PDA

View Full Version : Game Gear Collecting

Nunzio
06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
I snagged a Game Gear for $6 the other day. I was thinking of trading it in for credit and getting some Genesis games, but the idea of (basically) an SMS I don't need a TV for is appealing, since I mostly couch surf and my Genesis/Sega CD doesn't come with me too often.

I haven't found much useful info on it though. I haven't been able to test mine out yet, but assuming it doesn't have a half screen of dead pixels and the sound still works I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

Can anyone help me avoid some of the pitfalls? I'm not even sure if it has regional lockout or not. Are there lots of European games worth getting? What is the average price for games?

I know some of you guys have pretty massive GG collections. What do I need to know?

Baloo
06-22-2009, 01:26 AM
There's some really good stuff on it, and no region lockouts on Game Gear, like Game boy.

I would recommend getting:

Gunstar Heroes
Any Sonic games except for Tails skypatrol, Sonic Labyrinth, and Sonic Spinball
Any Disney games
Surf Ninjas
Joe Montana Football
Columns
Super Columns
Streets of Rage II
Shinobi

There's other, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

17daysolderthannes
06-22-2009, 01:33 AM
well, about half of them won't work at all because the capacitors go out like crazy with age. Power Rangers, NBA JAM, SOR, Sonic (Sonic 2 blows, however), mega man (pricey), aladdin, there's more, but I can't think of them.

Nunzio
06-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I'm happy to report no dead pixels and fully functional sound on my unit! Guess I got lucky by the sound of it (pun not intended).

Are there wicked mods you can get for them? Like AV out and stereo speakers?

Smii
06-22-2009, 02:41 AM
With exceptions (mostly Jp imports or other region exclusives - which I have very few of) Game Gear collecting is quite a cheap hobby. There's a good few games that make finding a working console worthwhile :)

Some good games:

Sonic: Triple Trouble, Sonic1 (the rest are best avoided I'd say)
Sonic Drift (2 is better than 1 - not the best racers but I like the novelty :) )
Micro Machines 1/2
Puyo Puyo 1/2, Bean Machine
Fray (Jp exclusive shmup - bit like Twinkle Tale)
Berlin Wall (Another Jp exclusive)
Power Strike II (aka GG Aleste II) - don't think it was released in US?
Columns (different to the 16-bit version)
Shinobi / Shinobi II - both really good games, also Batman Returns (made by same people)
Fatal Fury Special (it's not a console for beatemups, but this one's good. I'd avoid SOR, Mortal Kombats etc - they're too dinky and frustrating to be fun.)
CJ Elephant Fugitive
Crystal Warriors (RPG, looks good and I keep meaning to play it more :/)
Excellent Dizzy Collection (might be a Euro exclusive?)
Tempo Jr (which I prefer to the 32x game for some reason)
Aerial Assault
Halley Wars
Fantasy Zone

Baloo
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the response guys, I'm happy to report no dead pixels and fully functional sound on my unit! Guess I got lucky by the sound of it (pun not intended).

Are there wicked mods you can get for them? Like AV out and stereo speakers?

It already puts out stereo with through the headphones jack, and AV out you can get right from the TV tuner.

kgenthe
06-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Are you sure the TV Tuner has A/V out? From everything I read, I though it had inputs for VCRs or cable boxes, but not any type of output.

If it did have A/V output, where does the game go?

otaku
06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I used to love playing game gear (never owned one though) found one for 10 bucks recently with a few games and an official case but the seller hasn't responded to me:(

Alianger
06-22-2009, 03:08 PM
This article is pretty neat, except for the game recommendations (a beginner's guide to the game gear).

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/gamegear/2008/01/sega-game-gear-101-a-beginners-guide.html

Iron Lizard
06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Are you sure the TV Tuner has A/V out? From everything I read, I though it had inputs for VCRs or cable boxes, but not any type of output.

If it did have A/V output, where does the game go?

Your first thought is correct. It only has the input.

Baloo
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Whoops, I was thinking of A/V Input. Sorry.

retrospiel
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd recommend a GG-Pro:
http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/PARTS/LINKS/OS/ggpro.htm

KnightWarrior
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Someone should do a PowerPak like Cart for the Game Gear with a CF card..We only have tototek flash carts