PDA

View Full Version : X'Eye Importing Update.

Andrew
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
I started a thread about this a while back, but didn't feel like revival was a good idea, so posted a bit of new news here.

I imported a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (JP) off of Rinkya.

Popped it in my X'Eye's slot and lo and behold, it fits.

:roll:

That's where the fun ended. Boot it up, get that traditional style SEGA licensing screen, then a

DEVELOPED FOR PLAY ON NTSC MEGA DRIVE SYSTEMS ONLY

And I go, "WTFLOLBBQOMGZLMAO? This IS NTSC."

Apparently StH3 has a chip in the cart for region detection. However, you think they'd have said "Japanese Systems Only" rather than "NTSC".

This STILL leaves the question of "Will the X'Eye play imports?" open. I guess I need to import a different game and see-- any recommendations? XD

David J.
10-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Ever thought of using a Game Genie?

landstalkerx
10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Have you looked at this site, http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/gen2import.htm It should be similar, or mabey even the same as the wonder Mega

Elusive
10-07-2005, 04:38 PM
I started a thread about this a while back, but didn't feel like revival was a good idea, so posted a bit of new news here.

I imported a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (JP) off of Rinkya.

Popped it in my X'Eye's slot and lo and behold, it fits.

:roll:

That's where the fun ended. Boot it up, get that traditional style SEGA licensing screen, then a

DEVELOPED FOR PLAY ON NTSC MEGA DRIVE SYSTEMS ONLY

And I go, "WTFLOLBBQOMGZLMAO? This IS NTSC."

Apparently StH3 has a chip in the cart for region detection. However, you think they'd have said "Japanese Systems Only" rather than "NTSC".

This STILL leaves the question of "Will the X'Eye play imports?" open. I guess I need to import a different game and see-- any recommendations? XD

Sonic 3 is region AND frequencey-locked. I.E. it searches the graphic's chip running speed - 50Hz in Europe, 60Hz in Japan - then the console's built-in region - NTSC or PAL.

Europe = 50Hz PAL
USA = 60Hz NTSC
Japan/Korea = various; generally a PAL 60Hz signal

Your machine is set as 60Hz NTSC, the game wants to run on a mchine running on 60Hz PAL. Uurp, problem.