PDA

View Full Version : A few Game Gear questions

Ace
03-02-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm thinking of getting myself a Game Gear, though I have a few questions before I go out and get one:

1) How do you differentiate a Game Gear that has no BIOS and a Game Gear that has a BIOS(I'd rather have it without, though what does the BIOS do? Same as the MegaDrive's TMSS?)?
2) Is it a bad idea to get Majesco's Game Gear(I know it's incompatible with the TV Tuner, but I couldn't care less as I won't be watching TV on such a small screen)?
3) Which Game Gear models are most prone to capacitor problems?
4) Are the Sonic Game Gear games playable on a Master System through a cartridge converter, and if so, do they display any graphical garbage/weird colors(I'm asking this so that I have some Game Gear stuff to play before I actually get one)?

jesus.arnold
03-02-2009, 06:25 AM
You can't play Game Gear games on a Master System no matter what, only vice versa (I think the Game Gear has a higher resolution or something)

Scooter
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking of getting myself a Game Gear, though I have a few questions before I go out and get one:

1) How do you differentiate a Game Gear that has no BIOS and a Game Gear that has a BIOS(I'd rather have it without, though what does the BIOS do? Same as the MegaDrive's TMSS?)?
2) Is it a bad idea to get Majesco's Game Gear(I know it's incompatible with the TV Tuner, but I couldn't care less as I won't be watching TV on such a small screen)?
3) Which Game Gear models are most prone to capacitor problems?
4) Are the Sonic Game Gear games playable on a Master System through a cartridge converter, and if so, do they display any graphical garbage/weird colors(I'm asking this so that I have some Game Gear stuff to play before I actually get one)?

1) I can't really answer this but all Game Gear systems and games are region free if that's what you are getting at.
2) The Majesco version has the best screen of the bunch.
3) All of them.
4) Game Gear can play SMS games with an adapter, but GG games can only be played on a GG.

TmEE
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
GG games could be played on MD or SMS using homemade adaptor, but you will get greenish image and possible input issues.

First thing you will do with any GG is replacing the caps, all of them will get bad caps, if not now, then somewhat later. SNES will start going bad too at some point, I have had to replace some caps in one of my SNES' already...

Ace
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Aren't some Game Gear games identical to their Master System counterparts?

By the way, just how hard is it to find a Majesco Game Gear? I haven't seen one, and I can't find any listings for a Majesco Game Gear. Also, is the Majesco Game Gear cheaply made like the Genesis 3?

1) I can't really answer this but all Game Gear systems and games are region free if that's what you are getting at.

What I'm getting at is just the boot screen itself. Does it serve the same purpose as the MegaDrive's TMSS?

Scooter
03-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Aren't some Game Gear games identical to their Master System counterparts?

By the way, just how hard is it to find a Majesco Game Gear? I haven't seen one, and I can't find any listings for a Majesco Game Gear. Also, is the Majesco Game Gear cheaply made like the Genesis 3?

What I'm getting at is just the boot screen itself. Does it serve the same purpose as the MegaDrive's TMSS?

I've never heard of a GG that was identical to the SMS. The GG has a larger color palette. Both use the same basic architecture and the same main processor. The GG is basically an slightly amped up SMS.

Most people wouldn't know a Majesco GG if it hit them in the head. The name Majesco only appears on the packaging in small lettering on the back of the box. The units themselves are identified by having a black case (instead of grey) a purple start button (instead of blue) and a black and white Game Gear logo on the screen lens (instead of a color logo). The only Majesco identification is in small lettering on the label on the back of the unit. The SEGA name is much more prominent on both the packaging and the units themselves.

They do feel slightly more lightweight than a true Sega unit only because the circuit boards inside are somewhat streamlined. The case is the same casting, just a different color.

The Genesis TMSS is a license checker. I've never seen a GG unit that didn't pop up the license screen when a game is fired up. All GG games will play on all GG units as far as I know.

Zz Badnusty
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
They do feel slightly more lightweight than a true Sega unit only because the circuit boards inside are somewhat streamlined. The case is the same casting, just a different color.

hmmm, I wonder if the streamlined (if it really is) circuit board would enable longer battery life?

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but the Kids Gear (Japan only) unit has a redesigned casing and a better d-pad.
The different sized casing makes it difficult to use some peripherals like the Wide Gear.
The d-pad is much better for playing action games. Too bad the screen still blurs like a mo-fo.

jesus.arnold
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I've got a question actually, is there any other power suplies compatible with the Game Gear, I heard once that you could plug a Mega Drive 2 power supply into a Game Gear but this wasn't true.

Scooter
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
As I recall, the Game Gear, Nomad and Genesis 2 all use the same power supply. I don't know if that correlates to the Mega Drive counterparts.

Ace
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I once tested a Game Gear with a Genesis 2 power supply. If a MegaDrive 2 power supply has that same yellow tip on the barrel with positive center and is rated DC 10V 0.85A, you can use it no problem on the Game Gear.

jesus.arnold
03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I think it must just be a region difference then, my Mega Drive 2 power supply doesn't actually even fit into the Game Gear, it's to big. What about the Master system 1? or 2? or the Mega Drive 1? I already have all these consoles and I'd rather not have to buy a new Game Gear plug off Ebay if I don't have to.

jesus.arnold
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I took a risk and plugged my Master System 2 power supply into the Game Gear and thankfully it seems to work fine

TmEE
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
There are 2 kinds of GGs and they use 2 different power adaptor connectors... older units use SMS style and newer with boot screen use MD2 style.

Ace
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
!

FINALLY, a definite answer as to which Game Gears have a BIOS, and which don't.

Though what's the point of the Game Gear's BIOS? Just show the boot screen, or does it serve some special purpose like the MegaDrive's TMSS BIOS?

TmEE
03-05-2009, 06:18 AM
No, it serves no purpose AFAIK, its just not letting you play the game for some moments. I know there is a way to disable the screen, but I remember no details.

Ace
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/wiki/Software/BIOS#toc12

There's information about the Game Gear's BIOS, and from what I'm seeing, it seems to serve the same purpose as the MegaDrive's TMSS: lock out games that don't have a certain ASCII string in the ROM. It would also appear that Game Gears with a BIOS can select the correct palette data depending on whether a Game Gear or Master System cartridge is inserted.

celticsfan
03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Another Game Gear question, when it first came out, it was such a battery hog. Was wondering, with today's high powered batteries, would the battery life be a little higher?

TmEE
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
The life will of course be higher. The backlight is the major power sucker, if you get rid of the backlight, the GG lasts as long if not more than GB

Ace
03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd probably add a backlight on/off switch to the Game Gear while I replace the capacitors. There's already something to dim down the backlight on the Game Gear, right, except there's no way to shut it off?

TmEE
03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
my GG has no dimming or shutting down options. If you want some, you need to add it yourself.

Diosoth
03-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Except you can't see the games without the backlight on, making it pointless.

Ace
03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
If I can see the screen of my GameBoy Color in my house, I can DEFINITELY see the screen of the Game Gear with no backlight. And the GameBoy Color's screen is VERY dark, so that's quite conclusive.

MN12BIRD
03-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Game boy color screen is reflective and designed to be seen without a backlight. The Game Gear screen is not reflective. You wont see a single thing at all even under extremely bright light on a Game Gear without the backlight!

Scooter
03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
The picture on the GG screen is MADE by the light (similar to a CRT TV screen). It won't show a thing with the light source turned off.

Ace
03-08-2009, 12:07 PM
In that case, I'd dim it down A LOT, about the level of a GameBoy Color in normal lighting. Any instructions on how to dim the backlight of a Game Gear?

MN12BIRD
03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
If anything I would see if you can find a Majesco Game Gear. I wonder if you can take the LCD screen out of a Majesco and put it in an old Game Gear? I just found this out because my buddy got one and the screen is better on the Majesco it doesn't get as blurry when things move. Seems cool but they seem to be hard to find (there are 30 game gear systems on EBay right now and not one of them is a Majesco!) the only thing is the TV Tuner doesn't work on it.

Ace
03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I couldn't care less about the TV Tuner, as I wouldn't watch TV on a portable system anyways! But yeah, Majesco Game Gears are about as hard to come by as a US Sega Master System II(had to wait about 2 years to get mine via a local classified ad.), and I have NEVER seen one, not in person, not in a classified ad., and not on eBay. But if I do find a Majesco Game Gear, I'd get that one in a flash.

MN12BIRD
03-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Damn they really are that rare... shitty. I would love to find one too. I mean I knew they would be rare but I didn't think they would be THAT rare! I'm also looking for an SMSII, my local game shop had one before they closed shop but when I went to get it they said it was gone :(

djtwok
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
GG games could be played on MD or SMS using homemade adaptor, but you will get greenish image and possible input issues.

Have you tried that or build an adapter for GG Cartridges (just wondering how to play GG Carts on MD/SMS) ? Shouldnt games that use the SMS Color Palette (like Castle of Illusion) show normals Colors on SMS ?

Ace
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Damn they really are that rare... shitty. I would love to find one too. I mean I knew they would be rare but I didn't think they would be THAT rare! I'm also looking for an SMSII, my local game shop had one before they closed shop but when I went to get it they said it was gone :(

Man, that sucks! I've had that happen a lot before I found my Master System II in a classified ad while looking for one on eBay. I was getting ready to buy the sucker, but it was sold right under my nose every time before I found it in an ad. F***!

I would still be happy with a Sega Game Gear if I have too much of a hard time finding a Majesco Game Gear. Though I would like to get 2 Game Gears, 1 of which I'll turn into a Game Gear Console, with the screen removed, 1 controller port like the TurboGrafx, no battery compartment, and TV output with RGB, S-Video and Composite video. The system would be dual-slotted, however for dual Master System/Game Gear compatibility(how does a Game Gear know when a Master System or Game Gear cartridge is inserted?)

Diosoth
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I would assume the cart adaptor would send a signal to the system.

Myself, I have all the Sonic GG games on the Mega and Gems Gamecube discs, so I don't need to buy the grand battery muncher.

jerry coeurl
03-08-2009, 03:31 PM
So is the only distinguishing characteristic of the Majesco version the white markings (as opposed to red, green, blue) above the words GAME GEAR on the left side of the screen? If it is, then I have one, and to be honest, I thought it was less valuable than the SEGA Game Gear. Anyway, a buddy and myself each got a Majesco Game Gear a few years ago, when we ordered them new through Amazon. We just assumed they were crappy knockoffs though.

You wanna buy mine, Ace? :D

j_factor
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I own three Game Gears, and they all have issues. I liked GG back in the day, but nowadays they're too unreliable.

Diosoth
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Speaking of the Game Gear.... browsing on Amazon... does anyone know what the HELL this thing is? (http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Colored-Original-Sega-Game-Gear/dp/B001N5COUA/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1236559907&sr=8-31) I've never seen one, read about one,whatever.

Blammo
03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
It's a yellow Game Gear :)

Ok seriously, it's probably from Japan, as seen on this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GYFd6sAoVM&feature=related). I remember seeing it on my Sonic Jam CD back in the day...

What I think is more interesting is, if you look at the photo of the back of it, it says it takes battery type "LR 6 (AM 3) x 6". Is this some kind of weird Japanese battery? Mine takes 6 normal AAs.

Diosoth
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
It's a yellow Game Gear :)

Ok seriously, it's probably from Japan, as seen on this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GYFd6sAoVM&feature=related). I remember seeing it on my Sonic Jam CD back in the day...

What I think is more interesting is, if you look at the photo of the back of it, it says it takes battery type "LR 6 (AM 3) x 6". Is this some kind of weird Japanese battery? Mine takes 6 normal AAs.

It's just a foreign designation for AA batteries. Japan doesn't use the standard letter designation system we use.

MN12BIRD
03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I own three Game Gears, and they all have issues. I liked GG back in the day, but nowadays they're too unreliable.

I know they have bad caps in them and tons of people say they have bad GG systems. But here's the crazy part. I have had like 4 of them in the past few years and they all work! Luck of the draw I guess.

j_factor
03-09-2009, 01:46 AM
All of mine still work, just not that well. Problems I have:

-- Has difficulty reading cartridges
-- The audio is shot on one of them
-- Pressing Button 1 makes the screen "ripple"
-- The screen is even blurrier than originally

Scooter
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
So is the only distinguishing characteristic of the Majesco version the white markings (as opposed to red, green, blue) above the words GAME GEAR on the left side of the screen? If it is, then I have one, and to be honest, I thought it was less valuable than the SEGA Game Gear. Anyway, a buddy and myself each got a Majesco Game Gear a few years ago, when we ordered them new through Amazon. We just assumed they were crappy knockoffs though.

You wanna buy mine, Ace? :D

No, the Majesco versions also have a black case (instead of dark grey) and a purple start button (instead of blue) and they say mfd. by Majesco on the label on the back.

I'll try to post some comparitive photos when I get home tonight.

TmEE
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
All of mine still work, just not that well. Problems I have:

-- Has difficulty reading cartridges
-- The audio is shot on one of them
-- Pressing Button 1 makes the screen "ripple"
-- The screen is even blurrier than originally

All but screen ripple are bad cap issues.

celticsfan
03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I couldn't care less about the TV Tuner, as I wouldn't watch TV on a portable system anyways!

You have no need to care about the TV tuner. With the digital TV transition in the U.S., the TV Tuner will not work!

j_factor
03-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Actually some stations are still allowed to have analog broadcast. But you wouldn't get anything interesting.

Ace
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
It has nothing to do with the Digital transition. I would NEVER watch TV on a screen as small as the Game Gear's. Hell, I wouldn't even get a TV Tuner if I bought a TurboExpress! I don't want to watch TV on those miniature screens. And besides, I've tried to tune a TurboExpress' TV Tuner without ever getting a signal, so what's the point of having it when I can barely use the thing?

Mr. Ksoft
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Hell, I wouldn't even get a TV Tuner if I bought a TurboExpress! I don't want to watch TV on those miniature screens. And besides, I've tried to tune a TurboExpress' TV Tuner without ever getting a signal, so what's the point of having it when I can barely use the thing?

Lol, I got one of those tuners free with my Express when I bought it-- it's nearly completely useless trying to get a signal out of it. I can pick stuff up fine on my TVs that aren't plugged into the cable and analog signals are extremely strong here thanks to having Chicago nearby, but with the TE I have to go find a window to stand by to get anything. Even then it's fuzzy and impossible to watch. I really now just have it as a novelty.

Scooter
03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Here are some comparison photos of the Majesco and Sega versions. They are pretty self-explanitory.

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/ggcomparo.jpg

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/ggcomparoback.jpg

Ace
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
While the Game Gear logo is really bland on the Majesco Game Gear, I have to say I prefer that all-black paint job Majesco applied to the thing.

Now, let me ask about build quality. Is the difference as big as with the Genesis 3 compared to a Genesis 1 or Genesis 2?

Scooter
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
While the Game Gear logo is really bland on the Majesco Game Gear, I have to say I prefer that all-black paint job Majesco applied to the thing.

Now, let me ask about build quality. Is the difference as big as with the Genesis 3 compared to a Genesis 1 or Genesis 2?

They pretty much look and feel the same. The Majesco units are ever so slightly lighter in weight, probably due to some fewer items on the motherboard (like the parts required to support the TV Tuner).

They are made out of the same exact plastic castings so cosmetically other than colors they are exactly the same. I assume Sega shipped the molds to Majesco plant in Mexico since all the exterior parts are completely interchangeable.

Ace
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
At least I don't have to worry about the thing breaking in my hands(from what I've felt though, Game Gears are built like tanks). I'd just go for a capacitor replacement as soon as I get the unit.

By the way, would you be able to take pictures of the screens between the Majesco and Sega Game Gears?

Scooter
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
At least I don't have to worry about the thing breaking in my hands(from what I've felt though, Game Gears are built like tanks). I'd just go for a capacitor replacement as soon as I get the unit.

By the way, would you be able to take pictures of the screens between the Majesco and Sega Game Gears?

I had a real tough time getting good screen shots but at least you can tell that the Majesco version has better color resolution and somewhat sharper detail. Both screens look a LOT better in person.

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/screencomparo.jpg

TmEE
03-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not really seeing a difference other than what could be compensated by the brightness adjustment on those shots :daze:

MN12BIRD
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I heard there isn't much difference in the color/brightness but rather the sharpness in motion. The original gets so blurry when you move!

Diosoth
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm curious, anyone know how many internal revisions the system has? I once had a standard gray and a blue console on hand. Opening both I learned that the internal setups were different- different positions for screws, etc., making swapping the guts from one to another rather impossible.

celticsfan
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
What games does anyone recommend? This post inspired me to drag out my old Game Gear, and I've got the standard Sonic pack-in, World Series Baseball, Surf Ninjas (which sucks so bad), Shining Force (which won't boot up no matter how many times you try) and a copy of Road Rash floating around somewhere. Any I should think about picking up online?

Edit: If I can get a Master converter, what master games are recommended?

Ace
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't really know of much on the Game Gear, but definitely get the Sonic games.

And if you want to get even more than what's on the Game Gear, buy a Master Gear converter. With it, you'd be able to play Master System games on your Game Gear.

Of course, being as I've never seen a Master Gear anywhere, I'll be making my own with a Game Gear cartridge I don't like(or one that's broken), just like I did with the Genesis: I made my own Power Base Converter out of a Genesis football game. I will post a worklog when I get started on it.

Ace
03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Just came back from one of my local game stores with what appears to be a pre-BIOS Game Gear(it has a bigger power plug), but things don't look very promissing. The unit just refuses to turn on, but I'm pretty sure it's the guy's fault(the one who sold it to me) for being clueless as to the polarity and voltage(it's clearly indicated on the F-ing thing!) of the power supply(is it center negative like a MegaDrive Model 1?). He put a 12V positive center power supply in the thing. I'm pretty sure he killed it with that, but it looks as though it wants to turn on. With some batteries that were in the shop, the power LED just briefly blinked for a split-second. Did the guy kill the unit?

UPDATE: I got it working(turns out the power supply was bust and the battery terminals had battery acid leaked all over them)! Sure enough, it IS a pre-BIOS Game Gear! But something tells me it was imported... FROM GERMANY! I see a sticker with what appears to be German writing. It says this: TÜV Rheinland. Also, the model number doesn't match that of the North American Game Gear. The North American one has model number 2110, however this particular Game Gear has a different model number: 2110-50. I don't know if it's universal on all pre-BIOS Game Gears, but if the 2110-50 model number doesn't match the North American model number, where does it come from?

jesus.arnold
03-12-2009, 07:23 PM
What games does anyone recommend? This post inspired me to drag out my old Game Gear, and I've got the standard Sonic pack-in, World Series Baseball, Surf Ninjas (which sucks so bad), Shining Force (which won't boot up no matter how many times you try) and a copy of Road Rash floating around somewhere. Any I should think about picking up online?

Edit: If I can get a Master converter, what master games are recommended?I've only just found the love for my Game Gear too (mainly due to the aforementioned Master System power adapter meaning I don't need to buy 6 batteries every 3 hours)

Games I recently picked up were

GG Shinobi - exclusive Shinobi game that's awesome

CJ Elephant Fugitive - Awesome

Micro Machines - pretty much a perfect conversion (though it probably just is the Master System version anyway)

Sonic the Hedgehog - it's just a port of the Master System version, it an alright game, pretty impressive for the time.

Ace
03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh my God, the clerk was lucky he didn't fry the Game Gear! The power plug is VERY loose and doesn't always get power.

Now, the system appears to have been tampered with because the plastic inside the system on the power plug is melted. Could that explain why my Game Gear's power plug is loose?

By the way, can anyone open their US Game Gear(pre- or post-BIOS, I don't care)? It appears I have a European one! The motherboard ID on this Game Gear is IC BD GG MAIN EUROPE. I'm pretty sure that's enough to confirm I now own my very first European import system! And surprisingly, not a single capacitor has leaked! Talk about an acquisition full of surprises, including one that may cause issues: the insides of the system is FILLED with leaked battery acid, but thankfully, it's only on the battery terminals and all it did was flake onto the inside of the casing(nothing got stuck on the PCB). Time to pass some Windex on the inside.

One thing I'd like to ask: which capacitor type is most susceptible to leaking? The box type, the surface-mount silver electrolytics, or the normal electrolytics on the board with the power switch and power supply input?

TmEE
03-14-2009, 03:39 AM
GGs are region free, and all models run at same speed and use exact same clocks.

First thing you do with any GG is replacing all the caps there are and cleaning things up from the capactor leakage (as its corrosive) (its not battery acid in most cases).
The surface mount caps are the most troublesome, others can get bad, but usually they're not.

ooXxXoo
03-14-2009, 04:00 AM
I have both Sega pre-Majesco and Majesco GG's Systems, surprisingly enough, the latest Majesco screens seems to definitely be a bit better quality, sharper indeed....Haven't messed with any of them yet really, internally speaking....But I'm sure there are a few mobo differences as well....

Ace
03-14-2009, 12:18 PM
First thing you do with any GG is replacing all the caps there are and cleaning things up from the capactor leakage (as its corrosive) (its not battery acid in most cases).
The surface mount caps are the most troublesome, others can get bad, but usually they're not.

I have battery acid in my Game Gear, not electrolyte(and the battery acid is nowhere near the PCB). There isn't a single trace of electrolyte on the board(it's very clean). The speaker works 100% fine, the screen okay, but I did notice what appears to be line noise on the screen(dependent on the sprites drawn). Is that a screen issue or capacitor problem?

Those surface-mount ones are the capacitors in the black boxes, right? As are the silver caps?

Another thing about the screen: I can't find a good brightness setting for it. The screen is either too dark or the colors are washed out. Is that due to the backlight always being turned on and whose brightness can't be adjusted? TmEE, how were you able to reduce the brightness of the Game Gear's backlight?

Diosoth
03-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure it's worth stressing over the TV Tuner and the Majesco GG compatibility, since the TV Tuner will be a paperweight when the digital broadcast change happens in a couple months.

Moirai
09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Does anybody have a definite answer as to which GGs have the BIOS screen and which don't? also, can the manufacture date of a GG be determined by it's serial number?

My serial number is 031042477. I heard GGs with a serial number that starts with 0 are supposed to be some of the earlier ones, however, mine has a BIOS screen! so whats the deal? do the serial numbers really have nothing to do when the GG was manufactured?

also, what causes "screen ripple"?

chessage
09-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Does anybody have a definite answer as to which GGs have the BIOS screen and which don't?

On single ASIC units, locate 'J1' and make sure it's bridged together. This will disable the bios. Two ASIC units have no bios.

also, can the manufacture date of a GG be determined by it's serial number?

My serial number is 031042477. I heard GGs with a serial number that starts with 0 are supposed to be some of the earlier ones, however, mine has a BIOS screen! so whats the deal? do the serial numbers really have nothing to do when the GG was manufactured?

The first thing denoted is the place of manufacture. Yours should be Taiwan. Second is the year. Yours should be 1993. Bios equipped units were first introduced in 1992.

also, what causes "screen ripple"?

The '1' button is too close to the screen and vibrates it when pressed.

Guntz
09-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Two of my Game Gears are from 1993, and I have another from 1994. How rare is the '91 revision?

chessage
09-26-2012, 06:51 AM
About as uncommon as a North American model 1 Master System.