Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valis III

Wildside Expert

I wanted to like this but the colision detection and jumping meachanics are just horrible. Platforms don't end where they are suposed to the and character randomly falls thorugh. Even with an infinite lives code this game is too glitchy and frustrating for me.
    Last edited by moonwhistle; 02-21-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Hint: Use the slide to get across pits
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonwhistle View Post
    I wanted to like this but the colision detection and jumping meachanics are just horrible. Platforms don't end where they are suposed to the and character randomly falls thorugh. Even with an infinite lives code this game is too glitchy and frustrating for me.
    I've never experienced this. I finished it very quickly the first time I rented it back in the day. Seems to control better and is easier (and shorter) in general than the Turbo/PCE version.

I need to check this game out for sure

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by brainerdrainer View Post
    I need to check this game out for sure
    you really should, this game is one of my top 10 games of all time without any shadow of a doubt, and can't believe I haven't commented on the forums on one of my favourite games of all time until now. Happy new year everyone

Blehh! I didn't like either of the Valis games for the Genesis. They felt like the 80's-90's equivalent of today's lame anime games. All style(if that), and little substance.

Gameplay in Valis is just too slow & clunky to keep my interest.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 01-06-2013 at 10:09 PM.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Blehh! I didn't like either of the Valis games for the Genesis.
    I'll have you know that there are three of them.

Good day to you.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Great game, i played too much this game, great music, great grafics, great presentaion, great fun !!!

Is sad the megadrive we didnt recive the other chapters on mega drive !

Nameless One Silence The Fallen's Avatar

I love the Valis games. I have all of them for the Turbo Duo and was completely obsessed with them back in 2002-2004.

When I bought part three on the Genesis I was surprised because I expected a cheap port. I like some of the redrawn graphics, the added parallax and hearing that awesome music in chip tune form! I also appreciated the toned down difficulty, but I can't help but think it could have been so much more. The port just felt by the books and I really would have like to have seen them go all out.

But for what it is it's a solid port and a very fun game.

I loved this game, whenever I went to my cousin's house on the holidays we would rent it but no matter how many times we tried, we never got past the boss just before the ice stage (I only know there is an ice stage because of emulation).
    I loved the visuals, maybe because they kinda reminded me of Magic Knights of Rayearth an anime that used to play sunday's morning on tv (Animes and tokusatsus are very popular in Brazil since the 80's) but unfortunately have yet to find a cheap copy in the wild.

Edit:I was thinking that a hack to make use of the six button controller to direct select your character could be a nice little improvement.
    Last edited by ReBirFh; 01-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by ReBirFh View Post
    I loved this game, whenever I went to my cousin's house on the holidays we would rent it but no matter how many times we tried, we never got past the boss just before the ice stage (I only know there is an ice stage because of emulation).
    I loved the visuals, maybe because they kinda reminded me of Magic Knights of Rayearth an anime that used to play sunday's morning on tv (Animes and tokusatsus are very popular in Brazil since the 80's) but unfortunately have yet to find a cheap copy in the wild.

Edit:I was thinking that a hack to make use of the six button controller to direct select your character could be a nice little improvement.
    you are thinking of stage 5 aren't you? don't you just love that music as well

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I just played through this game last night, and I can't believe it gets as much appreciation as it does. An 8 out of 10? Opinion aside, no game with enemies that walk through walls at will should ever get an 8 out of 10.

I wanted to get into this, since at first glance it looks exactly like the sort of title that defined the Genesis, but it mostly comes off as lazily programmed and poorly designed.

The ice level is an absolute fucking cesspool with nothing even remotely redeeming about it. Even after overcoming the slip-sliding and the "hold up to not jump shitty" technique, the game throws enemies at you while you're suspended in mid-air above a bottomless pit that you often have no way of defending against. That's beyond being "difficult"; it's bad programming. You can't even rely on memorizing enemy placement because sometimes an enemy will appear and sometimes it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwhistle View Post
    Pretty much this. You even get infinite continues by default, which to me basically says that the developers knew what a mess this was when they released it.

The non-ice levels are passable or "okay" at best, but the three-character setup is actually very interesting and has a lot of potential. Too bad there's basically no point to playing as all three characters since the fairy already jumps the highest, does the most damage and has the best reach by default. I'd compare their magic skills, but when each death starts you over at 0 MP, what's the point? I barely even used the magic when I could, and when I wanted to use it (the boss fights), it usually didn't do shit.

I'd give this like a 4 overall, or maybe a 5 if I wanted to be nice. It could've been a good game with some extra effort and better level design.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I just played through this game last night, and I can't believe it gets as much appreciation as it does. An 8 out of 10? Opinion aside, no game with enemies that walk through walls at will should ever get an 8 out of 10.

I wanted to get into this, since at first glance it looks exactly like the sort of title that defined the Genesis, but it mostly comes off as lazily programmed and poorly designed.

The ice level is an absolute fucking cesspool with nothing even remotely redeeming about it. Even after overcoming the slip-sliding and the "hold up to not jump shitty" technique, the game throws enemies at you while you're suspended in mid-air above a bottomless pit that you often have no way of defending against. That's beyond being "difficult"; it's bad programming. You can't even rely on memorizing enemy placement because sometimes an enemy will appear and sometimes it won't.

Pretty much this. You even get infinite continues by default, which to me basically says that the developers knew what a mess this was when they released it.

The non-ice levels are passable or "okay" at best, but the three-character setup is actually very interesting and has a lot of potential. Too bad there's basically no point to playing as all three characters since the fairy already jumps the highest, does the most damage and has the best reach by default. I'd compare their magic skills, but when each death starts you over at 0 MP, what's the point? I barely even used the magic when I could, and when I wanted to use it (the boss fights), it usually didn't do shit.

I'd give this like a 4 overall, or maybe a 5 if I wanted to be nice. It could've been a good game with some extra effort and better level design.
    hate to tell you this but valis III and this company as a whle made games that defined this system, pity too few of this company's games were officially released in britain

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Some of the most celebrated games of all time have enemies crossing through walls and phtsical barriers. The pursuit of realism is one of the worst things to happen to video games.

The ice level is an absolute fucking cesspool with nothing even remotely redeeming about it. Even after overcoming the slip-sliding and the "hold up to not jump shitty" technique, the game throws enemies at you while you're suspended in mid-air above a bottomless pit that you often have no way of defending against. That's beyond being "difficult"; it's bad programminrg. You can't even rely on memorizing enemy placement because sometimes an enemy will appear and sometimes it won't.
    Again, I agree that this stuff can suck, but so many classics, esoecially on Nintendo platforms, get a pass for it.

Most games have unlimited continues and pretty much all coin-ops back then did.

The original PC Engine version does have more uses for different characters, but the Genesis version did get a lot of polish and some unique content. It's not for everyone, but judged overall and not simply on gameplay alone, it a lot of fun for people who appreciate more than just so-called "perfect" games.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Some of the most celebrated games of all time have enemies crossing through walls and phtsical barriers. The pursuit of realism is one of the worst things to happen to video games.

Again, I agree that this stuff can suck, but so many classics, esoecially on Nintendo platforms, get a pass for it.

Most games have unlimited continues and pretty much all coin-ops back then did.

The original PC Engine version does have more uses for different characters, but the Genesis version did get a lot of polish and some unique content. It's not for everyone, but judged overall and not simply on gameplay alone, it a lot of fun for people who appreciate more than just so-called "perfect" games.
    and this game certainly gets a pass from me

Thread Information