PDA

View Full Version : Sega-8: How many Game Gear games got converted to Sega Master System

gamegenie
05-03-2009, 12:37 AM
There's not much separating the Game Gear and SMS is there?
They both ran on the Z80 CPU.
I think the differences being Game Gear's a portable, and has a slightly lower screen resolution than SMS and can produce more colors.

Did the Master System benefit greatly from this close connection with the Game Gear?

Games like Mortal Kombat 1, 2, & 3 were Game Gear titles that were easily ported over the SMS it seems.

any other Game Gear to SMS games out there?

Baloo
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I think Legend of Illusion was one, since it was released so late in Master System's lifespan, 1995. Don't quote me on that though.

Scooter
05-03-2009, 01:19 AM
There were probably more games converted from SMS to the Game Gear than the other way around.

gamegenie
05-03-2009, 01:36 AM
I thought Sonic the Hedgehog was another but they just look the same.

Black_Tiger
05-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Europe and Brazil got a ton of GG to SMS ports.

j_factor
05-03-2009, 03:05 AM
I think Sonic 1 came out for SMS first, but I'm pretty sure Spinball was GG first. No idea on 2 and Chaos. Sonic Blast was ported from the GG to SMS by Tectoy in Brazil.

kool kitty89
05-03-2009, 06:42 AM
According to wiki, Sonic 2 and Chaos came out s little earlier on the SMS.
Many may already know thins, but it's interesting to note that Sonic 2 came out for the SMS (in EU and Brazil) over a month before the MegaDrive/Genesis version's release. (and the tune for "Super Sonic Warrior" of the JP/PAL Sega CD originates from 8-bit Sonic 2)

gamegenie
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Interesting the Home Alone game is vastly different between the Game Gear version and the Master System

ZeoeFUZ468U

as you can see through the intros the Master System version has been Probed.

but the Game Gear takes after the Genesis version.

V6FuCGlRc3E

jesus.arnold
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
There's not much separating the Game Gear and SMS is there?
They both ran on the Z80 CPU.
I think the differences being Game Gear's a portable, and has a slightly lower screen resolution than SMS and can produce more colors.

Did the Master System benefit greatly from this close connection with the Game Gear??No not really at all, the Game Gear connection just allowed it to carry on having a trickle of games late in it's lifespan, The Game Gear however pretty much lived off the Master System's library for years, then after a while games were joint developed for Game Gear/Master System.

Games like Mortal Kombat 1, 2, & 3 were Game Gear titles that were easily ported over the SMS it seems.No, I don't see any evidence for that, in fact seeing as the title was outsourced to a UK company (and the Master System was massive in the UK) it makes me think as though the MS version was just as much a priority as the Game Gear.

gamegenie
05-03-2009, 02:52 PM
No, I don't see any evidence for that, in fact seeing as the title was outsourced to a UK company (and the Master System was massive in the UK) it makes me think as though the MS version was just as much a priority as the Game Gear.

Hmm. that may be , I forget Probe is a UK company. IMO they should have just stuck to the 8-bit ports and let Sculpture handle the 16-bit ports.