Quantcast

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What's up with Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat

Let's Go Away Master of Shinobi kokujin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post
    I like SF4 though, the focus attack makes a simple game sort of deep.
    How, focus attacks are just restrictive parries.

Less talk more action!

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

Focus attacks are more like heavily buffed parries.

With a focus attack, you can absorb one hit while charging, then either dash back, forward, or let the attack go off (which hopefully leads to a combo, and you can dash out of the attack, so if it's not going to combo, you can dash away anyway)

You can also bait with the focus attack, by charging, making people think you're dedicating to a focus attack, and then dashing away at the last second.

It does add depth, unlike the restrictive, extremely hard to time parry system that I think we've all struggled with, and then realized it was a waste of time to base our game around the parries.

Most of the things I parry in SF3 are the last hit of a blocked super, a wake up trip (most people usually go for grabs though) or a jump attack.
    The most latter being the hardest one to time.

I'm not saying the focus attack actually makes SF4 good, but it adds more depth than the parry, that's for damn sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Focus attacks are more like heavily buffed parries.

With a focus attack, you can absorb one hit while charging, then either dash back, forward, or let the attack go off (which hopefully leads to a combo, and you can dash out of the attack, so if it's not going to combo, you can dash away anyway)

You can also bait with the focus attack, by charging, making people think you're dedicating to a focus attack, and then dashing away at the last second.

It does add depth, unlike the restrictive, extremely hard to time parry system that I think we've all struggled with, and then realized it was a waste of time to base our game around the parries.

Most of the things I parry in SF3 are the last hit of a blocked super, a wake up trip (most people usually go for grabs though) or a jump attack.
    The most latter being the hardest one to time.

I'm not saying the focus attack actually makes SF4 good, but it adds more depth than the parry, that's for damn sure.
    It's supposed to be difficult, getting an advantage on somebody shouldn't be easy.You have to guess what the person will do , just like every other fighting game with parries.If anything focus attacks are restrictive, the fact that can't do them in the air or simply stand still after the attack proves this.The only reason they didn't keep parrying is because people didn't want to step up to bat.I am by no means an expert at 3S, but it doesn't take a pro to realize they made the SFIV more accessible.It was a trade off, they wanted sales and they got it.

Less talk more action!

Quote Originally Posted by adamx View Post
    But yea street fighter is better now for sure, untill this new mk comes out that is...
    LOL right. If anything, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will steal its thunder in no time. Capcom fighting games always have been much better than anything Midway made and that will never change.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Why do these threads always turn into "game A vs game B" ??
    I don't care if Marvel Vs Capcom 3 will steal MK's thunder, I'm just happy that they are going back to the mk2/3 feeling.

And I'll end up playing them all, but as a casual player who doesn't feel the need to learn every ultra combo known in the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Why do these threads always turn into "game A vs game B" ??
    I don't care if Marvel Vs Capcom 3 will steal MK's thunder, I'm just happy that they are going back to the mk2/3 feeling.

And I'll end up playing them all, but as a casual player who doesn't feel the need to learn every ultra combo known in the Universe.
    Someone forgot about MK3's ridiculous dial-a-combos.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    Yes I did, and I'd appreciate it if you never mentioned that crap again!

I'm still giggling about that discussion we had here where that one guy insisted that MK3 invented combo's,
    So i showed him a clip of what real combo's are and he just didn't get it..

Anyhoo I doubt that the MK team will bring that auto combo shit back,
    then again.. these are the same people who lost track of what Mortal Kombat actually was about after only 2 games.

Oh fuck now I'm gonna worry that they'll bring back the fucking auto combo's.

Quote Originally Posted by kokujin View Post
    It's supposed to be difficult, getting an advantage on somebody shouldn't be easy.You have to guess what the person will do , just like every other fighting game with parries.If anything focus attacks are restrictive, the fact that can't do them in the air or simply stand still after the attack proves this.The only reason they didn't keep parrying is because people didn't want to step up to bat.I am by no means an expert at 3S, but it doesn't take a pro to realize they made the SFIV more accessible.It was a trade off, they wanted sales and they got it.
    air parries and being able to parry fireballs with ease is what almost ruined street fighter 3

(that and there's the fact even people like Justin Wong barely parry a thing...)

Koku, I supposed we aren't going to do anything with the GGPO????
    I tried PMing you, but I have received no response.

It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy2k316 View Post
    air parries and being able to parry fireballs with ease is what almost ruined street fighter 3
    It is not easy, you don't simply hold forward and parry everything in the air.It's not like SFA air blocking.The way they balanced this in the alpha games was having ground moves and supers unblockable in the air, their is always a balnce to how easy the action is.Parrying is hard(more or less), and that's why you can parry everything, if you're good enough.People just hate that their fireballs don't have the importance or safety like they did back in SF2.

Less talk more action!

Yeah, parrying fireballs was pretty nice TBH, that and fireballs just sucked in 3s...now about GGPO...?

(that and there's the fact even people like Justin Wong barely parry a thing...)

Koku, I supposed we aren't going to do anything with the GGPO????
    I tried PMing you, but I have received no response.
    I never even noticed, sorry.My screen name is Chatturgha on there.I'll get on when you're ready.
    Last edited by kokujin; 06-21-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Wrong screen name.

Less talk more action!

lol nice edit

It appears I have a problem.
    I'm going to be PMing you, so please help out here.

Systemwars vs Sega-16 Master of Shinobi gamegenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    are you talking about the HP, HP, LP, LK, HK, <- + HK like combos. (That's a Sub-Zero combo btw)

I hear that "dial-a-combo" comment thrown around but I am loss at what was bad about it.
    "Fires of purgatory, coalesce and incinerate my enemies."

Nothing was bad about it IMHO, except that they were hard to remember.

Thread Information