PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dangerous MD demo released

pascal
10-29-2008, 05:37 AM
I released the whole Rick Dangerous game. head to www.pascalorama.com for the rom

enjoy

Dirt Ball Gamer
10-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Awesome!

acdc
10-29-2008, 06:45 AM
damn another game for the megadrive double damn i hope your gonna produce more games for it

Alianger
10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Looks like a very accurate port, good job :)
Perhaps a little too accurate, Rick Dangerous is a sadistic game.

I'm not sure if it's accurate to the original or not, but the hitbox for Rick seemed too big.
You can get hit by a savage even when standing on a ledge above him and not actually getting touched, also by the spikes that you use dynamite on just by touching them with the tip of your hat.

I would really prefer to have the jump control set to a button instead of "up" because it feels odd and interferes with climbing vines in the background.

One bug I found is that the sound disappears when you load a savestate.

pascal
10-29-2008, 07:02 AM
thanks , it's really an accurate port, actualy the atari st version was totaly reverse engineered (it's not a port of xrick). So it's the same ;)

I would really prefer to have the jump control set to a button instead of "up" because it feels odd and interferes with climbing vines in the background.

One bug I found is that the sound disappears when you load a savestate.

For the controls, we kept the original setup. At that time, all computer gamers were playing with genesis pads, that give a more authentic feeling :)

for the bug of sound, it's actully not one ,as this game is made for the hardware and no save states there ;)

regards

pascal

Alianger
10-29-2008, 07:14 AM
For the controls, we kept the original setup. At that time, all computer gamers were playing with genesis pads, that give a more authentic feeling :)

Maybe I misunderstand but I don't remember anyone playing this game with a genesis pad. Anyway it's pretty standard for MD games to have jump set to a button or have configurable controls, I suggest this because I used a joypad playing this demo and kept accidentally jumping when I didn't want to.

Found another bug that is more relevant - In the last room if you crouch into the wall to the right (the block you are supposed to blow up), the block kills you. Maybe this happens at other parts as well.

pascal
10-29-2008, 07:24 AM
thanks, i gonna check if the block killing is present in the original version.

about the joypad, i understand ur point of view. i'll look for adding a configurable controls

Phantar
10-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Maybe I misunderstand but I don't remember anyone playing this game with a genesis pad. Anyway it's pretty standard for MD games to have jump set to a button or have configurable controls, I suggest this because I used a joypad playing this demo and kept accidentally jumping when I didn't want to.

I did. Granted, I wasn't playing the Atari ST, but the Amgia 500-version. Both are virtaully identical, though. I was preferring to play a number of games with the Genesis pad instead of the Amiga joystick - the handling simply felt better.

Rick Dangerous! Man, that is one of the games from my old Amiga days that I had prayed for seeing a Genesis-version of! You make a dream come true here!
Though I agree, it would be preferable if jump would have its own button. On Amiga or Atari hardware, "up" for jump was a necessity since you only had one firebutton (and so the Joystick port interpreted each button on a gamepad just the same). But for the Genesis with its three-button-controls, that wouldn't be necessary - it would actually give the opportunity to seriously improve the control scheme! (One of the reasons I ever hoped for seeing a Genesis port of this games was because I hoped for improved controls, not for seeing a direct 1-to-1-port.)

By the way, on your homepage you talk about trading the cart version for Genesis stuff. What do you mean by that? (I'd have the odd pirate hack cart lying around that I could be persuaded to trade in...)

pascal
10-29-2008, 09:51 AM
thanks for your kinds words ;)

About the controls, i agree with all yours comments, we should use the 3 buttons. but the problem is that we have 4 actions and only 3 buttons. We have Stab,Dynamite,Fire and Jump. So the best we can get, is to have a Action button combined with direction (stab,dynamite & fire) and 1 button for jumping. is that okay with you ? Any better ideas welcome :p

About the trading, well, i can not sale the game. So i'll only trade it for others genesis games (that will help me to expand my md collection ^^). I'll sell it (at cost price) only if there's no possibilities to trading (shipping cost to expensive for both). But trading is my first option.

Melf
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
This is awesome! I'm not really familiar with the series, but it looks like a fun game. This is something that definitely deserves to be previewed. We'll have to whip something up.

retrospiel
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Thank you so much for releasing this demo !

- It's been a while since I first read about your work on Rick Dangerous MD (must have been 2003 or 2004), but it's well worth the wait! :D

So the best we can get, is to have a Action button combined with direction (stab,dynamite & fire) and 1 button for jumping.

That does sound good, but I would propose:

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump
A or B or C + down = dynamite

Optional support for the 6-button controllers would be nice:

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump
X/Y/Z = dynamite

Phantar
10-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think 6-button-control would be necessary...

I'd go with something like:
A - stab
B+left/right - shoot left/right
B+down - dynamite
C - Jump

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Congratulations, Pascal! :D

For me personally I would suggest including a n00b mode with passwords or an energy bar.^^

Joe Redifer
10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't understand... I thought all new Mega Drive/Genesis games were supposed to be RPGs. I thought it was some kind of law. It seems nobody wants to make platformers these days. Are RPGs easier to make (well) or something?

EDIT: I'll probably skip this game. Feels too European and they make odd platformers with odd controls. No jump button! Instead I must press UP. I guess the answer to my platformer vs RPG question has been answered.

Zebbe
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Apart from the RPG Pier Solar, the only new game I know of is Frog Feast, which is clearly not a RPG. So there are more new non-RPGs, which makes sense, because RPGs are harder/more time-consuming to make.

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Also CA the Meowian has been announced to be a runīn gun.

Joe Redifer
10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Uh, Beggar Prince and the other Wutang Clan game or whatever it is called? Sure, not new from the bottom up, but even this is a port of an pre-existing game.

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
It depends on what you define as new; new from bottom up games in development are mostly no RPGs. Not all are officially announced yet though.

And for ports or translations of existing games, it is BP and Wukong for RPGs, and Rick Dangerous and Teenage Queen for other genres. A draw. ;)

Zebbe
10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Pfft. Non-RPGs win 3-2, they also have Frog Feast!

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh, correct, Frog Feast is one hell of a game! :D
How could I forget it?

Joe Redifer
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
OK how's this: The only ones that get any discussion are RPGs.

retrospiel
10-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I would propose:

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump
X/Y/Z = dynamite

I don't think 6-button-control would be necessary...

I'd go with something like:
A - stab
B+left/right - shoot left/right
B+down - dynamite
C - Jump

- How about freely configurable button mapping ? :)

pascal: I played it, and aside of the control issue (and the game not yet using FM), this demo is pure gold! :D

Joe Redifer
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
It sounds like a duck quacking when he dies.

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Any chance for slight visual enhancements in the final compared to the Atari ST version? Or maybe some extra level to make the MD version unique?

Whatever, I am looking forward to this!

How long will you take to complete it?

Phantar
10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Just played the demo, and the game was almost like I remembered it, right down to the sound effects. Though I seem to remember the main theme sounding better in the old Amiga incarnation, though that mind be just a trick of my memory...

Just a minor gripe: As mentioned before, the colission detection seems a bit off: At the passage where you have to detonate two rocks on the ground, they kill you off even though you don't seem to be touching them at all. Same goes for the bat.

But then again, the game was always a tough, if not brutal one. A port well done! Should there be any enhancements, then I'd feel like I was in heaven. If not, I'd still be absolutely happy.

Bramsworth
10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I have to admit when i read on the site you're going to produce "cards" I thought you guys meant playing cards. Are cartridges referred to as cards in europe or something?

108 Stars
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
No, but you cannot expect everyone to speak perfect English. Cartridges are refered to "carts" in english, and he just mistook them for cards.

Itīs not easy to speak in a foreign language.

Joe Redifer
10-30-2008, 01:33 AM
English is not a foreign language!

Cards are for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 and in some cases, the Sega Master System. Maybe Rick Dangerous will be a card that is played on the Genesis with the Power Base Converter. All of the music was PSG!

Dirt Ball Gamer
10-30-2008, 04:25 AM
Pfft. Non-RPGs win 3-2, they also have Frog Feast!

And mighty mighty missile;). Would be great to have 6 button control options but 3 button default so everyone is happy. Ima 6 button man myself. Ill definitly buy this when it comes out

pascal
10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
heyhey thanks all for your nice comments :p

Sorry for the engrish :p it's corrected thanks for pointing it out.

I just added configurable inputs as my top priority :p
i see it like that :
1 button : Stab
1 button : fire (down will be dynamite)
1 button : jump
i think that scheme gonna pleased everyone . Well hope so :p

I'm not planning to improve the graphics as i'm a programming guy and I'm a crap at drawing too :p so if someone propose himself to redraw sprites, i'll appreciate :)

The game is almost completed, i just need to include fm sound. and do some menu.

regards

pascal

Phantar
10-30-2008, 06:17 PM
sweet :D looking forward to that release of yours!

retrospiel
10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I just added configurable inputs as my top priority :p
i see it like that :
1 button : Stab
1 button : fire (down will be dynamite)
1 button : jump
i think that scheme gonna pleased everyone . Well hope so :p

That sounds great! :D

I'm not planning to improve the graphics as i'm a programming guy and I'm a crap at drawing too :p so if someone propose himself to redraw sprites, i'll appreciate :)

Personally I think tat the sprites look very good as they are - if at all then it would be the background tiles that maybe could use some work. (although I can live with the current ones too ;) )

The game is almost completed, i just need to include fm sound. and do some menu.

Well, you got a customer here :)

Smii
10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
"We're planning to produce cards once the game is finished."
I think you missed one ;)

If the game is "tradeware", what kind of games will you want? I mean, I've a whole box of Sonic 2s & Fifas sitting around, but I'd guess you want good stuff...?

pascal
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
smii: i got enought Fifa and sonic 2, i'll post later the game i've. any missing is a gud stuff ;)

i go to france this w-e for the RGC (retro gaming convention), there'll be more surprise about rick md ;)

tomaitheous
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Pascal: Awesome! :D I'm not sure if you're that same pascal that drops by #utopiasoft once in a while, but if you are - do you plan on any other ports of this game?

pascal
10-31-2008, 05:17 PM
tomaitheous thanks, yes it's me on utopiasoft :p

i'm not thinking to do ports , as it's 100% asm (thought pce port'd be cool ^^)

Smii
11-01-2008, 02:21 AM
smii: i got enought Fifa and sonic 2, i'll post later the game i've. any missing is a gud stuff ;)

Ok - well, I have plenty of spares, so I'll probably have something you need :) I would like one, even though it's an unforgiving git of a game for your average, unskilled, lame-arse player (like me! :p)

Zebbe
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I just played the demo and it was a very nice experience. I like the music and the sound effects a lot, especially that "See-Waaahh!" :D. The graphics are a little grainy (I wonder how they will look on RF :P), but the controls were good and it was fun to play :).

Bramsworth
11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
No, but you cannot expect everyone to speak perfect English. Cartridges are refered to "carts" in english, and he just mistook them for cards.

Itīs not easy to speak in a foreign language.

Trust me, I know :P I didn't mean any offense by it.

Anyway, it's nice to see more people are getting into genesis dev. Maybe there will be some sort of amateur industry of genesis games being produced if it keeps going at this rate :)

NeoVamp
11-03-2008, 11:44 PM

Maybe a silly question but why not use the redrawn sprites/bg's that were made for the (now canceled) GBA port?

http://spoutnick.free.fr/ST/viewgames.php3?id=1

pascal
11-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Zebbe : great to hear at least someone not complaining about the "computer" feeling playability ;)

NeoVamp: that's a gud question. In fact, the graphic artist left the team, and the copyright on his work. So we can not use them anymore.

EDIT
I just discovered that our previous graphic artist gave them to the team who was responsible of the mobile version commercial one, but was canned at the end by telco games :
http://gouky.com/?menu_nav=PROJECTS&sub=RICKWII

regards

NeoVamp
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
NeoVamp: that's a gud question. In fact, the graphic artist left the team, and the copyright on his work. So we can not use them anymore.

EDIT
I just discovered that our previous graphic artist gave them to the team who was responsible of the mobile version commercial one, but was canned at the end by telco games :
http://gouky.com/?menu_nav=PROJECTS&sub=RICKWII

regards

Poor Rick, both his remake games end up getting canned..
Perhaps it would be possible to contact the graphics artist about using his remade sprites/bg's?

Well unless he sold the rights to telco games..

108 Stars
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If the artist left the team and did not allow Pascal to use the gfx anymore in the first place it is unlikely he will change his mind now.

Also, even that would probably need some heavy re-editing since the GBA has many colors the MD does not have....

NeoVamp
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Also, even that would probably need some heavy re-editing since the GBA has many colors the MD does not have....

But if done right it would probably look similar to Pitfall the Mayan Adventure.
(which imo did the jungle theme well)

but if he does not want to let his graphics be used then there's not much that can be done.

pascal
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
As i promised, here's the surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cYiuUx6Pc

enjoy ^^

108 Stars
11-04-2008, 05:34 PM
The power of YouTube embedded! ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3cYiuUx6Pc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3cYiuUx6Pc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pascal
01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
happy new year all :)

i restarted working on rick. As you have may have noticed on the video, Rick Dangerous 2 gonna be included in the cart :p I've reworked the pad layout a bit differently i announced. The new scheme work with 2 buttons : Action & jump
- Action work as before (up+Action=gun , down+action=dynamite, direction+action = stab)
- and jump button

there's 3 layout in the game :
1) A=action B=jump C=action
2) B=action B=jump C=action
3) original game layout with 1 action button

It's easier for me to adopt that layout, i don't have to modify a lot the original source code (so less tests :p)

regards

retrospiel
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I'd still prefer this scenario:

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump

A = stab
B = fire
C = jump
X/Y/Z = dynamite

...or freely customizable buttons ;)

But, you're the developer, and your proposed control scheme doesn't sound too bad either.

TmEE
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
A will have to be jump for me, otherwise I'll have to dig out my slightly modified controller ;)

pascal
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
no worry, you'll be able to jump with the A button

Chris, sorry to force such config, but that really make my life easier :p anyway it's in the spirit of old genesis game ^^

Phantar
01-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh, Rick 2 as well? Great :D

btw, does it have to have the Atari sounds like in the demo? Call me nitpicky, but I liked the sounds of the A500-version better...

pascal
01-08-2009, 04:24 AM
the sound is totaly in rework. In the demo, all the sounds are pcm ripped from the ST. But thanks to Tiido, we're now using FM for the music so it won't be ST nor Amiga but pure MD :p

retrospiel
01-08-2009, 04:48 AM
This will be great! I really can't wait to hear how it will sound!

no worry, you'll be able to jump with the A button

Chris, sorry to force such config, but that really make my life easier :p anyway it's in the spirit of old genesis game ^^

Okay then, but I really hope you allow us to use C for Jump. - C always was the Jump button and so it shall remain until the end of all times. ;)

Phantar
01-08-2009, 07:14 AM
the sound is totaly in rework. In the demo, all the sounds are pcm ripped from the ST. But thanks to Tiido, we're now using FM for the music so it won't be ST nor Amiga but pure MD :p

Wow, makes me excitedly looking forward to see this project being finished even more :ok:

1000jakes
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
So, is this going to get a cart release?

yuleeyahoo
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Has there been any updates on tis project?

pascal
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Hello all,

Well sorry for the lack of updates, real life took over the last years (job, buying house, baby ) and i lack time to code on any project. The spoutnickteam website is even gone... Well, I gonna host back Rick Dangerous project and Teenage queen on my website www.pascalorama.com

Anyhow, i really want to go back on megadrive dev and finish rick dangerous in order to turn this chapter of my life (rick dangerous gba,dangerous xmas, rick dangerous md). At first i wanted to do a combo card with rick 1 & rick 2. But in imho it was a big mistake. Doing rick 2 was more troublesome than expected knowing that Rick 1 is almost done which was delayed and never released. So i'm thinking to drop Rick 2 at the moment...

So i'm coming back to you guys. Are you still interested in a release of rick dangerous 1 in card ? It would be a small release about 50 cartridges or more if there's interest.

BTW: Teenage queen project is canceled , lack of interest from myselft , i'll soon release the binary with sources . So maybe someone will take this project over.

Barone
11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd happy to pay for a rom copy of a final version of Rick 1.
But I think that many guys would like it in a package.
Anyway, count with my bucks for a rom release via paypal, with formal registration and whatever you want...

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

pascal
11-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I'd happy to pay for a rom copy of a final version of Rick 1.
But I think that many guys would like it in a package.
Anyway, count with my bucks for a rom release via paypal, with formal registration and whatever you want...

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

thanks for your interest :)
I'll never sale the rom. I'm focusing on a package release but when i'll release the rom file, it'll be free. Thought the package release will have a time exclusivity ;)

The Jackal
11-16-2010, 09:25 AM
So...you mean you're gonna be providing the ROM on your site for a fixed period?

pascal
11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
i don't know,i'm still hesitating, but i'm thinking about it. It'll not be for a fixed time. But i'll give the package release exclusivity for some months.

Barone
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
i don't know,i'm still hesitating, but i'm thinking about it. It'll not be for a fixed time. But i'll give the package release exclusivity for some months.

I agree 99% with you. The 1% is 'cause I think that would be fair if you earn some extra bucks with the rom release. Anyway, it's your property...

If Pier Solar staff thought just as you think... I'd like to have a rom version of PS, even with a one year gap... But some people argued that it will decrease the revenue value of the cartridge. I don't think so...
Many good games are at very high prices on eBay and rom versions, easy downloadable, are out there for more than a decade! For me, it's the puritanism exceeded or just fear from the "unknown" ;)
Who wants to have the "real" game doesn't give a damn if a rom exists or not, 'cause all the magic is in the full package (cartridge + manual + Box + art...).
Whatever... Someday, and this day can be far away from here, someone will dump and emulate all this new releases in a nasty and stupid way, that could be avoided using good sense...

djshok
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
If it gets a cart release, I'd buy it for sure.

Cauterize
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Yup, count me in for a cart release.

Phantar
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Would also still be interested. May part with one of my unlicensed genesis carts in return. Just PM me if you're interested in what's available.

yuleeyahoo
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm in for a cart release! :p

old man
11-16-2010, 01:30 PM
I would buy a cart release.

NeoVamp
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
So i'm coming back to you guys. Are you still interested in a release of rick dangerous 1 in card ? It would be a small release about 50 cartridges or more if there's interest.

If it came in a box with cover and manual, then yes very much.
Cart only? ... no not really.

BTW: Teenage queen project is canceled , lack of interest from myselft ,
i'll soon release the binary with sources . So maybe someone will take this project over.

Sweet, I hope someone can continue work on it,
It would also open the option of making more poker games in the future.

pascal
11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
If it came in a box with cover and manual, then yes very much.
Cart only? ... no not really.

Sweet, I hope someone can continue work on it,
It would also open the option of making more poker games in the future.

thanks all :)

off course it'd be cart, manual & box ;)

Zebbe
11-16-2010, 02:11 PM
pascal: You have my money. But if you are out for a release with money involved, perhaps a license from Core would be good to have. Or you might get into some troubles. What are your plans about this, if I may ask?

pascal
11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
pascal: You have my money. But if you are out for a release with money involved, perhaps a license from Core would be good to have. Or you might get into some troubles. What are your plans about this, if I may ask?

Thanks Zebbe, I know there's some copyright issue here. So, my first option is to go for a tradeware (md games only). But i'll allow people to buy the game as a second option (people doesn't want to trade or got nothing for trading, and i got enought EA games :p).

Rick Dangerous was out on the iphone app store and never has been licensed. Trust my long experience with rick , no one knows who's the copyright holder, even the original coder... And looking to what is happening in the homebrewn scene for exemple atari 2600, title like prince of persia 2600, Halo 2600 are being sold... So all in all, i decided to try my luck...

Zebbe
11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Pascal. I wish you luck and I'll gladly help you out as a tester when the time comes, if you want me to. Also: "and i got enought EA games" - hahaha!

pascal
11-16-2010, 05:39 PM
As the spoutnick team is gone for good. I'm hosting now the demo of Rick Dangerous & Teenage queen on my web site. http://www.pascalorama.info

http://www.pascalorama.info/download.php?id=rickmddemo
http://www.pascalorama.info/download.php?id=tqdemo

enjoy ;)

Smii
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Update is nice :) Still very much want a cartridge version! Can trade or Paypal whenever is necessary.

Zebbe
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Pascal, I guess you already know this, but just a reminder: if you want top notch packaging, Fonzie is your man :).

pascal
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Pascal, I guess you already know this, but just a reminder: if you want top notch packaging, Fonzie is your man :).

I know Zebbe , Fonzie already designed the box of rick md ;)

A backup of the spoutnickteam web site is available at http://spoutnick.pascalorama.info

john8248
11-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I'll gladly buy a cart copy. Couldn't care less if it has a box or manual. You can't play boxes or manuals.

Nightwolf
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
I will buy happily a boxed Rick Dangerous for Megadrive :)

pascal
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
thanks all ;);) that really motivate me, seeing such interest

retrospiel
11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd buy a few cartridges too.

old man
11-19-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd buy a few cartridges too.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1165:p

Anonymouse
11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi pascal. Assuming the game is Ģ40 or under and jump is mapped to a button then I would happily buy a copy or two. I also have a few friends who would be interested. When do you think this game will be complete?

john8248
11-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi pascal. Assuming the game is Ģ40 or under and jump is mapped to a button then I would happily buy a copy or two.

I feel $40 US is a much more reasonable price, especially if shipping is extra. 40 GBP would be like $85 US dollars - or almost twice as much as Pier Solar or a Super Fighter Team Mega Drive game. Just my two cents (no pun intended).

chrisbid
11-21-2010, 02:31 PM
i would be good for a copy

Barracuda
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm still interested as well.

PHANTOM2040
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
If just the demo is 1536k, how big would the whole game be? 24-32megs?

Guntz
11-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Man, I must not pay attention to anything that goes on here. I haven't heard anything about this game until a week or two ago, and that was indirectly... :|

pascal
11-25-2010, 03:47 AM
hello all :)

well for the price, it'll depend if i'll go with cartmod or produce new cart. but no worry, it'll not be expensiver than a cartmod or an piersolar. The demo is 1,5mo because i was using PCM for music and sfx, which is lame. I'm targetting using md fm & not get a cart bigger than 512ko.

MightyJayM
11-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Interested as well for a cart release ! :)

PHANTOM2040
11-25-2010, 11:29 AM
hello all :)

well for the price, it'll depend if i'll go with cartmod or produce new cart. but no worry, it'll not be expensiver than a cartmod or an piersolar. The demo is 1,5mo because i was using PCM for music and sfx, which is lame. I'm targetting using md fm & not get a cart bigger than 512ko.

Thanks. Looking forward to getting one when they are released.

Anonymouse
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey Pascal. What percent of the game have you finished and when do you think you will be looking into production. Id love to have a cart version of this!! Cant wait!

PHANTOM2040
12-19-2010, 01:29 PM
keep us updated

oldskool
12-19-2010, 06:03 PM
You can count me in, that game looks cool. I would gladly pay for one of those if it comes with a cart/manual/etc.

Keep us updated! Looks like the last update was 2 years ago? Has there been any progress made on this game? What about that other game that you have been working on?

KnightWarrior
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I be waiting for more Shooters & Run & Gun Games

pascal
12-20-2010, 04:39 AM
i'm working on it :) i'd say the game is 85% finished. I gave up on Teenage Queen . don't got the time , and i'm more fond on Rick Dangerous.

Zebbe
12-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Great, Pascal, just great. Good luck and let us know when you need any help :).

PHANTOM2040
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Bump to keep this active.

FFantasy6
01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
But will be a rom release or a cart of WaterMelon ?

http://www.pascalorama.info/brol/pier/image007.png

Anonymouse
01-11-2011, 08:42 AM
where is that scan from?

Serbaside
01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Is that a fan made piece? Chuchu Rocket wasn't created until the Dreamcast was released.

Bramsworth
01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
There's a Sega CD version Fonzie made some time ago, I remember it being for sale. It's still available I think?

Anonymouse
01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
you can buy it here : http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Sega%20CD.html

FFantasy6
01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
where is that scan from?

From manual of Pier Solar

Zebbe
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Wrong. It's from the Posterity booklet.

Anonymouse
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Chu Chu Rocket for Mega-CD? Is this for real or another joke like Super Thunder Drive III?

The Jackal
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Chu Chu Rocket for Mega-CD? Is this for real or another joke like Super Thunder Drive III?

It's real. It's on the MD as a small demo; and also on the Mega CD under the name "Mighty Mighty Missle".

Anonymouse
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
How did they get round the liecencing issues? I was under the assumption that Sega didnt support any of there yesteryear consoles, unless they are going to release it as an ISO/ROM

The Jackal
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
How did they get round the liecencing issues? I was under the assumption that Sega didnt support any of there yesteryear consoles, unless they are going to release it as an ISO/ROM

That I don't know.

PHANTOM2040
01-21-2011, 01:23 AM
i'm working on it :) i'd say the game is 85% finished. I gave up on Teenage Queen . don't got the time , and i'm more fond on Rick Dangerous.

The demo is 1 level. I was wondering how many levels the finished product will be. Also, will you have control options. Either way I won't have to much trouble playing it.

pascal
01-21-2011, 03:47 AM
the final game is 4 levels. Well , i got pretty busy lately , so i decided to end the wait and release the rom of rick dangerous port soon (i just need to kill one more bug). This port gonna be exactly the same as the Atari version nothing more, nothing less. And will be a gud beta test :)

The improved version which include controls config, fm tunes and some bonus gonna be for a cart released ;)

Zebbe
01-21-2011, 07:38 AM
IxAKFlpdcfc

My flash cart is ready for the beta testing and my credit card is ready for the released cartridge :).

Flygon
01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
My flash cart is ready for the beta testing and my credit card is ready for the released cartridge :).
Apply this to me but replace credit card with debit card... and... possibly scratch the beta testing. Only thing I've tested is a ROM hack of Shining Force, and testing that wasn't a very pleasant experience. :p

old man
01-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Bump for Pascal's thread since it was moved to the new forum.

MEGADRIVE Jeroi
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Count me in for the CiB game also.

pascal
02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
just finished the code on my lunch break :) tonight test on real hardware and expect a release of the rom end of the week if all went well :p

Zebbe
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Great job! Can't wait to play it :). Good luck testing!

Phantar
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
just finished the code on my lunch break :) tonight test on real hardware and expect a release of the rom end of the week if all went well :p

Wohoo! Great news! I can hardly wait...

MEGADRIVE Jeroi
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Great news!

Anonymouse
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
awesome news. will there be a cart? I dont know why ur releasing the rom. cant you sell it as cart only?

PHANTOM2040
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
awesome news. will there be a cart? I dont know why ur releasing the rom. cant you sell it as cart only?

I'll buy the rom! Although I can see how that can go into the hands of evil...

pascal
02-09-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm releasing the rom because , i got tired to always been nagged about "legal issues" of this and to ease the wait for the cart release...

Don't have high expectations for this rom thought , it's the demo including all the levels, that means not any improvements, same controls as Atari ST, and pcm sound. But i added SRAM support save. All the improvements will be included in the cart game.

cheers

pascal

Golpezas
02-09-2011, 04:32 AM
All the improvements will be included in the cart game.

I'm getting mad for playing it. My money is yours :notworthy:

108 Stars
02-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Looking forward to this, Pascal. :) I still think you should let someone add more colors to the graphics, but it will be fine as it is too. And I am ETERNALLY grateful that you took the time to implement a new control methode more fitting for the MD pad! :)

You rule! :)

pascal
02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Looking forward to this, Pascal. :) I still think you should let someone add more colors to the graphics, but it will be fine as it is too. And I am ETERNALLY grateful that you took the time to implement a new control methode more fitting for the MD pad! :)

You rule! :)

Thanks :) Pay attention that the new controls scheme will be for later, this rom is the appetizer . For the graphic improvements, i'm not against it , but i'll need a volunteer ;)

Anonymouse
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey Pascal. Could you make a video of you playing this on real hardware as a teaser of whats to come? Will also get more people hyped about it like i am.

pascal
02-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey Pascal. Could you make a video of you playing this on real hardware as a teaser of whats to come? Will also get more people hyped about it like i am.

I cann't as my current testing hardware is a nomad , which is not the best for shooting a gud video :p

pascal
02-11-2011, 05:14 AM
ok guys, the hardware test are gud :D need to do the boring stuff (readme and website). Release is for monday

Anonymouse
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey Pascal. I look forward to it. Im more interested in the cart copy. When do you think that will be available for purchase?

PHANTOM2040
02-14-2011, 11:48 PM
ok guys, the hardware test are gud :D need to do the boring stuff (readme and website). Release is for monday

Patiently awaiting trying the other levels.:D

pascal
02-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Sorry all, i couldn't released as planned, rom will be available tonight for sure :D

pascal
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
As promised earlier, Rick Dangerous released :D head to www.pascalorama.com for the rom

enjoy ;)

Zebbe
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Awesome. I just downloaded and have no time to write anything else, I MUST PLAY NOW!!!

108 Stars
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Just had my first two Game Overs before I made it down all the ladders. :D

Zebbe
02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
It's great (more in-depth comments come later). When can I buy the cart? :P

Also, buttons aren't depressed, people are. Buttons are pressed down :).

108 Stars
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Some basic tips would be good. What is that metal stick for? Does it just stop enemies?

pascal
02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Some basic tips would be good. What is that metal stick for? Does it just stop enemies?

yes just for a few secs, later in the game , you can activate traps (the bat,...) to save some bullets :)

108 Stars
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks. :) Actually I am glad I can save in the emulator, the game has quite a few unfair things. Like spikes that only appear when you walk into the trap, you can't see them before. Or you jump down and can't see what's on the floor.

If I could not save I would run my head against the wall^^

pascal
02-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks. :) Actually I am glad I can save in the emulator, the game has quite a few unfair things. Like spikes that only appear when you walk into the trap, you can't see them before. Or you jump down and can't see what's on the floor.

If I could not save I would run my head against the wall^^

that's not unfair, it's a die & retry game :)

rick is known to be hard , old school to dead ^^

108 Stars
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
lol, that's what I'd define as unfair, when you have to learn what happens when and can't win by good reflexes only. ;)

But still, it's fun. :)

Phantar
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
lol, that's what I'd define as unfair, when you have to learn what happens when and can't win by good reflexes only. ;)

But still, it's fun. :)

*lol* I played the game back in the day on my old Amiga 500... I think I eventually managed to memorize the level layouts by heart - it's the only way to beat this game (well, I did with the help of a trusty trainer program :p ). This game only got 4 levels, but DAMN are those tough! Some of the deaths just come right out of nowhere....

Ah, they don't make games like they used to, do they? ;)

But just for nostalgia's sake I HAVE to have that game! So great job, pascal! It's highly appreciated!

Arfa
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Is this going to work on the everdrive?

If you don't know what im talking than go here
http://krikzz.com/

PHANTOM2040
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Is there a pause button?

Bramsworth
02-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Is there a pause button?

I think what you meant to ask was "How does this game rack up against [insert name of obvious shitty game nowhere near as good]? I personally go with [said shit game goes here]."

:D

PHANTOM2040
02-16-2011, 01:27 AM
I think what you meant to ask was "How does this game rack up against [insert name of obvious shitty game nowhere near as good]? I personally go with [said shit game goes here]."

:D

You lost me. So is that a yes or a no?

108 Stars
02-16-2011, 01:37 AM
The game does not have a pause button. But there is no time limit either.

I guess it is because this is the very basic port from the Atari ST without MD-enhancements. Still 16-color graphics, pressing up to jump, and only one action button that does different things when combined with a direction.

And Pause was not a standard in old homecomputer games.

PHANTOM2040
02-16-2011, 01:46 AM
The game does not have a pause button. But there is no time limit either.

I guess it is because this is the very basic port from the Atari ST without MD-enhancements. Still 16-color graphics, pressing up to jump, and only one action button that does different things when combined with a direction.

And Pause was not a standard in old homecomputer games.

Thanks. Like you said, no time limit so it doesn't really matter. Just find a safe place to stand while you leave the game.:) The controls are very different from the usual genesis game although strangely I picked up on them fast. I like these type of memorization games.

108 Stars
02-16-2011, 01:57 AM
I like it too because the game has a strange charme. However, I could never play through a no password/no savegame version of a game like this, my patience just isn't good enough.

Actually I am stuck in the very first level already.^^

Look here:

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/5712/rickdangerous000.png (http://img573.imageshack.us/i/rickdangerous000.png/)

The guy comes down immediately when I enter the room, and there is no room to jump over him. I guess I must stop him for a few seconds when he lands on the floor, but before he walks a single step, and then make a pixel perfect jump through the gap between him and the ceiling.

I look forward to the enhanced version on cart. :)

pascal
02-16-2011, 03:32 AM
I like it too because the game has a strange charme. However, I could never play through a no password/no savegame version of a game like this, my patience just isn't good enough.

Look here:

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/5712/rickdangerous000.png (http://img573.imageshack.us/i/rickdangerous000.png/)

The guy comes down immediately when I enter the room, and there is no room to jump over him. I guess I must stop him for a few seconds when he lands on the floor, but before he walks a single step, and then make a pixel perfect jump through the gap between him and the ceiling.

you need to kill him, you need to be fast ^^ don't try jumping, you gonna waste all your lifes :)

pascal
02-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Is this going to work on the everdrive?

If you don't know what im talking than go here
http://krikzz.com/

I don't know as i don't have one. All my hardware tests were done with tototek hardware. It's working on the hardware, so i don't see why i'd not work on Everdrive.

Phantar
02-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Look here:

Just friggin' shoot him :lol:

The first level has the advantage that for the most part, ammo and dynamite are in sufficient supply.

In the later levels though, you have to use both sparingly and remember at which points you will be able to restock. For the most part you'll be able to avoid enemy types. Still there'll always be points where you'll have to remove an enemy, be it by detonation, by leading him into a trap (my favorite way of disposal ;) ), or - if you need it to be done quickly - by shooting him.

Also, keep an eye out on how enemies behave: Some move in predetermined patterns, while others chase you or remain on the same height as you do. Learning these patterns will be crucial.

Joe Redifer
02-16-2011, 06:36 AM
It works on the Everdrive. I have played this on my Genesis. It's one of those games were you kind of hate at first because it is just plain ridiculously hard but then you learn the quirks and it becomes kind of fun!

Chilly Willy
02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Ditto for the MD Myth flash cart - works fine, but it's hard as hell! :)

Half the fun is figuring out how to get past the thing that is killing you every single time. :D

pascal
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
thanks both for the compatibility report :)

i updated the first post to reflect the release of the rom

Zebbe
02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
It doesn't work with the Mega Cart - it can only handle 24 MEGS OF POWER while the ROM is 32 megs. I never expected all those samples to take up so much space before I flashed the game. And I'm playing Langrisser II on my MD-Pro right now, so I can't test it on that one just yet :P.

PHANTOM2040
02-18-2011, 07:56 AM
You could put the demo on the mega cart

pascal
02-18-2011, 08:04 AM
It doesn't work with the Mega Cart - it can only handle 24 MEGS OF POWER while the ROM is 32 megs. I never expected all those samples to take up so much space before I flashed the game. And I'm playing Langrisser II on my MD-Pro right now, so I can't test it on that one just yet :P.

i know pcm is lame ... i'd prefer fm , but i'm really a crap at sound (composing or programming), i need to ask Zable if he'd be interested to work on rick sound :)

yuleeyahoo
05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Any updates?

Chilly Willy
05-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Any updates?

Yes.

clicky (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16726)

;) :D

yuleeyahoo
05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes.

clicky (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16726)

;) :D

So no cart release?

Chilly Willy
05-19-2011, 03:12 AM
I doubt there's enough interest to make carts worthwhile. You're best off just getting an EverdriveMD to run it on real hardware. I think there are a couple people on the board that make reproductions who could make a cart for you, but you'd need to talk to them about it.

tbp
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Any news about this promising project ? I have just play the rom demo today.
Rick Dangerous is one of the best cult game during ATARI/AMIGA era.
So this was a great idea to make a good homebrew version on our favourite 16-Bit machine.

Chilly Willy
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Any news about this promising project ? I have just play the rom demo today.
Rick Dangerous is one of the best cult game during ATARI/AMIGA era.
So this was a great idea to make a good homebrew version on our favourite 16-Bit machine.

What do you mean by "any news"? The full rom for both the MD and 32X has been out for a LONG time. Did you bother to check the OP?

tbp
04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I believed that an improved version for our to-die-for 16-Bit was expected.
Also an official cartridge release in the future would be welcome.

QuickSciFi
11-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Any word if this thing is ever getting made in hard copy format for the Genesis/MD?

PHANTOM2040
11-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The full game works fine in flash carts. Only the controls are not traditional. Up for jump, B then Up for shoot. B then down for bomb. The maker said he's done and he won't do anything else. I'm happy to have what I have.

pascal
11-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Any word if this thing is ever getting made in hard copy format for the Genesis/MD?

On my side, i'm still planning to do a "official" cart release of rick dangerous md (like 50 carts), in order to be able to consider this 10 years project done :)
Just leave me some times to get out of the diapers ;) I'm a bit surprised that no one did a cartmod yet...

cheers

pascal