Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between these two power supplies?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Default What's the difference between these two power supplies?

Model: MK-1602
    Input: 120v AC 60Hz 18w
    Output: 9v DC 1.2A

Model: 1602-1 (does not say MK)
    Input: 120v AC 60Hz 20w
    Output:10v DC 1.2A

It seems like they're close enough that they could be used interchangeably, but which was intended for what system? I had these two connected to my Genesis model 1 (original pre-TMSS) and Sega CD model 2, though I don't know which was which because I unplugged them haphazardly (not that it was necessarily correct to begin with).

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

There's virtually no difference. A 1 volt difference is not going to under/over cook your Genesis. Watts = volts + amperes IIRC.

Nameless One

I don`t know the difference... But my genesis model 1 came with the one lacking the mk.. but its second hand so who knows in this day and age?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

these bricks most likely use exact same inners....
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I don't know why I didn't think to just unhook them and look at what my systems said. My Genesis, which is the "high definition graphics" version, says:

Rating: DC 9v 1.2A
    Use 1602 Genesis AC Adapter only

My Sega CD model 2 says the exact same thing. I happen to have a later-version model 1 Genesis kicking around as well, and it also has the exact same text. So I just wonder what the 1602-1 was actually made for / where it came from. I can only guess that it came from a Sega CD model 1?

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Outrunner

They could be circuit revisions, because I have a lot of these and some say MK-1602 others say 1602-3 etc... The one that is 9V is probably for the Sega CD Model 1 while the 10V one is for the Genesis Model 1, but really it doesn't matter, the Genesis has a built in regulator.

My Sega CD model 2 says the exact same thing. I happen to have a later-version model 1 Genesis kicking around as well, and it also has the exact same text. So I just wonder what the 1602-1 was actually made for / where it came from. I can only guess that it came from a Sega CD model 1?
    Model 1 Sega CD is 1602. One of my model 1 Genesis "High-Def Graphics" has 1601-2. The other one also "HighDef Graphics", which I'm not sure if it's original because I don't have the box for it, has 1602-1. And the third Genesis Model 1 also "High Def Graphics" has 1602-3. This one also wasn't a complete box so I'm unsure of it's authenticity. So who really knows.

I think they got more efficent at converting AC to DC based on the wattage drawn on them.

*1602 (I believe to be the Model 1 Sega CD as that is what came in my box)
    INPUT: 120V 60Hz 17W
    OUTPUT: 9V DC 1.2A
    *1602-1
    INPUT: 120V 60Hz 20W
    OUTPUT: 10V DC 1.2A
    *1602-2
    INPUT 120V 60Hz 25W
    OUTPUT: 10V DC 1.2A
    *1602-3
    INPUT 120V 60Hz 18W
    OUTPUT 10V DC 1.2A
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 02-16-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Needs a MD Scart Cable... Nameless One Allan's Avatar

I've put max. 12v into one with a multi-voltage adapter.

Still works fine.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Wasn't there some sort of polarity issue with SCD model 2 and MD/G model 1 AC adapters ? I remember having fried one of my SegaCDs with a model 2 or model 1 MD/G AC adapter.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

^You sure you're not thinking of NES power supplies? Those can blow Sega CD fuses IIRC.

I have one that is 17 watts and one that is 35 watts, I believe. I have always used the 17 watt one on the Genesis and the 35 on the Sega CD. This is correct, right?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    ^You sure you're not thinking of NES power supplies? Those can blow Sega CD fuses IIRC.
    Thats because the NES is a 10V AC not 10V DC.

I have one that is 17 watts and one that is 35 watts, I believe. I have always used the 17 watt one on the Genesis and the 35 on the Sega CD. This is correct, right?
    I have a complete boxed Sega CD Model 1 and it came with the 1602 (no MK) that is 120 AC 17 Watt. I also bought another Model 1 Sega CD later and it came with the same adapter.

Not sure which one is 35 watts. None of the PSUs I have are that wattage. Can you tell me what model number that is?

The one that is hooked up to my Genesis reads:

MODEL 1602
    IN: 120v, 17w
    OUT: 9v, 1.2amp

The one hooked up to my Sega CD reads:

MODEL 1602
    IN: 120v, 35w

I guess it doesn't matter which one I use with the other, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz
    Watts = volts + amperes
    Actually Watts = volts multiplied by amps. So 35v at 60amps would be 2100 watts.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    The one that is hooked up to my Genesis reads:

MODEL 1602
    IN: 120v, 17w

The one hooked up to my Sega CD reads:

MODEL 1602
    IN: 120v, 35w

I guess it doesn't matter which one I use with the other, right?

Actually Watts = volts multiplied by amps. So 35v at 60amps would be 2100 watts.
    Thats interesting. Do they look the same, because my 1602-2 look totally different from all the other ones I have. All the other ones I have look nice and rounded on the corners and have some grips on the side. The 1602-2 I have look like a brick. Just a sharp cornered brick.

EDIT: Yeah it doesn't matter which one is used on which.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 02-16-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Yes, the both look identical with the rounded corners.

Master of Shinobi

So I'm bringing back this thread from the dead becaue I just noticed Genesis 1 is the only model that requires 9V instead of 10V (Genesis 2, Genesis 3, European Mega Drive 1, European Mega Drive 2: those are the ones I have), so all my Sega power supplies are 10V.

From what I'm digging, I think some japanese power supplies were also 9V. Are all Genesis 1 models requiring 9V ? I know there's not much difference, but my 9V is a bit on the short side: 1 amp instead of 1.2. My 10V Mega Drive 1 model is very bulky and heavy (not original one).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Thread Information