PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Sega Mega-LD

McMasters
01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I elect that Sega Mega-LD titles be added to the main reviews section. My evidence is that it is both 16 bit and a home console and should be included as the fourth and final Sega 16 bit format. I will now hear opening arguments...

Melf
01-15-2009, 11:34 PM
What games does it play? ;)

*Edit* Ah, I see, it's a special console that plays Laser Discs. New question then: how would one find the games for review?

McMasters
01-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Ebay, I guess. I used to own a Laseractive system with the Genesis Pac but never had any of the Mega-LD titles. I'm sure there are a few people on this site that have some. Pyramid Patrol at least.

The Sports Guy
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Ive never heard of such a thing. Was this a europe only thing?

ThunderForce
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Ive never heard of such a thing. Was this a europe only thing?

Nope, JP and US I believe. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laseractive

Just get the Laseractive with the Genesis module and some Mega-LD games and you're all set!

Dirt Ball Gamer
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I have Hyperion, Rocket Coaster, pyramid patrol, and space berserker for the laseractive. I actually really like hyperion and rocket coaster. Maybe I could do a review sometime. I wrote a huge retrospective of the laseractive for my friend who helps do video reviews for gamezombie I think the site is, but we still havent gotten around to filming the beast in action.

Dirt Ball Gamer
01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Anybody ever play Vajra 2? That's the laseractive game I really want. There is not a lot of info out there about the game but it looks pretty decent.

I would say Mega LD games would not be a stretch to feature on this site seeing as how they typically are laser disc beautiful FMV backgrounds (that look a hell of a lot better than sega cd fmv) with sega genesis or sega cd creating the gameplay sprites over them.

Zebbe
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
If this site gets reviews of these games, then it is like a Master System site reviews Mega Drive games because there is a converter to play Master System games on the Mega Drive. Or something like that...

The Sports Guy
01-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I think what you are trying to say is that we cant review these games for the same reason we cant review master system games: because the PBC is just an add-on and its games werent originally supposed to be on the Genesis. If you get my drift.

Zebbe
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes, but the other way around. In this case, the MD was just an add-on for the Panasonic Laseractive and you could never play those Mega-LD games on a Mega Drive with Mega CD.

McMasters
01-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Master System games are 8 bit so it doesn't matter if it is an add-on or not, it shouldn't be featured on the site. The Sega Mega-LD format is 16 bit. Sega 16 is a website that reviews 16 bit sega games. I don't think obscurity or the inability to play it on a regular Genesis is a defense. It is actually just an extension of the Sega CD format, albeit with better FMV quality.

Dirt Ball Gamer
01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I concur and would argue that if 32x games are featured here then mega LD games should as well. The laseractive was built specifically for the sega and PC engine modules and they run using the same chips as the genesis and sega cd, so technically it is just a sega cd that can also play laserdisc. Its not a clone machine as sega endorsed it. I think it would add just one more interesting thing to the site and its not like a lot of other sites out there have info regarding this obscure sega machine. Searching the web there really are not very good reviews of these games anywhere that I have seen, and that's a shame. But either way its Melf's site and if he doesn't think its a good idea I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Phantar
01-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Well, I wouldn't make it a regular Review-staple, but how about a single feature with a focus on the module and a few selected games? That would be interesting, and definitely in theme with the site (since its Genesis-related after all).

Dirt Ball Gamer
01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Y not dew both?

Melf
01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't have an problem with adding it to the reviews menu, so long as we have people able to review the games. I know of no one with the machine, and I really don't want to stare at an empty menu.