Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mega Man: The Wily Wars

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I can play it whenever I want in emulation or using the Everdrive, and I still don't want to. I played the first three on the NES and never got the craze. Half of the gameplay is shooting straight left and right, the other half is climbing ladders.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Man you guys know the Genesis wasn't a priority for Capcom back in the the day. There heads were stuck in Nintendo's ass. I have never been a huge fan of Mega Man though but this game has always been a curiosity to me. But I don't believe in spending 100 dollars for a mediocre game.
    try 4 times that amount and your about on the button

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I was thinking of getting a repro cart of this game, but I can't decide if its worth it.

Lazy-ass Capcom wrote this game in C, so I think thats the sole factor for all the slowdown.

Like I could withstand the slowdown in the NES games, but any more than that? will this be like Gradius III?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Capcom outsourced development of Wily Wars to a company called Minakuchi Engineering, which developed most of the Game Boy MM titles as well as portions of Mega Man X3. Think their unfamiliarity with the Genesis hardware might have had a hand in that as well.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

I own a repro copy simply because it's the ONLY Megaman game on the Genesis. It's not bad, but it ain't great either.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Not enough Blue Bomber on Sega?

Capcom didn't jump on board, until the Saturn took off like a rocket in Japan. You can find everything on that console, Mega Man, Ghouls N Ghosts, 1943, Street Fighter.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

After a couple of weeks i finally finished the three Mega Man games and Wily Tower last night. Since i did not grew up with a NES ( nor met anyone who had one ) this was actually the first time that i really played to the end the original Mega Man games and although i can't say that i consider them to be particularly great ( i liked the original Mega Man the better, followed by MM3; MM2 is quite weak IMO ), i certainly had quite some fun with it.
    Wily Tower was pretty cool, with some good level design, albeit too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    Capcom outsourced development of Wily Wars to a company called Minakuchi Engineering, which developed most of the Game Boy MM titles as well as portions of Mega Man X3. Think their unfamiliarity with the Genesis hardware might have had a hand in that as well.
    Damn, the game is riddled with slowdown; when that Yellow Devil boss appeared, i felt like i was playing a SNES game . Honestly though, i don't think that serves as an excuse for that; i mean, the game was released in 1994, i can't accept that these people weren't familiar with the Genesis hardware.

Also, Mega Man does this little side step before starting to run that messed up a lot of my jumps, especially in MM2. The music was pretty decent at least.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I think you'd have to try them on an actual NES to notice the changes from one game to the next, because you really don't get that in this kind of remake compilation.

One example for the SNES is Mario All-Stars. Super Mario Bros. 2 on the Famicom has all sorts of graphical differences from the original that you can't see going from the original to "Lost Levels" in All-Stars, with the same exact remake graphics and everything.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

^ That is a very good point actually. I feel that Mario All-Stars indeed suffers from the same "issue".
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Damn, the game is riddled with slowdown; when that Yellow Devil boss appeared, i felt like i was playing a SNES game .
    This game was developed by stupid monkeys which used mediocre C programming instead of the glorious assembly programming we all deserve.
    That's why this game runs like shit.

Thanks Crapcom for ruining yet another release on the MD!
    Last edited by Barone; 09-20-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This game was developed by stupid monkeys which used mediocre C programming instead of the glorious assembly programming we all deserve.
    Lion King (and probably Aladdin) were programmed mostly in C. I think the problem was just that they were stupid monkeys.

I simply love this game!!! Some musics sounds much BETTER than the original NES versions!
    I got a Pirate Cartridge of this game (Rockman Mega World) 10 years ago and never got the Wily Tower because the lack of any save battery on the cart.

Only problem of this game is the very poor programming that results constants Slow downs!

BONUS:

Back in the time (1994-95), I got it for cheap (18 ) and last time I checked it had an approximate value of 650 . Crazy shit, man. I'm keeping it smothered in cotton wool and hoping the battery does not explode or leak.

About the game itself? Well, while we can say Capcom got a bit lazy and uninnovative, we still have the first three games of the series - plus a brand new one - quite faithfully (but it's not identical to their NES counterparts: there are noticeable gameplay differences and fixes), and nicely (but not spectacularly) adapted to our dear MDs. It's still Mega Man and that warrants hours of fun and frustrations. Easily a top-50 title for me and my humble videogame collection's most prized item.

Meh, I've had a repro of MMWW. I never got into MM nor beat any of the games in the series. I just played MM1 on my repro tonight and it was still difficult and I personally think the controls are awful.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

The first Mega Man is pretty tough, especially Gutsman's stage, with those moving dropout platforms. It's why I would typically start with his stage. Of course, I'm much more familiar with the original 8-bit version. Will have to have a serious go at this one, one of these days.

2 is a breeze the minute you have the Metal Blade.

3 adds the slide for quicker movement, especially during boss battles.

One thing I'll add, discovering the effectiveness of one boss' power against another is part of the fun. You're not just "supposed to know" beforehand.

Thread Information