PDA

View Full Version : Why did/didnt you buy a saturn....

runback22
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
The saturn remains the one major gaming console I have never owned.....Back in 95, I had pretty much fallen out of hardcore gaming.....As the genesis and my sega cd faded into the sunset, so had my interest in gaming.....

I'll never forget, walking into a toysrus on my lunch hour one day....There, side by side, were a playstation and saturn kiosk.....I was floored....The internets was still in its infancy so I really didnt have anywhere to turn about which system was better.....I had no freaking clue which one to get....

A couple of weeks later, I went to best buy with money in hand.....Which to get? My immediate pick was the Saturn. It was Sega. Sega had done me so right with my favorite console of all time-the mighty genesis.....I walked to the cashiers and started thinking.....Sega, had also done me so wrong....Suddenly, flashes of wasted potential flashed in my head....Would I be burned again by buying another Sega product like I had with the Sega CD and 32x? I just couldnt take another chance.....I went back, put the saturn down, picked up the Playstation.....and the rest is history.....

Looking back, I regret never owning a Saturn. At times, I think about picking one up to experience some of the games on the system....This system may just be the one that got away....

Scooter
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Back in the day I guess I was a glutton for punishment since I'd been through the Genesis/Sega CD/32X process. Actually, I really did and still like all those systems. I had a LOT of fun with them all. When it finally came time to move on to the next level (pun intended) I just couldn't abandon my old buddy Sega. I got a Saturn, somewhat after launch. Basically, Saturn is a great system, too complicated for it's own good, but it does have some great games if you are willing to dig around a bit. I sincerely wish absolutely every gamer could experience Panzer Dragoon Saga and a Saturn is the only way to do that.

There are many, many exclusive and not exclusive games for Saturn. The best of the best seem to have come out right before the Saturn died an early death and as such are a little harder to find. But they are worth searching for! And I STILL think Saturn has the best 3D controler yet made, simple, effective and fits in my hands beautifully.

From there I eventually also bought a Playstation because I dearly wanted to play Tomb Raider (for some reason I never knew TR came out on Saturn first, never saw a Saturn version in stores). That led to a PS2 and I really like both systems, but Saturn is still a favorite.

I didn't get a Dreamcast until long after it was dead and we were well into the 360/Wii/PS3 era. While I really like it too, I still like my Saturn more. The game quality and selection on Saturn is, in my opinion, superior to that of Dreamcast. The only downside to collecting for Saturn is those huge game cases. They are beautiful, but they are fragile and take up a fair amount of space.

Baloo
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I also prefer Saturn to Dreamcast.

I picked up my Saturn at a flea market for $35, because Saturns around here are fairly hard to come by. At first I only had X-men Children of the Atom and Virtua Fighter Kids, but then I got NiGHTS and the rest is history. Then I moved onto Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Burning Rangers, Sonic R, NBA Jam T.E, Virtual On, and I haven't looked back. My favorite system alongside the Genesis, I only wish it had an exclusive Sonic game.

Scooter
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I fully embraced the whole NetLink thing too, it was my first connection with the internet since we didn't have a computer in the house at that time. I also still have all the NetLink capable games (all 5 of them).

Baloo mentioned some real winners in Saturn library. Sega Rally should not be missed. It is far better than any subsequent version on any other system. Burning Rangers really shows what the Saturn is capable of graphics-wise and is a great game to boot. If you like RPGs, search out Shining in the Holy Ark. If you like Dragon's Lair type games, look for Braindead 13. If you like point and click/survial horro in its infancy, look for D or Enemy Zero. Shooters? Panzer Dragoon I and II. Lots of great platformers were made for the system too. I could go on and on....

JRedmond3
01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I didn't own a Saturn during it's initial run. I think that in retrospect, it was probably for the best. In order to get the most out of the Saturn you really need to be able to have access to imports, and being a kid with no internet and no nearby game shops, I didn't.

Then there's the Dreamcast which is the opposite of the Saturn, most of the games have been ported to other consoles so it's sort of a "you had to have been there" type of console.

Ace
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I picked up my Sega Saturn back in 2007 for one simple reason: Sega's ports of its arcade driving games and the ports of Space Harrier, OutRun and After Burner II. Then, it became one of my big Shoot-em-Up consoles(Gradius Deluxe Pack, Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus, Darius II, Radiant Silvergun, etc.).

Jasper061992
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Eh. I never asked for a Saturn. My Mum just of happened to have gotten me one from Gamestation several years ago for my birthday with a few games. Maybe if it wasn't for her getting one at the time, i still probably wouldn't of had one until around now.

djshok
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I owned a Saturn. After Genesis support was cut off I was looking for a new system and since I really loved all the SEGA products up to that point, and the idea of a Sony game system sickened me, the Saturn was the logical choice.

I don't really regret having purchased it, it was a good choice at the the time. However I didn't really like a lot of the games that came out in that era. I didn't care for the 32bit era at all, the early 3D games companies were coming out with gave me massive headaches and it seemed like most game development was moving in that direction. So with the exception of handhelds I eventually just stopped gaming until the PS3 came out.

The idea of buying Sony products still sickens me, as I have no respect for them as a company (the recent fiasco with firmware 3.01 just reinforces that point), but they're still the lesser of 2 evils for me right now.

I really do miss SEGA making consoles.

Iron Lizard
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I got mine with $200 and 3 game special. I never had a problem getting games for it. With games at $50 a pop and working for minimum wage back ,$4.25, I wasn't buying many anyways. I did have Guardian Heroes, Street Fighter Alpha, Knights, Dragon Force Darius , Albert Odyssey, PZS, Oasis, Gun Griffon, Etc. It kept me busy. If I had been a hardcore gamer I may have wanted a PS1

cabear
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
i bought the saturn when toys r us did a special with Virtua Fighter 2, daytona usa and virtua cop 2. The games were ok i guess, though i didn't really get too into it. Alot of the titles i had were arcade titles so the replay factor wasn't very high. i eventually just forgot about it and went back to playing my playstation.

the dreamcast was really fun though and i got that the first day it came out, no regrets on that purchase!

FoxHound
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Got mine in 98-99 refurb used. my reason was for house of the dead. I already had a N64, then stepped over to Playstation. Got the Saturn and few games for cheap. It didnt last long as the Dreamcast was already in my sights..Saturn was the least played console of mine.

Rusty Venture
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I got a Saturn in 2003 for $17. Game Crazy had one come in that had an AV cable with it. The primary reason was because I was able to snap a copy of "Guardian Heroes" where I worked at for $18.

Why didn't I get one in 1994/1995? I was getting out of console gaming and into computer gaming at the time.

j_factor
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I got a Saturn at the very end of 1995. At that point I thought it had a better lineup than Playstation. In particular, Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Fighter 2 are the two games that made me want a Saturn the most. The following year, I felt vindicated by my purchase when shitloads of awesome Saturn games came out.

I ended up selling it towards the end of '98, for a Playstation, because Sega had exited the US videogame market. Also I played a launch Japanese Dreamcast at a local game store, and I was extremely unimpressed with Virtua Fighter 3tb. Anyway, I missed my Saturn, so I got one again in 2001. And as of now, I have over 150 games for it. Definitely one of my favorite systems of all time.

omp
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I got my Saturn about a year and a half ago for $30, it didn't work (power supply) and it sat shelved for about a year before I got one from a gaming shop to look at, which gave me motivation to look at mine again. The power supply issue was a simple fix, broken AC socket, a solder leg had snapped so I just repaired it and it fired up straight away. I acquired an American Saturn where someone had plugged it straight into the power outlet. A 110v power supply doesn't enjoy the manliness of 240v. I got that for parts, I checked it's laser unit in mine and it works great so I have a spare.

I also got the Action replay cart, modded it with 50/60 switch and it has generic AV sockets as well as S-video. I have the 3d controller that was given to me as well. I have around 10 games for it, let me think Alien trilogy, Panzer Dragoon, Tomb Raider, F1 Challenge, Magic Carpet, Firestorm, Blam Machine Head, Clockwork Knight, Daytona and Cyberia. Most of those only cost me $5 from a shop (all complete).

In the old days I went from a Sega Master System 2 (I didn't get that till the end of it's life) to a Playstation 1 after it's first big price drop (went from $600 down to $300) after my boss told me the PS1 was better (I was young and followed the crowd).

kool kitty89
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
The idea of buying Sony products still sickens me, as I have no respect for them as a company (the recent fiasco with firmware 3.01 just reinforces that point), but they're still the lesser of 2 evils for me right now.

I really do miss SEGA making consoles.
I've never owned a Sony console, but they certainly make plenty of other products. One thing I will applaud them for is on the Trinitron line of TVs, from all models I've seen they've consistantly put the TV/Video (input select) function on the TV itsself as well as most menue funtions and such, even on new models. (not requiring a remote like others) Same for their consistency with remote control stadards. (remotes from 20 years ago tend to work with new sets and vise versa)
We have a really nice early 90s Sony VCR, losts of features, but it started eating tapes about 11 years ago and wasn't practicaly reparable. (the replacement still works fine, also a sony, but it didn't get as much use)

From out experiences JVC products would tend to be the way to go in general for audio/video stuff. (our late 80s stereo amp still works fine -though we replaced it with a newer JVC unit a few years back with newer features, 8 year old DVD player works great, phonograph, casette deck) We've had the best luck with Sanyo TVs in terms of reliability, Sony is OK (and has some nice consistency with the Trinitrons), but Sanyos we've had have lasted longer -even their low end stuff seems to be pretty solid. (Zenith used to be even better, possibly the best, but they got bought out in the early 90s and that changed rather dramaticly) We've had the worst luck with anything mande by Sharp though.

The PS3 is definitely a more solid peice of hardware than the Xbox 360 though. (last gen, the Xbox and GC -probably the DC too- tended to be more reliable machines compared to the PS2 in general I think)

Now, on topic ;)
As many of you know, I gew up with Nintendo (and PC) games and my family tended to get new consoles when they were not so new anymore. (NES in '89SNES used in '96 N64 used in '99, GC in '04 iirc) In fact, a VCS was the only non-nintendo console we had until I got a Genesis+CD last spring.

However, during the late 90s the Saturn seemed to have more of a mystical interest to me than the PSX which I had relatively little interest for. (I'd played one of the Crash games once and Tekken which were OK) I'm not really sure why though, I remember the PSX commercials more vividly (not surprising given Sony's budget) and I hardn;y ever actually played anything on a Saturn (I remember one of the light gun shooters and maybe Panzer Dragoon), though we did get BUG! for PC. Durring that time we had no N64 of course, and the recently aquired SNES, though we did rent an N64 a few times. (usually with SM64, StarFox64, or Shadows of the Empire -actually I think I played Star Fox 64 before I even knew Star Fox existed on the SNES -it came with our SNES that christmas)

But the obvious reason for not getting a Saturn was because we were a Nintendo household plus PC gaming suplemented a lot fo the rest, and in general the N64 was the most attractive system for a 5 and 10 year old who were already nintendo fans (my brother and I), especially after SSB was released earlier that year. (pokemon definitely had something to do with it too -Pokemen Stadium was one of only a couple games we got new for the system)

MitsuruX
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I Actually got the Playstation before my Saturn.. didn't get my first Saturn till about 1997 or so... (then went on a buying binge).. but before then.. we would ofter rent a Saturn from the local video store to get a chance to play all of the great (2D) RPGs that were out for it (PS1 for a time lagged behind in Rpgs)..

But anothering thing that we used to do with the rented Saturn was play around with the CD player function.. that bad boy was cutting edge for the time.. We would use it to remove vocals to songs.. record them on tapes.. or even pitch shift the songs so it sounded like a completely different band played the song..

Fun times.. and a great system..

Oh but to answer the question i was poor as heck and it was a freaking miracle that i even got a PS1... (but then got a job with decent pay.. and the rest was history)

mick_aka
01-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, this is kind of a long story but here we go...

Having had a MegaDrive and MegaCD for quite a while they were getting a bit stale (sorry!) so for xmas (1992 I think) my grandparents brought me a Super Nintendo instead of my normal bevvy of MD games...

Flash forward to xmas '94, by which point my MD and CD had been in the attic for about 18 months, and I decided to trade in my SNES and my by now respectable collection of games for a 32X and a small wedge of cash at Fantasy World (a descision I'm sorry to say I did regret)

So the MD and CD came out of the attic and a year of 32X ownership and ridicule ensued, I actually found that the regular games/under-age drinking nights at my place became very rare as mates preferred to go to somewhere with a SNES :(

The whole of '95 was a build-up to me getting a Saturn, I was saving every scrap of cash I could get in a giant brown medicine jar, I knew it would be after xmas before I could afford one (by this time most of my xmas presents were cash) and I wanted to save as much as I could for games.

I remember quite vividly here in the UK at this time the idea of Sony coming to the console market was considered quite laughable, I remember many people saying that Sony's console would be an overly expensive multimedia platform like the 3D0, anyway I digress...

So xmas rolled around and sometime in the following 3 or 4 days we took a trip to Joystix Games in Stafford and I purchased a Saturn with I believe Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon and Daytona.
Shortly after that I picked up a 2nd controller and Robotica.

The MD/CD/32X once again assigned to the attic I stuck with the Saturn, aquiring may PAL titles and imports, until the Dreamcast launch where upon it met a similar fate.

In late 2001 though a classic gaming BBS set up by some of my old Amiga scene friends I discovered that the Saturn still had a seriously ardent following and I became interested in the system again...

the rest as they say is history, I have a complete PAL Saturn collection and 180 more doubles, all the US exclusive titles plus about another 20 other US games and several hundred JAP titles.
Not to mention consumer consoles, development hardware & software, prototypes, complete collections of Sega Saturn Magazine, Total Saturn, Saturn Power and Saturn+ and all sorts of posters, badges and other paraphernalia.

...and of course www.segasaturn.co.uk

Sorry about the long post!

Da_Shocker
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I would read magazines and get all my information from the internet. Granted they only had a terrible text browser. I was a hardcore Sega fanboy back then. I only had owned a Genesis though. I hated the GG and the SCD was ok but I thought the 32X was gonna be the shit. (got one in 99) I got my first real job in Octoper of 97 and I started to buy a ton of Genesis games then I got a Saturn in Layaway late 97 then I got it out in early 98 for 149.99. Sure it was dying but everything was pretty cheap got NiGHTS brand new wit the controller for 29.99. I would later on by a PSx and a few games but I sold it and I have never owned a N64 beore.

Mr. Ksoft
01-27-2010, 07:20 AM
I'd never really heard much about the Saturn. I only really knew that a couple of Sonic games had come out for it, and that I owned them on PC. So for most of my life, I didn't care that the Saturn existed. However, a few years ago, I started to hear more about what it had to offer, and ended up becoming curious. I had a crappy computer and could not emulate it to check it out, so the Saturn became a sort of mystery system to me. There was no way to experience it except for me to try getting one. I didn't want to plunk down the ridiculous amounts of money the Ebay bundles were at the time, though.
Thus started a good year and a half where I was obsessed with trying to find a Saturn locally. I was completely unsuccessful. At the very end, though, last August, I ended up finding two CIB Saturn games at a mom 'n pop store, and within a few weeks finally ran into a good Saturn deal right here at Sega-16.

I'm pretty happy with it. It's still got some of that mysterious quality because I have few games and can't afford more (and try to avoid using the burned game swap trick too much so I don't kill my console) but what I have is quite good. Fighters Megamix has become a regular party game when my friends come over.

SirArthur
01-27-2010, 07:20 AM
In June of 1995 I walked into Toys R Us and plunked down about $500 for a Saturn and Panzer Dragoon.
I still have my original system & the aforementioned game. It still works wonderfully.

And why? I was a Sega guy at heart. The 1st console I owned was a Master System given to me for X-mas in 1987, & I bought a Genesis near launch in Jan. of 1990. So it was natural to move along to the Saturn.

Favorite game-Dragon Force, with honorable mentions to Shining Force 3, & Shining the Holy Ark.

Sad to see so many here missed out on the system "during its prime".
It's my 3rd fav. console of all time behind the Genesis, & SNES.
Biggest Regrets-I've never gotten over Dragon Force 2 not being localized, & parts 2, & 3 to Shining Force III.

Flygon
01-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Back in the 90's when I was just a little kid, they were being sold for $40 in the Reject shop.

Too bad my Father lacked the funds, he said I would have enjoyed it heavily.

Why I don't have a Saturn right now?

I lack the funds.

History just comes around and bites ya in the ass.

Nick16
01-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I had one when I was younger, my dad bought it over the playstation soon after it came out, just because he liked SEGA. Luckily the Saturn is quite possibly SEGA's best console, in Japan, it's really a shame many great games weren't localized. My dad forgot some of the cords at an apartment and took the saturn apart, trying to mod a wire in, needless to say he broke it.
Now, I have a saturn because I bought it with my own money, still my favorite.

Dunn
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Because I bought a Playstation then, plain and simple. Seems I did a good move.

Ecco
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I really just picked up my Saturn so I could finally play NiGHTS Into Dreams!

Awesome game, and I love the huge round NiGHTS controller too.

Really that's it for me. I used to have Sonic 3D Blast but, well, I've played through it a couple times, but I could never enjoy it that much.

I already had Sonic R on PC which can be quite good -- if you turn off the music, and set it to the thunderstorm mode. Knuckles is great in this game.

I guess during that time I was also becoming interested in DC collecting, so my interest mostly drifted there. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 rocks!

QuickSciFi
01-27-2010, 12:25 PM
For me, it was mainly money (the reason why I couldn't buy one). Here's a vid featuring the whole story on my part and why/how I bought it eventually:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kl0xBU6KJNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kl0xBU6KJNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Joe Redifer
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Why did I buy one? Because I wanted one and I have never regretted getting one.

I got mine on the US launch day, the one that took everyone, including me, by surprise. My friend called me up saying he saw the system at a game store near his work. So I called the Electronics Boutique near my house to see if they had it. They told me it was released today by surprise. So I called up another friend so he could drive me over... I think my car was in the shop at the time or something. Anyway I got there and spent $500+ on the system and games, but I really, really loved it. I had such great times with Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon and Daytona USA. In fact I prefer that version over the remake they came out with later on in the Saturn's life. It feels so much more energetic in comparison.

acdc
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
i saw darkstalkers being played on the playstation and saw tekken 2
only having a megadrive and seing this kind of games i just bought the playstation
other systems like n64 and sturn weren t selling so much games for the machine
and they where going out so yeah i was going for the winner never did regret it
sega fucked us over with 32x sega cd dreamcast but buying a system from my precious money and not getting all the good games and in the end it s out of busniss bye bye

17daysolderthannes
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Why did I buy one? it was $30 complete with the box (though missing the pack-in games and manuals). Modchipped it. Still the worst system I own (except for Game Boy maybe). NiGHTS is fun, Panzer Dragoon is OK, everything else: *snore* what? was this supposed to be fun? *snore*

My dad forgot some of the cords at an apartment and took the saturn apart, trying to mod a wire in, needless to say he broke it.

Why do you people just jump in and start taking shit apart when they don't have the technical experience and haven't even sufficiently looked up the proper way to do it? If you don't know what you're doing, YOU DON'T TRY TO DO IT! I can't tell you how many people tried to fix their systems and then brought them to me at Play N Trade and I was like "sorry dude, you fucked it up, had you brought it to me first, I could've fixed it." If you need to learn, do it on something that is already irreparably screwed up, not something that is working fine and you want to be a 1337 H4x0R and "mod."

ThugsRook
01-27-2010, 03:20 PM
i didnt buy one, dont like CD media.

at least on PC you can (very easily) grab a NOCD patch.

i still hate CD media.

Puffy2k316
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
My dad told me to wait until all the systems came out before I made a decision and by the time the n64 came out the writing was pretty much on the wall for the saturn. Wise man, my dad.

Got one a few years ago and I love it, but it proabaly wasn't as good as the playstation in 96/97

Devil N
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
It was just too damn expensive for me. When the Saturn first came out, it was like gaming heaven had arrived. Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA especially looked absolutely stunning. But the introduction price was a whopping 1149 guilders (I remember it well), which was unheard of at the time. I was only 11 years old at the time, so the simple reality was that the Saturn would be a distant dream.

Then, just a few months later, the PlayStation came out, and in my eyes its games blew the Saturn clean out of the water. Even at that point it was obvious to me that Sony had the upper hand and that the PlayStation would be the future. It was also sold at a much more manageable price, something like 850 guilders. I couldn't buy it right away, but about a year later I managed to sell some of my old stuff, and a lower retail price meant I could get a PSX of my own.

The Saturn simply never came back into the picture. I respect the Saturn for the handful of excellent games it produced, but I never felt the need to get one after the fact.

WarmSignal
01-27-2010, 07:03 PM
They did not exist. At least, I don't think they did. That or I was so hypnotized as a kid by Genesis/SNES and then my switch straight to N64 that I literally didn't notice the Saturn. Had only vaguely heard of it, and when I went to get another 32-bit console it was mostly gone and the PSX was at it's best. I knew the name, but had never seen what a Saturn looked like until after the Dreamcast was discontinued.

Sad but true.

kool kitty89
01-27-2010, 07:05 PM
i didnt buy one, dont like CD media.

at least on PC you can (very easily) grab a NOCD patch.

i still hate CD media.

We've been using virtual CD for quite a while, really simiplifies things. (not free, but a lot more convenient than free disc immage mounting programs tend to be) And of course there are a fair number of games which don't require the CD at all.
Back before that I had a multi CD changer (~2000/01), but that eventually stopped working.
The worst were some of the Sega PC games though, both BUG! and Garfield didn't like more than 1 CD drive to exist, so it would have to be installed to both the 1st and last drives to get them to work, a real pita.

The CD based games with tons of discs are a pain too, at least a lot of the late ones came on DVD as well, or got re-releases.

cj iwakura
01-28-2010, 02:03 AM
I bought mine at its prime. NiGHTS bundle with three free games(Virtua Cop 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA).

Also got Dragon Force, Shining Wisdom, and Bug Too!.

Suffice it to say that was one awesome Christmas.

mugenmidget
01-28-2010, 03:08 AM
I'd love to get one, back in the day it seemed like a waste of money (the only friend I knew who owned it had D and Virtua Cop sans gun), but I played with one at the ScrewAttack Gaming Convention and it was awesome. They only had one of the "good" pads unfortunately, but playing Alpha 2 and Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter was a blast.

I'd like to get one now because the PS2 Alpha Anthology likes to "upscale" the Alpha games which makes them look pretty awful on a good monitor through S-Video (although this isn't a problem with the PSX games and the DC Alpha 3 which run in the right resolution). The controllers are way better than the stock options on PSX/DC.

Games I'd wanna play if I could manage to find a modded one in good condition:

-X-Men: Children of the Atom (Japanese version only)
-Marvel Super Heroes
-Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter
-Street Fighter Collection 1 and 2 (mainly 1 for Super Turbo)
-X-Men vs. Street Fighter
-Street Fighter Alpha 1-3
-Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (although I need to try this one on DC to see if it runs in 240p)
-Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
-Virtual On (although the SEGA Ages version is pretty awesome)
-...and many more I'm sure!

BTW cj iwakura I'm sorry for not showing up on 2DF too often, I hope you've been enjoying it all the same.

Baloo
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Why did I buy one? it was $30 complete with the box (though missing the pack-in games and manuals). Modchipped it. Still the worst system I own (except for Game Boy maybe). NiGHTS is fun, Panzer Dragoon is OK, everything else: *snore* what? was this supposed to be fun? *snore*

Why do you people just jump in and start taking shit apart when they don't have the technical experience and haven't even sufficiently looked up the proper way to do it? If you don't know what you're doing, YOU DON'T TRY TO DO IT! I can't tell you how many people tried to fix their systems and then brought them to me at Play N Trade and I was like "sorry dude, you fucked it up, had you brought it to me first, I could've fixed it." If you need to learn, do it on something that is already irreparably screwed up, not something that is working fine and you want to be a 1337 H4x0R and "mod."

Dude, it's not like he tried to take the system apart, his father did, sheesh. :?

Great stories though everyone.

steve
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Here's my Saturn story in-depth:

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7485/375401.html

In a nutshell, I didn't buy it back in '95 because I was only 11 and my older brother was in control of which systems (and largely which games also) we bought.

I finally got a Saturn in '99 when he wanted Fire Pro 6 Man Scramble badly, and I of course had long eyed World Heroes Perfect, knowing a Neo Geo was impossible. It was a dream come true and from '99-2005 had the time of my gaming life. That's when I became what one could call a "diehard" gamer (I refuse to say hardcore). I racked up over 350 Saturn titles in those years. It was a great time exploring its US, Japanese and European library inside and out. Sniping on eBay. Trading on GameTZ. Even buying "Impact Racing" from GameFellas in Austin, TX back in the summer of 2002. All the free games I received, all the Saturn fanatics I met, it was a great time!

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_930915/IMG_9457.JPG
God bless this game

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_920415/IMG_9267.JPG

tz101
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Got mine this past summer off CL for cheap. Just wish there were more Saturn games to be found in the wild. Only ones I see sometimes are soccer and hockey.:(

snakesqzns
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I was going where Final Fantasy was at the time, so my next console was the Playstation.

PimpUigi
01-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I never got a Saturn because I got a 32X.
32X held me out until mid/late 1996, where we could all see PSX's superiority.

While Nights and Panzer Dragoon are both top tier series, but PSX just had so many more games.

I did finally get a Saturn in 2002, but that's so late it doesn't count.

I got the Dreamcast when it launched.
Best money ever spent.

Allan
01-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Because I was about 7 when they first came out, and never saw it past that one time in Safeway where there was a pyramid stack of ~50 of them just left outside on the shop floor.

rift
02-05-2010, 01:17 AM
1. It was too expensive. The launch price was really high, and there were only like 3 games available

2. I was a big arcade fighting gamer, and I preferred Tekken to Virtua Fighter, so wanted to hold out for the PSX

3. I was kinda burnt out on sega at the time, and the PSX was new and exciting. Sega's controller looked like a really awkward, cheap genesis model, while the psx's seemed revolutionary

4. Did I mention how expensive the darn thing was?

17daysolderthannes
02-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Dude, it's not like he tried to take the system apart, his father did, sheesh. :?

That was a general rant because I hear of this crap happening all the time. I just don't understand WTF people are thinking just diving in on such sensitive electronics with absolutely NO clue what they are doing.

PimpUigi
02-05-2010, 03:02 AM
1. It was too expensive.

3. Sega's controller looked like a really awkward, cheap genesis model, while the psx's seemed revolutionary

This is exactly how I felt.
I hated Saturn after playing MK2 on it at the store. (though I had already played Panzer Dragoon, which I loved)

I hate the name Saturn, I hate the American Saturn controller (what a blunder...) and I hated how you could only buy the Saturn in $500 bundles at the time.

I already had 32X, and it seemed so much better at that point in time.
Star Wars Arcade, Doom, MK2 with no loading+more sound effects, and Knuckles Chaotix...that all together pretty much beats down Panzer Dragoon to me, at that time.
Plus, it looked like 32X was going to have lots of support, and it was selling good enough in America at that time still...

Sad times for Sega.
But, I did get a Playstation and loved it, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, ESPN Extreme games, and many other exclusives, until 989 came and ruined PSX, but that's another story I've already told.

omp
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Jumping Flash

Was a Freaking awesome game I loved it:D

The Coop
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I got my Saturn because of the games I was seeing. Darius Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Astal, Virtua Fighter 2... stuff like that. I wanted to play these games, and so got a Saturn. I bought it off of a friend with VF 2 a year after he got it (after he grew sick of it), and played the hell out of it.

That system died about two years back, and I'm on my second Saturn now (round buttons version).

Chilly Willy
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Sad times for Sega.
But, I did get a Playstation and loved it, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, ESPN Extreme games, and many other exclusives, until 989 came and ruined PSX, but that's another story I've already told.

Sounds like me. I went from the 32X to the PSX, and Twisted Metal and Jumping Flash were a couple of the many great games I loved.

Having gotten a Saturn late last year, I'm a little sad I didn't get one back then. It's a nice console with some great games as well. The Dreamcast was much better. I really like my Dreamcast. :D

CheapAssGamer
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I started university and was too obsessed with girls to have any interest in games. Then a friend gave me my first 3dfx card and the rest is history. Its only the last year that I've started remembering my 8 and 16bit roots.

I still prefer the depth of experience of PC gaming but I don't get much free time to sit in front of a pc with two little rug rats running around. Plus, the graphical violence is a little too realistic for them yet. When they are mature enough to understand it I'll probably go back. In the meantime I like play sonic and aladdin with them:D

Splatterhouse5
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
01. The PSX was cheaper, and at the time, it impressed me more.

02. No one I knew even thought about getting one, and in the following years, I had only met one person that decided to pick one up.

I also just started college when the PSX and Saturn came out. I ended up getting a PSX, but I certainly didnt use it as much as I could have. My college life was just too interesting. By the time the Dreamcast came out, I just didnt really care about gaming enough to get one.

My interest in gaming returned about a year after the PS2 came out, and just about everyone I knew had one.

theredlineboss
02-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Back in the '90's, the only game system I had was an...Intellivision. With 4 games. Only game we enjoyed was Burgertime. That is, at least until one of the controllers ceased to function, which reduced it to a dust collector then a trash-can occupier. Yeah, I was on the cutting edge, lol.

I finally got into console gaming last year with the purchase of a 360, and have since learned about Sega's past. Managed to score a Saturn and a Dreamcast (without cables or controllers) late last year for $5 each, and look forward to seeing what I missed in the mid to late 90's. :D

-Rob

StarMist
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
`95 = Didn't cz I got a very early PS which rightfully devoured all my gaming time and money. Also I'd already played VF in the arcades so there was no looking at the crappy console version and by that time I'd forgiven Namco their Sega plagiarism with Tekken enough to enjoy it as the superior game. PS games were everywhere and so many worth the look.

2002 (ish) = Did cz I wanted to play some more Sega games and the DC sucked. Found a great system with surprising 3rd party support, and since I favour the 32 bit gen over the 16 bit the Saturn easily became Sega's best system for me. Got out of gaming a few years later. Recently returned to gaming and the Saturn still rocks. So does the PS but that's another story. Oh yeah, the DC still sucks.

Bastardcat
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Because the guy at GamXchange told me that I could have Sega Genesis w/Sega CD and five games of my choice for the price of a Saturn and the demo disc.

eddiespruce
01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Because I didn't know they existed until they stopped making them. I didn't purchase a Saturn until 2008, and that was the first time I had ever seen one, and I'm more than likely the only person in my area with one, as nobody around here knows what a Saturn is.

sheath
01-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Virtua Fighter 2 at its US launch. Nothing looked that good or played that smooth for years after either.

Zz Badnusty
01-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Why didn't I get a Saturn?
After experiencing Sega's bold faced lies and shitty product during the Sega CD and 32X days, I was skeptical of the Saturn. But at the same time I was feverish for a home port of Daytona USA. I believed all the magazine hype about the Daytona port, and was saving my money. Then when the surprise launch hit and I saw how crappy the Daytona graphics were, and the other crappy games, and the extreme price tag, and the goofy controller... I easily forgot all about Saturn, and went back to buying up clearance Genesis and SegaCD games. (Still regret waiting for Keio Flying Squadron to drop from $15 to $10 ...it sat in the bargain bin at $15 for maybe a year, but I was tired of shmups, it wasn't worth $15 to me ...if I only knew)

Why did I buy a Saturn?
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (and the pending release of Shining the Holy Ark)

TheSonicRetard
01-06-2012, 02:31 AM
I bought a saturn - at launch, no less - simply because it was made by Sega. The same reason I bought all my sega hardware.

It's as simple as that.

Daria
01-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Saturn had come and gone by the time I even realized it existed. I wasn't exactly on top of Gaming news as a kid.

Own one now of course. Bought it just to play Shining Force 3.

Kogen
01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I thought it was Eddie Murphy in a fat suit. Only in 2004 did I realise it was a video game console.

DarkDragon
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I didnt buy it because they didnt have any games that caught my eye. I was happy with SNES and then in 1997 I knew FF VII was coming out thus Playstation became my console of choice. Nothing the Saturn could have had at that time could top Playstation getting FF VII not even a new Sonic game.

evilevoix
01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I remember the day the Saturn came out. I was in Middle school. I didn't get one because they were so expensive and I wasn't allowed to have video games growing up. However I was allowed to have a" Video Games" magazine subscription. WTF?

xelement5x
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I only had enough cash to get one current generation system, and after going through Toys R Us and looking at all the stuff, I was going to get a Saturn if they'd had Tomb Raider in stock too. But, they didn't, so instead I bought a N64 with GoldenEye.

Looking back it was probably the best decision since my friends and I played that came near constantly for the next couple of years.

I eventually picked up a Saturn in high school, maybe like 97 or so, but didn't start picking up a lot of games for it until the 2000s. I bought it for Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTs, and I had a friend that lent me Panzer Dragoon Saga so I didn't need to buy a copy. :bang::bang:

Crackdown
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I did buy a Saturn . . . .

And NEVER regretted it!!!

TrekkiesUnite118
01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
With my Saturn my dad just came home with it one day. I wish I wouldn't have decided not to go to the store with him that day though, as I might have been able to get a some games that I would have wanted. He came home with the Saturn, 2 controllers, the 3 Free Games Pack, and VR Golf.

Pulstar
01-06-2012, 05:30 PM
The price tag. Went for a personal computer instead. And became a pilot because of that (Not really)

Smii
01-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I didn't own a Saturn at launch. It was expensive, and at the time there just weren't enough great looking games to make me care about it. In fact, the lack of new Sonic games, or sequels to any of my other favourite Sega titles is probably the reason. Instead, I got an N64 - a decision I don't regret.

I finally got a Saturn a few years ago, as it came in a big lot of stuff I won from evilbay, with some of the more pricey games - all very cheap. Shortly after, I found a load of Japanese Saturn games in a charity shop (which hasn't had any Sega games in before or since :/). I suppose I was lucky. I've since discovered the Saturn has quite a lot of really good games - you just have to research first - and possibly pay lots of moneys :l

Curryman123
01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I want to buy one. I contacted 2 assholes on craigslist and no reply. damn it!

gamevet
01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
I was getting pretty burned out on the 16-bit consoles, and even the Sega CD was starting to wear out its welcome. Gamefan magazine kept me updated on the latest happenings with the Saturn and Playstation, in Japan, so I was pretty hyped. Daytona was one of my favorite arcade titles at the time, so I was really excited about playing that on the Saturn, as well as other arcade games from Sega. I also had a Die Hard Gameclub several miles from my home, so I often went there to see the lastest import games and consoles.

I also had an interest in the Playstation, because of what I'd seen at DHG and in the magazines, but when I saw that the Saturn was available at a nearby Toys R' Us, it was an instant purchase. I played Virtua Fighter and Daytona everyday for a month, and eventually sold my Sega CD games to buy an Action Replay and Wing Arms from Die Hard Gameclub. I even rented import games from DHG, until more games came out for the system in North America.

Wing Eye
01-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Me and my brother bought one a few years after launch at a used computer store for $80. I was a die-hard Sega fan then and didn't even consider the Playstation or N64.

Televator
01-07-2012, 02:33 AM
I didn't buy a Saturn....

....because I was a know nothing idiot.

Also, probably because my parents only let me have one system at a time when I was a kid. I went with the N64.

j_factor
01-07-2012, 03:37 AM
I didn't buy a Saturn....

....because I was a know nothing idiot.

This is, in fact, the only reason besides a lack of funds that anyone has ever failed to purchase a Saturn.

Zoltor
01-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Because Sega not only didn't support it, but didn't even advertise the games that it did get, while not only did Sony actually give half a rats ass about their system, they did a bang up job advertisg the games/making it worth while for companies to advertise.

That's why I didn't buy it then, and here's why I'm not gonna buy it now: I have some extra money atm, so I was gonna buy one, until I found out that the price of the better games went up yet again, so screw that(I'm sorry but no game is worth 200 unless It's factory sealed, nevermind a game that is clearly a bit overrated to begin with), hell even just decent-very good games will cost you 50-100 bucks(most of them anyway).

Shadowrun
01-07-2012, 06:53 AM
i didnt buy or really try the saturn until a few years ago, in 2008.

in the 90's i can safely say at the time, it was because of the games. saturn had great games coming out in japan, but in the u.s., the playstation seemed to get everything. games like castlevania sotn, all the rpgs like final fantasy 7 and grandia. exclusive resident evil 2, tomb raider 2, etc.

i mean if the sega would have released the games that were out in the japan, chances are i would have been more interested in the saturn. then during the end of the saturn's lifespan, they finally started releasing games like shining force III. by then, it was too late and i couldn't afford investing into another system.

also i was very excited about the n64. it had the four controller ports, goldeneye, zelda, mario, pilotwings, wave race, f-zero, etc. so even if it had a lack of rpgs, i had my playstation for that.

magicalsoundshower
01-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I remember being turn between the Saturn and the PS1 due to the amount of awesome 2D games made for both systems. I'd spent a lot of time playing SNES and Genesis games at the time which made my Amiga collect dust and I wasn't even that sad when my sister killed it by knocking a glass of water onto it. My best friend had a PC, though, and everything changed when I managed to talk my parents into buying me one. I still think the mid 90s were the best time for PC gaming which made me lose interest in consoles for quite some time. Looking back I think I would've been quite happy with the Saturn, though.

The Jackal
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I remember wanting one since it came out, but my family settled for a PS1 instead. It killed me when I saw an ad for Sonic R in a mag, was still a heavy Sonic fan and I couldn't play it. I finally did get a Saturn, in 2008, and it's a good system. Got myself an Action Replay Plus a few days ago, so I'm gonna start importing some titles soon.

NeoZeedeater
01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I decided to get the Playstation first in 1995 anticipating a 1996 price drop for the Saturn. And that's what happened. It was cheaper in '96 and came with Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona bundled with it. And I got Christmas NiGHTS the same day. It was awesome.

Bastardcat
01-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I owned a Saturn for a while, and the only games I really enjoyed were some of the Sega's first party stuff.

tz101
01-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Craigslist find for $20 about 2 years ago. Just wish I had a 3D controller and Nights...

QuickSciFi
01-08-2012, 04:38 AM
^Same here. All I want now is the 3D controller.

TVC 15
01-08-2012, 07:48 AM
^ Same again!

I didn't buy one, my Nan did, up until then I'd never even heard of the Sega Saturn in my dusty cut off town despite my love of my Megadrive.

Televator
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I also got one on craigslist, but I still need an action replay/memory card for my Saturn.

TheSonicRetard
01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
The 3D controller really is worth picking up. It makes a bunch of games a lot better to control, even besides the usual NiGHTS you hear talked about. Sonic R, for example, is unplayable without a 3D controller IMO. Burning rangers as well.

Sly Wolf
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I passed one at yard sale where seller was asking such an outraged price for about five or three years ago. That was only first time I saw system in the wild.

I never pick one up because any kind of saturn games was not common off-line shopping places such as goodwill, yard sales, flea market and others.

However I picked up tall stack of nine CIB Sega Saturn games from goodwill for $2.99 a piece, second time I saw any saturn games in wild LOL. Sadly I don't have system to try them out and only reason why I pick up those saturn games because it has "Scud The Disposable Assassin" (I loved those comics which this games was based on, yes I know it's kind of meh game), "Herc's Adventures" (because it's worth $50.00), "The legend of Oasis" (I wanna to try this out), "Ultimate Mortal Kombat" (it's Mortal Kombat), "Gex" (well I already have one on PS1 and this is CIB so why not?). last four is Sonic Blast, creature shock, robotic, and arcade greatest hits (this one is for resell).

Now I must find one at cheap price in summer, hmm.

TheSonicRetard
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
If you picked up a CIB Legend of Oasis for $2.99, then you got an incredible deal! Congrats!

Sly Wolf
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
^ Yes I did LOL, I know it worth some money since it seen to be a sequel to a great genesis game (I didn't get this one yet). I'm looking forward playing it someday.

David J.
01-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Too expensive, poor game selection...but I drooled over one and wanted one BAD. Never got one when it was alive. I hated Sony but wanted an N64, didn't get either. Got a PS1 in 2000, and a Saturn in 2001, which was a few months after getting a Dreamcast. 2001 was a shitty year in some aspects but this made up for it. and I have a really huge Saturn collection, while I have a pretty weak PS1 collection. Took years to get a awesome Saturn collection but I now have one.

DarkDragon
01-08-2012, 07:48 PM
The only games I really wanted were X-Men vs SF and MSH vs SF because they were arcade perfect and Playstation got watered down versions with the tag feature removed. Other than that I dont think I missed out on much. Maybe Fighting Vipers or Fighters Megamix but I still had plenty of PSX fighters to keep me busy.

Breetai
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh, a cool necroed thread! Yay!

I was an Atari 2600/NES guy in the 80s. Yeah, I had a few friends with Master Systems, so I'd played and enjoyed stuff like Fantasy Zone, Dynamite Dux, Space Harrier, Afterburner, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Hang-on/Safari Hunt, etc. I liked it, but it didn't beat Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Mega Man for me. Then one of my friends got a Genesis when they were new with Altered Beast, Golden Axe and Moonwalker. I knew Golden Axe from the arcade and liked the Genesis a lot, but it STILL didn't match those NES games in my eyes. Mario was KING. I had my NP subscription and was stoked for the SNES. Mario, Final Fight, Final Fantasy II, Zelda III, etc.... all these games were coming and I wanted in! I had saved enough money for a system by summer 1991. Then... I played Sonic the Hedgehog at a girl's house I had a crush on. Haha, I needed that game! I don't know if it was just Sonic, or me attaching it to a cute blonde girl I liked, but Sonic was making Mario look like a has-been already. I had already played SMW a bit from renting a Super Famicom with SMW and Final Fight (yeah, my little town was awesome like that. Buying imports for us to try out before they came out in Canada!), and Sonic made me forget about all that.

I picked up a Genesis with Sonic and Castle of Illusion and was happy as hell. NHL Hockey came out soon after, and, being a Canadian hockey nut, the Genesis became THE console to own. All the cool kids had a Genesis with NHL Hockey and the SNES was for the dorky guys that I was trying not to be. I felt I'd made the right choice by going with Sega. I became a dork again about two years later by getting a Sega CD when Lunar: TSS came out. :cool:

At any rate, the Saturn appeared in Gamepro sometime in 1994 (which made the 32X seem pointless for me). I remember an issue in 1994 (I forget which month) had a preview of both the Saturn and PS1. I'd played Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer and Tekken in the arcades, and definitely liked the Sega games more. Tekken looked better, but I was a pretty big Sega fanboy at that point. I was looking forward to a 32-bit Sonic, 32-bit Phantasy Star, 32-bit Shining Force, 32-bit NHL Hockey, those awesome Sega Arcade games, Working Designs games (they were still Sega-exclusive at that point), etc. Forget Sony, I wanted Sega.

I couldn't afford a Saturn right away. And, to be honest, I was also enjoying the 3DO. I spent most of 1995 renting either a Saturn (they had one for the early release) or a 3DO every few weekends and buying Genesis and Sega CD games on the cheap (I bought the same copy of Lunar that I'd rented a dozen times for about $25 when the rental store started clearing out Genesis stuff, along with Shining Force II and CD for cheap). I was starting to become obvious that the 3DO wasn't the console to own. The PSX came out and I liked it, but it wasn't the Saturn.

Finally, sometime in 1996 (September or October), I got a Saturn. Yay! One of my friends who got a Saturn right away sold me his. I got the Saturn (model 1), 10 games all in great condition and complete, a Stunner, 2 controllers (both model 1) and hook ups for $350. He used the money for a Playstation. The games I got were:
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Panzar Dragoon
Daytona USA
Worldwide Soccer
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Dark Savior
Shining Wisdom
Dragon Force (holy shit, did I love this game!)

Yup, I scored big! Some of my friends wondered why I didn't want a Playstation. Then I showed them Dragon Force and most of them were jealous. The coming Final Fantasy VII was too strong for them, though. I was very happy.

Of course, when the Saturn Lunar remake wasn't localized on the Saturn but ended up on the PS1, I also got a PS1. Basically, Victor Ireland was my hero and I followed his localizations everywhere.

I left for university in fall 1999. I decided that I'd had enough games and sold my Saturn and PS1 (despite being somewhat interested in the Dreamcast). I kept my 2600, NES and Genesis/Sega CD since they were meant to be shared between my two sisters and myself. Within a year, I'd regretted my decision.

In fall 2000, back in school, I was living in a house with 5 other people. One of them was a guy from Hong Kong who had a bunch of video games. His friend had a modded Japanese white model 2 Saturn that he wanted to get rid of. I bought it for $100. Came with a couple controllers, a couple memory cards, a 4-in-1 Pro Action Replay and a (redundant, because of the PAR) 4MB expansion cart. It was at this point that I saw firsthand all of the great Japanese games that we missed in the west. I got over 100 burnt games with this Saturn. ALL hardware was CIB. I also got a PS1 and a PS2 and a lot of games for both systems.

NiGHTS, Symphony of the Night, Bubble Symphony, Street Fighter Zero 2, the two Darkstalkers games, Fire Pro, the Langreisser games, all three scenarios of Shining Force III, Panzar Dragoon I/II (no Saga), all three Lunars, and... wow, the shooters! Parodius games, the Konami Deluxe Packs, Thunder Force V, Batsungun, Battle Garegga, DonPachi, DoDonpachi, Gunbird, Layer Section I/II (which I recognized as the Ray games on the PS1), Macross, Strickers, Shienryu, Soukyugerentai, and of course, Radiant Silvergun. I had never really gotten much into shooters before, and... I was floored. I spent a lot of time with Macross, DoDonpachi, Gunbird, and the Gradius and Salamander Deluxe Packs mostly. I found Radiant Silvergun too hard. :D At any rate, this was my introduction to the import scene.

A couple years later, I was trying to minimize my games and sold the Saturn stuff for $300 to a collector friend (I made a profit! haha).

Then, in maybe 2007 I got back into the Saturn. I was living in Japan at the time and found a very nice CIB model 1 Saturn for about $30. The games in the shop were a lot of commons for just about $1 each. I couldn't resist. Within a year or two, I had well over 100 Saturn games. Not just cheap stuff, either. I had a physical copy of Radiant Silvergun and about 20 other shooters. This was quality stuff. I also really got into the PC Engine and Neo Geo around this time. I've had most models of Saturn. A model 1 (grey), model 2 (white), a skeleton Saturn, model 1 V-Saturn, model 2 V-Saturn, model 1 Hi-Saturn and model 2 Hi-Saturn. I think the Navi-Saturn is the only one I've never owned. Likewise with the PC Engine. I think the LT and Laser Active are the only PC Engine models I've never owned (yup, I've had a Super Grafx and Shuttle).

Then, in 2010, I sold it all again. This was because of a woman I was trying to please that never did work out in the end (a very long and tiring story that I don't want to get into). I didn't want to sell anything, but I was trying my best to make things work out.

Currently, I am working rebuild on a tight budget. I get a lot of doubles from friends now. I do have a modded US model 2 Saturn with a PAR and 7 games. On the PC Engine side, I just have a Turbografx-16 with 4 games. When I can, I want a PC Engine Duo of some sort (as is in my signature). I do have all of the Saturn games I want copies, but I want to get original games again eventually.

Yup, that is THREE times I've built a Saturn collection and sold it all off (not counting little collections I've bought specifically for selling while in Japan).

To this day, the Saturn is my favourite system. The PC Engine and Genesis are also up there for me. I probably play my Genesis the most, as I have a decent collection of games for it and I like that there are no loading times. I have some good SNES games, but, and I can't really explain why, I get much more enjoyment out of my Genesis than the SNES. Maybe because my year-and-a-half-old daughter likes Sonic the Hedgehog and does the Sonic finger wave like a pro. :cool: I still love the Saturn the most.

Well, that was my Saturn story!

segagamer
01-10-2012, 10:58 PM
When the Saturn launched in the US in 1995, I could not afford it due to the high price. It was not until the price was officially lowered to $299.99 when my brother finally bought it at EBX in January 1996 along with an extra controller, Shinobi Legions, Galactic Attack, and Street Fighter Alpha. We were in heaven. The next day, I rushed out to my local EB Games and Best Buy stores and picked up about $300.00+ worth of games, including Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Cop, and many other first and third party games, some already marked down to about $20.00. Soon I got into the import scene with Thunder Force V and the ST-Key converter from NCS, along with the official Saturn S-Video cable. NCS was the place for me to order JPN Saturn games. In the last decade, I bought my own JVC V-Saturn model 1 and matching controller from eBay along with many of the games I did not buy during the 90's. I have to say that next to my JPN Mega Drive games, the Saturn is the console with the most JPN games in my collection.

KitsuneNight
01-03-2014, 04:21 AM
well not too late to necro this thread i suppose

i wasnt old enough to buy a saturn in 1995 hell i only just got started with hand me down nintendo systems ( anes a game and a snes ) and a megadrive
at that point i was already pretty happy with what i had nevermind the saturn or playstation

i didnt get a saturn untill 99 well past its heyday i walked in to a game shop to buy a few ps games i think there was a saturn on display
and a buy a saturn now get 5 games for free action
i walked out with a saturn under my arm and 5 games ( virtua fighter 2 which was the one that got my attention daytona usa nights night warriors and i think virtua cop 1 )

next year i got a dreamcast as a present

Yharnamresident
01-03-2014, 07:17 AM
I got a funny story.

If they still had Saturns on store shelves in late 2000, my mum would've bought that crap instead of a PS1. She saw how much fun we had with Genesis, so why not get the more powerful successor from the same brand name?

bultje112
01-03-2014, 08:04 AM
I got my first saturn 12 years ago. I was always a sega man. I owned master system, megadrive and even got dreamcast at launch but I never heard anything about saturn. I think in general in at least germany, netherlands and belgium nobody owned a saturn because nobody had ever heard of it. I only found 1 shop in total in 3 years that the saturn was active in these countries selling a very small amount of saturn games and I didn't understand what saturn was or that it was by sega. I never knew anyone with a saturn either. had I heard about it I would've gotten it instead of psx and n64.

Gogogadget
01-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I've had mine for a year or so, I prefer the Playstation but they're both great consoles.

bultje112
01-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Back in the day I guess I was a glutton for punishment since I'd been through the Genesis/Sega CD/32X process. Actually, I really did and still like all those systems. I had a LOT of fun with them all. When it finally came time to move on to the next level (pun intended) I just couldn't abandon my old buddy Sega. I got a Saturn, somewhat after launch. Basically, Saturn is a great system, too complicated for it's own good, but it does have some great games if you are willing to dig around a bit. I sincerely wish absolutely every gamer could experience Panzer Dragoon Saga and a Saturn is the only way to do that.

There are many, many exclusive and not exclusive games for Saturn. The best of the best seem to have come out right before the Saturn died an early death and as such are a little harder to find. But they are worth searching for! And I STILL think Saturn has the best 3D controler yet made, simple, effective and fits in my hands beautifully.

From there I eventually also bought a Playstation because I dearly wanted to play Tomb Raider (for some reason I never knew TR came out on Saturn first, never saw a Saturn version in stores). That led to a PS2 and I really like both systems, but Saturn is still a favorite.

I didn't get a Dreamcast until long after it was dead and we were well into the 360/Wii/PS3 era. While I really like it too, I still like my Saturn more. The game quality and selection on Saturn is, in my opinion, superior to that of Dreamcast. The only downside to collecting for Saturn is those huge game cases. They are beautiful, but they are fragile and take up a fair amount of space.

I agree 100%. 3d controller is still my favorite controller of all time. couldn't be more comfortable

Yharnamresident
01-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Yea its one of the few Sega controllers that actually have enough buttons.

PimpUigi
01-03-2014, 09:02 AM
This is exactly how I felt.
I hated Saturn after playing MK2 on it at the store. (though I had already played Panzer Dragoon, which I loved)

I hate the name Saturn, I hate the American Saturn controller (what a blunder...) and I hated how you could only buy the Saturn in $500 bundles at the time.

I already had 32X, and it seemed so much better at that point in time.
Star Wars Arcade, Doom, MK2 with no loading+more sound effects, and Knuckles Chaotix...that all together pretty much beats down Panzer Dragoon to me, at that time.
Plus, it looked like 32X was going to have lots of support, and it was selling good enough in America at that time still...

Sad times for Sega.

I think that the Sega CD and 32X have a better combined library than the Saturn. Though they don't have anything as good as Nights and the Panzer Dragoon series...Saturn doesn't have anything to really compete with Sonic CD, Batman Returns, Lunar, Lords of Thunder, or Star Wars Arcade+Rebel Assault, and we still get Virtua Fighter 1, Space Harrier, After Burner, Doom, and oddball iconic exclusives like Night Trap and Sewer Shark, plus rare gems of Blackthorne and Spiderman (both Kingpin and Web of Fire). For Saturn's minimum of $400 at the time, those add ons (with huge discounts at the time) look extremely sweet as an alternative...the Sega CD even had some JP Saturn exclusives, like Road Avenger.

Bloodreign
01-03-2014, 09:21 AM
My Saturn was given to me with a PAR 4 in 1. A friend of mine wanted to get me into the system and he had a spare one, so he shipped it to me. 39 games later, I won't complain, it was free, and I'm enjoying the small library I have for it so far.

I also have a PS1 and a bigger library (easier to find here unlike Saturn titles, but looking to grow my Saturn library as best as I can and as affordably as I can) for it. I love video games of old, both do it for me (as well as my 8 & 16 bit consoles and my handhelds, though I prefer my GBA over my DS and PSP).

genesisguy
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I was in 8th grade when the Saturn came out. The last thing on my mind was video games.

EclecticGroove
01-03-2014, 09:57 AM
I got mine during the US launch. I loved my Genesis and Sega CD. The 32x was kind of meh, but at the time had some pretty good looking games slated to be released before long (of course most of those didn't come out).

So when I saw the Saturn, I had the money, the games already there looked like fun (Loved VF and Daytona in the arcades), and Panzer Dragoon I took a chance on since it looked kind of cool, and absolutely loved every moment of it. Sure the later VF remix and Daytona CCE looked much better, but the launch ones were playable, and were perfectly fun.

I've had it ever since and never regretted it. It had more playtime than my Playstation did for a long long time. Dragonforce alone had me hooked for who knows how long... hundreds of hours at least. It took the system being killed off here + several months and good releases for my Saturn to finally give up the spot as most played console in favor of Sony's system. It just wasn't as easy to find imports so the library I had stagnated.

So why did I buy it? I loved the previous Sega systems, this one looked to continue lots of their excellent games... it mostly did, but sadly didn't deliver everything it had promised. But despite that blemish I loved, and still love the system.

MarauderEX
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I got a Saturn the Christmas they started the bundles with Vurtua Fighter 2, Virtua cop and Daytona USA.
Did not regret it until I had to wait for each and every RPG to take its sweet time getting released on the system (I'm looking at you Working Designs) But once the games were released I was a happy camper as I had some unique titles like Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes that you couldnt get on any other system, still even to this day its the only system I will claim being a fanboy of

midnightrider
01-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Went PC 5th gen.

Zz Badnusty
01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I think that the Sega CD and 32X have a better combined library than the Saturn.
That might be arguable if you're only looking at the North American libraries.
Since region restrictions are hardly applicable today you're really neglecting to acknowledge scores of great Saturn games.

PimpUigi
01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, yes. I was looking at it from the time.
JP Saturn games like X-men Vs. Street Fighter significantly boost the Saturn's appeal. But if we're going to say that region restrictions don't apply today, then we should also say that console restrictions don't apply either, and you can get X-men Vs. Street Fighter for free on an emulator.

Thierry Henry
01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
I just had a look at my ebay purchases and I see I've had my first Saturn since March 2008.
Complete in box and fully decked out. I mean it had about half a dozen controllers, multi-tap, AR cart, video card, a couple of s-video cables, a bunch of Saturn demo discs and magazines. Came with a number of games as well incl all three Panzer Dragoon titles.
I distinctly remember it was a lady specializing in antique type sales that I scored that deal off of. The impression I got was that she had little to no idea as to what she was selling.

To answer the thread question,
I didn't know much about the Saturn (Sega had a very limited presence over here) but years later I finally decided to get one based on what I read/info on various online retro gaming sites/general praise for the system. I mean it's amazing how many go gaga for this thing with the usual "it's a 2D beast of a system", and so on. So to see what all the fuss was about I eventually took the plunge.

It's not my favorite console by any stretch but I've definitely had my fun with it.

zetastrike
01-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I got my Saturn on Veterans' Day weekend in 2012. I was going to walk to the game shop by my dorm because I was bored. I stopped and got $60 out of the ATM beforehand "just because", but really it was because I knew I was finally going to bite the bullet and get a Saturn. I'd wanted one since 2004. Luckily the store had one, so I got it, a model 2 controller, power cable, composite cables, and a free game (manx TT) for $55. The next day I went back and bought Virtual On and Slam n Jam 96. I quickly got a PAR cart and now 15 months later I have 36 games, 27 of them Japanese. If it weren't for my sentimental attachment for the Genesis, the Saturn would be my favorite console. It has a certain soul to it that the PSX doesn't have. Playing a Saturn game gives me a different feeling, like it's something special.

Da_Shocker
01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I think that the Sega CD and 32X have a better combined library than the Saturn. Though they don't have anything as good as Nights and the Panzer Dragoon series...Saturn doesn't have anything to really compete with Sonic CD, Batman Returns, Lunar, Lords of Thunder, or Star Wars Arcade+Rebel Assault, and we still get Virtua Fighter 1, Space Harrier, After Burner, Doom, and oddball iconic exclusives like Night Trap and Sewer Shark, plus rare gems of Blackthorne and Spiderman (both Kingpin and Web of Fire). For Saturn's minimum of $400 at the time, those add ons (with huge discounts at the time) look extremely sweet as an alternative...the Sega CD even had some JP Saturn exclusives, like Road Avenger.

Your Sega pass should be revoked lol. Batman Returns isn't any better than Batman Forever on the Saturn. Lunar well we have PDS, LoT. Darius Gaiden or Galactic Attack. Star Wars Arcade is terrible and i'd replace that with Shadow Squadron. If you're comparing when the Saturn was released back at 399 then you make argument that those libraries were better than hell what the N64 had during 96 and maybe the PSx too.

Armoured Priest
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
I'd spent most of 1995 unemployed and living on my parents gift of free room and board. It worked because I had no outstanding bills at the time having graduated HS in 94, and not going straight into college. A friend from High School happened to call me asking me about something, and mentioned the guy he was working for needed some extra help, so I ended up getting that job. I started that job Oct 95. I want to say I was making $7 an hour, with no bills. My first check I bought Chrono Trigger, Lunar 2 (SCD), and 2 CDs (Asia -Aria, and ELP - In the Hot Seat). My second check, I squirreled away most of it, so that for my third check I went to Toys R Us and bought a Saturn. i was fortunate as there was a place nearby that was actually renting Saturn games, so I was able to rent some for a while.

I always had felt I got my money's worth from both the Sega CD and the 32X (a friend and I played Star Wars Arcade to death), and Virtua Racing 32X is still my favorite version of that game. I also generally was lucky to be working when I needed the cash for a new system. Also, in 95, I wasn't completely convinced of Sony's ability to compete as far as awesome games go. I'd seen the 3D0, after all...I still bought a PSX a couple months later anyway, Philosoma and Skeleton Warriors still have a special place in my heart.

bultje112
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
people who think sega cd and 32x combined library comes even close to 10% of what saturn had to offer are out of their minds. and this is coming from a sega cd fan

Cross
01-04-2014, 09:36 PM
I never got a Saturn when it was new because of the price, even i asked over and over again as a i kid, i ended up with a PS1 >.<
Tho i do have one now and i do like it even tho i only have a few games for it.

Vector2013
01-04-2014, 10:25 PM
The saturn remains the one major gaming console I have never owned.....Back in 95, I had pretty much fallen out of hardcore gaming.....As the genesis and my sega cd faded into the sunset, so had my interest in gaming.....

I'll never forget, walking into a toysrus on my lunch hour one day....There, side by side, were a playstation and saturn kiosk.....I was floored....The internets was still in its infancy so I really didnt have anywhere to turn about which system was better.....I had no freaking clue which one to get....

A couple of weeks later, I went to best buy with money in hand.....Which to get? My immediate pick was the Saturn. It was Sega. Sega had done me so right with my favorite console of all time-the mighty genesis.....I walked to the cashiers and started thinking.....Sega, had also done me so wrong....Suddenly, flashes of wasted potential flashed in my head....Would I be burned again by buying another Sega product like I had with the Sega CD and 32x? I just couldnt take another chance.....I went back, put the saturn down, picked up the Playstation.....and the rest is history.....

Looking back, I regret never owning a Saturn. At times, I think about picking one up to experience some of the games on the system....This system may just be the one that got away....

Now that's a love story.

Vector2013
01-04-2014, 10:40 PM
I fully embraced the whole NetLink thing too, it was my first connection with the internet since we didn't have a computer in the house at that time. I also still have all the NetLink capable games (all 5 of them).

One of those is worth alot I think, is it Daytona CCE with netlink logo on case ? A guy who made an hour long Netlink youtube video is looking for it but doesn't want to pay $300 to $2000 and I don't think it was uploaded to internet, can you upload it. Or is it no different than regular Daytona and regular Daytona actually does support netlink ? Or is it daytona (no netlink), daytona cce (no netlink) then daytona cce netlink edition (only 1 comparable) ?

sheath
01-04-2014, 10:42 PM
The Saturn's new price was the same as the PS1 in the US at the same time. Saturn was only more for the short summer pre-launch that journalistic histories paint as THE mistake Sega made, if they don't try to make that the 32X and Sega CD. Two years since my last post in this thread and I still have to say the same. The Saturn had more interesting to me games in 1995, at the same price, than the PS1. Action Arcade games ruled on the Saturn that year and possibly the next in the US.

I bought Saturn for $299 like most PS1 owners early November 1995 with the Hori Joystick and VF2. The rest I am fairly certain I rented for a while, but Virtual On early in 1996 sealed my appreciation of the Saturn.

o.pwuaioc
01-04-2014, 10:58 PM
The Saturn wasn't even on my radar in 1996. I got an N64, but secretly wanted a PlayStation. I don't even remember seeing Saturn stuff in stores, but then again, I was in a small-town Indiana. I of course have since rectified that, and it's one of my most loved consoles, even if most of my games are Japanese imports.

Armoured Priest
01-05-2014, 02:02 AM
people who think sega cd and 32x combined library comes even close to 10% of what saturn had to offer are out of their minds. and this is coming from a sega cd fan

Well, in my case, by no means am I saying that the Sega CD/32X combined library is as good as the Saturn library. I'm just saying it was good enough that I didn't feel burned by Sega, and was OK taking the plunge with Saturn.

Armoured Priest
01-05-2014, 02:18 AM
The Saturn's new price was the same as the PS1 in the US at the same time. Saturn was only more for the short summer pre-launch that journalistic histories paint as THE mistake Sega made, if they don't try to make that the 32X and Sega CD. Two years since my last post in this thread and I still have to say the same. The Saturn had more interesting to me games in 1995, at the same price, than the PS1. Action Arcade games ruled on the Saturn that year and possibly the next in the US.

I bought Saturn for $299 like most PS1 owners early November 1995 with the Hori Joystick and VF2. The rest I am fairly certain I rented for a while, but Virtual On early in 1996 sealed my appreciation of the Saturn.

Yeah, I actually missed the drop to 299 for the Saturn by like a month or so. I paid 349 for my Saturn.

KitsuneNight
01-05-2014, 07:00 AM
i didnt get a saturn because i was 8 at the time
and i was pretty happy with the nes snes and megadrive i had at the time

i didnt get interested in the saturn untill 4 yars later and it was on its way out by then

16-bit
01-05-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm a Sega fan, and I wanted to try it, I wasn't disappointedbecause it was exactly what I expected it to be.

bultje112
01-05-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm a Sega fan, and I wanted to try it, I wasn't disappointedbecause it was exactly what I expected it to be.
you were 4 years old when you got it?

BoostedGR33K
01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
I had spent all of winter of 94/95 shoveling driveways, cleaning the house, damn near anything to get extra cash cause I knew the next generation consoles were on their way. The Saturn came out, and my heart was instantly crushed... "399 fraking dollars?! Who the....what?!" I flipped out a bit, cause I only mustered about 190 bucks at that point. Kept working through the summer, and kept on keeping on. Then, Id heard of this playstation thing from a friend, and sat at his house one night playing Alien Trilogy. BLEW. MY. MIND. I was like "How much do these suckers cost?!" He'd gotten his for his bday, so he wasnt sure... I went to the local Electronic Boutique, and they had them for 299 (and if I remember right, I believe the saturns were down to like 329 or 349 or somethin like that...) Of course, I only had 260 at this point, so the Playstation started sounding more appealing at this point. I still really wanted the Saturn though, cause after all, Genesis did all that Nintendon't did, and like hell I was gonna betray the Emperor and defect to the N64!

Then, the game changer happened. Id won a $50 gift card to Toys R Us from this school event, and was super excited. That plus the 260 Id saved up would definitely put me into the PS1 I thought to myself. So, I let my mom cart me out to the store in mishawalka to get a PS1. I saw all the systems/games set up there, saw the PS1 and got so geeked out - for it was on sale for 249!! So, with my gift card, I could even afford Alien Trilogy with it!! I got the PS1 out of the case, got Alien Trilogy off the shelf and started to make my way to the counter. Then, something happened to me that I'll never forget to this day...

I looked back at the Saturn sitting in the display case. I felt it staring at me - a cross between "Whos that 'other' system your with" and the "Are you really leaving me?!" look. Then, guilt sunk in. I felt so bad - worse than I thought Id feel buying another console other than a Sega product. I had a huge knot in my stomach, and a lump in my throat. I turned away - and by doing this, I condemned Sega.... I always thought that, and people always say "Well, selling one more Saturn/Dreamcast to you Ben REALLY wouldnt have saved Sega..." Theres always that "what if it did..." in the back of my mind though.... Even writing this now I feel that feeling once again. I kinda feel like how Hercules must have felt after waking up from murdering his whole family in his madness. Segas blood is on my hands, and theres nothing I can do to change that. The only way I feel I can repent for this is to collect every piece of sega hardware I can get my hands on. That way, I can finally be at peace with myself...

KitsuneNight
01-05-2014, 08:38 AM
^i kinda doubt that you buyinga saturn would have made nay difference

i didnt get mine till they were on their way out ( a model 1 with 5 games )
but i like to think i redeemed myself because i managed to get a dreamcast in 99 for christmas ( i think )

Iron Lizard
01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
I had spent all of winter of 94/95 shoveling driveways, cleaning the house, damn near anything to get extra cash cause I knew the next generation consoles were on their way. The Saturn came out, and my heart was instantly crushed... "399 fraking dollars?! Who the....what?!" I flipped out a bit, cause I only mustered about 190 bucks at that point. Kept working through the summer, and kept on keeping on. Then, Id heard of this playstation thing from a friend, and sat at his house one night playing Alien Trilogy. BLEW. MY. MIND. I was like "How much do these suckers cost?!" He'd gotten his for his bday, so he wasnt sure... I went to the local Electronic Boutique, and they had them for 299 (and if I remember right, I believe the saturns were down to like 329 or 349 or somethin like that...) Of course, I only had 260 at this point, so the Playstation started sounding more appealing at this point. I still really wanted the Saturn though, cause after all, Genesis did all that Nintendon't did, and like hell I was gonna betray the Emperor and defect to the N64!

Then, the game changer happened. Id won a $50 gift card to Toys R Us from this school event, and was super excited. That plus the 260 Id saved up would definitely put me into the PS1 I thought to myself. So, I let my mom cart me out to the store in mishawalka to get a PS1. I saw all the systems/games set up there, saw the PS1 and got so geeked out - for it was on sale for 249!! So, with my gift card, I could even afford Alien Trilogy with it!! I got the PS1 out of the case, got Alien Trilogy off the shelf and started to make my way to the counter. Then, something happened to me that I'll never forget to this day...

I looked back at the Saturn sitting in the display case. I felt it staring at me - a cross between "Whos that 'other' system your with" and the "Are you really leaving me?!" look. Then, guilt sunk in. I felt so bad - worse than I thought Id feel buying another console other than a Sega product. I had a huge knot in my stomach, and a lump in my throat. I turned away - and by doing this, I condemned Sega.... I always thought that, and people always say "Well, selling one more Saturn/Dreamcast to you Ben REALLY wouldnt have saved Sega..." Theres always that "what if it did..." in the back of my mind though.... Even writing this now I feel that feeling once again. I kinda feel like how Hercules must have felt after waking up from murdering his whole family in his madness. Segas blood is on my hands, and theres nothing I can do to change that. The only way I feel I can repent for this is to collect every piece of sega hardware I can get my hands on. That way, I can finally be at peace with myself...

BoostedGR33K killed SEGA!!!!! GET'EM!!!

Falucho
01-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Great story but its Sega's fault, BoostedGR33K, not yours....

BoostedGR33K
01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
BoostedGR33K killed SEGA!!!!! GET'EM!!!

Are there 12 trials I can do to redeem myself for this act? ; __ ;

o.pwuaioc
01-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Seriously, post of the year.

Ninsega
01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
There were a few reasons why I didn't get a Saturn when it first came out.

Firstly, it didn't have anything appealing to me at the time except for maybe NiGHTS (which was like the only demo I recall playing at Lechmere). A true Sonic game like Sonic Xtreme or whatever would have gotten me to beg my parents enough for it.

It cost a fortune.

And it wasn't really supported by the stores in my area. Like, no store wanted to carry it.

spiffyone
01-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I was at that point starting to go out, have more extra curricular activities, etc. Didn't have the time, or the money, quite frankly. And I still had a NES, SMS, Genesis (+SCD), and SNES, so...I was good. Loads of games for those systems were on sale as stores were getting rid of excess stock. Paying $299-399 for another console just didn't appeal to me, or my family.

The only of-that-gen system I had at during the early portion of that gen was 3DO, and that was my older brother's (he got it used for ~150 with a bunch of games). Not a bad system, I played it quite a bit and games like Star Control II (melee mode was awesome), Alone in the Dark, etc. My friends had PS1s, though, and I played it at their places, but, honestly...I just never wanted one, or a Saturn. 3DO wasn't much, but it was something, and, again, I had those other previous gen consoles and a bunch of good games that I hadn't played on them.

In later years, I just got burned out. Didn't have the time or patience to game. Game Boy actually filled the void because the games on there were short, sweet, and more pick up and play. It was around that time I got a deal on an N64 (this was about '98 or so) and a spare PS1 from an older relative. Again, no Saturn. Too many systems, too little time. Eventually I went back to solely concentrating on the Game Boy for my gaming fix because, y'know...Pokemon really was a helluva drug.

Then one day, while in an Electronics Boutique to buy one of those N64 wrestling games (it was a phase, what can I say?), I saw something that I'd never seen before, and never even knew was in the works: Dreamcast, in a preview kiosk, several weeks before its official release in the US. Seeing Sonic Adventure running, and learning about the upcoming port of Capcom vs. SNK from the store clerk...I had to have it. Not only did DC get me back into home console gaming, but it also got me interested in Saturn. And that's the reason I finally, after all those years of ignoring it, got one. Shame that I didn't buy one that day in EB. See, they had a bargain bin full of Saturn games. Among those games were multiple copies of this game called "Panzer Dragoon Saga". Also another called "Burning Rangers". And another called "Dragon Force".

Since I didn't have a Saturn, and since that new Sega system was going to be released soon enough, I figured it wasn't worth buying the Saturn or those games, no matter how inexpensive they were.

Years later, when I finally did get my hands on a Saturn via ebay, I found out how much those games I listed go for online. That wasn't a pleasant day to be around me.

Iron Lizard
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Are there 12 trials I can do to redeem myself for this act? ; __ ;

Sadly this is the best running the Gauntlet gif I could find but I think axes might be sufficient.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1231860/running-the-gauntlet-o.gif

NeoGeoFanatic
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I didn't get a Saturn until after the Dreamcast was released. I remember when both my brother and I were looking to get another console....our SNES and Genesis were a bit "dated" by the time the PS1 and Saturn were released....my brother was tired of the SNES and wanted something different, I was happy with my Genesis...but he told me "Sega has the Saturn, so we would still be getting a Sega system"...so I was happy then....I was all excited about getting the Saturn...until....until....my brother went to the game store and came back with...NOTHING...but bad news....He told me "um, I didn't know game systems were so expensive! The SNES was only $200....but the Saturn is $399!!"...my jaw dropped....i was only 11 or 12 back in 1994/1995...that was a TON of money!! My brother was only 14 or 15.....my parents REFUSED to buy us game consoles anymore b/c they had bought the NES which my brother sold to buy the SNES...they bought the Game Boy I had sold for something else (I forgot what I sold my Game Boy for)....they had bought the Sega Genesis for me...they were tired of buying game systems...and they DAMN sure weren't gonna spend $400 on a system! Well...a few weeks went by and my brother got a Next Generation Magazine with the PlayStation on the front cover.....we had heard about PlayStation and didn't think twice about it...it just seemed too "kiddy" at the time....the name "PlayStation" sounded like a kids game system.....(now we laugh at the Wii LOL)....the buttons having shapes instead of letters like Nintendo and Sega....we were thinking "this is gonna be a kids toy, with a name like that...buttons were shapes instead of letters"...but once we saw what they showed in the magazine and I do believe it said the PlayStation was $300....we decided to get that......the local EB Games offered a trade-in where you could get $100 trade-in for Genesis and SNES with 3 games.....hell yea, we got a ride, took our consoles to the game store and got us a PlayStation and Battle Arena Toshinden....wow....those graphics were AMAZING back then to us....came with the demo disk and the "exclusive" soundtrack CD that had KoRn on it (and that began my KoRn obsession).....The PlayStation took us by surprise....however....there were classmates in school that had a Saturn and they were talking about how awesome Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter was....I had played Daytona USA in arcades and loved it....PlayStation had Ridge Racer....pretty decent racing game, but NOTHING on Daytona USA.....I hated that we didn't save up money to get the Saturn at that time.....but it was all well in the end due to the lack of titles that the Saturn was getting (at least in my local stores....there was a couple that pretty much scrapped the Saturn section COMPLETELY by the time the N64 was released....the Saturn section got smaller in favor of the JAGUAR!..then wiped out when N64 hit the market....the PlayStation was a better choice for the ease of getting games for us in our area...but we didn't get some of the awesome titles the Saturn got...Guardian Hero's is my favorite Saturn game to date......

Fast forward a few years later....

I was lying in bed one Saturday morning as my mom went out to yard sales......she called and my dad brought the phone to me, I was still half asleep when my mom started telling me about a game system....she said it was a Sega Saturn...with about 6 games and two controllers....before she could tell me what the games were, all I said was 'GET IT!".....it was $50...came with Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop 2, Daytona USA, Bug, NBA In The Zone or some sports game and a demo disk.....I was so happy when she brought that home....There were a few times when I had thought about selling it, but I didn't...I kept it...and I still have it...Guardian Hero's is still in the disk drive.....

Sorry for the long post....just brought back memories as I typed it....

BoostedGR33K
01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Sadly this is the best running the Gauntlet gif I could find but I think axes might be sufficient.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1231860/running-the-gauntlet-o.gif

Would that be the 1st of 12 trials oorrrrrr.... ?

IrishNinja
01-06-2014, 12:58 AM
i loved my genesis (was so good to see Sega on top!) and really enjoyed my Sega-CD, but totally passed on 32x in '94 since all the gaming mags were showing the real next gen on deck...you can imagine how heartbroken i was when the Saturn showed up early, with a $400 price tag. I was bagging groceries for just over $4/hour! i was pretty sour grapes about it honestly, and just stuck with my 16-bit stuff.

by that time next year, PSX had titles i wanted & was about $200, so i bit. not long after, i'd play Mario 64 at a TRU kiosk and jumped on N64 as well - i was dying to mess with a Saturn but no one i knew had it. a short time later, i'd be leaving for college, and about halfway through that, the Dreamcast came out & everyone i knew loved it, so based on my anecdotal evidence, Sega was totally back!

I finally bought a Saturn around this time last year when i saw retro gaming on the rise & decided to buy back some of my stuff & try the rest before it got too bad, so i found a model 2 with unibios & CD-R modding. i slowly jumped in with burns, but since deciding 2014 is Year of the Saturn ive been on a hunt to pick up CIB titles on my list, and it's obviously the RPG's that are gonna be the big chunk of that...still, i managed Dragon Force & Shining the Holy Ark for $100 (both in great shape) so i'm off to a good start!

I really am loving this system too, it's just...unforgivably hardcore. it's funny that all the stuff i lamented in the day (weird architecture, pushing new IP's over my established favorites, etc) really makes it stand out & sing at this point. i even love the dumb clunky Sega-CD leftover cases the US games use, it totally bridges the gap from that jump in my mind too.

Iron Lizard
01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Would that be the 1st of 12 trials oorrrrrr.... ?

I haven't thought that far ahead but I'm thinking the others should at least include RuPaul, Richard Simmons, a clown wig and the 1976 Buccaneers.

KitsuneNight
01-06-2014, 04:04 AM
^ all that is just the second trial though

Knuckle Duster
01-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Trial 3

T-D1KVIuvjA

KitsuneNight
01-06-2014, 04:20 AM
fourth trial is running a gauntlet of crazed nintendo fanboys naked with a chrono trigger cardridge taped to your crotch

and the fifth is to stick your hand through the fire to save a 32 X saw style

NeoGeoFanatic
01-06-2014, 06:18 AM
I think what would REALLY be "Torture" for any Sega fan....destroy a MINT copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga! But that would be more Sega abuse than anything....

Shapey Fiend
01-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I bought my Playstation in 1996. By that point it was already obvious who'd won. The Saturn had no momentum in Europe. I'd had a Commodore and Atari before the Mega Drive so I wasn't going to pick a losing console just because of some sort of blind loyalty. I was going to pick the machine with the best software library, and crucially something popular enough that I'd be able to rent games. There were perhaps 10 different video rental shops in my town that had Playstation games. I don't remember one of them carrying Saturn titles.

bultje112
01-07-2014, 07:32 AM
in europe saturn had the worst possible availability. no retail shops I knew carried it all because they were still angry with sega for sega cd and 32x and also not delivering enough megadrives.

Dragonmaster Lou
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Why did I get a Saturn?

Two reasons. First, I was a long-time Sega fan, so it seemed natural to get their next console. Second, the previews I've seen of the Lunar remakes for Saturn. I was insanely disappointed when I heard WD was stopping Saturn support before the Lunar remakes came out (this was before I found out there were going to be PSX ports).