PDA

View Full Version : Master Gear converter: How is it?

Jeckidy
07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
So I'm going to get another Game Gear soon, and still have some of my Master System games lying around but no console to play them. I'm wondering if this thing is any good when playing the games on the GG?

tomaitheous
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
When playing SMS games on the GG, the screen gets all flickery. That's a technical term ;) Looks like it's trying to flip between two video pages of offset reduced pics, to blend into fake high res. It's a novelty thing, wears off quickly. I have a GG game that actually appears to run in that SMS high res mode too (it's on a GG cart). It's so bad, besides the flickering, that you can't even imagine what the text is trying to convey.... >_>

Baloo
07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
85% percent of the Master System's library is already on Game Gear, there's very little reason to get a Master Gear converter.

jerry coeurl
07-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I'd recommend just getting a Master System or a Power Base Converter. Much better to play them on the tv, imo.

Jeckidy
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I see, I didn't know that. And I had a Power Base converter once but got rid of it because it didn't work on any of my MDs. I should've kept it. But whatever. I only wanted to play a few games anyway.

nathanallan
07-14-2009, 03:08 AM
I have a SMS up on the chuckwagon right now, it's in great shape. I have the Phaser, just not pictured (or mentioned, I should have mentioned that). Great working shape.

TmEE
07-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Nomad + SMS enable mod + sleek 3rd party PBC = awesomness

Jeckidy
07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
What is unfortunate is that neither the Master System model 1 or 2 have AV, and the power base converter only works on the Model 1 genesis which also doesn't have AV. It could be modded, but I'm not sure if I'm dedicated enough to go through the trouble of that. I just wanted to play some of the games again like Fantasy Zone and Dynamite Dux.

Jesse813
07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Fantasy Zone is also available on the Game Gear ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Zone-sega-game-gear/dp/B00002SVPN/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1247931783&sr=1-6

Jeckidy
07-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I know, but it's a different version. But I've found A/V cables that work on the Genesis 1 and supposedly can work on the Master System too, at least the first model. However, can the second Master System model also accept these?

Jesse813
07-18-2009, 12:44 PM
No. the 2nd Model has to be modded for use of Composite cables.

Jeckidy
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Ah, ok then. What a shame. It was smaller and more compact too. Oh well, I guess I'll get a model 1 then so I can use A/V. That was the one I used to have, but don't remember it having an outlet for the A/V cables unless it was that big one like the first model Genesis has which I'm assuming it was.

Jesse813
07-18-2009, 12:51 PM
The first Model uses the same Composite cables as Model 1 Genesis

Jeckidy
07-18-2009, 05:40 PM
There are different versions of the SMS to GG converter, some third party and one official. Are they all the same or are there differences between them? Also, does anyone have any videos or pictures of this thing in action?

sasuke
07-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a Master Gear Converter and it works fine. I once played the entire Phantasy Star game on it (the numbers were blurry but the rest were easy to see).

To answer your first question, the difference between the official and third party is mostly that the official sticks up sideways while the unofficial types usually stick upwards. Here's an example:
http://alexkidd.com/peripherals/master_gear.html

Also, Master Gear Converters rarely work with the Tototek Cart, except supposedly the rare Beeshu one.
http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/segahacking/gearmasterhack.html

I do not have any pictures with me, but the graphics are squashed a little and it is a little blurry.

Baloo
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
WTF? You don't need to mod the Genesis 2 for composite output, that's bullshit. 32x A/V cables are the same as the ones for Genesis Model 2.

Jesse813
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Baloo I was talking about the Model 2 Master System not the Model 2 Genesis. Next Time pay more attention before you embarrass yourself again

Jeckidy
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I got my "Gear Master Converter" today. It fits nicely into the game gear. Yes, the games are a bit blurry like mentioned and sometimes games with tiny bullets like Fantasy Zone are hard to play effectively because of that, but it works great for other games like Alex Kidd in Miracle World, etc.

It's nice to have it to test any SMS cartridges I find in the wild, though, and want to resell. Still looking for a copy of Dynamite Dux though.