PDA

View Full Version : Sega-16 needs a Twitter.

The Sports Guy
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey guys, Im working on my two next articles and I always get sidetracked by Twitter.

We gotta have a twitter page, for like new reviews, articles, hot forum topics, etc.

I'd be down for starting one.

Baloo
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Twitter is senseless bull. Quite pointless in general, and especially pointless for this site.

I vote Nay.

The Sports Guy
05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
It would be cool to post new articles/reviews and maybe get more people to come to the website.

Baloo
05-21-2009, 10:47 PM
We're already in the top ten results in google searches when you search sega genesis and different games.

The Sports Guy
05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Well, maybe I'll start one and see if people hop on board. It certainly can't hurt us any. Is that alright with you, Ken?

Rusty Venture
05-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Doesn't coming to the site/forum accomplish everything you want to do on Twitter?

Why go there just to come here?

The Sports Guy
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
It would maybe bring in people who have never heard of this site, I think it would be fun. If no one follows, it gets axed. Simple as that. It's easy.

EDIT: Plus there is no Sega Genesis presence on twitter.

Rusty Venture
05-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Vaya con Dios then.

May your quest to Genesis-ise the world of Twitter succeed.

I retain the right to boycott Twitter/Facebook/Myspace.

The Sports Guy
05-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm goin with it then. I'll figure it out in the morning.

Tears of Ash
05-22-2009, 02:16 AM
If you do decide to set up a twitter account, may I suggest using some 3rd party apps?

You can use stuff like twollow (http://www.twollow.com/) to automatically add users based on keywords they use. There's also stuff like twitterfeed that would automatically parse your RSS feeds into twitter updates.

A lot of that stuff is pretty handy towards getting your twitter account noticed. The genesis, CD, and 32x need more of a presence on twitter. I can only do so much. :mad:

streetsofrage
05-22-2009, 02:26 AM
we need a modding section not twitter

johnnyb
05-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Twitter is a gay word... all I can picture is a bunch of fruity men flapping their arms about impersonating birds!

Rusty Venture
05-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Which is why you post here, to get your nostalgic 16-bit gaming fix along with scantly clad women.

Mr Smith
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Anything on the Internet that uses the words "Twitter" or "Facebook" is tosh. Both were created for people with too much time on their hands and I blame both for the global recession.

Baloo
05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Anything on the Internet that uses the words "Twitter" or "Facebook" is tosh. Both were created for people with too much time on their hands and I blame both for the global recession.

Facebook is like a mix of IMing and pointless bullshit. They have all these nonsense quizzes on there.

Rusty Venture
05-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Once again, Mr. Smith rolls in and delivers the undeniable truth.

The Sports Guy
05-23-2009, 01:52 AM
I dont want this subject to get out of hand, but to ignore Facebook and Twitter is just showing social ignorance.

I don't have any problem with you guys not liking it, but you have to admit its social impact.

Who knows? Maybe someone stumbling on this website thanks to our Twitter may become the next best staff writer? Do you want to stop that?

Rusty Venture
05-23-2009, 06:43 AM
I can accept the existence of Facebook (if used properly), but I don't really want to use it.

Twitter is the spawn of to much free time and a short attention span.

johnnyb
05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I think it`s best if we leave it so that people come across this site by searching for sega stuff, not out of curiosity because they are bored or have lost their attention on their last 5 minute fix.... we could end up with more unwanted people than we already have turning up briefly from time to time posting inappropriate things.

Rusty Venture
05-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Game, set, match.

Elusive
05-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Twitter is the spawn of to much free time and a short attention span.

Everyone said this about SMS-ing in the beginning.

I like Twitter. It's like texting but for computers :-)

old man
05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I dont want this subject to get out of hand, but to ignore Facebook and Twitter is just showing social ignorance.

I've never been so proud to be ignorant of something.

Kollision
08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Lately there were some instances where I got to know of important stuff beforehand through Twitter. So I think it has sort of become a source of news - not the best, just one more.
yeah, I like Twitter.

So...
Will sega16's twitter be revived or definitely left to rot?

http://twitter.com/Sega16

Guntz
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Sega-16 needs a Twitter.

No... Just, no....

ItellYaHuat
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I think we should just stick with the forum. We share vast amounts of information, news, and knowledge all in one place at the same time. Not to mention it's organized. I wouldn't know how twitter works but I say forums ftw.

NeoVamp
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
we need a modding section not twitter

9000x This, fuck twitter/facebook/myspace

Damn Internet, always hopping on every damn new fad.

OMG I'M FRIENDS WITH SEGA-16!!! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!!!

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/images/icons/yuck.gif

Phantar
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Why the twitter hate? Does anybody have a point why Sega-16 shouldn't have a Twitter account besides of not wanting to jump on "any social fad"?

I like the idea of a Sega-16-twitter account. In my eyes it doesn't have to do anything with "showing off" to be "friends" with the site, but with spreading information. Sure, the regulars around here know when a review or a feature goes online, but there's still a vast sea of people out there who are fans of a particular game or of the Mega Drive in general, but don't know of this site yet. A tweet whenever a new review or feature goes online does only serve to spread the word about Sega-16, so more people may come across this site. The occasional visior who checks in on the website only a few times a month could see in advance when something has gone online that might interest him. And even though I check this website regularly, receiving three or four tweets a week doesn't disturb me at all.

I'm for it.

Melf
08-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I think we should just stick with the forum. We share vast amounts of information, news, and knowledge all in one place at the same time. Not to mention it's organized. I wouldn't know how twitter works but I say forums ftw.

The problem is that for every 10 people who visit the main site, 1 comes and joins the forums. This means that the majority of our readers don't look to the forum for info on the site, like updates. Facebook and Twitter offer ways for them to get that information, as well as attract those people who network and like the Genesis but haven't heard about Sega-16. We've been around 6 years, but there are still people out there who haven't seen us.

Our Facebook page has garnered 258 friends in about 2 months, including some well-known people. I think it's done well. I'd like to reboot the Twitter feed too, and add an icon next to the Facebook one on the main page of the site.

Like it or not, both Facebook and Twitter are massively used methods of networking, and to ignore the advertising potential they present would be a big mistake for us.

Baloo
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
The Problem with the Facebook page is that you don't see the updates that Ken posts on there, they don't show up in the news feed.

You should see if you can get it changed into a Fanpage, that would work much better.

Melf
08-13-2010, 10:22 PM
That's true. Page made!

I'm still ironing out the kinks here, so it should be running smoothly in a few days. Get over there and become fans!

Melf
08-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Our new Facebook page is now linked to our Twitter account, so it will update automatically. I've also added a Twitter button to the main page.

Chevys4ever650
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
twitter sucks

Guntz
08-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Melf, thank you for picking the lower case T over the stupid Twitter Bird. I swear to Jeremiah that thing is infinitely retarded and it annoys the crap out of me.

MCJeffsy
08-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I think its good that we are "Advertising" Sega-16 on twitter and facebook. It may make sense for the twitter page to be "friends" with places such as sonic-retro and other such similar sites. More exposure of the site is good for getting more members and interest in the old school consoles. :)

geralds
09-07-2010, 09:26 AM
twitter sucks its worse then facebook imo.

MCJeffsy
10-10-2010, 01:59 PM
twitter sucks its worse then facebook imo.

Twitter may suck "imo"

But it still has tones of users.

Using twitter as a form of advertising and putting out latest news etc, is definately a useful thing. :P

nissling
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Why Twitter? Why Facebook? Why Myspace? Who needs it?

The Sports Guy
10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I started this page, so if you hate Twitter and can't accept new technological ideas, flame at me for a while.

Smii
10-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Twitter's not satan, or santa, or anything like that - it's alright for the occasional "heh" at people's comments. I haven't used it since the demo of my phone app ran out though (/cheap) and I haven't particularly missed it. I guess I use internet forums for these things instead. ;P

Rusty Venture
10-11-2010, 07:16 AM
pqQpmHCVXPE

N.Saibot
10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
No one needs Twitter, especially not Sega-16. [/thread]

KnightWarrior
10-26-2010, 02:10 AM
It doesn't matter if no one likes Twitter or Facebook, if Ken wants it..he gets it

There 1,786 people following, so it's not a fail

JackieBogard
10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
lol really, Sega-16 being on twitter and facebook is a issue for some people? kinda pathetic. its advertisement for the site.. I dont see the problem.

nathanallan
10-27-2010, 05:29 PM
add one more, I am there.