Quantcast

Thread: My 32X works!

Talking My 32X works!

Just thought I'd share this. I recently started searching for local retro game shops, as I wasn't aware any still existed outside of GameStop (which can hardly be considered "retro"). I've actually found quite a few, and am starting to check them out.

On Sunday I went to a new one and found a 32X for $25. It only came with the AC adapter and model 2 spacer and cord, but since my Genesis is a model 2, I figured I'd try it out. The store didn't have any 32X games other than Metal Head, which is not anywhere near the top of my list, so initially all I had to test it with were burned copies of Corpse Killer and Fahrenheit. Those games seemed to work, but I still didn't have any cartridge games to try. I checked a couple other local shops, and they didn't have anything I wanted.

Then, yesterday, I had a job interview on a different side of town, and afterward, I went to check out another shop that was nearby. It wound up being a stand at a flea market rather than an actual shop, but they actually had a decent selection of 32X games. I got Virtua Racing (with a crushed box) and Tempo (cart-only) for $5 each, which I thought was a pretty good deal, especially for Tempo. The contacts on Tempo looked pretty nasty, so I thought I might have to break out the sandpaper.

So I brought them home, and broke out my early 90s multi-system cleaning kit. Amazingly, the rubbing alcohol (or whatever the cleaning solution is) took all the nastiness off the Tempo contacts. So I popped Virtua Racing in the 32X, powered it up, and voila! It worked! Same with Tempo. I'm pretty happy with the system so far. I had low expectations, due to all I've read about it. However, for what it is, the system and these games anyway are pretty great.

I played Virtua Racing on the Genesis back when it was new, so it's not fresh in my mind, but I like the 32X version. I'm not a huge racing game fan, so I guess the simplified arcade style racers appeal to me more than the more elaborate simulations.

As for Tempo, the first time playing I didn't do very well, but after finding and reading the instructions online, I'm rather enjoying it. My only big complaint so far is that Sega should have assigned jump and hover to separate buttons. Still, it seems to be a pretty solid platformer, and I like the whole musical aspect.

I also have Virtua Fighter and Shadow Squadron being whisked to me by the postal service. All in all, I'm quite happy with my 32X purchase so far, even if its addition to my Genesis/Sega CD combo doesn't look very visually appealing.
    My games (and other stuff) for sale: Sega-16, Amazon, eBay
    My systems (in order of acquisition): Apple IIe clone, NES, Game Gear, Windows/DOS PC, Genesis, Sega CD, TI-82, Saturn, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PowerPC Mac, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, Wii, iPhone, Intel Mac, Xbox, 32X, PlayStation 2, Game & Watch: Ball

Wildside Expert Forgotten Worlds's Avatar

Glad you're enjoying Tempo. I'm playing through this as well with the help of some Youtube walk through videos. Playing through the levels is pretty fun, but the horrible hit detection on the boss fights is kinda frustrating at times.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Yeah, Tempo is okay but not great by any means.

Congrats on the 32X purchase at any rate, the vacant 32X club welcomes you greatly To The Next Level.

Oh, I forgot one addition to the story. I originally wanted to get a 32X when it first came out, but my dad suggested I research it more. I read a review on Prodigy (this was pre-World Wide Web for you young whippersnappers), which said that basically the 32X was a stopgap until the Saturn came out. So I saved my money at the time, and eventually bought a Saturn. Then Sega of America screwed me over with the Saturn, and I never bought another Sega system, until this 32X.
    My systems (in order of acquisition): Apple IIe clone, NES, Game Gear, Windows/DOS PC, Genesis, Sega CD, TI-82, Saturn, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PowerPC Mac, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, Wii, iPhone, Intel Mac, Xbox, 32X, PlayStation 2, Game & Watch: Ball

Prodigy what about Compuserve? And u shoulda checked out the import scene on the Saturn side.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Prodigy what about Compuserve? And u shoulda checked out the import scene on the Saturn side.
    We had CompuServe too. Vic Ireland of Working Designs posted on CompuServe. But I read about the 32X on Prodigy.

As for what I should have done, sure, just go back in time and give me a few hundred bucks. At the time of the Saturn's US demise, I had neither the money for nor the inkling of how to import games, not to mention I had moved on to the N64 and PlayStation. If the local stores didn't have the games, then I didn't get them. Heck, I'm a huge Panzer Dragoon fan, but I didn't get Panzer Dragoon Saga until I discovered eBay in the early 2000s.

Sports Talker

Cool story, makes me want to check for retro/flea markets. How did you go about finding some places? yellow pages, Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Dibbley View Post
    Oh, I forgot one addition to the story. I originally wanted to get a 32X when it first came out, but my dad suggested I research it more. I read a review on Prodigy (this was pre-World Wide Web for you young whippersnappers), which said that basically the 32X was a stopgap until the Saturn came out. So I saved my money at the time, and eventually bought a Saturn. Then Sega of America screwed me over with the Saturn, and I never bought another Sega system, until this 32X.
    That was very smart, the 32x idea sadly should have never been release ....it was a cool idea, but most people had zero reason to get one for 150 bucks.

Not really sure how the Sega screwed you over with the Saturn other than being defeated by Sony. I can't really blame them for that except I didn't really like the graceless death of the Saturn...did you mean that?....and pretty much not buying another Sega system means you didn't buy the DC

Thread Information