Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man: The Wily Wars

Default Mega Man: The Wily Wars

You'd think that with the amount of fame Mega Man enjoyed during the 8-bit era, the dude would get his shot on the Genesis once Capcom openly supported the platform. In a sense, he did...just not in America. While PAL and Japanese Mega Drive gamers enjoyed a great compilation of the first three games called Mega Man: The Wily Wars, U.S. fans were left in the cold. Our review offers a glimpse as to what they missed, so check it out!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I'm still scratching my head on why this was never released in the states on cart.

Decent, but not something I'm going to go way out of my way for, nor spend tons of money on, damn fanboys and their classic Megaman.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Now that I've found Alien Soldier, this one's next on my hit list. Then it's on to the shmups.

...expensive, expensive shmups.........!

Nice, objective review.

I have Rockman: Megaworld (the Japanese version) and everything said in the review is true. One thing that wasn't discussed is the EXTREME difficulty that cannot be adjusted in any way. Mega Man 2 is the worst, being stuck on hard mode and even the weakest enemy in the game taking at least 4 hits to completely die. This, added with the game's new slowdown feature makes the Genesis version really much tougher than it should be. Also the box goes out of it's way to mention compatibility with the "6 button fighter pad" but the X, Y, Z, and MODE butons all do the same exact thing: nothing at all. Also when you press a direction on the controller, Megaman makes a really slow step and there is a small lag between when you press and hold a direction to when he actually starts running.

It is a decent game to have in your collection, but it's more of a novelty as the games themselves can't compare to the NES versions.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I never understood what was so great about Mega Man to begin with. I find the ridiculously limited controls to be cumbersome -- he can't even duck for fuck's sake! Everybody can duck except for Mega Man. You're playing a side-scroller, you push down on the d-pad, the character is supposed to duck. Instead, Mega Man does nothing. When I play Mega Man, 50% of the hits I take are because I see something coming at Mega Man's upper body and I instinctively press down, but nothing happens. And why can't I aim my shots? It's supposed to be a cannon on his arm, but he's unable to move it in any direction? All these enemies coming at you from above makes it more glaring.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    I never understood what was so great about Mega Man to begin with. I find the ridiculously limited controls to be cumbersome -- he can't even duck for fuck's sake! Everybody can duck except for Mega Man. You're playing a side-scroller, you push down on the d-pad, the character is supposed to duck. Instead, Mega Man does nothing. When I play Mega Man, 50% of the hits I take are because I see something coming at Mega Man's upper body and I instinctively press down, but nothing happens. And why can't I aim my shots? It's supposed to be a cannon on his arm, but he's unable to move it in any direction? All these enemies coming at you from above makes it more glaring.
    Capcom loved those handicapp'd controls. Ghosts 'N Goblins, Bionic Commando, Mega Man.. nothing else plays like them. I became rather fond of the Mega Man control style once the slide was integrated.. sliding is so much more exciting (and potentially disastrous) than mere ducking. Dodging projectiles becomes extremely stylish once you master the art of sliding.

I never really cared much for the original Mega Man series. I couldn't get enough of Mega Man X for SNES, though. Despite having some of the same control limitations (i.e. no aiming, no ducking), X was a serious bad-ass when you factored in his new capabilities. It was nice starting off with that wall-jumping ability, and - when paired with the boot upgrade - X could really tear through levels like they were nothing.

The original Mega Man games were far too difficult, in my opinion. I never really understood how people could be so drawn to the original games, but I'm definitely thankful that Mega Man stuck around. The X series is great.
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

The only Mega Man game worth playing is Mega Man Power Battle. All the rest, even this one, are pretty poor.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I feel the opposite. Power Battle and Power Fighters are both really lousy in my opinion.

I love Megaman games. I don't really know what it is, the soundtrack, the bosses? Megaman became popular because at the time it offered things that no other games offered. Looking back at them now they're very simplistic games. Another reason Megaman has remained popular is because of the high difficulty level, and as I've said before I'm fond of difficult titles.

i hate the fact that they added a small step move. Sometimeswhen u really want the bugger to run, its like he stutters for a split second before taking off.
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

HOORAY FOR MEGA MAN!

I love more or less anything that says Mega Man on it. I'm a sucker.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel
    Capcom loved those handicapp'd controls. Ghosts 'N Goblins, Bionic Commando, Mega Man.. nothing else plays like them.
    GNG pissed me off for the same reason. Bionic Commando wasn't so bad though; it lacks a jump button, but you can swing around pretty effectively.

Eventually, they broke that habit. Games like Gargoyle's Quest and The Stealth Affair had fine controls. But the Mega Man series stubbornly retained its lameness long after these had passed.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I wish they'd let me shoot diagonally.

Usually there are boss weapons that let you shoot diagonally, like Metal Man or Spark Man. Adding it to the vanilla cannon would kill the novelty of those weapons, and remove some strategical aspects of the game.

Sliding works like an improvised crouch move.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Metal man???????????,im curious Metalllllll metallll as for me the metallll metallica dude,neeh ill bet not,i bet ist more like bleepy man theme.I dont konw what so special about all the megamans i love one and that X but the rest just bores me after a minute,never seen such milked franchise as that.like mario started it and megaman milked it even more.The hell with megaman and the willy wars is just rare but i can understand why i saled it it looks like crap plays okay,sounds like crap almost the smae as nes only in a horrifying comilation.

Thread Information