Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: snk now repairs neo geos systems

Chuckles at funny iPhone comment.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

This is the kind of retro-friendly love I like to see in conglomerates. That's 100 points for awesomeness SNK!!!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Death of motor driver chip is usual cause for DC drives to malfunction... From 5 drives I got here, 3 got a hole in the BAxxxx chip. I've added 4.7ohm resistors in series with the motors so in case of motor failure the chip will not die (that soon)...
    Could you take some pics so I can see what you mean by having a "hole" in it? Do you mean the thing actually fried and burned a hole in itself? Is it from the motor binding up and then causing the amperage to spike? If so, what does it look like caused the motor to bind in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Robivy64 View Post
    I don't claim to be an engineer. You aren't an electrical engineer.
    Nope, I'm a mechanical one, and a CD/DVD drive is...

*jeopardy music*

I'll need your answer now

"What is a mechanically driven binary optical reader?"

DING DING DING!

At least 90% of video game related repairs pertain more to mechanical problems than electrical ones. Most problems are related to cooling, electrical connections (physical connection), and interference with moving parts. Mods, on the other hand, aside from the solder joint mechanics, usually are something for an EE as it comes down to choosing resistors, capacitors, etc. to successfully perform the mod.

I have been repairing and modifying game consoles for over 10 years, featured in O'Reilly's "Gaming Hacks" book by Simon Carless (proof).

You should give it a read sometime.
    As mentioned above, mechanical issues=/=electrical mods. I never understood why programmers and overclockers suddenly claim to be experts on heat transfer and dynamics. It's two totally different worlds, you stay in yours, I'll stay in mine.

Your lose credibility with posts like this:

That was a joke based on a meme. I'll remember you take everything with 100% seriousness next time. Also, I was trying to throw you a bone so you could feel special for a minute, I'll make sure to not do that again.

It's one thing to not know, but to not know and PRETEND you do, that is an entirely different enchilada. You admitted yourself that you regurgitate what information you find with quick google searches.
    I don't pretend to know shit, I KNOW SHIT. When the fuck did I say I regurgitate what I find on Google? Now, if I honestly didn't know something, I would admit I just found something relevant on Google. I mean, if someone won't take my word for it, what else am I supposed to do? Find the phone number to the engineer at Sega/Nintendo/Microsoft and have them repeat what I said? When you find these numbers, let me know.

I don't claim to know everything, such as I couldn't tell you what to do to make an S-Video mod or a region switch. Mostly it's because I think both mods are a waste of time, and I could certainly learn about them if I wanted to, but I'm most concerned with proper maintenance and operation of systems and repairs when needed. I also don't know much about arcade cabinets (connections, standards, companies, etc.) since I never had any reason to learn it considering arcades were irrelevant by the time I had the money to play them and I live in Louisiana where 90% of cabinets are Big Buck Hunter.

I enjoy helping people learn who WANT to learn.
    So do I.

There is nothing wrong with NOT knowing.
    Tell that to Thunderforce:

A moment of silence for the passing of an X'Eye...

I'd like to say a few words if I may:
    *ahem*

Oh X'Eye, we barely knew you. Your power supply had fallen victim to incompetence, but you remained untouched and operational, until that fateful day, when your murderer purchased you for a mere $20.

It seemed you might be safe, when your new owner tried to gouge fellow collectors by turning a profit. If the price had been reasonable, you might still be with us today.

Fate had different plans for you. You were once a shining jewel, perhaps under a Christmas tree, your LEDs glowing brightly.

Your new owner talked of using hot iron to put holes in you, but this was only the beginning.

Now, you have been reduced to nothing but a memory, your voltage regulators forever cold. There are many questions we can all ask, such as "Why didn't he practice on something more common?", or "Why does he even own a soldering iron?", but alas, these questions won't bring you back.

Now, we remember you, X'Eye, for you are a magnificent gaming machine. Your life was prematurely cut to an end, but your memory will live on, just without the five volts.

Sincerely,

Rob
    I mean, I was sort of abrasive too because I always get annoyed when people ruin systems by going after mods when they don't know WTF they're doing, but I wasn't that big of a dick about it.

Use google to find out what my degree is in. You seem to be good at it.
    I love how you insist you were born knowing everything you know. For the record, I know most of what I know from my engineering curriculum doing stuff like this:

Nevertheless, there's nothing wrong with learning from searching online provided you get your info from reliable sources that know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, most people don't know what a reliable source is and that's why so many people think Dreamcasts wear out faster from using CD-Rs and that CD-Rs can't possibly last 10 years when I still have a CD I burned in 2000 with both regular and fine sharpie writing (started with the fat marker and switched to fine b/c I was running out of room) that reads every track perfectly.

Shit, I just did a RROD repair not 30 minutes ago, wtf do I need to do before I meet the Robivy criteria for knowing wtf I'm talking about? Do I need a letter from the president? Oh wait, he uses Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Sure! I love taking apart fully functional consoles to fix them for no reason!
    I didn't say it wasn't having issues, but that doesn't mean you didn't add to the list. I can't say, I wasn't there, but it wouldn't be the first time someone boned a system thinkin they were hot shit. Eventually, I had to stop taking previously opened systems at Play N Trade because whoever tried to fix it always managed to completely wreck vital parts (like shoving a screwdriver right through a PCB or IC).

Real Answer: I never abuse my electronics.
    Maybe you didn't, but did you buy it new? If not, there's no telling what the previous owner did. My used Model 2 Genesis never worked with Knuckles Chaotix even though I tried it with 2 different 32Xs. It wasn't anything I did, it was a pre-existing condition (or perhaps a fundamental incompatibility, not sure how late the build was).

Go skeet on your iPhone or something. It's all you're good at.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    This is the kind of retro-friendly love I like to see in conglomerates. That's 100 points for awesomeness SNK!!!
    It doesn't surprise me, really. Most arcade manufacturers will service their own machines for many years after they are no longer being manufacturered, and since the AES is basically a factory consolized MVS, it makes sense.

Plus, they haven't said how much this crap will cost. I remember looking on the Pioneer website for a replacement laser for my CLD V2800 and the laser assembly sans installation or anything else was $130 (maybe not even with shipping). I fixed it with a paperclip and superglue and bought another CLD V2800 for like $20 as a backup.

video:

^and the winner is: 17days, for the longest post ever on sega-16. Lol.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    ^and the winner is: 17days, for the longest post ever on sega-16. Lol.
    guess you didn't see my post in the iPhone games thread

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    Could you take some pics so I can see what you mean by having a "hole" in it? Do you mean the thing actually fried and burned a hole in itself? Is it from the motor binding up and then causing the amperage to spike? If so, what does it look like caused the motor to bind in the first place?
    I had a HDD with a chip that had a hole burned in it. It looks like someone poured acid on the chip.

Nope, I'm a mechanical one, and a CD/DVD drive is...

*jeopardy music*

I'll need your answer now

"What is a mechanically driven binary optical reader?"

DING DING DING!

At least 90% of video game related repairs pertain more to mechanical problems than electrical ones. Most problems are related to cooling, electrical connections (physical connection), and interference with moving parts. Mods, on the other hand, aside from the solder joint mechanics, usually are something for an EE as it comes down to choosing resistors, capacitors, etc. to successfully perform the mod.

What is a Mechanical Engineer doing in the repair field of work?
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-24-2010 at 12:00 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Talking

guess you didn't see my post in the iPhone games thread
    lmao.

Banned by Administrators

Oh Sega-16.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I had a HDD with a chip that had a hole burned in it. It looks like someone poured acid on the chip.
    you sure that wasn't just leaked corrosive fluid from a capacitor or battery?

I want to see a pic of the exact chip TmEE is talking about with the hole rather than just a general idea of what it might look like. From what little information he provided, it sounds like something locked the spindle causing the current to spike (as DC motors do when restricted from moving) and then caused the current to spike in the chip and fried it. This might be what causes the fuse to blow in Sega CDs (though I honestly have no idea where the fuse actually falls in the actual circuit layout on the Sega CD, so I would need clarification before making that claim). If either case is true, it's one more vote for the dirt=death claim I made.

What is a mechanical Engineer doing in the repair field of work?
    gotta do somethin' while you're in college.

Besides, engineers always have to repair and revise flawed designs. They may not be out there turning a wrench, but troubleshooting skills are a must to be a good engineer. I continue to do console repairs mostly as favors and in the interest of testing my skills and preserving as much hardware as I can. There is alot to be learned for future engineering projects by seeing what others did wrong.

My main (engineering) job is mostly related to sub-sea robotics/drill rigs/well abandonment saws and cutters/etc. for oil production, but that will soon change to staff engineer for an industrial design firm once I move to NYC in 3 months.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metal_Sonic View Post
    Oh Sega-16.
    Where the hell do you keep getting these gifs?

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

I didn't say it wasn't having issues, but that doesn't mean you didn't add to the list. I can't say, I wasn't there, but it wouldn't be the first time someone boned a system thinkin they were hot shit. Eventually, I had to stop taking previously opened systems at Play N Trade because whoever tried to fix it always managed to completely wreck vital parts (like shoving a screwdriver right through a PCB or IC).

You act as if anybody with a screwdriver who so much as farts in the same room as a console is abusing it & knows nothing about anything.

You need therapy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by 17memesolderthandirt
    Maybe you didn't, but did you buy it new? If not, there's no telling what the previous owner did. My used Model 2 Genesis never worked with Knuckles Chaotix even though I tried it with 2 different 32Xs. It wasn't anything I did, it was a pre-existing condition (or perhaps a fundamental incompatibility, not sure how late the build was).
    I didn't 'fix' anything. It was one of my new ones back when they were 50 bucks at retail. Irrelevant observations are irrelevant.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

you sure that wasn't just leaked corrosive fluid from a capacitor or battery?
    No it wasn't. If a capacitor had failed, the drive wouldn't have functioned long enough for it's fluid to eat through the silicon.

I happen to have a degree in Electronics Technologies btw.

I want to see a pic of the exact chip TmEE is talking about with the hole rather than just a general idea of what it might look like. From what little information he provided, it sounds like something locked the spindle causing the current to spike (as DC motors do when restricted from moving) and then caused the current to spike in the chip and fried it. This might be what causes the fuse to blow in Sega CDs (though I honestly have no idea where the fuse actually falls in the actual circuit layout on the Sega CD, so I would need clarification before making that claim). If either case is true, it's one more vote for the dirt=death claim I made.
    It could be a number of factors. It could be the voltage coming into the device itself, being the voltage regulator of the board for the CD drive.

Besides, engineers always have to repair and revise flawed designs. They may not be out there turning a wrench, but troubleshooting skills are a must to be a good engineer. I continue to do console repairs mostly as favors and in the interest of testing my skills and preserving as much hardware as I can. There is alot to be learned for future engineering projects by seeing what others did wrong.
    The engineers design and in some cases test what they have designed, but in most cases it's up to the technicians to evaluate and give feedback to the engineer about changes that need to be made.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-24-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Where the hell do you keep getting these gifs?
    You 'mirin my gifs?

Banned by Administrators

The engineers design and in some cases test what they have designed, but in most cases it's up to the technicians to evaluate and give feedback to the engineer about changes that need to be made.

"Did he really just say that? surely he didn't just say that! there's no way he just said that!"

It's up to the technicians to say "consumers have amazed us yet again with their incompetence in use, can you fix this?"

then the engineers say "for fuck's sake, what is wrong with this planet? fine, I'll fix it"

I've heard some bold statements in my time, but don't even pretend a technician's job is to do anything but exactly what an engineer tells them to.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I get the feeling 17 is saying this after fixing about 800 Xbox 360s.

Thread Information