17daysolderthannes
06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
and why isn't mine higher?

Metal_Sonic
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I was wondering this too.

Dirt Ball Gamer
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
It has a lot to do with how cool you are in the nerd community. If you watch a lot of old star trek episodes it may rise slightly

Joe Redifer
06-14-2008, 01:29 AM
This was discussed in another thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own since I imagine a lot of people are wondering the same thing.

From the FAQ: (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=rep+power&match=all&titlesonly=0)

What is reputation?

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Reputation may be positive Positive Reputation Icon , negative Negative Reputation Icon or neutral Neutral Reputation Icon. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.

If you still have questions, ask.

17daysolderthannes
06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
It has a lot to do with how cool you are in the nerd community. If you watch a lot of old star trek episodes it may rise slightly

got it.

Mr Smith
06-14-2008, 05:30 PM
If you still have questions, ask.
Why is your reputation higher than everybody elses? Cheat!

My rep should be at least 30000 as I own every episode of Star Trek the Next Generation and love Partick Stewart as much as any man can love another man without it becoming gay.

VinnyT
06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
I was wondering why certain members have less rep power than they seem they should....

*shifty*

Unless power is decided simply based on how much you already received.

Joe Redifer
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Reputation just started now and is based on when the user joined, post count and stuff like that.

Gentlegamer
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Melf needs to mod it to read "MEGA POWER."

Dirt Ball Gamer
06-15-2008, 02:08 AM
I am going to single handedly boost Joe's rep into the thousands so when he corrects newbs(I call em pubes) on posts they shit themselves.

Vehemont
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh god please don't, he's already got plenty of "power" as it stands....

Joe Redifer
06-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I think the higher my rep power gets, the more crushing my bans will be.

Mr Smith
06-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Maybe when your rep power is at 100 when you ban somebody their computer screen will explode when they try to log onto Sega-16.

Although my rep power is only 11 (which has to be an error) I am first when you sort members by rep, which is odd. I imagine that my true rep is somewhere along the lines of 400 and there is a Sega-16 conspiricy, likely started by GK, to keep my rep low.

108 Stars
06-30-2008, 03:37 AM
For some odd reason my rep power is only 11 too. I demand more rep points!!!
I wouldnt wanna register hundreds of fake accounts here to raise my rep, so you better gimme rep!

Mr Smith
06-30-2008, 04:06 AM
I wouldnt wanna register hundreds of fake accounts here to raise my rep, so you better gimme rep!
While you're doing that, rep me up too. :) There's a good chap!

108 Stars
07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Whats this?
green rep is positive, red is negative, but what is grey? I received 2 grey reps, one for my above message. Id think it was neutral, but I myself only have the options of positive and negative!

And if grey is negative, then what is red? And who was the immoral creature giving me neutral or negative rep for my above post?

Rusty Venture
07-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I felt sorry for you and was going going to give your some rep....

but evidently since I already gave you rep I have to give others rep before I can give you more. :?

VinnyT
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I wonder how many others you have to give too before you can do the same person twice.

Mr Smith
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Agreed, I've been dishing out rep all over the forum (with not nearly enough given back) and still cannot double rep folk.

Mister X
07-01-2008, 06:36 PM
It's pointless egostroking

Melf
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I wonder how many others you have to give too before you can do the same person twice.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! LOLOLOLOL

Mr Smith
07-02-2008, 03:11 AM
It's pointless egostroking
What's your point?
Somebody pointless stroke my ego.

Rusty Venture
07-02-2008, 03:35 AM

Melf strikes with military caliber accuracy to bring the laughs.

108 Stars
07-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Melf, have you already given me positive rep? If not, DO IT NOW!!!

VinnyT
07-02-2008, 03:16 PM

Dude.....

No way Joe has more Rep Power than you. Seriously.

Joe Redifer
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
It's because I have more posts.

108 Stars
07-03-2008, 02:28 AM
12!!! Hooray!

megabomberman
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
There you go 108, now I must go find zebbe's, many an entertaining hour has been garnered from observing the two of ye fighting over rpgs....

GameUser-16-32-128
07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
What the hell!? Someone took away my rep point for posting in 17daysolderthannes's "lol, silly girls, Genesis is for kids" (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5003) thread. I think if someone is going to give you negative rep points, then there should be a legitimate reason as to why points are taken away. "disapprove" is not a very good reason to put in the comment, since it's very vague and doesn't make sense (back it up with a good reason as to why you disapprove) and I think there should also be a way to keep track of who gives and takes away rep points too. Anonymous rep tracking isn't good especially when someone out there could just be taking away points just for the hell of it. Ah oh well whatever. I agree with Mister X, Rep Power is nothing more than "pointless ego stroking". I'm not very concerned about it anymore now that I've written my little rant. It doesn't matter anymore. Go ahead and give me negative rep feedback everybody! Lets see how low this thing can go!

mick_aka
07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
GameUser-16-32-128, you care far too much about this rep shit lol

Kollision
07-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I still don't get this rep thing.
And I dont know how you can see that you've been negatively repped... (or maybe I was too lazy to figure it out)

GameUser-16-32-128
07-25-2008, 09:17 PM
GameUser-16-32-128, you care far too much about this rep shit lol

Yeah I'm not worried about it anymore. Ha! ha! ha!

GameUser-16-32-128
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I still don't get this rep thing.
And I dont know how you can see that you've been negatively repped... (or maybe I was too lazy to figure it out)

Well you can find out by checking out your User CP, but after posting my little rant a few minutes ago, it just vanished into internet space!

Joe Redifer
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
OK we should disable negative rep and allow users to see who gives rep. It's in the Usergroups control panel for individual usergroup permissions. I'd do it, but I don't have access.

108 Stars
07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Joe, Im surprised you are bothered so much by this rep thing...I have gotten tons of anonymous negative rep, and I have given quite some too; who cares? Its just a game after all.

What interests me much more is how much rep I have to spread until I can rep someone again? There were plenty of posts I would have loved to rep in the meantime, even from you (!), but it is still impossible.

wasp
07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Jtons of anonymous negative rep, and I have given quite some too; who cares? Its just a game after all.

108 told me in a rep that he was the Anonymous Negative Rep Baron. I guess this is his way of coming clean...

Mr Smith
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Joe, Im surprised you are bothered so much by this rep thing...I have gotten tons of anonymous negative rep, and I have given quite some too; who cares? Its just a game after all.

What interests me much more is how much rep I have to spread until I can rep someone again? There were plenty of posts I would have loved to rep in the meantime, even from you (!), but it is still impossible.
I agree with this entirely. It is just a bit of fun and it really doesn't matter if people are giving positive or negative rep. Does anybody take this rep stuff seriously?

Now somebody give me some more bloody posititve rep!

108 Stars
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
108 told me in a rep that he was the Anonymous Negative Rep Baron. I guess this is his way of coming clean...

Ahm....Im afraid I cant recall that particular rep....and if the words "Rep Baron" were used, Im pretty sure it wasnt me at all....if you just made that Rep Baron up, I must say I like it and would give you some positive rep if I could!

Joe Redifer
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Joe, Im surprised you are bothered so much by this rep thing.
It doesn't, it bothers many of the members. I can see who gives rep and I haven't gotten any negative yet (I imagine that just opened the flood gates).

The way I dealt with this lame issue over on Magic Box was to replace the green and red box GIFs with an invisible single-pixel. That way people are still allowed to play with rep (negative is turned off) but a person's rep isn't displayed to the world. I'd also turn off post counts if I could because anything that gives someone an excuse to act arrogant over another member on a forum to to some kind of perceived "seniority" is always a bad thing. But hey, what the fuck do I know? I only administer 3 forums so I must be full of shit.

Heh.

wasp
07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
if you just made that Rep Baron up, I must say I like it and would give you some positive rep if I could!

Regrettably no. I could be mistaken but Rusty Venture (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95041&postcount=1338) seems to hold the honor.

Iron Lizard
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Well it makes sense though. I mean the Rep Baron sounds like Red Baron. Who else would use that except german guy :)

Rusty Venture
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I would, and I'm more English than I am German.

wasp is 10,000% correct that I coined the name.

Where's my royalties!

wasp
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Where's my royalties!

I'm a little down in the slums, what with the recession and all. Do you accept hugs as payment?

Tanegashima
08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
double post sorry...

Tanegashima
08-01-2008, 01:38 AM
It doesn't, it bothers many of the members. I can see who gives rep and I haven't gotten any negative yet (I imagine that just opened the flood gates).

The way I dealt with this lame issue over on Magic Box was to replace the green and red box GIFs with an invisible single-pixel. That way people are still allowed to play with rep (negative is turned off) but a person's rep isn't displayed to the world. I'd also turn off post counts if I could because anything that gives someone an excuse to act arrogant over another member on a forum to to some kind of perceived "seniority" is always a bad thing. But hey, what the fuck do I know? I only administer 3 forums so I must be full of shit.

Heh.

So like post count does not equal seniority/experience but because you administrate three forums that does translate to seniority and experience? Huh.

I don't know what rep power is, but I do know that I must have more of it.

Rusty Venture
08-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Do you accept hugs as payment?

No. I accept Euros or Pounds...Pounds preferably.

Whoever bumped my rep a shit-ton, thanks for the 2nd green square!

Joe Redifer
08-01-2008, 03:09 AM
So like post count does not equal seniority/experience but because you administrate three forums that does translate to seniority and experience?.

Heh.

108 Stars
08-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey, what happened?!?!

Now Rusty Venture has 3 green squares while I have only one left!

GIMME POSITIVE REP! MY EGO NEEDS IT!!!!

EDIT: I know what happened....some assholes repped me negative for no reason...see the "your negative rep"-thread. Now I want REVENGE!!!

Mr Smith
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey, what happened?!?!

Now Rusty Venture has 3 green squares while I have only one left!

GIMME POSITIVE REP! MY EGO NEEDS IT!!!!

EDIT: I know what happened....some assholes repped me negative for no reason...see the "your negative rep"-thread. Now I want REVENGE!!!

The same thing happened to me. My second bar of rep was the only good thing in my life and some git has taken it away from me. :(

108 Stars
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Herr Schmitt, we will see this through together and take bloody vengeance!

Rusty Venture
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I seem to have befriended the "Anonymous Positive Rep Baron".

Tanegashima
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
It was a joke joe...just cause you want to kill me and grab all my Neo geo stuff doesn't give you the right to be so snippy. Speaking of snippy, like how many positive reps do you need before you get two bars? I mean, joe has a 30 rep but only one bar? what gives? Oh and now its disabled

108 Stars
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Tanegashima, I love your signature quote!
I would give you positive rep, but I am unable too with my power below zero!

Tanegashima
08-01-2008, 09:05 PM
This is an injustice! I can't give you rep either because I need to "spread it around!" what a JAM!

Joe Redifer
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Where did I get snippy at you, Tan? I just pointed out that my post was intentionally hypocritical, hence the "Heh" at the end.

Tanegashima
08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Where did I get snippy at you, Tan? I just pointed out that my post was intentionally hypocritical, hence the "Heh" at the end.

I was merely being facetious...I mean you answered with a . how snippy could that possibly have been?

Joe Redifer
08-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh... I had to put the . in because it said I needed to enter at least one character. Apparently quotes don't count as actual text.

Melf
08-02-2008, 09:24 PM
OK we should disable negative rep and allow users to see who gives rep.

Done.

Elusive
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
auuug you're listening to the big whiny babies Melf :(

EVERYONE I HAVE FOIND A SOLUTION TO THE PORBLEM (http://www.reputationmd.com/)

Metal_Sonic
08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
108 Stars, Elusive has insulted you, DEFEND YOUR HONOR!

dragonboy
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
why isn't it letting me to give reps to people?

probablee
08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
why isn't it letting me to give reps to people?

I think you have to give reps to different people, before you give rep to your favourites again.:daze:

dragonboy
08-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I think you have to give reps to different people, before you give rep to your favourites again.:daze:

I never was able to give reps.

TmEE
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
you have now positive rep power... maybe now you can ?

108 Stars
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, you were in the negative points of rep...
if you have -3 Rep Points or something you cannot rep anyone.

Rusty Venture
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I have tons 'o rep and it tells me I have to spread rep around to others.

Joe, however, could rep me tons of times (which he did) without getting some silly message.

I think baby jesus is starting to tear up over this.

ThunderForce
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Why I'm getting the feeling that Rep Power is also known as who has the biggest e-penis?

Rusty Venture
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Do little green squares intimidate you?

ThunderForce
08-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Yes.

Don't make your e-penis drag on the floor.

LOL.

acdc
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
title say s it

cause i need to give some to thunderforce the man deserves it

playgen
08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
At the left of every post, underneath the name and avatar of the user, theres a little weighing scales icon. Click on that and you can give positive rep to the person who wrote the post, and leave a message if you want.

acdc
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
title say s it

cause i need to give some to thunderforce the man deserves it

alright 1 for you for helping me out:D

Zebbe
08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
But you have 0 rep power so it won't help if you give him any yet. Wait until you have at least 1 rep power.

By the way, this is the fourth Rep thread :D.

Mr Smith
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't worry, Joe will close this one just like the many others, lest his hideous abuse of the rep system becomes more ingrained in the minds of the Sega-16 faithful!

Joe Redifer
08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Giving rep isn't just about the points, so don't wait until you get more rep. He will still get your +rep comment to read.

And yes, this should have gone into the other rep thread. I shall merge them!

acdc
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
But you have 0 rep power so it won't help if you give him any yet. Wait until you have at least 1 rep power.

By the way, this is the fourth Rep thread :D.

shit
i have seven to give somebody give me one and i ill give you two
how s that

Joe Redifer
08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
NO rep bargaining!

Mr Smith
08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Why not? Rep is Sega-16 currency, it's a bit like cigarettes in prison.

108 Stars
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
nly difference is that rep cant be smuggled in your after.

acdc
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
nly difference is that rep cant be smuggled in your after.

you ve done time in prison didn t ye

and some rep for mr smith why not

but when you give someone rep
you have to put some lines why you do it
somebody gave me 2 rep points where can i see who thee where

Joe Redifer
08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Click on UserCP and it should show you.

dragonboy
08-08-2008, 09:50 PM
you have now positive rep power... maybe now you can ?

still not letting me

TheRollingStoner
08-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Why is your reputation higher than everybody elses? Cheat!

My rep should be at least 30000 as I own every episode of Star Trek the Next Generation and love Partick Stewart as much as any man can love another man without it becoming gay.
If that is so, that is not love at all. Go gay, or no way.

TmEE
10-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Does the rep thing even function ?

I've given some people +1 and there has been no change in the number.......

Zebbe
10-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Your number changes as they rep you. Their number is invisible to you, but per 100 points everyone gets another bar. So if one has 88 points and you rep them, they get a second bar then.

TmEE
10-16-2008, 08:30 AM
The Rep Power number I see under your avatar pic won't change when I give you some...

TheEdge
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I demand more rep.

That is all

Zebbe
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
The Rep Power number I see under your avatar pic won't change when I give you some...

Rep power is based on your number of posts. And the power number is what is added when you rep someone else.

TmEE
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
never mind... it seems to work now

Iron Lizard
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Mine went from a 8 to a 9. It must take a certain amount of points.

TheEdge
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I am pleased

Lord Dilks
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't really get this rep stuff, but two people (Phantar & Mr Smith) have been kind enough to give me some. Cheers guys. :D

TheEdge
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I just got bad rep. How do I do that?

Mr Smith
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I just got bad rep. How do I do that?
You should be able to see who gave you the rep.

Iron Lizard
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought bad rep was turned off.

MrMatthews
10-20-2008, 02:11 PM
I guess not. I saw someone else around here with a bad rep mark.

Iron Lizard
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
It must be old. I still have a bad one from a while ago or at least I did until a week or two back.

TheEdge
10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Dam you Joe Redifer!!!!

TmEE
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Joe told he'd give bad rep to anyone who asks for rep... you did, thus the punishment for your crime

TheEdge
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I did not know of this law!

Mr Smith
10-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Is Joe giving out negative rep when it has been turned off for everybody else? :o

MrMatthews
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Is the opposite true? Because I don't want rep

Rusty Venture
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
If you try that "reverse psychology" stuff Joe will just give you positive rep and mock you, making you feel small and inferior.

MrMatthews
10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Small and inferior . . . but with power!

Rusty Venture
10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I's say that with great rep power comes great responsibility....but thats not true.

acdc
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
i prefer rep than rap music

does that make sense

TmEE
10-21-2008, 03:07 PM
rap is crap....

Zebbe
10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Word.

Mr Smith
10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
:o Lies!

Rep power is awesome.

VinnyT
10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
*whisper* I can edit rep power too....*/whisper*

Aqua Hedgehog
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow...someone asks a noob question and it turns to an 8 page thread. I'd ask one of the best questions out there like why banning isn't very common, yet positively contributing members are very rare, it turns to a 10 page jackassery thread around the first 5 posts. It doesn't make much sense.

Joe Redifer
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
If you'd like banning to be more common, we'd be happy to start with you!

Iron Lizard
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM

+1

TmEE
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Aqua, tell something more about this forum :)

Dirt Ball Gamer
10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
*whisper* I can edit rep power too....*/whisper*

Dude, hook me up with like the ultimate negative rep, like -187 rep would b sick son

Rusty Venture
10-22-2008, 01:08 AM

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/ccliddle/oh_snap.gif

Dirt Ball Gamer
10-22-2008, 02:20 AM

Newbz beware Joe is the Grigori Rasputin of SEGA-16

Mr Smith
10-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Newbz beware Joe is the Grigori Rasputin of SEGA-16
:o Lies! Rasputin was a small cuddly puppy compared to Joe, whom we love and fear in equal measure.

acdc
10-23-2008, 04:25 PM
:o Lies! Rasputin was a small cuddly puppy compared to Joe, whom we love and fear in equal measure.

lies common lies raputin still lives but i call him dad

do you also get rep by posting i had my 500 post and i get a green square no wonder that you can double post and people get pissed cough cough joe cough

MrMatthews
11-12-2008, 12:12 PM
So how much rep does one have to spread around before you can apply it to someone you've rep'd up previously?

Da_Shocker
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM
So how much rep does one have to spread around before you can apply it to someone you've rep'd up previously?

That is what I need to know.

JDB
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
necrobumping threads make me cry because it reminds me of a time Rusty Venture was around :'-(

profholt82
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
necrobumping threads make me cry because it reminds me of a time Rusty Venture was around :'-(

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/dawson-crying.jpg

JDB
01-08-2012, 01:47 PM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/10/dawson-crying.jpg

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/random-thoughts/158816d1253138367-demotivational-posters-funny-but-sad-funny_motivational_posters_4.jpg
you've never been touched by Rusty

sheath
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Rep Power is.. what no man can give ye, and no one can take away. Rep Power is a mans gift to himself.
Q: Do women have it?
A: Women are the heart of honor - and we cherish and protect it in them. You must never mistreat a woman, or malign a man. Or stand by and see another do so.
Q: How do you know if you have it?
A: Never worry in the getting of it. It grows in ye and speaks to ye. All you need to do is listen."