Quantcast

Thread: Race Drivin'

arcade Race Drivin'

One can imagine the look on the faces of the programmers at Atari just after they were informed that they had to port its polygonal games to the Genesis. Cramming such games as Hard Drivin' and Steel Talons onto Sega's 16-bit machine must have been daunting, and the results were about what was expected (they could have at least tried with Stun Runner, though! I'd have bought that!). Race Drivin' goes to great lengths to fix the problems that dragged down its predecessor, but there's only so much that can be done when the ambition exceeds the hardware by so much. Read our full review and watch out for the cows... and the glitches.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-18-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Just realized that the review went online just a tad more than 1 year (plus two weeks to be exact) after I reviewed "Hard Drivin'"

Dang, if I'd hurried a tad more, maybe I could've hit the 1 year mark exactly.

Oh well...
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Astro Warrior Nameless One Wildfire McCloud's Avatar

It was either this or Hard Drivin' that I remembered playing in an arcade as a kid. The damn loop kept wrecking me, I could never get past it!

It blew my mind when I found out it had been ported to the Genesis. Then I saw the framerate, and I went "Awwwww......."
    "Peanut butter.......vhs.........dvd"
    SURELY REVIVE ZANONI!

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I had Hard drivin as a kid, but never knew about Race Drivin somehow. I wonder if the ROM of this could be sped up dramatically if playing it on an emulator? Could be pretty crazy if you cranked the speed way up on it... For some reason I have a hankering to try to play this game with a real racing wheel and peddles instead of a controller.

This game interests me to the point I will just buy myself one from ebay regardless of the bad score here. I mean C'MON! It's POLYGONAL 3D GRAFIX ON A MEGADRIVE! lol What makes it more interesting is that the devs decided to release it even if it ran at around 5fps. Theres versions that ran even slower and they still released it (Gameboy).

But interestingly, I heard of a cancelled NES port of Hard Drivin' How interesting would that have been had they released it for that 8bit console.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archi...at-almost-was/

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/14/h...es-unreleased/

I would have snapped this version up in a heartbeat considering it almost was to be the first and only 3D game released for it. lol

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I'd recommend Virtua Racing, Formula One, Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, or Newman-Haas IndyCar Racing if you want polygons on the MD.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 02-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper061992 View Post
    But interestingly, I heard of a cancelled NES port of Hard Drivin' How interesting would that have been had they released it for that 8bit console.
    Well, it was ported to 8-bit computers with mixed results. The C-64 version is perhaps the worst thing every produced in the history of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I'd recommend Virtua Racing, Formula One, Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, or Newman-Haas IndyCar Racing if you want polygons on the MD.
    Already own Virtua Racing and Kawasaki. Good games. The difference being with kawasaki/Race Drivin and Virtua Racing, is that Kawasaki and Race Drivin renders 3D graphics entirely in software unlike the VDP equipped Virtua Racing cart.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

I feel the review might have mentioned the single greatest hiccup of this port: conflating the three separate High score tables of the coin-op into a single one...

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    I feel the review might have mentioned the single greatest hiccup of this port: conflating the three separate High score tables of the coin-op into a single one...
    why was that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    why was that a problem?
    Well, the game has three tracks, ergo each track should have their own highscore tables. But given that they're not even saved anyway, I'd say that the feature ends up being pointless one way or another anyway. 😛
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

It's incredibly shoddy on their part. Non saveable hiscores were the default back then. A photo or a piece of paper solve that easily. But not being able to compete regularly because your scores are confused with the stunt track or the other... It's sick.

Thread Information