PDA

View Full Version : A Rarity Guide? PLEASE READ

The Sports Guy
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
The guys over at Atari Age do this with their games and link them to their reviews - I think that it would be a great idea if we could do this with our games. We could even still use the Master Lists tab and just include the Rarity Level - a box scan or picture of it and a link to the reviews on our site and/or others. I know a few other video game reviewers (Video Game Critic, etc.) that do a decent and unbiased short little snippet about it.

I don't know the first thing about making/building a webpage - but I would be willing to spearhead this effort if we can. It would make the Master Lists section worth looking at - and make our site look a lot better.

Whaddya think?

VinnyT
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I brought this up YEARS ago, but we decided that DP is pretty much spot on and not worth really cataloging.

vintagegamecrazy
08-27-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm primarily on DP, their guide is pretty good but in short supply of help so maybe we can work to improve and update their guide.

The Sports Guy
08-27-2008, 01:24 AM
I dont use DP (which I assume is digit press). I still think it is a good idea here, but its not one of those things that can be done all by yourself.

I tell ya guys, it will look better. We can do both maybe - just adopt a number system and grab pics from our own games or places and it could be an ongoing project.

Zebbe
08-27-2008, 05:49 AM
If there would be a rarity guide here, I'd put it compared to DP's scale like this:

1-5: Common
6-7: Uncommon
8-9: Rare
10: Ultr@ R@re

108 Stars
08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
The DP guide is FAR from spot-on, especially considering Mega Drive. It would be great to have a rarity guide here.

The Sports Guy
08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Thats cool with the common - but we should use a color and number so they know how common or rare it is within that group.

Lets do it like make say Sonic 2 is a Green (shape or picture and then the number 1 inside the green shape).

We have to make it as accurate as we can - any ideas on how to get started? Lets get this going!

Zebbe
08-27-2008, 12:47 PM
I say let's NOT make it as accurate as we can - it is too hard and rarity even changes over time for some games.

playgen
08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Agreed making an actually accurate list is a lot of work, and not really possible. Basically rarity and price is to most people based on what appears on ebay, and its very much the case that games appear in patterns there. Games can not appear for months and months, and then one sells for higher than typical and suddenly loads appear all the time.

A rarity list also has a negative effect, as people end up taking the list as fact, and use the guide price as a starting price when selling. And people often end up buying games purely for their rarity value, not to play them, driving prices up for those that do really want them.

Fact is most Megadrive games are worth hardly anything at all, most people are aware of the few games that are rare/expensive anyway, because there aren't many of them being that they are rare. And if in doubt about rarity just ask on a forum like this, or use the completed auction search on ebay, and you'll get a more up to date answer than you'd get from a list.

If you really must do a rarity list, just do a list of the actual rare games. Including sonics, EA sports games and all would just be a waste of time.

ninjabearhug
08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Although i do really like the idea of a rarity guide, i agree with playgen and zebbe.

It's hard enough trying to track a top twenty of rare games for any one region, tracking the medium rarity games would be near impossible.

108 Stars
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Including sonics, EA sports games and all would just be a waste of time.

Do you mean EA Sports games are not really rare?:confused:

Benjamin
08-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I hate rarity guides since they feed into price speculating, needlessly driving prices up. If you really wanted to have such a guide, it'd be far better to create some dynamic bot that would crawl eBay (and perhaps Yahoo auctions, CtCC, and any other similar sites) trolling for the low, high, and median sale prices over specified periods of time. As others have noted, prices do flucuate -- Christmas NiGHTS tends to sell higher during the months leading up to Christmas, for example, but that seasonal increase should be factored into an average or peak selling price as opposed to the norm.

I still don't like the idea, but at least be quasi-accurate as opposed to DP or other guesswork lists.

The Sports Guy
08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
I really want to do this - I really like what the Atari Age guys are doing with theirs. There should be some sort of accuracy to it - I mean the system is discontinued so no new games are coming out in most places.

We can do this if we can just do it right and stay organized. We have to find a system of doing it so its open to everyone's input - like a voting system on the Master List Page and you have to be a registered forum member and if you click something - it says that this many people own it and shows the corresponding number.

We can do this guys - itll give us a reason to use the master list page, and it will be cool to finally get pics of games on the master list.

Like I said, I am willing to spearhead this - I just dont know the tech stuff to do the actual website work.

ninjabearhug
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
We have to find a system of doing it so its open to everyone's input - like a voting system on the Master List Page and you have to be a registered forum member and if you click something - it says that this many people own it and shows the corresponding number.

That wouldn't tell you how rare a game was, just how many people have it. The hardest part about figuring out rarity of games, is keeping track of what happens to the rare games. For instance: A reseller buys one of the harder to find games cheap, then sells it a week later. If you're tracking how many times games are listed on auction sites, this same game will more than likely turn up twice, instantly screwing around with your figures.

If you really want to do this though, don't let me put you off. I just think it's a lot of hard work for something that would need changing daily to stay accurate.

Mr Smith
08-29-2008, 04:37 AM
The problem with rarity guides is that it differs from region to region. While it is a nice idea, in theory, the business of coming up with accurate numbers for hundreds of Mega Drive games is insane. Nobody will agree on everything and it will be skewed subjectively based on each collectors experiences of trying to acquire certain games.

Tanegashima
08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
There was a game store I went to that based their prices on their inventory and how often they got a used copy of said game. For instance, about two years ago (before they moved away) they 12 copies of MUSHA all were $9 each because they had so many. Certain games were a given, like Sonic and Vectorman were .25 cents CIB. But this would backfire too, if it were a game the owner never heard of and never saw they just assumed it was rare and would over charge (Splatterhouse 3 CIB going for $90 for instance). So there really is no good "fair" way to do it except bidding. Most of the time, we have to eat a high price if its a few dollars more simply because of a perception rather than reality.

Mordan
08-30-2008, 05:33 PM
The problem with rarity guides is that it differs from region to region. While it is a nice idea, in theory, the business of coming up with accurate numbers for hundreds of Mega Drive games is insane. Nobody will agree on everything and it will be skewed subjectively based on each collectors experiences of trying to acquire certain games.

if I understood the OP, his idea is to complement a rarity guide.

I like the idea of the OP. Rarity values are feeded by the users + I have the game. Technically, just add 2 fields / one table in the DB. and update the page to show rarity value and #number of people owning the game.

have that only people with like 50 posts may input rarity values

EDIT and make it public who gave what rarity value.

playgen
08-30-2008, 05:53 PM
But ownership of a game by fans on a fan website won't give a true rarity value. Since people on here seek out and want to have the rare games, you would quite likely end up with a common but terrible game nobody wants coming out as being rarer than a genuinely rare game.

acdc
09-12-2008, 09:17 AM
A rarity list also has a negative effect, as people end up taking the list as fact, and use the guide price as a starting price when selling. And people often end up buying games purely for their rarity value, not to play them, driving prices up for those that do really want them.

YES COMPLETY TRUE
that s why had to pay 150 euro s for snowbrothers cause everybody says it s rare there only 2000 made or something like that
and 10 euro s for gleylancer cause the men didn t now what he was selling
why others ask 100 euro s for the sam game

no listing of rare games cause then the folks who are selling there old stuff and maybe read this gonna sell expensive and that s not what i need

i m a dutch man yes i m a little greedy but to spend 150 euro s on a game that i yust play from time to time cause i was in a bidding war stupid that i was cause everbody was saying it was rare

SO NO RARITY LIST
cause every dumb dick is gonna sell his games expensive cause it s rare

Jesse813
09-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Do you mean EA Sports games are not really rare?:confused:

LOL. There the most common games out there. mainly cause they suck ;)

The Sports Guy
09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
thats not true at all, you just dont like them.

retrospiel
09-13-2008, 07:46 PM
If there would be a rarity guide here, I'd put it compared to DP's scale like this:

1-5: Common
6-7: Uncommon
8-9: Rare
10: Ultr@ R@re

*: Common
**: Uncommon
***: Rare

108 Stars
09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
*: Common
**: Uncommon
***: Rare

Before we start such a simplistic guide we should let it be. 3 ratings are a joke.

retrospiel
09-14-2008, 09:50 AM
*****: Ultr@ R@re
****: Rare
***: Uncommon
**: Common
*: EA Sports

TmEE
09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
EA sprots :lawl:

The Sports Guy
09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Just change EA sports to ultra common or something than we can get started.

Zebbe
09-14-2008, 04:10 PM

:lol: How about this?

******: Tetris

Noiman
09-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Zebbe finalized it :)

retrospiel
09-16-2008, 06:09 PM
How about this?

*****: Mega Anser

Fixed. ;)

TmEE
09-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I like Ultr@ R@re more :P

retrospiel
09-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, well to get back on topic, we actually don't need that many categories, four or five at max should do. - Who would know the exact numbers of a production run ? A rough guess and little research has to do the job, me thinks.

TmEE
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Little research of your own should be sufficient to prevent price bloating I think....

Jesse813
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
:lol: How about this?

I like Zebes Rarity Rating System best since it Puts EA Sports on the bottom

retrospiel
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Let's have a look at how other sites handle this: http://www.neo-geo.com/mvs/mvs.html

C : common
U : uncommon
R : rare
ER: extremely rare
EC: extremely common

I think we're not too far away, but tbh I don't really understand the difference between common and extremely common: If it's worthless, it's worthless. There's no way for anything to be more worthless than worthless.

ER would be Tetris and Mega Answer, as well as the Asian originals maybe. Anyone having examples for the other categories ?

Zebbe
09-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Rare: Gleylancer, Snow Bros., Slap Fight MD
Uncommon: Daze Before Christmas, Phantasy Star: Fukko Kuban, Pulseman
Common: Chiki Chiki Boys, Fire Shark, Quackshot

The Sports Guy
09-18-2008, 12:39 AM
ive actually never seen a copy of Chiki Chiki and Fire Shark in my life.

Sergeant_Sega
09-18-2008, 07:14 AM

Haha, loved the lowest ranking :p

But how does one determine how "rare" a game is?

playgen
09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Haha, loved the lowest ranking :p

But how does one determine how "rare" a game is?

Basically by whats listed on ebay. If you tried doing it based on what you could find in your local area, most stuff would be rare.]
Really though who needs a rarity list, the vast majority of megadrive games are hardly worth anything at all. It would be easier to just make a list of the games that do fetch over 10/$20, and ignore everything else.

Sergeant_Sega
09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Basically by whats listed on ebay. If you tried doing it based on what you could find in your local area, most stuff would be rare.]
Really though who needs a rarity list, the vast majority of megadrive games are hardly worth anything at all. It would be easier to just make a list of the games that do fetch over 10/$20, and ignore everything else.

Value of the games is the most difficult to decide on I think. I never really know if I "overpay" on the games I buy. I recently bought Addams Family for the MD for 28, I don't know if that was too much.

The game was in crazy good condition, and I got into a bidderwar with another Norwegian collector, so that might've pushed the price a bit.

Jesse813
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
ive actually never seen a copy of Chiki Chiki and Fire Shark in my life.

They have a bunch of copies Chiki Chiki on Amazon and Half.com for 5$-10$, im not sure about Fireshark, I saw it a while ago though in the local pawn shop for 5$

Mr Smith
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Rare: Gleylancer, Snow Bros., Slap Fight MD
Uncommon: Daze Before Christmas, Phantasy Star: Fukko Kuban, Pulseman
Common: Chiki Chiki Boys, Fire Shark, Quackshot
Right, the rarity guide is complete. Close this thread!

Mordan
09-18-2008, 06:00 PM
such a list would be fun though. we will all know its value. i really wish as I find this site fast and guardiana is slow. I still don't know how to input my games there. I have to press 4-5 clicks for inputing every game. sucks