Quantcast

Thread: Paperboy

Default Paperboy

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last 20 years, you've undoubtedly played Paperboy. A little slice of Americana that was put into digital form, it gave youths everywhere free reign to smash people's windows without having to worry about consequences. Thankfully, Tengen gave Genesis owners a port that was very faithful to the original, and we have a full review that shows how they compare.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-15-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

When I was 6 or so I saw a movie called "The Paperboy" and it was about some teenager who murdered a few people throughout the movie, and I thought the Paperboy games was related to the movie.

It wasn't a bad movie at the time, but this thread reminded me of that movie and man it was so cheesy and awful now that I look back. However, I never did like Paperboy for some reason.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David J.
    When I was 6 or so I saw a movie called "The Paperboy" and it was about some teenager who murdered a few people throughout the movie, and I thought the Paperboy games was related to the movie.

It wasn't a bad movie at the time, but this thread reminded me of that movie and man it was so cheesy and awful now that I look back. However, I never did like Paperboy for some reason.
    That was the best post ever.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Liked Paperboy so much back in the day I wrote a song about it for one of my old bands.

My grandmother was always a big fan, too.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

The game always made me wonder what the board meeting was like when the developer pitched it.

Developer: I want to make a game, called Paperboy.
    Publisher: A super hero that uses paper as a weapon?
    Developer: Uh, no, a kid on a bike that delivers news papers to homes.
    Publisher: You mean like the exact same job that kids in our target demographic do so they can buy games in the first place?
    Developer: Yes! Exactly!
    Publisher: Did you take your medication today?

Granted I'm glad the game was made. A timeless classic.

To think, a simple newspaper subscription is the only thing keeping our neighbourhoods from degrading into blackened slums of evil.

Paperboy's a good one.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

I think the premise classic and the execution good enough though ideally it would've got a sequel/spinoff built exclusively round console strengths; multiplayer would've been great. There was a flight stick for the NES very like handlbars but I've never heard it and the game had any special compatibility. On the same head I doubt its release on the Midway disk for PS uses the Negcon considering what other titles failed to exploit the PS's many odd peripherals.

Good review but could we get the garbled quotation marks remedied? This is pasted from the 3rd PP:
    The customers had houses that had signs like “Welcome,? but the non-customers wanted no part of what you were selling, and their houses were covered in signs that said, “Beat it? and “Get Lost,? as well as tombstones that said “RIP PB.?

A very reasonable port and just as fun as the original.

Mmmmm...although the graphics look fine, controls feel really off in this port, and take a lot of getting used to. Personally, I enjoyed this game monumentally more playing it on the PS2's Midway Arcade Treasures. IMO, I think the NES version plays better, and this is the version that I least want to come back to (given the options).

Thread Information