PDA

View Full Version : Cool offers during the Genesis' run

Melf
07-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I remember all the cool things Sega would offer to entice gamers to make a purchase. My friends and I cleaned up on their deals, using our UPCs and hand-written receipts! Some of the offers were:

- Buy a Genesis and choose from Joe Montana, Super Monaco GP, Pat Rily Basketball, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing, or Columns for free.

- Buy a Genesis and send for a free copy of Sonic the Hedgehog.

- Buy two games and get a pair of stereo speakers.

- Buy two games and get a Power Base Converter and 1 Genny or MS game for free.

- Buy a game and get a free controller.

- Buy two games and send for one of six third party games for free. All my friends took Batman: the Video Game.

It's a shame we don't have stuff like this anymore. I would really clean up!

Dartagnan1083
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
That copy of Sonic wasn't really free at all.
at the same time they sold the Core-system alone for $99.

The Sonic System was $149.

But I guess $10 off is still nice.

I remember a deal at Toys R Us with the genny that involved getting 3 games for $30 after the purchase of 2 games. Although the extra 3 only applied to certain titles.

VinnyT
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Get a dollar off of Fruit-Roll ups when you buy Gunstar Heros :P.

j_factor
07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I remember the trial offers for Sega Visions. I ended up with like a 2 year subscription just on accumulating trials.

Genesis Knight
07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
"Get a dollar off of Fruit-Roll ups when you buy Gunstar Heroes"

Lame, lame, lame.

Melf
07-07-2005, 09:13 PM
You know, thinking about this, it might actually make for a cool article. Pictures of the ads, accompanied by a little info about them and some comments.

Sega Uranus
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
That would make a cool article!

Electroman
08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
- Buy two games and get a pair of stereo speakers. !

Did anyone here successfully get this done? What do the speakers look like? I think I did this one, but never got my speakers, GRRR!

hadjiquest
08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
"Buy a 16-bit Sega Genesis System and get $30 Cash Back!"
"Buy a 16-bit Genesis System before October 31st and get an extra game."

Jason Allen
12-11-2005, 05:14 AM
- Buy two games and get a pair of stereo speakers. !

Did anyone here successfully get this done? What do the speakers look like? I think I did this one, but never got my speakers, GRRR!

I was going to post the speakers offer! My friend got his very quickly, they were a little bigger than walkman speakers, and said SEGA on them.

Kaneko had an offer where if you bought Air Buster (Aero Blasters)? you could send off for a glove. ONE glove. A glove that was supposed to make you play Air Buster better, or some crazy shit like that. My friend had that, too. The speakers were way cooler.

j_factor
12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Bubba n' Stix has a coupon on the back of the manual for a free pack of Bubblicious. Bubblicious gum is also prominently featured on the cover... I think this was the only way Core could afford to release it in the US, seeing as they self-published it.

ddp72984
07-30-2010, 03:09 PM
no "buy sonic 1, get sonic 2 free?"

QuickSciFi
07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Ooooh Yeaaa! That "buy a Model 2 and get a free Sonic 2 instantly + mail-in-rebate-title" was the first offer of which I ever took advantage. I got myself Eternal Champions ('received it three months later), then traded it for Sonic Spinball. Still, it was AWESOME!!!!

...All that for $119.99 + Tax + $3.99 SnH + a High School friend as nerdy about Sega as myself. :D

john8248
07-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Sega hooked up the faithful during the Master System run as well. Like Melf, I used UPCS and hand written receipts for two different offers:

- Buy 2 games, get a sports title for free. (I chose Reggie Jackson Baseball, which still holds up nicely!)

- Buy 3 games, get Double Dragon free. They did this shorly after Double Dragon hit retail shelves, too!

Without a doubt, the best deal I ever got from Sega was for Power Strike. If memory serves, if you sent in 3 UPCS from Master System games, you got a free "mystery" game. M.U.S.H.A.'s prequel, at that! :) I may not be remembering that right - I know Sega offered Power Strike exclusively through Sega Visions for a while - but either way, I was thrilled when it landed in my mailbox. Heck, I still own that copy, and I'm still thrilled!

Zz Badnusty
07-31-2010, 03:41 AM
I made a template on my Apple IIe that was really close to the old Toys R Us receipts. Eventually Toys R Us started stamping the back of the receipts with a little graphic, and I was so worried Sega was going to bust me for mail fraud because my receipts didn't have the stamp...
In the early days (Summer of 1990?) there was that deal where you bought two games and got to choose one free item (from a list) to be mailed to you. I got my Power Base Convertor that way, as well as Wonder Boy III Dragons Trap, Y's Vanished Omens, Last Battle (iirc).

I think Wonder Boy III was selling for $54.99 at Toys R Us in 1990, so I would choose that as my "free" game, and then when it arrived I'd take it back to the store and exchange it for another game and buy one more and then send the two UPC symbols and a fake receipt in and then get another free game.
I got the Sega Stereo Speaker System that way as well.
And also got an Arcade Power Stick by exchanging one of the free games.

My Sega collection sure got a jump start thanks to that long running offer!

Zebbe
07-31-2010, 06:03 PM
I got a JP copy of Phantasy Star III when I won Eliminate Down on eBay. I also got a note with the address to an extremely expensive British retro video game store.

GohanX
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I seem to remember a deal where you bought a Genesis with packed in Sonic 1, and you got Sonic 2 for free by mail (when it was still pretty new!) That would have been awesome, but I didn't get a system until later.