Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega Drive TV commercials by Sega of Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Thanks! And no, it sounds about right. The console itself is one of the mid 1991 to 1993 variants. Plus Sonic 2 was about to be released later that year.

Still, a console bundled with a pack-in game is pretty unusual for Japan, isn't it?
    I suppose, but Sega also released the MD model 2 with Puyo Puyo, Virtua Racer, or Sonic 3 as pack-ins, although the standard release didn't have a pack-in. There was also a Mega-CD release with a Sega Classic Arcade Collection pack-in, and Game Gear releases with Sonic and Tails or Sonic Drift plus a few specials. I guess people might not want to buy a new console that includes a game they don't like since they might feel like they're paying extra for that game, so the default in Japan is to release the console with no game.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I remember a couple of those.

- The Arcade collection is a late pack-in as the CD was produced by Sega of America (you can tell as the game included is Streets of Rage, not Bare Knuckle).

There were no pack-ins prior to the Sonic Plus pack-in as far as I know.

I wonder if other companies bundled games with their consoles, ie. Nintendo or NEC ? It seems to be a very rare thing to do in Japan. I mean Nintendo didn't even bundle Tetris with the GameBoy in Japan.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I remember a couple of those.

- The Arcade collection is a late pack-in as the CD was produced by Sega of America (you can tell as the game included is Streets of Rage, not Bare Knuckle).

There were no pack-ins prior to the Sonic Plus pack-in as far as I know.

I wonder if other companies bundled games with their consoles, ie. Nintendo or NEC ? It seems to be a very rare thing to do in Japan. I mean Nintendo didn't even bundle Tetris with the GameBoy in Japan.
    Here in the UK the first game to be bundled with the Mega Drive was Altered Beast I believe and then after that Sonic 1. Sonic 2 came bundled with the Mega Drive II and I think some later bundled consoles came with one of the Mega Games compilations. Yeah the Sega Arcade Classics Collection came with the Mega CD.

Thread Information