Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Jam T.E.: 32X or Saturn?

Default NBA Jam T.E.: 32X or Saturn?

I'm thinking about getting NBA Jam Tournament Edition, especially if my Sega CD NBA Jam sells. Which version is better between the 32X and Saturn ports? On the one hand, I'd like to have another worthwhile 32X game. On the other hand, I have a Saturn multitap, but not a Genesis one. (I used to have a Genesis one, but sold it to Funcoland along with my 6 button arcade stick. D'oh!) Anyway, for those of you who have played both versions, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
    My games (and other stuff) for sale: Sega-16, Amazon, eBay
    My systems (in order of acquisition): Apple IIe clone, NES, Game Gear, Windows/DOS PC, Genesis, Sega CD, TI-82, Saturn, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PowerPC Mac, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, Wii, iPhone, Intel Mac, Xbox, 32X, PlayStation 2, Game & Watch: Ball

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

Personally I preferred the 32X version.

I also prefer the Genesis version of NBA Jam the most out of all NBA Jams.
    You can break the glass!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

I own both and the Saturn version is tops IMO.

The Saturn version is the best but it doesn't matter which you get, they are both very good versions.

Too bad that most people had had their fill of NBA Jam by the time the 32X & Saturn versions came out in summer '95. They were overshadowed by other games, especially in the Saturn's case.

I prefer the 32X version, because it's among the few 32X games to take advantage of the hardware. Most of us should've already heard what Steve Snake (of Kega Fusion fame) said about the 32X ports of MKII and Jam T.E, right? He mentioned that, even if they didn't look that enhanced over their Genesis counterparts, they were pushing the 32X hardware to its limits. Jam T.E in particular, with its big sprites which scale in real-time.

The disc-based Jam games have annoying load times between each quarter too. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    The disc-based Jam games have annoying load times between each quarter too. All of them.
    That's a big part of the reason I'm selling my Sega CD copy.
    My games (and other stuff) for sale: Sega-16, Amazon, eBay
    My systems (in order of acquisition): Apple IIe clone, NES, Game Gear, Windows/DOS PC, Genesis, Sega CD, TI-82, Saturn, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, PowerPC Mac, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, Wii, iPhone, Intel Mac, Xbox, 32X, PlayStation 2, Game & Watch: Ball

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

I wish you could be Scorpion and Raiden in the homeport version!!! GGRRRRR!!!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    I wish you could be Scorpion and Raiden in the homeport version!!! GGRRRRR!!!
    And Sub-Zero & Reptile!

And Elvicious and the Kong guy and all those other awesome characters they had to remove because the NBA didn't like it >_<

Saturn version is better IMO, the Saturn version's gameplay is much more faithful to the arcade on one hand, as are the graphics. On the other hand, the music is inferior to the 32x port, and the quarters are drawn out really long, so that it takes 30+ minutes to finish a game in the Saturn version, unless you increase the timer speed in the options. Also one more thing of annoyance is that the buttons are switched from the 32x/Genesis versions in that C is Turbo B is steal and A is shoot compared to A shoot B turbo and C steal. But that can also be changed.

I own both versions, but the T.E version gets more playtime. The arcade version on MAME for me gets the most though, lol, as there still hasn't been an arcade-perfect port. due to wrong colors in the Saturn version (namely statistics and player bodies), different music, and removed/changed players (The most famous of which are the Mortal Kombat characters, which I very much enjoy.)

Really though, I'd go with both since they're both dirt cheap. But if you have to choose one, go with the Saturn, especially if you're more used to the arcade version's gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Hope the NBA JAM Wii game doesn't suck!

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    Hope the NBA JAM Wii game doesn't suck!
    hmmm..... I take it they're redoing it? new engine or just an arcade port of the original game?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    hmmm..... I take it they're redoing it? new engine or just an arcade port of the original game?
    New engine and totally re-designed game, but judging from the trailers, it's looking REALLY faithful and REALLY good.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Wildside Expert Forgotten Worlds's Avatar

I just picked up NBA Jam T.E. for the 32X at my local retro game store. Haven't played it yet though.

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Most arcade-like version of TE I have played is on Jaguar, period. You can easily make out the players' facial features as they move up and down the court. On the Genesis and SNES ports the faces are blurred.
    It is finished!

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Most arcade-like version of TE I have played is on Jaguar, period. You can easily make out the players' facial features as they move up and down the court. On the Genesis and SNES ports the faces are blurred.
    Actually that one looks just liek the 32X version. AS for the faces in the Genesis and SNES well all of the faces look like Eddie Winslow from Family Matters.

Thread Information