Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Default What's up with Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat

they promise to go back to their roots but always miss their target.

I just saw the two trailers of the next MK, the first one looking like a new movie, the 2nd one the actual video game. What's worst it was parsed in an article that said MK returning to it's 2D roots. The game to me looked just like the recent MK games 3D.

Really how hard is it for Midway/WB/Ed Boon/John Tobias to remake, or revive the classic fighting formula for MK. When I hear 2D MK, I'm wanting to see how it use to be done, digitized sprites, real people acting as the MK fighters, with classic controls from the original trilogy reborn in the new game.

It's been 14 years and still haven't been made right yet.

Same can be said for Sonic the Hedgehog, except it's been 16 years since they had a decent 2D side scrolling game. I hope SEGA utilizes the game delay to prove me wrong. Please prove me wrong.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Neither of these games have even been released yet, so I wouldn't be so presumptuous just yet.

The fact is, maybe you personally wouldn't mind dated sprites and captured actors, but those techniques were employed because they were the best technology which could be used to accurately represent what they were going for at that time. As a game developer, I don't think there would be a whole lot of glory in attempting to emulate what you have done in the past, just for the appeasement of fans. Part of the joy of the industry in my opinion would be the utilization of new technology in order to realize your vision.

Personally, the MK game looks pretty good, and it returns to it's roots in the fact that it is a traditional fighting game, much in the same way Street Fighter IV does.

I think a lot of gamers are pretty unreasonable, and have a tough time looking at these things objectively. The fact is, attempts in the past such as Sonic Advance series to return directly to 2D were not much better off in capturing the original feel than their 3D counterparts are.

There is a difference between going back to your roots, and just completely emulating what has already been done. Both games you mentioned are trying to keep traditional gameplay elements in tact, while still using up to date technology to get the job done. I don't see anything wrong with the direction either of these games are taking right now, personally.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

The MK team has never promised digitized actors and 2D sprites. That would look like ass in modern high-res. The point is just that the gameplay is going to be 2D, which you can see from the trailer as it focuses on ridiculous juggle combos similar to UMK3.

I'm very much looking forward to MK9 and Sonic 4.

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    The MK team has never promised digitized actors and 2D sprites. That would look like ass in modern high-res.
    how would increase resolution make the game look like ass. It would look better than ever before.

You're trying to tell me that we reached the farthest we could go in this "main" direction style of game play. No we haven't.

Plus the talk about keeping with technology, I say a high definition representation of 2D digitized MK fighters which would obvious require immense hardware resources over than the original games required to bring 16:9 High Definition resolution, increased character details, stage detail, animations, and new characters and moves would be something the PS3 and Xbox 360 would adequately be able to afford.

MK9 previews look just like the MK vs DC, and I'm willing to be it plays just like it.

Raging in the Streets

Because 'going back to your roots' is a phrase used exclusively by Jaded Gamer types on the Internet; the type to post that fucking Sonic Cycle image and mean it unironically.

My theory is that, when the marketing types decide to get all Web 2.0 and engage-with-the-community, the 'back to roots' trigger fires off those little neurons that somehow compel the reader to compare pre-alpha, probably-doctored screenshots with their vague memories of playing a game they probably haven't even looked at since. Youtube comments, anyone?

So, in the end, 'going back to roots' ends up being dogwhistle for 'I want this thing just the way I remember it, only NEW and INTERESTING (but not too different).'

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

As much I'd love to see MK return to digitizing their fighters, I just don't see that happen.
    So I'll take what we get, and in this case we finally got 2D gameplay back, thats huge!

after all this lame 3D shuffling around we finally go back to the basics.

And like i said, I enjoyed the digitizing but this is cool for me as well,
    2D gameplay and 3D models/arena's really work well together.

You get a sense of depth that is missing in true flat 2D.

And as long as they copy the camera use of SF4 it will all turn out okay.

And just in case anyone working on MK9 is reading this, quit it with the "epic" sounding voice overs,
    it sounds too cheesy, you should go back to how MK2/3 did it.

also no more OLD ASIAN MAN TALKING IN THE ENDINGS, I don't need to hear that crappy voice.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegenie View Post
    MK9 previews look just like the MK vs DC, and I'm willing to be it plays just like it.
    God I hope you're wrong, I played MK Vs DC for what seems like.. 10 minutes before i turned it off.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Oh shnap! I can't wait to play this one. I hope it picks up. 2D gameplay ftw! Now, let the controller wars begin.

wow I want to play that.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamegenie View Post
    how would increase resolution make the game look like ass. It would look better than ever before.
    Take a look at this and tell me it doesn't look like ass.

A new MK game using digitized HD graphics would look cheesy as hell, although probably not quite as bad as the above game. It's just silly to expect that style to be used today.

18daysolderthansms Outrunner Devon's Avatar

I really loved sonic adventure on the dreamcast i thought it was a revolutionary game.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I hope those fatalities will be uncensored. The old rivalry between Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat will be reborn!

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Take a look at this and tell me it doesn't look like ass.

A new MK game using digitized HD graphics would look cheesy as hell, although probably not quite as bad as the above game. It's just silly to expect that style to be used today.
    no it's even more silly to shoot down reasons to improve a classic solely on some low budget, less developed and unpolished game by which you're comparing to MORTAL KOMBAT.

This is not Bikini Karate Babes, or Kusami Ninja which are cheap imitations like the link you refer to, that even a 14 year old game like UMK3 wipes the floor with in both graphics and game play dept.

A updated version of MK based on it's original style enhanced with high definition resolution would be the best MK to come since UMK3.

In the meantime these 3D fighters will be more misses than hits like the current Sonic games.

Let's Go Away Master of Shinobi kokujin's Avatar

I would love to have a new MK game with full HD digitized sprites.This game looks pretty decent right now, I just hope they don't gimp their game like what Capcom did with SFIV.

Less talk more action!

The Rhythm Rogue Outrunner cj iwakura's Avatar

I think the new MK looks really good; a return to form.

I don't get the hate it's receiving. And the film looks incredible.

Accessing COMP・・Demon Summoning Program Active・・Login Timeout. Access terminated.

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
    For me, it was Tuesday." | The Temple of Raul Julia's Witness

Thread Information