PDA

View Full Version : Game Gear Sonic Games: The Best and the Worst

Jeckidy
07-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been playing these games lately on Sonic Gems and Sonic Mega Collection Plus. The problem with most of these games is that they tend to be buggy by having dodgy rings, springpads, and enemies, or jerky animations (just to name a few of the tehnical issues) and are bland. Anyways, I'll go over the ones I've played.

1. Tails Adventures
By far, the best of the Sonic GG games and also one of the best Game Gear games I've played so far. The unorthodox approach makes it fresh and exciting, as does the variety of items and locations -- not something you will just finish in one day. Also graphically well done for a GG game. Very carefully thought out without any serious bugs.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog
The original GG Sonic game is one of the better ones as it doesn't seem to have the bugs or jerky animations that plague many of the GG titles. Also fun, fairly challenging, and doesn't stray from the classic Sonic formula. I've always liked this one, and I give it more credit than some of the ones that followed.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails 2)
I also finished this one and thought it was decent. Often considered one of the best.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Decent, but not my favorite of the series.

5. Sonic Drift 1 & 2
These aren't the worst, but honestly I'm not really into these old Outrun/Rad Racer type of games. I haven't invested much time in them though.

6. Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Chaos (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails)
I haven't played much of either, so I'll keep you updated when I get to them.

7. Sonic Spinball
Horrible and bland (to say the least) GG conversion of what I believe to be an underappreciated Genesis classic. 'Nuff said.

8. Sonic Blast/G-Sonic
This is one of the tackiest Sonic games I have ever played and looks like some sort of NES pirate with its psuedo 3D graphics and bland gameplay. Not as jerky or dodgy as some of the others, but it's still depressing to play and look at.

So give me your thoughts on the Sonic GG games, whichever you have played.

Jeckidy
07-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Update time. I did play a little bit of Sonic Chaos, which I heard was the easiest Sonic game. The level design is very redundant, and the stages are short. Not too good so far.

Baloo
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Sonic Chaos - My favorite of the bunch, good mechanics, good levels, has that Sonic feel put into Game Gear.

Sonic 2 - Underrated in my opinion, but very difficult, which turns off a LOT of people to the game.

Sonic 1 - Good game, but it's plagued with slowdown at parts, especially the bridges on the Bridge Level. No level select option also gets annoying after losing all lives and continues and you want to go back to a certain stage.

Sonic Drift 2 - Decent racer for the Game Gear. It's not too bad, but not too outstanding either.

Sonic Triple Trouble - Pretty good, but something seems a little off about the mechanics in this game. Sonic seems to go a little bit slower than in the other games. My least favorite of the series.

Sonic Spinball - Horrible game, stay far away.

Tails' Adventure - Really good Metroid-esque game starring Tails. One of the best games for Game Gear.

Never played Sonic Blast or Sonic Labyrinth, but I hear Sonic Labyrinth is really just awful.

Jeckidy
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sonic Chaos - My favorite of the bunch, good mechanics, good levels, has that Sonic feel put into Game Gear.

Well my experience with the first few levels felt like I was going in loops. I haven't played past Gigapolis, but I might need to play it a bit longer or finish it to make a final opinion on it.

And I've only played a little bit of Sonic Labyrinth. You don't jump in it, only spindash, and it's isometric. Generally, I like the isometric perspective, but it didn't seem that great when I tried it, though I'd have to get into it a little more to tell you what I think of it.

Jesse813
07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Chaos is probably Baloo's favorite since its the easiest one to beat ;)

TmEE
07-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm more fond of the SMS variants of those that have SMS variation

Sonic1 is my most fav, followed by Sonic 2 and Sonic Blast / G Sonic. I was not too fond of Tails' Adventure, but its not a bad game. Sonic Chaos felt a bit poor to me....

Alianger
07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
My thoughts:

1. Tails Adventures
Even though I love Metroid, Monster World and the like I remember getting bored with this by the time I reached the submarine level. I think I missed an item or something and had to backtrack, so I put it on hold and then forgot about it. There's quite a bit of slowdown but I enjoyed the adventure aspect and some of the gadgets were pretty creative.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog
Yeah this one is pretty solid. I like how they changed the scrolling for the GG version so you have an easier time reacting to obstacles and enemies. There's more trial & error in this game compared to the MD version, but once you learn the levels it's a lot of fun.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails 2)
The graphics and music are top notch for the hardware, and from what I recall the level design was above average. Controls could've been better though, it feels a bit jerky to play.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Judging by the sms version: Very poor. The scrolling is choppy, the controls feel really unpolished and the level design is full of cheap hits and lame gimmicks like an uncontrollable hang glider.

5. Sonic Drift 1 & 2
They're OK I guess, I just find it hard to go back to these old racing games with their strange physics and boring courses.

6. Sonic Labyrinth
Worst idea for a sonic game ever and it plays like crap. Very poorly coded.

Sonic Chaos (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails)
This one isn't bad, but it is seriously lacking in difficulty and it's over way too soon. They should've put more effort into the other titles instead of making this one as overall it's just kind of meh.

7. Sonic Spinball
Haven't actually played it but going by the quality of the MD game, I don't think I want to.

8. Sonic Blast/G-Sonic
Pretty much agree here. The game is awful.

jerry coeurl
07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
The best is Tails Adventure. The worst is Sonic Labyrinth. God, what an awful game that is.

A Black Falcon
07-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Haven't actually played it but going by the quality of the MD game, I don't think I want to.

The GG one is actually MUCH easier than the Genesis game. I got a GG recently (a Majesco one, with the better, blur-free screen) and it came with this game and Pac-Man. I wasn't expecting much from Sonic Spinball, as I've had the Genesis game for some time and have never finished the first level because of how ridiculously hard the game is. With the GG one though, I surprisingly found myself having a lot of fun, and actually beat it the day after I got it, using only a couple of continues. So perhaps it's even too easy? Really though, it was just fun. There were a few frustrating parts, finding some of the later crystals, but with some experimentation and exploration I eventually found them all without having to use any guides or anything. So yeah, I actually liked it a lot... pretty fun game. About the only negative I'd mention is that the only difficulty levels are Normal and Easy and the default is Normal, so there isn't much reason to go back to it apart from playing it again, and as I said I beat it quickly. Still, it was definitely fun.

That got me to put in the Genesis one again... and yeah, still can't finish the first level. It's just too hard. :)

As for the rest of them I haven't played them nearly as much, but Tails Adventure always impressed me a lot, and Sonic 1, Chaos, and Triple Trouble seem good. Blast isn't awful, but is too slow and boring. Sonic 2... it's just too hard on the GG, you really need that better draw distance of the SMS version in order to be able to adequately play this game! Labyrinth is just terrible, and I liked Sonic 3D Blast on Genesis, so it's not just because it's isometric; it's just poor. Drift 1 or 2 are okay, but nothing special; I think Sega should have tried to see if they could do something like Mario Kart, that would have been more interesting...

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is alright, but the original version, Puyo Puyo, is better. (The original music is so much better...)

Oh, barely touched Tails' Sky Patrol, so I can't say much about that one.

Alianger
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
That got me to put in the Genesis one again... and yeah, still can't finish the first level. It's just too hard. :)

I remember playing the MD version at a classmates house in elementary school and even though we both hated it, none of us wanted to admit it at the time since we were both huge fans of the platform games. We just decided that a 2-player coop game would be more fun and put Sonic 3 back in :)
I'll give the GG version a go sometime, it's one of the few games for the system that I've never even booted up in an emulator and its library of good exclusives is relatively tiny.

Baloo
07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Chaos is probably Baloo's favorite since its the easiest one to beat ;)

What the fuck does that mean? I also love Sonic 2 unlike most people, and that's damn tough.

Jesse813
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
ah Baloo you shouldn't take me so seriously, I'm only messing w/ you, can't you take a joke? and isn't it a sin for you catholics to curse & swear, and yes I'll be bothering you about sins forever since you went on a big rant in the politics thread about how: high, mighty, and holy you are.

Baloo
07-13-2009, 01:00 AM
Use God's name in vain is a sin yes, cursing however, not necessarily. Depends on the context really.

And yeah, I kind of take things a little bit seriously.

Jeckidy
07-13-2009, 09:28 AM
After finishing Tails Adventures, I've been playing through Skypatrol. Yes it is a bit difficult but it's not that bad so far. I actually kind of enjoy it because it's unique and could even be thought of as a semi-sh'mup. I'll keep you updated when I finish it.

Phexar
07-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog- This was my first ever Sonic experience, and it was fantastic, though Labyrinth feels a bit slow. The first time I ever hunted down and collected all the Chaos Emeralds... yes, this is a special game for me. Looks great, sounds nice, and the controls feel good, too.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2- Somewhat tougher than the original, but still great when you work out how to play it right (though I got stuck on Sky High's hang-glider for years). I never played the Game Gear version so I haven't personally experienced the problematic first boss, though I've seen videos.

Sonic Chaos (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails)- I loved this one initially (play as Tails! + spindash!), but it's far too easy overall, even if everything about Sleeping Egg annoyed me. And Aqua Planet strangely has barely any water, despite it's name. I quite liked the final boss though.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (a.k.a. Sonic & Tails 2)- Very fond of this one, though the controls are a little floaty feeling and I found myself missing the larger viewing area. I recently played a Master System version hack of this, and the increased screen size really helped it somewhat.

I haven't really played any of the others much to give an opinion on them, only enough to know how terrible Sonic Labyrinth is. I didn't like Tails Skypatrol much either.

A Black Falcon
07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I remember playing the MD version at a classmates house in elementary school and even though we both hated it, none of us wanted to admit it at the time since we were both huge fans of the platform games. We just decided that a 2-player coop game would be more fun and put Sonic 3 back in :)
I'll give the GG version a go sometime, it's one of the few games for the system that I've never even booted up in an emulator and its library of good exclusives is relatively tiny.

It was on SMS too in Europe, it's not really exclusive... checking it in emulation though the SMS version seems identical, the GG version is just as good as it.

... Really, the game does have problems -- ball physics are a bit wonky sometimes (though the fact that you can slightly control where you're going by pressing right or left on the pad helps), the default controls are terrible (the default option uses I and II for the paddles... what? Change it! Option B uses II and Down... much, MUCH better!), it is somewhat short and annoying at times (particularly in the last level, I bounced around for quite a while before getting all the crystals)... I don't know how good it is. It's just actually possible, unlike the Genesis game, and thus I enjoyed it. It's alright, probably worth a try.

I was impressed that on this Majesco Game Gear, there was no blurring at all while Sonic was bouncing around, whatever the speed... I'll guess that this is not the case on the Sega ones?

zetastrike
07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Am I the only person in the world who actually liked Sonic Blast? Sonic 1 was good, Chaos' levels are way too short for their own good, Triple Trouble was pretty great. Drift 2 was kind of bleh. It was no Mario Kart. If they made it for the Sega CD, it could have been great.

Earthworm_Jim_Fan
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Looks like someones porting Sonic Triple Trouble to the Master System.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Triple_Trouble_SMS

Far from done, but good to know it's still being worked on.

kool kitty89
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Am I the only person in the world who actually liked Sonic Blast?

Did you miss this post?

I'm more fond of the SMS variants of those that have SMS variation

Sonic1 is my most fav, followed by Sonic 2 and Sonic Blast / G Sonic. I was not too fond of Tails' Adventure, but its not a bad game. Sonic Chaos felt a bit poor to me....

Drift 2 was kind of bleh. It was no Mario Kart. If they made it for the Sega CD, it could have been great.

Yeah, I made a thread about that a while back, even a Genesis version of Drift (with some added features) could have been good, Street Racer on the Genesis shows a decent cart game in that style. (granted it's quite different than that game on the SNES, not to mention Saturn of PSX, and the battle/soccer portions are poor, but the racing is fun and it looks great) Nothing like BC Racers on CD (or 32x) graphically, which both beat the original Mario cart. (smoothe sprite scaling)

http://sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

Obviously
08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Necro bumping this thread because why make a new one to discuss the same thing.

Sonic the Hedgehog:

Probably my favorite of the bunch, especially the Master System version.

It was only the second Sonic game ever so it didn't have a big frame of reference for what a Sonic game should be. It focused more on being a good platformer than a Sonic title and largely succeeded. It's somewhat of an oddball for the Sonic series with a forced scrolling level in the Bridge Zone and in the Master System version the second act of the Jungle Zone doesn't scroll downward, borrowing ideas from other 8-bit platformers like Mario 3 and Kid Icarus respectively.

It's more about tricky jumps than raw speed and that's fine. The difficulty is tough but fair. It manages to be its own unique thing while still remaining close enough to the principles of Sonic on the Genesis. Some of the tunes from Yuzo Koshiro are quite good. The game also gives us Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik's first airship ever!

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:

This one improves a few things while messing up others. You can pick up dropped rings again which is great and the music is still pretty good. It's clear they wanted to get the feeling of speed closer to the Genesis games and the result is mixed.

The Game Gear version is pretty maniacal but the Master System one is better balanced thanks in-part to having more screen real estate. The level design is all over the place honestly and it breaks tradition with one of the most unexpected first levels of any Sonic game.

I really didn't like this one initially because the first two zones are pretty weak. Some elements seem really unpolished like the clouds in Sky High, I hate not knowing what I can or can't stand on in platformers. Some people really hate the hang glider in that zone but it's an alright gimmick once you know how to control it. The game started getting me back in Aqua Lake and had me totally in Green Hills with its loops and chip-tune rendition of "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior."

One of the weirdest things in the game is Tails, who is kidnapped at the start of the game and rescued if you manage to get the emeralds and gain access to Crystal Egg Zone. Even though he's gone we see him tagging along with Sonic in the intro picture to each stage. I think it's clear that Tails was meant to be a playable character but either they didn't have the time to implement him or because this game came out before the Genesis game, Sega may have wanted the playable debut of Tails to happen there. Whatever the reason they decided to keep the confusing intro pictures. I guess they thought they were too nice to waste.

Overall it feels a little more like a Sonic game than the first one but it also feels more unpolished as a result. If you find the GG version too frustrating, give the Master System one a go. It's still harder than the first game however. Oddly enough there are no special stages of any kind and I'm fine with that.

Sonic Chaos:

Sonic Chaos really tries too hard to emulate the Genesis games while sacrificing level design and difficulty for speed and loops. If you want a Sonic game to beat while drunk and half asleep, this is your game.

It's technically impressive and adds some neat new power-ups like the rocket shoes and the portable spring-thingy but other than that I find the game to be quick and boring. The spin dash is finally introduced to the 8-bit games as well as Sonic CD's peel out. You're finally given rings in the boss levels but the bosses haven't really been made harder to compensate. Even worse, collecting 100 rings sends you to a special stage that awards extra lives like candy. The music is still fine but maybe a little more forgettable this time. It still might be worth playing through once to form your own opinion since it won't take you very long.

They rubber-banded from the difficult Sonic 2 to this game which is brainlessly straightforward by comparison. It's smooth and fast and feels Sonicy but what does it matter if the end result is a game you'll likely beat in under a half hour on your first try?

Sonic Triple Trouble:

The Game Gear exclusive Sonic (excepting the unofficial modern port), and probably the most ambitious 8-bit Sonic. This game comes the closest to being a Genesis Sonic in its look and feel. It's the direct sequel to Sonic Chaos as part of the "Sonic & Tails" series and it improves upon it pretty well. The levels are much larger with a lot more to explore. A lot of the bosses, though once again super easy easy, are pretty cool. The graphics are the best out of the bunch with varied and interesting zones that you'll thankfully spend more time in than Sonic Chaos.

It manages to capture the "epic adventure" feel of Sonic 3 & Knuckles pretty respectably on the small screen though the gameplay can be a little choppy. Again the music is nothing memorable though definitely not bad. I also really hate the special stages, most are annoying to get through and even managing to get to them can be a bit of a chore. Other than that the game isn't much harder than Sonic Chaos (You don't even drop all of your rings when you get hit!), just bigger. An experienced Sonic fan will get through it in one sitting but will probably feel more satisfied than with its precursor.

This seems to be the favorite of a lot of people around the Internet and I can see why. Despite sacrifices it comes the closest to delivering the 16-bit experience. I prefer the platforming of the first two 8-bit games myself but I do really enjoy this game.

Sonic Blast:

It's ugly and it has worse level design than Sonic Chaos. It's the only one that lets you play as Knuckles I guess but that doesn't make it worth playing. Don't feel bad avoiding this one.

retrospiel
08-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Sonic Blast could very well be the best Sonic game ever made, I couldn't care less because it's just so fucking ugly. :daze:

Obviously
08-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I played through all of them again recently which is why I posted my impressions. Blast just bored me to death.

midnightrider
08-09-2014, 03:16 PM
I played about halfway through the Master System version of the 1st one recently. I liked it, just haven't gotten serious about playing it through yet.

Guntz
08-09-2014, 03:24 PM
My favorite one was Sonic 1, the Game Gear version. It had good levels, nice music, just the right size of graphics and it was quite fun too. In fact, I'd say Sonic 1 GG had better levels than the Genesis version.

Also, am I the only one who liked Tails' Sky Patrol? I don't get why it's so hated, I thought it was a pretty fun game.

Obviously
08-09-2014, 03:41 PM
I haven't played the Tails games yet. I'll get around to it eventually.

Kamahl
08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Sonic 1 is pretty good. Just an overall competent game, nothing outstanding but very fun.

Sonic 2 is... all over the place, the reduced view on the GG makes it just unpleasant to play (and that ridiculous boss...).

Sonic Chaos is fun but too short and too easy, it also feels kinda wonky to play, more than the previous 2.

Sonic Triple Trouble is the best and most ambitious of the Sonic GG games, basically fixes Sonic Chaos. Still feels a bit wonky.

Tails Adventures is very good. Can also be annoying at times, but it's the closest Sega ever got to a Metroid/Demon's Crest-ish game, more than Monster World.

Never played Sky Patrol, Spinball or Labyrinth.

I played blast about 1 second, it's beyond ugly.

Modelboard4
08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I played sonic on the game gear back when I was 11 in 1991 on a friends, it was a very good game but no where near the MD, sonic was really and truly a 16 bit game....sorry im not trying to demean the good work sega did but I don't think games work well designed for inferior systems, the master system had alex kidd

Obviously
08-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Sonic Triple Trouble is the best and most ambitious of the Sonic GG games, basically fixes Sonic Chaos. Still feels a bit wonky.

One of the things I really hate is the peel out. It's not really necessary and I don't know how many times I accidentally did it and sent myself flying into spikes.

I played sonic on the game gear back when I was 11 in 1991 on a friends, it was a very good game but no where near the MD, sonic was really and truly a 16 bit game....sorry im not trying to demean the good work sega did but I don't think games work well designed for inferior systems, the master system had alex kidd

I don't think anyone will disagree with you that Sonic = 16-bit.

I still find the 8-bit Sonics kind of fascinating in the greater context of the series evolution. They're oddball games with some unique elements to them and neat solutions in regards to their dated tech.

Modelboard4
08-09-2014, 04:49 PM
One of the things I really hate is the peel out. It's not really necessary and I don't know how many times I accidentally did it and sent myself flying into spikes.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you that Sonic = 16-bit.

I still find the 8-bit Sonics kind of fascinating in the greater context of the series evolution. They're oddball games with some unique elements to them and neat solutions in regards to their dated tech.

I agree with you, moonwalker /super Monaco gp on the master system while not as good as the GEN version is so impressive compared to what the nes was doing, I love the master system such a shame companies didn't value it

A Black Falcon
08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Good (or at least above average) - ranked from best to worst
--
1. Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic 1 for the GG is a legitimately good platformer. Other than its one major unfortunate design decision to have no rings in boss levels, meaning one hit in a bossfight and it's back to the start of the stage, it's a good, fun game I quite liked playing through. This is one of the better games on the Game Gear. That's not saying all that much, considering how the Game Gear is one of my least favorite consoles of all the systems I own (and the Master System is right down there with it), but it's true. It's tragic that after this game Sega handed Sonic over to Aspect, who were rarely anything other than bad. This team should have stayed on handheld Sonic!

2. Tails' Sky Patrol - While this game is widely disliked, I actually think its good! I was quite surprised by how much more fun this was than I was expecting, when I got it earlier this year. It's kind of a platformer/shmup hybrid. Interesting concept and decent execution. Unfortunately this game was only released in Japan, but it's worth the import. Tails' Sky Patrol has good graphics and good gameplay as well.

3. Tails' Adventure - While this is an Aspect game, and I dislike almost all of Aspect's games, this one is one of their best games ever, and manages to actually be decent. I really dislike that Sega was so cheap with one of their headliner titles that they couldn't be bothered to put a battery in the cart (while stuff like World Series Baseball got one? Huh?) and instead you need 16-character passwords, but otherwise it's as good a game as you'll ever see running on Aspect's GG engine.

4. Sonic Spinball - Much easier and thus (for me) more fun than the Genesis game, Sonic Spinball was one of the first GG games I owned, and I liked it enough to play through and finish the game. It's simple fun. The physics have some issues, but it's a fun game to play despite that.

5. Sonic Drift 2 - This is another one which was better than I expected. Sonic Drift 2 isn't a great game, but it is an okay one, which honestly was more than I was thinking, considering how subpar this series' reputation is. It's not as good as Outrun or Monaco GP on the Game Gear, but it's a decent racing game. It's only too bad that Sega didn't make a Mario Kart or Power Drift-style Sega CD Sonic Drift game, it absolutely should have happened! Sonic Drift 2 is a somewhat average game, but it's on the good side of average.

Bad (or at least below average) - ranked from best to worst
--
1. Sonic Triple Trouble - Aspect's best traditional Sonic game, Triple Trouble is basically a clone of Sonic Chaos but with new levels and a slightly higher difficulty level. The added challenge makes this a little bit better than the last one (below), but otherwise this is a very bland, average, and unimpressive game. As usual from Aspect, the graphics are good, but the gameplay and level designs are not, and there's slowdown as usual in Aspect games. But really, "Sonic Chaos clone" describes this game best, and that is NOT a compliment. Triple Trouble is kind of bad.

2. Sonic Chaos - Aspect went from one extreme to the other! After the brokenly hard Sonic 2, Aspect made their next GG Sonic game laughably easy. Sonic 1 on the GG was a good challenge; 2 was broken-hard; and then this third game... won't challenge you one bit, particularly if you play as Tails. On that note, the best thing about this game, probably, is that Tails is playable. Sonic 2 GG has that "Sonic & Tails" subtitle on the game, but you can't actually play as Tails there, stupidly enough. This time you can. There are infinite continues this time too, making finishing the game even easier. And as usual for Sega GG platformers, the game is quite short; Sega never made a longer platformer like the kind Nintendo started making on the Game Boy by 1992-1993, they stuck with the simplistic, super-short games instead. Bad decision, in my opinion; compare stuff like Donkey Kong or Mario Land 2 to any of Sega's GG platformers and the vast disparity in budget and attention is clear. I know that on the Genesis Sega made a lot more platformers than Nintendo too, and there they also were usually shorter, but at least the best ones were really good! On the Game Gear that is much less true, and games like this are perfect examples of that. Sorry, but Sonic Chaos is not a very good game. It's short, easy, insubstantial, focuses on graphics above gameplay, doesn't have very good level designs (Aspect standard!), and more.

3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic & Tails - As disappointing and mediocre as Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble are, this game is far, far worse. Sonic 2 was Aspect's first Sonic game, and it's a complete disaster, particularly on Game Gear; it's clear that they mostly designed it for Master System, and then shoved out a shoddy, broken port on the GG. It's quite sad for gamers that THIS was the Game Gear packin for a long time. Why would Sega actually subject people to this thing, instead of, say, giving them the much better first game? Sure, the worst thing about this game is the completely broke first boss -- because of the limited screen size, dodging the incoming obstacles is way too hard, and one hit and you start over, as in Sonic 1 -- but the game doesn't get much better after that. The game starts off with a pretty bland looking mine level, too. Why? Both thematically and in terms of gameplay this game is one of the worst Sonic games of the '90s.

Titles I Don't Own on Game Gear
--
I don't have Sonic Labyrinth, so I can't judge that one. From what little I've played of it in emulation it doesn't look that good, but might be okay, once you accept that it really has very little to do with Sonic -- no jumping, slow speeds, etc.

As for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I don't have that either, but I do have the Japanese Game Gear version of Puyo Puyo, which is the same game with different graphics. It's a good port of a great game, and I'm sure that the US Mean Bean Machine version is just as great. Many of the best handheld games are puzzle games, and that's no exception on the Game Gear; the Columns, Puyo Puyo, and Bust-A-Move games are all really good.

For Sonic Drift 1, I have that in a classic collection, but not on the actual Game Gear. It's very similar to the second game, but with slightly less content and probably slightly worse graphics. So yeah, it's okay, but too similar to the second game to really be worth getting unbless you really need all of the GG Sonic games, I think.

It's the same with Sonic Blast -- I only have that in a classic collection, and not on GG. This is Aspect's last Game Gear game, and I think that how bad it is compared to the previous three Aspect games is highly overstated -- I don't think this game is any worse than Triple Trouble or Chaos. It's just more of the same, except with a graphical overhaul to meet with the CG-characters style of the time. The level designs and gameplay are very similar to those previous two games, except this time it's Knuckles who is playable along with Sonic instead of Tails (who is absent here), and the game has even more slowdown thanks to its CG-rendered graphics. The worse slowdown is a definite problem, but otherwise this game is more of the same. I can't understand why many people seem to actually like those two games but dislike this one; they're the same basic thing, all three of them! Plus I like that you can play as Knuckles. I always have liked him more than Tails. At one point Sonic the Hedgehog 2 & Knuckles (ie S2 locked on to S&K) was maybe my favorite Sonic game... so yeah, slowdown aside, who knows, whenever I get this for GG maybe I'll find I like it MORE than Chaos or Triple Trouble... not sure at this point, but at worst it's only barely worse.

Obviously
08-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic & Tails

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Tails are two different games. Sonic & Tails is the Japanese name for Sonic Chaos.

I'm pretty much with you in wishing Ancient would've made at least one sequel. I would've loved to see more along the lines of the first 8-bit Sonic. I do think Sonic 2 is pretty decent as a Master System game but I agree with you if I'm judging it solely on the GG it's probably the worst of the bunch.

Aspect wasn't always horrible though. Land of Illusion is a fantastic game.

I'm maybe a little too forgiving of Triple Trouble. They learned from some of their mistakes with Sonic Chaos. Objectively it's not great but something about it hooked me.

I don't like Sonic Chaos a whole lot really and Sonic Blast is Sonic Chaos beaten bloody by the ugly stick.

A Black Falcon
08-09-2014, 10:52 PM
I should say that I noticed that I posted in this thread back in '09, shortly after I bought a GG. There I said that Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble looked good. Well, my opinions of both games went steeply downhill after I actually bought the games, that's for sure.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Tails are two different games. Sonic & Tails is the Japanese name for Sonic Chaos.
You are sort of right, but I also am -- I mean, look at the US cartridge for GG Sonic 2, or the Japanese box! There is very large and prominent "Sonic Tails" text on it. That's what I was referring to there -- it shows Tails' picture on the box, has this "Sonic Tails" logo with Tails picture on the cart that also takes up the entire Japanese box... but somehow Tails isn't playable but only is a character you have to rescue? What? It makes no sense!

I'm pretty much with you in wishing Ancient would've made at least one sequel. I would've loved to see more along the lines of the first 8-bit Sonic. I do think Sonic 2 is pretty decent as a Master System game but I agree with you if I'm judging it solely on the GG it's probably the worst of the bunch.
I don't have any import Master System games yet, so I'm judging it only by the GG. I mean, I have played a little bit of Sonic 2 for the SMS in an emulator, but not past the first world; I found that the first boss is a lot more playable (ie, it's not totally broken), but it's the same basic game...

No it's not, it's kind of bad, just like almost all of their games. That games' another massive disappointment compared to its predecessors, just like all of their Sonic games are, or their Donald Duck game as well -- the first Donald game for GG is a good fun game, but Aspect's sequel Deep Duck Trouble isn't any good, like pretty much everything they made.

I'm maybe a little too forgiving of Triple Trouble. They learned from some of their mistakes with Sonic Chaos. Objectively it's not great but something about it hooked me.
It just seems to me like more Chaos. Same graphics, same characters to play as, similar level designs... what's different about it?

I don't like Sonic Chaos a whole lot really and Sonic Blast is Sonic Chaos beaten bloody by the ugly stick.
That is probably true. I don't dislike that CG-rendered look (the DKC and Vectorman games are some of my favorites of the generation!), but it is true that the GG really wasn't meant for such things...

Obviously
08-10-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't have any import Master System games yet, so I'm judging it only by the GG. I mean, I have played a little bit of Sonic 2 for the SMS in an emulator, but not past the first world; I found that the first boss is a lot more playable (ie, it's not totally broken), but it's the same basic game...

Yeah, but as I said the screen real-estate makes a big difference. I think you were on the money when you said they designed it for the SMS then lazily tossed it on the GG. I doubt it will change your opinion on it much but it's certainly more playable on the Master System.

No it's not, it's kind of bad, just like almost all of their games. That games' another massive disappointment compared to its predecessors, just like all of their Sonic games are, or their Donald Duck game as well -- the first Donald game for GG is a good fun game, but Aspect's sequel Deep Duck Trouble isn't any good, like pretty much everything they made.

To each his own with this one. I thought they built on Castle of Illusion quite well and put together a really solid platformer (their other Illusion game is crap though I can't even recall the name of it). Lucky Dime Caper is indeed loads better than Deep Duck Trouble but I don't really find that game terrible. It does have some questionable design decisions though.

It just seems to me like more Chaos. Same graphics, same characters to play as, similar level designs... what's different about it?

I don't really find the level designs all that similar. Sonic Chaos levels are extremely short and linear while Triple Trouble's are not. I felt like I was playing a Sonic game and not a demo of a Sonic game. I like it, it's not my favorite but a lot of people seem to like it a lot more than me for whatever reason.

That is probably true. I don't dislike that CG-rendered look (the DKC and Vectorman games are some of my favorites of the generation!), but it is true that the GG really wasn't meant for such things...

I can handle the pre-rendered look occasionally but Sonic Blast is just blurry ass.

j_factor
08-10-2014, 12:46 AM
I didn't mind the graphics of Sonic Blast really, but I still find it a chore to play. It's slower than the others, the level design is the worst of the bunch, and something about the physics feels off. Spindashing up ramps gives me problems somehow. Sonic Blast is the only 2D Sonic platformer I actively dislike, not counting the Game.com abomination.

Kamahl
08-10-2014, 06:44 PM
You're too harsh on Aspect ABF (though I understand entirely where you're coming from). Tails Adventures, Land of Illusion and Triple Trouble are fine games. A lot of people prefer Land of Illusion to Castle of Illusion even, and Triple Trouble to the first GG Sonic game. I think your experience with Sonic Chaos is clouding your judgement of Triple Trouble a bit, the level design is miles better!

I also find Deep Duck Trouble somewhat decent, but Lucky Dime Capper is about 1000x better so yeah that one I can't defend as much.

NeoZeedeater
08-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Aspect's Coca Cola Kid is pretty good, too.

A Black Falcon
08-10-2014, 08:40 PM
You're too harsh on Aspect ABF (though I understand entirely where you're coming from). Tails Adventures, Land of Illusion and Triple Trouble are fine games. A lot of people prefer Land of Illusion to Castle of Illusion even, and Triple Trouble to the first GG Sonic game. I think your experience with Sonic Chaos is clouding your judgement of Triple Trouble a bit, the level design is miles better!

I also find Deep Duck Trouble somewhat decent, but Lucky Dime Capper is about 1000x better so yeah that one I can't defend as much.
Is Land of Illusion really from Aspect? I'm not so sure... Wikipedia credits Aspect with the game, yes, but Mobygames credits Sega, and the main programmer for the SMS version at least is not credited in any Aspect games as far as I can tell... though the lead artist did also work on Aspect games, so they may indeed have had a role in making the game. It is always a bit confusing with Aspect though, there often seem to be some Aspect and some Sega people involved... anyway, yeah, Land of Illusion is okay.

Anyway, I didn't have an opinion on Aspect before playing their games; it was actually playing the games that made me kind of hate them. I'm only being harsh because they deserve it!

As for Triple Trouble, sorry, I just don't see it as being much different from Chaos. Graphics, design, gameplay, all pretty much the same... the GG Sonic games don't really change much on a design level, Aspect kept trying and failing to make games that are like the first SMS Sonic game. There is probably more different between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on the Geneiss than between all of the GG Sonic games combined... sure, there are some changes -- some have the chaos emeralds hidden in the levels while others have them in side-scrolling bonus stages, some are only Sonic, others have Somic and Tails, and one has Sonic and Knuckles playable, the graphical styles change, and such, but the basic designs stay very similar.

I didn't mind the graphics of Sonic Blast really, but I still find it a chore to play. It's slower than the others, the level design is the worst of the bunch, and something about the physics feels off. Spindashing up ramps gives me problems somehow. Sonic Blast is the only 2D Sonic platformer I actively dislike, not counting the Game.com abomination.
I have no idea how somebody could actually prefer GG Sonic 2 to any other GG Sonic game, Blast included.

Yeah, but as I said the screen real-estate makes a big difference. I think you were on the money when you said they designed it for the SMS then lazily tossed it on the GG. I doubt it will change your opinion on it much but it's certainly more playable on the Master System.
I have no doubt that the SMS version is better, that horrendously broken boss is a big problem, I just doubt that just fixing that would actually make it a good game...

To each his own with this one. I thought they built on Castle of Illusion quite well and put together a really solid platformer (their other Illusion game is crap though I can't even recall the name of it). Lucky Dime Caper is indeed loads better than Deep Duck Trouble but I don't really find that game terrible. It does have some questionable design decisions though.
Huh? What do you have against Land of Illusion? Seems perfectly decent and fun to me. Nice graphics, solid gameplay. It's short and simple as always for Sega GG platformers, but it's okay. Or are you confusing Land of Illusion and Legend of Illusion? Land is the second one, by Sega (or Sega/Aspect). Legend is the third one, by Aspect. It's the one with Aspect's later engine as seen in the later Sonic games and Deep Duck Trouble, better graphics but with slowdown as usual from them, easier and less good level designs as always from Aspect, etc. Legend was the first of the three I got, and I was actually happy to find it because I'd heard that the 8-bit Illusion games were good. But then I played it and was quite disappointed, and after looking the game up was unsurprised to find that it was an Aspect game. And indeed, Castle and Land are better. I'm not a big fan of the Illusion series in general (I wouldn't put the Genesis games on my 'favorite platformers' list either; they're good, but not great), but at least the first two are a lot better than the third one for sure.

As for Deep Duck Trouble, "questionable design decisions" is a hallmark of Aspect games.

I don't really find the level designs all that similar. Sonic Chaos levels are extremely short and linear while Triple Trouble's are not. I felt like I was playing a Sonic game and not a demo of a Sonic game. I like it, it's not my favorite but a lot of people seem to like it a lot more than me for whatever reason.
Maybe I'll try it again, but it hasn't given me this kind of impression.

I can handle the pre-rendered look occasionally but Sonic Blast is just blurry ass.
I guess I don't mind the look so much; it does mean even more slowdown, but it's not like Aspect's GG games don't almost always slow down somewhat anyway...

Kamahl
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes, Land of Illusion was developed by Aspect (and is by far their best game IMO). They did drop the ball on Legend, it's semi-decent, about as good as Deep Duck Trouble. Pretty sure he was referring to Legend since it's the second Mickey Mouse game by Aspect.

A Black Falcon
08-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes, Land of Illusion was developed by Aspect (and is by far their best game IMO). They did drop the ball on Legend, it's semi-decent, about as good as Deep Duck Trouble. Pretty sure he was referring to Legend since it's the second Mickey Mouse game by Aspect.

If Aspect was really entirely responsible for Land of Illusion, then why is the lead programmer cited on Mobygames not cited in any other Aspect titles? Did he just do that one and nothing else for them (his other citations are all for Sega)? http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,540299/

Guntz
08-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I greatly enjoyed Legend of Illusion, lots of good design in there. My only complaint is it's too short and any gameplay elements it uses are too underutilized.

Kamahl
08-10-2014, 09:00 PM
If Aspect was really entirely responsible for Land of Illusion, then why does the lead programmer cited on Mobygames not cited in any other Aspect titles? Did he just do that one and nothing else for them (his other citations are all for Sega)? http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,540299/
It's possible he was transferred to Aspect for the game, would explain the difference in quality.

Gogogadget
08-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Land of Illusion is one of the best games on the SMS and GG.

j_factor
08-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I have no idea how somebody could actually prefer GG Sonic 2 to any other GG Sonic game, Blast included.

Well, to be fair, I'm mainly thinking of the SMS version, since that's the one I've played more. But Blast has some serious collision detection issues, bad physics, the weakest music, and the blandest level design. I just played it a bit to refresh my memory, and yeah, it's still pretty bad. Blast is the only one that I'd actually call bad; Chaos is very mediocre, the rest are decent/good but not great. Sonic 2 has some fun levels and good music, and the physics are good. I prefer Triple Trouble, but Sonic 2 SMS is fine, and better than Chaos. The GG version would be fine if not for the first boss, IMO.

On another note, I also went and played Sonic Labyrinth for a bit, and I actually liked it. What's supposed to be so bad about this game? At worst it shouldn't be a Sonic game, but the actual gameplay is good.

Obviously
08-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Huh? What do you have against Land of Illusion?

You got your signals crossed somewhere. I said:

And then you replied this.

Hence,

You misread my first statement up there. Legend is the one I couldn't remember the name to. That game is mediocre.

I've got nothing against Land of Illusion. Actually it's probably my favorite Illusion game. Hell, it's one of my favorite 8-bit Sega games period.

Maybe Aspect didn't make it though as you've said or maybe Sega had other staffers working with Aspect as Kamahl theorized, I don't know. I can't say without asking the people who worked on it. It's a sweet game regardless.

I'm glad that's cleared up because I couldn't imagine how anyone could call Land of Illusion "bad." :lol:

Gogogadget
08-10-2014, 09:24 PM
I can't believe any praise at all for Sonic Blast, the second worst platforming Sonic game of all time, just a hair above Sonic Jam on the Game.com

Nothing about that game is good, nothing.

A Black Falcon
08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
It's possible he was transferred to Aspect for the game, would explain the difference in quality.

Aspect was of course a shadow-developer who did not get credited for the games they worked on, so it makes sense that Sega would use some of their own staff on the games too, I guess... I've looked this up before, but looking at the credits for Sega GG games on Mobygames finds quite a mixture of staff. Aspect games often have some staff members with mixed Sega and Aspect credits, and some games that Sega itself is credited with (not just on Mobygames, but also elsewhere) have some Aspect or Sega/Aspect people working on them... without asking the actual people in Japan, and I don't know of anything in English which has done this, I think that figuring out exactly what Aspect did and what Sega did is challenging. They often seem to have used some Sega people on games mostly made by Aspect, and perhaps also sometimes some Aspect people in Sega games.

For instance, Monaco GP II (Game Gear). The game is credited to Sega. The game had a small team, and unfortunately Mobygames only identifies three of them, but of those three, one is an Aspect person (all Aspect games from '91 to '95), one is credited in both Sega and Aspect games between '91 and '93, and the third, the sound guy, is a Sega person. Unfortunately the programmer isn't one of the three identified people, but if that was another Aspect game, maybe it'd explain why that game was such a massive downgrade from the first Monaco GP for the Game Gear...

Of course though, the whole point of shadow-developers was to help out companies who needed more people but didn't have them, so the mixing does make sense. Also maybe the Land of Illusion guy didn't do anything more for Aspect because he was clearly far too competent to be stuck working on Aspect games... :p

You got your signals crossed somewhere. I said:

And then you replied this.

Hence,

You misread my first statement up there. Legend is the one I couldn't remember the name to. That game is mediocre.

I've got nothing against Land of Illusion. Actually it's probably my favorite Illusion game. Hell, it's one of my favorite 8-bit Sega games period.

Maybe Aspect didn't make it though as you've said or maybe Sega had other staffers working with Aspect as Kamahl theorized, I don't know. I can't say without asking the people who worked on it. It's a sweet game regardless.

I'm glad that's cleared up because I couldn't imagine how anyone could call Land of Illusion "bad." :lol:

You're right, I misread it.

I can't believe any praise at all for Sonic Blast, the second worst platforming Sonic game of all time, just a hair above Sonic Jam on the Game.com

Nothing about that game is good, nothing.

Well, to be fair, I'm mainly thinking of the SMS version, since that's the one I've played more. But Blast has some serious collision detection issues, bad physics, the weakest music, and the blandest level design. I just played it a bit to refresh my memory, and yeah, it's still pretty bad. Blast is the only one that I'd actually call bad; Chaos is very mediocre, the rest are decent/good but not great. Sonic 2 has some fun levels and good music, and the physics are good. I prefer Triple Trouble, but Sonic 2 SMS is fine, and better than Chaos. The GG version would be fine if not for the first boss, IMO.
These are exactly the kind of things that I just can't understand. I don't get how people could hate Blast so much without recognizing that its gameplay and design are cloned straight out of all of Aspect's other Sonic games! It's not different, and it's not much worse. It's just the same thing again with a new coat of paint. The problem is that Aspect's Sonic designs were bad all along, not that Blast made things far worse.

On another note, I also went and played Sonic Labyrinth for a bit, and I actually liked it. What's supposed to be so bad about this game? At worst it shouldn't be a Sonic game, but the actual gameplay is good.
I'd guess that it's probably because of what you say here, that it's not like a Sonic game at all. I mean, Sonic 3D Blast was hated by many for pretty much that reason, but I at least think it's a good game...

j_factor
08-11-2014, 04:15 AM
These are exactly the kind of things that I just can't understand. I don't get how people could hate Blast so much without recognizing that its gameplay and design are cloned straight out of all of Aspect's other Sonic games! It's not different, and it's not much worse. It's just the same thing again with a new coat of paint. The problem is that Aspect's Sonic designs were bad all along, not that Blast made things far worse.

I really don't see Sonic 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble, and Blast as all the same thing. I guess they all have a certain feel to them, but they're certainly not all of the same quality. Even removing Blast from it, I don't see the other three as clones of each other. *shrug*

In any case, Blast still has borked collision detection, which the others do not. And the spin dash is different. And they didn't implement Knuckles correctly, which is disappointing.

Kamahl
08-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Yeah, Sonic 2 and Chaos/Triple Trouble do not play similarly. They all have Aspect Slowdown(TM) but that's not gameplay. Even Chaos and Triple Trouble don't play quite the same (and the levels in triple trouble are way bigger and more interesting).

phoenix
08-12-2014, 04:27 AM
How many of these were ported to sms so far ?

j_factor
08-12-2014, 04:39 AM
How many of these were ported to sms so far ?

Sonic 1 (actually the GG version is the port)
Sonic 2 (not sure which)
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic Blast (Brazil only release, ported by Tec Toy)

zetastrike
08-12-2014, 11:09 AM
I don't hate Blast, but it feels like an unlicensed game made by Russian pirates. I guess Sega just had to have something to release along with 3D Blast.

Kamahl
08-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Blast [...] feels like an unlicensed game made by Russian pirates.
That's... a perfect description.

Obviously
08-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Sonic 1 (actually the GG version is the port)
Sonic 2 (not sure which)
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic Blast (Brazil only release, ported by Tec Toy)

And here's the ROM of the unofficial SMS Triple Trouble for the heck of it: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Triple_Trouble_SMS

A Black Falcon
08-12-2014, 02:45 PM
That's... a perfect description.

Almost all Aspect games sort of feel that way, though, so that's nothing special about Blast.

Kamahl
08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Almost all Aspect games sort of feel that way, though, so that's nothing special about Blast.
It's not just the feel, it's the look. Aspect games, if nothing else, looked great.