Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sensible Soccer: International Edition

The Man Beyond Bionics Wildside Expert InfraMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Can anybody tell me if:

1) This was released in the US
    2) Is it rare/$$ or can I find it cheap

I'm not sure about a Genesis version, but I know a version of Sensible Soccer was released on the Sega CD over here as Championship Soccer '94. It's great fun, although it's actually pretty rare... especially if you're looking for a CIB copy.

Wildside Expert

Thanks for the update. Is that version more recent than the international one?

Thanks for the update. Is that version more recent than the international one?
    I'm not really sure, to be honest. Both games show a copyright date of 1992, 1993, 1994, and both were licensed by Sony... as far as I can tell, they look like essentially the same game, only the CD version has the usual bells and whistles in the form of a rather pointless FMV intro and better music.

Bear in mind that I only own the Sega CD port, and I had to look up the International version on youtube, so there may be subtle gameplay differences that aren't immediately obvious. Someone with more in-depth knowledge of the Sensible series would be better qualified to answer your question than me, really

Wildside Expert

I've only really just checked out this game and love the "ping ball" type soccer it has!

I do plan on picking up a copy down the road and am not worried about minor differences. Only other question is does the CD version has much delay in gameplay?

I've only really just checked out this game and love the "ping ball" type soccer it has!

I do plan on picking up a copy down the road and am not worried about minor differences. Only other question is does the CD version has much delay in gameplay?
    Nope, the CD version plays great. It's easily my favorite sports game on the Sega CD.

Wildside Expert

Sensible soccer might become my favorite 16 bit sports game! And I've never been much of a soccer fan. I like arcade/crazy sports games and this goes nicely with World Cup Soccer (NES), College Slam (or NBA Jam TE), Mutant League Football, and Base Wars (NES). It's good to hear the CD version plays great. I think I'll track that version down eventually.

Thanks for helping out.

Cheese sandwich Wildside Expert Tsar's Avatar

I used to play this back in the day with my buddy. But We preferred to play Eternal champions.
    Check out my gaming blog

Wildside Expert

I never got into 2d fighting games like Street Fighter 2 or Eternal Champions for some reason. Of course, I didn't even own a Sega CD back then but did eventually pickup SF2 CE. Just not my genre. For some odd reason, I really took a liking to Soul Caliber. It was my first 3D fighter. I remember seeing the game's demo, my jaw dropping, and purchasing it shortly after. Just liked the game mechanics more.

Great name for this game. I also recall a Great Golf(SMS?). They shoul have also made a Practical Polo?

Wildside Expert

Not a big fan of the name either but really like the fast pace game play. Honestly, it doesn't feel much like a real soccer game and that's GOOD!

Another good idea, Passable Pool. Or Basically Baseball. Boisterous Boxing. More to come.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    I also recall a Great Golf(SMS?).
    Yup, it's on SMS. The odd thing is that there is a completely different game called Great Golf for SMS/Mark III that was only released in Japan. The US/EU Great Golf was called Masters Golf over there.

This was a great game, Sensible software were experts at putting life & character into just a few pixels.

Strangely enough i found the cartridge version better than the cd version. The better sound of the cd version caused a brief pause when you scored while it loaded in the crowd sample!?

I made a wallpaper recently where you can see just how few pixels went into the footballers..

http://hgutl.com/
    The home of my retro gaming wallpapers

Thread Information