PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price for a GG?

Da_Shocker
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
http://nashville.craigslist.org/vgm/1482481914.html

I've never really had the urge to get one though.

17daysolderthannes
11-25-2009, 08:48 PM
eh, not really. I mean, I'm sure it's worth more with the box, but GG's are getting to be pretty sketchy on the used market. I would ask him to test it before confirming a deal. I guess with all of the games it's about right.

jerry coeurl
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Ehh, I'm sure if you snoop around you can find one for less. I don't really think I'd be happy with a GG at that price, but maybe it's just me. And none of the games are really jumping out at me as "must haves," to be quite honest. Sonic Chaos is okay and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is love it or hate it but those can be had for like a couple bucks a pop. Probably still sealed, too (there are billions of copies of these games).

GG sucks imo for "on the go" gaming, but if you don't mind playing on the tiny screen in your own home, with the GG plugged into the wall of course, it has quite a few unique titles worth checking out.

tomaitheous
11-25-2009, 09:01 PM
GG's go for about $30+ loose with an AC adapter here. A boxed GG and 11 game for $50? That's decent. It's not a super great deal, but neither is it a bad deal. I don't really know how much the box adds to the value, but if each game cost/worth $1.00 then that's $41 total if he didn't have the box. Which sounds about right. So $9 more for the original GG packaging *is* a good deal IMO.

I got a great deal on the GG by luck; $60 for a GG+ac+car adapter, *official* Sega GG suit case (to hold all of this stuff), TV tuner, SMS adapter, Game Genie + book of codes, that doo-hicky magnifying box/glass that fits over the GG unit so you can see the screen better, a copy of SMS Altered Beast, and 25 GG games all with plastic cases. I didn't get any original boxes though :(

Da_Shocker
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah the GG has always been a system that never really impressed me like the GB did back in the day.

17daysolderthannes
11-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Yeah the GG has always been a system that never really impressed me like the GB did back in the day.

WHAT!?

dude, the GameBoy was a shit sandwich. There was almost nothing worth playing until the GBA, which was like 2001, over 10 years later (than the Game Gear).

Game Gear is awesome, it's just not a smart investment at this point because the capacitors are so flakey and you are almost guaranteed to have to replace them in just a few short months/years.

People complain about battery life, but I always managed fine with my battery pack. Just charge it the night before you planned on going on a trip, etc. and you were good. If you were playing at home, just plug it into a wall outlet.

Still, with the crappy screen (by modern standards), poor reliability (due to short-lived capacitors), short battery life (without a bulky battery pack), you're better off with the near perfect emulation available across a multitude of systems. Master System/GG emulation will even run perfect on systems that struggle with NES emulation.

I might not feel a necessity for the actual hardware anymore, but damn if I don't love the shit out of what the Game Gear represents.

Strider
11-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Green & Yellow Game Gear - Very Cool (http://cgi.ebay.com/One-of-a-Kind-Sega-Game-Gear-w-Sonic-2-AC-adapter_W0QQitemZ230400441982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVi deo_Games?hash=item35a4efbe7e)

Jesse813
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
http://nashville.craigslist.org/vgm/1482481914.html

I've never really had the urge to get one though.
No I got one at the Pawnshop for for 15$ w/ 10 games so you can definitely do better than that.

Rusty Venture
11-26-2009, 03:47 AM
There was almost nothing worth playing until the GBA, which was like 2001, over 10 years later (than the Game Gear).

This is a fallacy.

I will give you that the original GB *screen* is excrement of excrement, but there are awesome games on the Gameboy that make the Game Gear pout like an emo "Twilight" fan.

Knuckle Duster
11-26-2009, 03:57 AM
I wish my Gameboy & Gamegear still worked. Almost certainly dead caps in both of them.

Too apathetic to repair them, don't own any good software anymore.

j_factor
11-26-2009, 04:08 AM
I wish someone would come out with a Game Gear clone system with an a/v out.

Nunzio
11-26-2009, 05:05 AM
If you really want a Game Gear you should consider importing one of the Australian ones, it will save you a headache in the future.

Knuckle Duster
11-26-2009, 05:26 AM
If you really want a Game Gear you should consider importing one of the Australian ones, it will save you a headache in the future.

:huh: What do you mean? Did they get a 'kids gear' redesign like Japan?

Iron Lizard
11-26-2009, 05:42 AM
They are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Baloo
11-26-2009, 06:49 AM
I really like the Game Gear myself, always preferred it to the Game Boy. I always found more interesting games on the GG, like the Sonics, Streets of Rage 2. I got the Game Gear long before the Game Boy though, so my memories are with the Game Gear.

Jasper061992
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Green & Yellow Game Gear - Very Cool (http://cgi.ebay.com/One-of-a-Kind-Sega-Game-Gear-w-Sonic-2-AC-adapter_W0QQitemZ230400441982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVi deo_Games?hash=item35a4efbe7e)

I bet the seller just spray painted it and slapped on $69.95 for it! :rofl:

On topic. Well i don't know TC, i got about 3 Gamegears back in christmas 04 and only 1 of them had sound and good screen, although the power socket was funky. Got another in 05. Perfect sound and screen and lately the screen has gone only halfway bright, must be the caps drying up. But the sound still works thankfully and that gamegear that had everything working on it back in 04 had lost it's sound aswell as the screen going dark.

These things while really good, just have very poor reliability especially when alot of them are now approaching 15-20 years. The screen darkens and the sound gets shot. It's a shame Sega cheaped out on the caps because they could have had a much longer lifespan and those inexperienced with repairing electronics will just chuck those Gamegears when they simply needed cap replacements.

I mean god damn! Up to this very day i am STILL waiting on a company that will produce a GG clone WITH a cart slot (not those stupid playpal ones with 20 built in yadda yadda). Look how many Megadrive, SNES and NES clones were produced and STILL none have stepped up to offer a GG clone with a much higher quality TFT screen, rechargable batteries and dual speakers!

While the original GG's are collectable items, i just don't have big faith in them for normal use anymore. I don't want a handheld that sucks my batteries dry in 5 hours and being stuck to a wall socket. I got about 15-20 games for it going unused, i want to play my GG games dammit!

Sorry for a rantish post lol.

*Continues on waiting for GG clone with cart slot, TFT screen, rechargable batteries and dual speakers*...

But seriously to cut your answer short TC, i think it is quite a good deal especially when it's boxed with all those games you are getting for it. Just don't expect it to last very long until it requires repairing, thats all.