PDA

View Full Version : My Game Gear collection

Scooter
02-27-2009, 07:36 PM
The Game Gear doesn't seem to get much respect but I really like it. I never had an SMS so in having a Game Gear I kind of had a handheld version. There really were some great games for the system but it sure did get more shovelware than other Sega systems. Anyway, my GG stuff has been stuffed away in boxes for a while now, I thought it was time to dig it all out, organize and quantify what I have. Not pictured are a few duplicate games and some spare rechargeable batteries and other odds and ends.

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/ggall.jpg

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/gghardware.jpg

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/gggames1.jpg

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/gggames2.jpg

InternalPrimate
02-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Very very very nice :D

Scooter
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Still looking for complete versions of those loose games! And I'll own a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Mini someday....

djtwok
02-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I love the gg cause it has stereo sound. At the other side you had to deal with the small screen. The exclusives like gg shinobi and the fantastic sor2 port make it a must have for every sega lover.

sonictails
02-28-2009, 05:54 AM
I think you should crack open the TV tuner and enjoy it while you can.

Alianger
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
While I don't have much respect for the console itself, the game library is pretty good and there are some interesting imports for it, like Gunstar Heroes.

Nice collection so far. I recommend getting Popils, Ristar, Return of the Jedi and either of the Aleste games (Power strike 2 is the best 8-bit shooter I've played).

I love the gg cause it has stereo sound.

so did the Gameboy?

TmEE
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
That collection is really great :D

I like GG more than GB mainly because GG has much better screen and its much more comfortable to hold... sound is weak compared to GB though...

Scooter
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I think you should crack open the TV tuner and enjoy it while you can.

It's already too late.

That collection is really great :D

I like GG more than GB mainly because GG has much better screen and its much more comfortable to hold... sound is weak compared to GB though...

The sound is pretty decent through headphones, the speakers are definitely weak. Funny thing is, the cheapo-end-of-the-run Majesco version of the system actually has a better screen and better sound than the earlier versions.

Mamba Tabac
03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Please tell me you have the GG Shinobi 1&2? I couldn't see them amongst that pic and they both kick serious ass...

Scooter
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Please tell me you have the GG Shinobi 1&2? I couldn't see them amongst that pic and they both kick serious ass...

No, but if you have complete copies for sale for reasonable prices I'd be interested. But then, I have Shinobi for SMS so it's pretty much the same I'd guess.

David J.
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
No it's not! It's like Batman Returns, VERY simular... they share the same mechanics and maybe music!

Its just 100x better than Batman Returns.

The Sports Guy
03-04-2009, 10:49 PM
If you or anyone has a GG that they are willing to part with, hit me up! I really want a GG and no one I know has one.

Mamba Tabac
03-05-2009, 10:23 PM
No, but if you have complete copies for sale for reasonable prices I'd be interested. But then, I have Shinobi for SMS so it's pretty much the same I'd guess.

The GG version of Shinobi is absolutely nothing like the MS version. Whereas the MS Shinobi is a conversion of the arcade game, the GG games are completely different, and probably share more in common with Revenge of Shinobi (they even have the same music in places), with the added bonus of being able to switch between 5 different coloured ninjas each with their own skills and magic.

I'd probably say that GG Shinobi is my personal favourite Game Gear game, and I'd recommend tracking down a copy asap. The sequel is more of the same, but changes a few powers about and feature bigger levels with more stuff to find.

Scooter
03-06-2009, 12:02 AM
The GG version of Shinobi is absolutely nothing like the MS version. Whereas the MS Shinobi is a conversion of the arcade game, the GG games are completely different, and probably share more in common with Revenge of Shinobi (they even have the same music in places), with the added bonus of being able to switch between 5 different coloured ninjas each with their own skills and magic.

I'd probably say that GG Shinobi is my personal favourite Game Gear game, and I'd recommend tracking down a copy asap. The sequel is more of the same, but changes a few powers about and feature bigger levels with more stuff to find.

I'll have to keep an eye peeled for a decent copy then. The hunt is half the fun!

Have you tried Revenge of Drancon or Defender of Oasis? I also heard that Tails' Adventure is good but I've not spent much time with it. I do like Arial Assault and Krusty's Funhouse but those can both be had on SMS or Genesis too.

Mamba Tabac
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll have to keep an eye peeled for a decent copy then. The hunt is half the fun!

Have you tried Revenge of Drancon or Defender of Oasis? I also heard that Tails' Adventure is good but I've not spent much time with it. I do like Arial Assault and Krusty's Funhouse but those can both be had on SMS or Genesis too.

I'm afraid I haven't. Are they any good? I have to say that my GG collection is rather pathetic but any recommendations are always welcome.

TmEE
03-06-2009, 05:34 PM
The sound is pretty decent through headphones, the speakers are definitely weak. Funny thing is, the cheapo-end-of-the-run Majesco version of the system actually has a better screen and better sound than the earlier versions.

By weak I meant that GB sound chip can do more than SMS/GG sound chip. GG has very loud output though, and I like it :)

jerry coeurl
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Tails' Adventure owns. Best GG game I've played, hands down. It's one of the few GG games I've played that I really think should have been released on the Genesis, mainly for some kind of save functionality, instead of the cumbersome password system the game uses. Still, definitely worth a play-through, and definitely worth checking out.

Actually, Scooter, I've got a complete Japanese copy of Tails' Adventure in excellent condition that I'd be willing to trade/sell, if you're interested. I've also got a complete US copy of Sonic Drift 2, in very good condition, that I'm not particularly attached to. PM me if you're interested in working something out.

Scooter
03-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Tails' Adventure owns. Best GG game I've played, hands down. It's one of the few GG games I've played that I really think should have been released on the Genesis, mainly for some kind of save functionality, instead of the cumbersome password system the game uses. Still, definitely worth a play-through, and definitely worth checking out.

Actually, Scooter, I've got a complete Japanese copy of Tails' Adventure in excellent condition that I'd be willing to trade/sell, if you're interested. I've also got a complete US copy of Sonic Drift 2, in very good condition, that I'm not particularly attached to. PM me if you're interested in working something out.

PM sent!

Melf
03-07-2009, 12:22 AM
My local Play 'N Trade has a shit ton of loose GG games just sitting there. If there's anything else you need I could check and see if they have it.

Scooter
03-07-2009, 12:32 AM
My local Play 'N Trade has a shit ton of loose GG games just sitting there. If there's anything else you need I could check and see if they have it.

Thanks for the offer but I'm only concentrating on complete games at this point.

But hey, I'm pretty sure my local stores have the following complete if you are interested:

-Lethal Enforcers II (SCD)
-Out of This World (Gen)
-Tomcat Alley (SCD)
-Flashback (SCD)

Let me know if you'd like me to check them out for overall condition and price.