Quantcast

Thread: Budokan: The Martial Spirit

Ninja Budokan: The Martial Spirit

When people think of 16-bit fighting games, most tend to consider few titles beyond Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat. There was surely a ton of mediocre clones out there, and it's understandable to only remember the best of the bunch. However, Budokan: The Martial Spirit predates all the fighters on the Genesis, as it originally appeared on home computers in 1989. The Genesis port was almost entirely intact, but how does it fare in gameplay? Read our full review for the details.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-18-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Awesome review.

I picked this game up once when I thought I might have stumbled on an unknown classic. I guess I did. lol But I haven't poured the time into the game to really get a handle on it. So far it's basically a cool curiosity item for me: Random spiritual guidance from the 16-bit Sensei. I can barely win any matches in this game, but I do kinda like taking the train ride past Mt. Fuji. LOL
    Last edited by Ecco; 10-14-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I bought this game cheap (and cart only) because its a pre-TMSS game, and I needed one to test on later systems.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Death Adder's minion Sickboy_uk's Avatar

I used to own this game when i was kid, i didnt quite understand it and it was very tough. But there is something about this game that i really like, cant quite place it.

Master of Shinobi

I've got mixed feelings about this game. The core concept of training in a variety of martials arts before taking part in a tournament is a good one, but the gameplay itself is a little ropey. The ki system in particular, while being a good idea, is flawed in execution. I like the game though, and I'd like to see a remake with improved gameplay, more story, and some RPG elements thrown in. Probably never going to happen though.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I understand why alot of people haven't taken the time to play this title. The graphics are relatively simplistic and the color palette has alot of yellow bland tones. But honestly, it's quite a good game when you take the time to learn the various moves that each martial arts offers. It should be mentioned that the developers were trying to reflect realistic martial arts and looking at the game through that lense you can cannot compare this game to either the Street Fighter 2 franchise nor the Mortal Kombat franchise either. When you first start off, you face relatively mundane opponents. But as you progress, your opponents display a bit more flare. Some opponents possess skills from a different martial arts than those that you have learned in the dojo. They also tend tend to be stronger and react more quickly. Don't cheat by watching Youtube videos that show how to beat this game! Half the fun is figuring out how to defeat each new opponent. After beating the game, i would give this game a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. If you are faced with a lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do, I will suggest you try this title out for yourself. Especially if you are looking for a bit of a challenge!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Budokan is great. I loved the detail in the background with the birds flitting around in the garden. It's a gorgeous game for its time. It felt stiff then and stiffer now post SFII, but I still appreciate the more realistic style of play.

This game is not for everybody and that includes myself, but that doesn't mean I find it bad. At all. I feel that this was, at the time, one of the most realistic depictions of Japanese martial arts on any media, and the controls reflect the complexities of these sports (BTW, I practiced Kyokushin for two years as a mere hobby: a sucker that never learned to do decent katas or land a nice mawashi geri uke). Of course, we can't consider the use of ki as realistic, but I think you get the picture.

Again, not my cup of tea: I love fighting games, but only arcade-oriented ones. However, if you like games that challenge your brain along with your fingers, Budokan is ideal and, morover, it technically looks as pretty as a picture.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

I really liked this game despite never finishing it. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the Kendo. Maybe it was my imagination, but the sword mechanics seemed slower than the others for anything other than the basic thrust. Many matches were lost while it seemed like my guy's bamboo stick was stuck hovering over his head.

Master of Shinobi

I played this to death on PC because I hadn't a Mega Drive until 92, but had a lot of fun with the Bo. Lots of moves and "specials" for the time.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Thread Information