PDA

View Full Version : games freeze on Genesis 2 when touched?

Shinobi69
01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
If i barely touch the game cartridges on my Genesis 2, they freeze up. Is this normal? :? this genesis 2 is a lot more cheap feeling and looking than I remember the original being.

Also, sometimes when i push the power button, there will be no picture, and i have to pull the cartridge out and re-insert it. then it will usually work. is it probably a dirty cartridge slot? someone please respond if you've had this problem!

thanks!

winona
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Dirty connectors.

Get a 4,5 mm gamebit of ebay. Buy som cleaning fluids open up and clean your cartridges.

Works like a charm.

Shinobi69
01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
you think it's all the cartridges, and not the system? should i clean the connectors on the cartridges and the system cartridge slot? I figured it was the console that was the problem, as all the games freeze. Also, the guy at the viddy game store did clean the connectors on the games with a special tool.

Shinobi69
01-06-2006, 10:36 AM
why do i need to open the cartridges up to clean the connectors? I read you can use a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol to clean the connectors that insert into the cartridge slot.

winona
01-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Well it might be the connector on the machine, But thats a lot more rare than the games beeing the main problem.

Im not sure where to get new genesis connectors though.

I prefear opening the cartridges. It makes for easier and more thurough cleaning.

Shinobi69
01-06-2006, 01:25 PM
it just seems strange, becase all 3 of my games freeze when i touch the cartridge - which would make you think it's the console and not the games.

winona
01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
well, thats exactly what happens when you have a dirty system or cartridge. However it IS possible there is something else that is wrong.

I couldnt find any new connectors for the megadrive, but there here something you could do:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2-loose-cart.htm

Shinobi69
01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
that definitely looks like something i need to do! that should help, thanks!

Shinobi69
01-07-2006, 02:22 PM
fyi - i cleaned all my cartridges, and opened the genesis and blew out the cartridge port with compressed air. Now it doesn't freeze up when cartridges are touched.

Melf
01-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Find an official Genesis cleaning kit on eBay. It'll leave your console in tip-top shape.

ary incorparated
01-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Inever got any problems with my megadrives,i could ram those cartridges in without having any problems with it even after 10 years. ;)