Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Men

I beat that game but I cheated using save states. Clone Wars is so much better.

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Nicpezer View Post
    I beat that game but I cheated using save states.
    You cheated your way through the end, that's what you mean, I suppose.

Now that I remember.........I used save states too.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

The link doesnt work.

Is this X-Men 1 on the Genesis? If so its a crime to give this game a low score. Its so challenging and innovative for an X-Men title. X-Men 2: Clone wars was better of course but X-men 1 still holds up as a very solid title. It took me almost a decade to figure out that you had to press reset at the end of Mojo's level. Who would have thunk it!
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

This game was one of my favorites when I was younger. I used to beat it over and over. It took a very long time for this game to get boring for me. I used to love the X-men and this game was the first good use of the license. I could never get into the sequel.. I do plan on trying in the near future

This game seems to get a lot of hate from some people these days, but I have to confess I just absolutely love this game. The music just draws me into the atmosphere (particularly the title anthem and second level's second theme) and it's one of those games that you have to die multiple times before you start to learn from your mistakes.

I used to only be able to play this game at my cousins' house in Michigan when I would visit for a week every summer, but I picked it up last year for $5 and I finally beat it last night. Beating Magneto was pretty satisfying, I have to say. It's one of those boss battles, that you try everything and never seem to land a hit, but once you figure out the pattern, you can exploit it to your advantage.

If there is one major gameplay fault, I would say that it's that the characters are so unbalanced. Nightcrawler is just an amazing character to control and his teleportation ability practically makes the whole game into a speed run. Seriously, the game really ought to be called, "Nightcrawler and His Amazing Friends!" Then there is Gambit, who is about as worthless as Raphael and Michaelangelo in TMNT1 for NES.

Wolverine and Cyclops tend to fall somewhere in between, with each character having their own strengths and weaknesses but can be used effectively when Nightcrawler is low on health. The graphics may not be high-res, but the sprites look good and there are far, FAR worse looking and playing games on the system.

I don't care what anybody says, this is a Genesis classic in my book. The reviewer gets it pretty right at 8 of 10.

EDIT: And, dang, that reset trick was ingenious (though cruel)! That level select code is pretty kinky too.
    Last edited by oldmanwinters; 02-23-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Are You OKAY?!?! Road Rasher JackieBogard's Avatar

I'm confused how people think x-men 2 : clone wars is a hard game?? i find part 1 much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBogard View Post
    I'm confused how people think x-men 2 : clone wars is a hard game?? i find part 1 much more difficult.
    I've only played X2: Clone Wars a few times, but I felt like the first level felt a bit too long and monotonous. I think I only made it to the second level before I ran out of lives. Maybe the length and repetitiveness have something to do with that perception?

Also, Nightcrawler does make the original game substantially easier... until he dies, that is. He's not quite the world-beater who can tear through levels in the sequel.

Are You OKAY?!?! Road Rasher JackieBogard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
    I've only played X2: Clone Wars a few times, but I felt like the first level felt a bit too long and monotonous. I think I only made it to the second level before I ran out of lives. Maybe the length and repetitiveness have something to do with that perception?

Also, Nightcrawler does make the original game substantially easier... until he dies, that is. He's not quite the world-beater who can tear through levels in the sequel.
    i use 2-3 chars max.. i use gambit the most. never use nightcrawler,psylock or magneto.

Banned by Administrators

I loved this game and didn't like clone wars for many reasons. I do find it hard as hell though. I can get to magneto with no cheats but still cannot defeat him.

Loved this game when I was younger. As a kid, I always had the tendency to turn the hit the power button on the console rather that resetting if I encounter problems with the game. So for about a couple of weeks, I would scream at the Genesis to stop glitching on me on the infamous Mojo stage where you had to reset the game. Imagine my surprise when I finally decided to reset it and saw the green computer codes scrolling down the screen. Sorry I ever doubted you Genesis.

this was the second Genesis game I ever played on the real hardware. What a let down it was

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Genesis View Post
    I can get to magneto with no cheats but still cannot defeat him.
    Nightcrawler is really the only character I've had success beating him with. His stand-in-place teleport is a great defensive and offensive advantage. Fortunately, there are a few walkthroughs on Youtube that will give you a good pattern for beating the game.
    Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-05-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Road Rasher

I bought this game back when it as new. I remember not liking it at all, at first, but you know how back then when you got a game, you were stuck with it and had to play it since you probably didn't own many others. I eventually learned to like the game and became pretty good at it, but I cringe when I turn it on now. There is a lot of level memorization needed.

Rebuilding since 1948 Nameless One joshvox's Avatar

Really frustrating game. Just got clone wars, it's more enjoyable, but not that much easier. Although I think it may be possible that I just suck

Thread Information