Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney's Ariel the Little Mermaid

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Nunzio I haven't played the GG or SMS versions yet, I think I own a copy for the GG, I have to check and maybe do a side by side on it. Are you saying I screwed this review up? I don't think I did and the Jimmy White review will be a little while yet. I am trying to learn the rules of Snooker a little better and give that game a lot of play time so I can be as honest and accurate as I can. I want that review to turn out right too!
    No I thought the review was fine, but I am curious as to how the SMS version plays.

I am an absolute Snooker nut and Jimmy White is one of my favourite Mega Drive games. If you have any confusions let me know and I can probably sort you out! It's a pretty complicated game
    S A V E R U S T Y

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Does that say much? I don't know, since I never played the NES game. It's one of the few NES Disney titles I never played. Is it the same type of game?
    It might be similar, but it's a Capcom game.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

would a small child find this game entertaining? ive got a 3 year old girl who plays genesis with me and her brother who is ape shit for the little mermaid, ive been whondering about some girly games to get her.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    would a small child find this game entertaining? ive got a 3 year old girl who plays genesis with me and her brother who is ape shit for the little mermaid, ive been whondering about some girly games to get her.
    If you want to get some kiddie/girly games, I'd go with:

Crystal Pony Tales
    Richard Scarry's Busytown
    Magic School Bus
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Lol. This game cracks me up. Hehe. It's like a bad version of Ecco the Dolphin. It really did not do the movie justice. Just thinking about how it took them like two years to make that storm scene on the film, it seems all the efforts were spent on the movie and none on the game. Hehe, and the reason it cracks me up is because my girlfriend loves this game. It's probably because it's an easy title too.

Buy a NES and Little Mermaid by Capcom. That's a MUCH better game.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

I wouldn't buy this game for a small child. instead I'd get them one or more of these good Disney games: Mickey Mania, The Great Circus Mystery, Quackshot, Castle of illusion, World of illusion, Aladdin, The Lion King.

Sports Talker

Shinobimusashi, of the excellent selection presented directly above by Jesse813, I'd say that World of Illusion's the bull's-eye for a three year old girl with a brother who loves The Little Mermaid. It features remarkable representations of Donald and Mickey, fun but slow-paced action, and mouthwatering visuals. What's more, it features intelligent two-player cooperative gameplay that's sure to please. Purchase with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
    No I thought the review was fine, but I am curious as to how the SMS version plays.

I am an absolute Snooker nut and Jimmy White is one of my favourite Mega Drive games. If you have any confusions let me know and I can probably sort you out! It's a pretty complicated game
    sorry but there s no sms version

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamer. View Post
    Shinobimusashi, of the excellent selection presented directly above by Jesse813, I'd say that World of Illusion's the bull's-eye for a three year old girl with a brother who loves The Little Mermaid. It features remarkable representations of Donald and Mickey, fun but slow-paced action, and mouthwatering visuals. What's more, it features intelligent two-player cooperative gameplay that's sure to please. Purchase with confidence.
    Plus there's a sea level with some fish characters very similar to those in Little Mermaid if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by acdc View Post
    sorry but there s no sms version
    There is.

It's a straight port of the Game Gear game, which is actually a stripped-down conversion of the Mega Drive game.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Mystery solved.
    S A V E R U S T Y

Default My thoughts on the game

I did do a review on it not too long ago for YouTube.

I totally agree with the review it was a horrible game.

I was three years old when I first got it and at the time I enjoyied it.

Now I feel embarrassed it was my first game.

Why do I have that feeling because I'm sure everyone had played a good game as their first.

Another reason for that would be it's failed pretty bad though it was BlueSky Software's first Sega Genesis title.

I will say this that the graphics are okay and the music is kinda close to the movie.

In confusion I would rather play Vectorman games instead since those are really good games.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

This game isn't NEARLY as bad as the review makes it out to be. I suspect a lot of the people who are trashing it haven't read the manual, which explains a couple things that seem to get overlooked by the reviewer, especially the way the death system works.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not a great game. Besides the flaws that I noted in my comment to the review, the fact that I've played it only three times and beaten it three times (once for each difficulty level) tells you something right there. But then again, that's also true of World of Illusion!

I actually enjoyed the 45 minutes or so I spent on each playthrough, which is more than I can say for a lot of other games that get lavish praise. In a way, it's a lot more like a typical NES game than a Genesis game, especially how the collision detection/damage calculation is handled. Once you get in that mindset, it's easier to enjoy it.

I have fond memories of this piece of crap. This was the first game I finished in one sitting the very first time I played it. I was 9 years old, and rented it on a Saturday morning. By the evening hours, I had finished it, controlling King Triton.

The other game that holds this honor was BlueSky's Ren & Stimpy. I got it for Xmas, finished it on about two hours after getting it. But at least, R&S has some replay value for its closeness to John K. and Bob Camp's spirits and ideas. The Little Mermaid... Well, no, it doesn't keep the movie's spirit.

Thread Information