Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valis III

Default Valis III

Despite two other releases, Genesis owners were lucky enough to get a great port of Valis III. Sure, it's missing some levels and a few cut scenes, but this is essentially the same game, and it was one of the big draws from Renovation upon its debut. Moreover, it has perhaps one of the best endings of the pre-CD era, a perfect cap to the awesome storyline that unfolds between stages (complete with Engrish and everything!). Our full review tells all.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Definitely the best in the series.

Too bad that the ice level will drive people absolutely insane.
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

Quote Originally Posted by kevinski
    Definitely the best in the series.

Too bad that the ice level will drive people absolutely insane.
    Hell yeah! I still play Valis III quite regularly. It's one of the few games that I haven't beat yet (damn you ice level! *shakes fist*). Btw, does the Turbografx 16 version have more stages than the Genesis? Because I remember doing the code for viewing the cinemas (on the Genesis), and I remember an act or two is missing.

Yes. As was mentioned in the review, the Genesis version is missing levels. Why couldn't it be missing the ice level, though? Hahahaha…surely the other levels were better…

Actually, those levels that are missing are about on par with the nefarious ice level in regards to difficulty. The whole game is tougher on the TG CD.

Well, that's good. I suppose that I wouldn't miss them, then.

The Turbo CD version features much quicker and more responsive controls. Unfortunately it lacks layered scrolling and has fuzzy scrolling like all Turbo and NES games. All in all I prefer the Genesis version.

Also, I thought the C button was the jump button. Can they be changed?

I don't recall being able to change the controls. Holding A switches characters, while pressing A (while holding Down) slides. Pressing B attacks, and C jumps. Honestly, having separate buttons assigned to jump and slide kinda throws me off (as I'm used to using the same button for both, as in Contra: Hard Corps). However, I realize that it's vital to gameplay, since you need to hold Down while jumping in order to jump down a level at times.

Good game, the best in the series. And I also tend to find this version simply more fun to play than it's PC-Engine counterpart. Great music - very close to gaiares sound-wise. It has some very sedate moments (the boat-ride to the tower, anyone?), but these tend to augment the atmosphere rather than detract. I personnally love the long, slow ride up that very tower. And CHAM! With that character, serious Castlevania analogies can be drawn... and that's perfect by me!

PS : Yeah, yeah, that Ice level... You'll get over it finally. And once you mastered it, it won't be that much of a problem. The last boss, on the other hand....

Nice review. It's a shame Valis II and IV weren't released on the Genny. Probably would have been better than Super Valis IV on the SNES.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Never liked Valis at all.
    If I had to choose which one to play, IŽd probably even choose the Hentai-Valis...

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alvatron
    Nice review. It's a shame Valis II and IV weren't released on the Genny. Probably would have been better than Super Valis IV on the SNES.
    An Atari 2600 port would've been better than Super Valis IV on SNES. Fuck that game.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

LOL Yeah, Renovation could have done a good version of Valis IV for the Genesis. If they could have had the multiple characters and most of the levels it would have been so much better than the SNES version.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alvatron
    Syd of Valis or whatever it's called, is Valis 2, 'cept the graphics are Super Deformed. It is the only Valis game I liked.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I'll never understand why people like this series.. If you want a good, exciting game with a female PC, then go play Alisia Dragoon, El Viento or Monster World 4!
    This game isn't too bad though, but there's nothing in it that hasn't been done better in other games..

Thread Information