Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA Jam Tournament Edition

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Zero wasn't that bad.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Iguana also did the best football game on the system - NFL Quarterback Club '96. Now there's a game that makes owning a Madden installment about as vital as a hand warmer in the Sahara.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quarterback Club?? Really? I've never really paid attention to (American) football videogames, but I was under the impression that the Quarterback Club series was mostly disliked.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I remember it being really hated, esp. on the Dreamcast. Hmm...
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Well, who in their right mind would like NFL QBC on Dreamcast when it has the 2K games?
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

Oh god no, the QBC games on the Dreamcast were complete train wrecks. NFL was all you needed.

Master of Shinobi streetsofrage's Avatar

nba jam on gamer gear was badass
    My Consoles: Nes(toaster), Nes (toploader), Snes, Sega Genesis 2x Model 1 (HD and Va7) , Genesis Model 2 ,Sega Cd model 2 (bois ver 2.00) ,Sega Saturn N64, PS1 , Xbox 1(modded running XMBC) , 2x Xbox360(2 jaspers)

My Handhelds: Sega Game Gear , Nintendo Ds, Sega Nomad

Nameless One

Default Cheats

Nice game...used to play the arcade all the time, but I always hated that, cause the guides were at home with the cheat codes....

Nothing like putting in the dunk code and executing a 9-point slam from the opposite baseline. Oh, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
    Nothing like putting in the dunk code and executing a 9-point slam from the opposite baseline. Oh, yeah...
    I've heard of the full-dunk code, but I have no idea how to pull it off. Do you put in the code during gameplay or at the "Tonight's Matchup" screen?

As for this, NBA Jam T.E for Genesis is pretty much the same as NBA Jam on Genesis. Skip this one and go for the much more arcade-like one on Sega Saturn.

Nothing trumps NBA Jam T.E in the arcades though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I've heard of the full-dunk code, but I have no idea how to pull it off. Do you put in the code during gameplay or at the "Tonight's Matchup" screen?
    I had it written down in my old code book from back in the day, but since I don't have that with me at the moment, I gonna guess you enter:
    LEFT, RIGHT, A, B, B, A at the Matchup Screen, according to this internet source (http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/006/006289.html)

A text message sound confirm the code at the tip-off.
    Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-22-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Found this, NBA Jam TE label variation. One has the red caution type look, one is just solid red.

Not yet sure if related to the revisions for the game as mentioned here:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...00-REV-01-etc)

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

As for this, NBA Jam T.E for Genesis is pretty much the same as NBA Jam on Genesis. Skip this one and go for the much more arcade-like one on Sega Saturn.

Nothing trumps NBA Jam T.E in the arcades though.
    That is terrible advice. I bought the Saturn version last year, hoping for something arcade perfect and awesome. It is awful. Graphically, it's nice with large players that scale nicely. The music is good, as are the sound effects and announcer. The gameplay though is completely broken. Whoever programmed the AI was not trying to replicate the original, didn't have access to the source code, or didn't care. It's so stupid, all it does is get right in front of your player's face and steal the ball, or instantly jump the moment you shoot and block your shot. The only way to score is to slam dunk, and even then, the AI player gets right in front of you and scoops it up most of the time before it goes in. You have no room, no matter what you're trying to do. The Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, 32X, GG versions all play worlds better, stick with any of those and don't bother with the Saturn game.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Hero of Algol

I can't say I'm surprised seeing people recommending Saturn versions over other ones when the Saturn's is actually terrible. Virtua Racing is another classic example (also suffers from botched AI).

But to be slightly on topic, here's a post from NeoGaf which goes in the same direction of what zetastrike described:
    I also got the PlayStation version of the game at launch on 9/9/95. I had some fun times with it for a while. It was certainly a great looking and sounding conversion of the arcade game, especially at that time. The presentation is slick, and I actually thought the fire effect looked really good on this version. The problem is that some key aspects of the gameplay are noticeably flawed, which you'll find out about in a moment.

I'm going to toss out a recommendation for the Jaguar version of the game. I wrote this post on AtariAge in 2007 describing the differences between the Jaguar and PlayStation versions. I'll quote the relevant portion here:

Graphics: PlayStation wins by a small margin. The game looks a little more colorful on PlayStation overall, and in particular the "on fire" effect with the flaming basketball looks really nice--perhaps even better than the arcade game. Jaguar version holds up pretty well, and it's very noticeably better looking than the Genesis, SNES, and 32X versions--no mistaking this one for a 16-bit game!

Sound: PlayStation by a fairly decent margin. The sound effects are roughly equal, and the fact that the Jaguar version on a cartridge has almost as many voice clips as the PlayStation (including all of the player names, even!) is remarkable. However, the music on the Jaguar doesn't fare too well, while the PlayStation version has great music.

Control: Equally responsive. It boils down to whatever controller(s) you own and/or prefer to use.

Gameplay: This is where the Jaguar really comes out roaring. The Jaguar version plays fine, just as you would expect. The PlayStation version, on the other hand, has a few flaws (likely caused by being rushed for the system launch) which affect the playability:

1. The difficulty level settings are reversed--the easiest setting is actually the hardest, and the hardest setting is actually the easiest. This is ultimately minor, though, as now that you've read this paragraph you know how to compensate for it. The other flaws, though, aren't quite so easy to compensate.

2. As smashalley mentioned, the computer seems to play noticeably "cheaper" even on the easier settings, with frequent steals and blocks, ratcheted up even compared to the arcade game.

3. Possibly as a result of "cheaper" AI, your computer teammate sometimes hinders your progress in attempting to score. Let me give an example: You leave your opponents in the dust, make a clean break for a three-pointer, then rise to the peak of your jump and let the ball fly without any hope of the opposition swatting it down. Easy money, right? WRONG! There's a fair chance that your own teammate will swiftly dash onto the scene like Superman and intercept the shot, denying you the three points! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? It can get very frustrating at times.

The Jaguar version has none of the above flaws. If you've played the arcade game, then you've essentially played the Jaguar game, except the arcade machine doesn't roar or toss up VLM effects when you power it on.

The PlayStation game can still be fun to play (especially with friends), but if you get it, then expect it to be somewhat more difficult and frustrating due to the altered AI. The Jaguar version, though, is a more balanced and refined game, and as a result is simply more enjoyable. It's the version you'll reach for when you actually want to play the game.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=35

So it looks like both the Saturn and the PS1 versions share the same deeply flawed AI when compared to other ports (what happens to MKII as well).
    AFAIK, High Voltage Software ported it to the Jaguar (a different company from the one responsible for the SAT/PS1 versions) and I've always read great comments about that version.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-04-2016 at 11:37 AM.

32x pls

Thread Information