Quantcast

Thread: Newman/Haas IndyCar featuring Nigel Mansell

Ninja Newman/Haas IndyCar featuring Nigel Mansell

Simulation racing has its fans, but it doesn't seem like too much fun to watch for someone who's not really into the sport. You can imagine then, how a game based on IndyCar racing might fare with all but the most diehard fans. Sega's Super Monaco GP series was an excellent attempt at making the genre more mainstream, and Acclaim shot back with its take on the IndyCar scene with Newman-Haas IndyCar Racing. Did it land in the winner's circle, or was it disqualified? Read our full review and find out!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-13-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Sounds like the Genesis's only good "simulation" racer is Virtua Racing, still

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

I have the Super Nintendo version of one of the Nigel Mansell games (yes, he had two), I think it's the first one though, Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing. Both were on both SNES and Genesis, but going by that game and this review, it's obvious that both are quite mediocre -- World Championship Racing's no more interesting than this one sounds, sadly.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Erm... hate to nitpick, but why is a review of a 1994 IndyCar game accompanied by a picture of a 2009 Formula 1 car? Kinda different worlds there...

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Link in the first post is broken; correct one here:

http://www.sega-16.com/2010/03/newma...nigel-mansell/

At the risk of sounding like the newbiest of newbs, how the hell do you take curves with any kind of speed in this game? I've been able to get 2nd place in the first race, but I guess I'm not cut out for this style of racer, since it irritates the hell out of me when I constantly get forced to the edge of the road & have to decelerate like hell to navigate sharp bends, while the CPU waltzes through at top speed.
    Last edited by goldenband; 12-06-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Hero of Algol

I have no experience with this game, so I can't tell you if the gameplay is just awful or if you're missing something.
    I let my Everdrive MD with a friend for a few days so I don't have means to test if on real hardware right now. But I'll come back to it when I have an answer to give you.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-06-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Awesome, thanks. It could just be me and my dislike/lack of skill for this kind of racer, but it would surprise me if there's no way to take the curves without letting the CPU zoom ahead.

Hero of Algol

I played it today and I think it's pretty beatable; at least in Arcade mode (I haven't tried to grasp the simulation one yet because I know it's tedious with all those pit stops...).
    I barely practiced or tried to qualify in most of the tracks but I managed to secure the first spot in the championship after 6 races. After that, things got a bit more complicated due to the design of the tracks which required more practice and I wasn't willing to do it properly.
    And this was my first seat.

It's not an easy game by any means though. The overtaking is complicated and one mistake can easily cost you the race. There's some sort of "delay" in how your car handles but I actually like that since in real life you do have to plan ahead all your movements at high speed.

The handling when cornering is a bit tricky, the curves have some sort of threshold speed which you really shouldn't disrespect; once you break that limit your car will skid towards the outside of the track really, really fast.

Given the previous statement, the entry point, tangent and re-acceleration points of the curves are also very important in order to achieve good lap times.

The CPU cars seem to struggle on the higher speed segments of the track and go better at lower speed ones, but I didn't feel like they were THAT much superior to me when contouring the curves.

All races seemed winnable, but some might be only realistically winnable if starting from the first four positions or something like that due to my best lap times being only on par with the leading ones.

It's not a bad game neither a really good one. The audio part is awful, with all sound effects being shared between this and Top Gear 2 on the Mega Drive; which is a bad choice for a partnership.
    And there's permanent slowdown and heavier instances of it in certain segments of the tracks. I remember it played much better when running at my 12 MHz overclocked MD.

I'll try to beat it during the weekend and post pictures in your thread. It's a relatively quick job I think.

Hey, that's fantastic -- I really appreciate it. (And rep given!)

I think it's just a genre that doesn't come naturally to me, for whatever reason, so I'm grateful for your expertise in analyzing this game -- and beating it!

Thread Information