Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much would a complete Sega CD collection REALLY be worth?

Default How much would a complete Sega CD collection REALLY be worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Sega-CD...item5634f9c3d2

I've been watching this Ebay auction for awhile and while I think it's interesting that they're offering a complete Sega CD collection, it's obviously not worth $2500 (especially if the cases are missing). That being said, what would really be a fair price for this set?

PS: No, I do not wish to get this myself; I'm perfectly content with just the top ten or so Sega CD games.

16-bit Lover Nameless One

Pirate Smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Estil View Post

I've been watching this Ebay auction for awhile and while I think it's interesting that they're offering a complete Sega CD collection, it's obviously not worth $2500 (especially if the cases are missing). That being said, what would really be a fair price for this set?

PS: No, I do not wish to get this myself; I'm perfectly content with just the top ten or so Sega CD games.
    Ebay sure is crazy because it has a lot of price ranges I've seen a near complete sega Cd collection listed for about $1,500 dollars and $2,500 is the other extreme end of it. This is my personal opinion I wouldn't spend more than 1,000 don't get me wrong it definitely has its charm but I just don't see myself spending more for it.

Well (complete) you got a couple games worth a tad over $100, a few games worth around $60, about 10-15 in the $25-50 range and the other 120 games are worth about squat (lets put them at $5 for shiggles). That would put this somewhat bloated total at around $1400 - again if they were complete. Sometimes you would add more money to it for the convenience of getting them all at once, but Sega CD games aren't too tough to track down so there really isn't much convenience to add any value.

In conclusion I would say $1400 is the absolute max value for the set complete at face value on a game-by-game basis. But some people would add some personal value to it as well. In my personal bias I would probably want to tack on another $1000 due to my love and adoration of the wonderful machine and the childhood memories it brought me - to part would cost.

In my money-minded opinion this guy's set is crap in value (since it's not complete) and not worth even half that. That's not adding personal value to it either. He is just hoping to find some top-notch dope to pony up the $$$ to line his wallet. Then he'd use that to rinse and repeat.

Soapbox:
    I've seen this auction around for at least a year. And every time I see it I want to punch the guy. And he is just one of so many people. Years back I used to give these people my piece of mind via the "ask a question" feature - until enough of them complained to eBay that I was harassing them. ERG!!!
    Be Attitude For Gains!

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes you can still get brand new Sega CD titles for pretty cheap. I think I've seen Compton's Encyclopedia go for just $8 on Ebay brand new in the original wrapping. Now with the dealer I normally buy from, I don't think he can do them new but can do them with manual/case. He does offer CD cleaning service so if I have him clean the discs I'm buying, that should be pretty much as good as buying new, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Estil View Post
    He does offer CD cleaning service so if I have him clean the discs I'm buying, that should be pretty much as good as buying new, right?
    If you are just wanting them scratch-free to play properly then yes it will amount to the same thing. The only purpose to buy Sega CD or any other no longer manufactured games brand new is as a collectors item which you don't intend to open but rather keep it sealed for value. There is no point in paying a premium for a sealed game older than the current generation if your intent is to open it (unless you can get it less than or equal to its opened price). Even then, some brand new games manage a way out of their holders and still get scuffed up. So if you're just looking for a perfect disk that will play without a hitch you should just get it cleaned up. That also leaves the sealed games around for us collectors to gobble up.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Sports Talker

Default This guy is Crazy?

The collection has no collectors value. A Sega CD that is not complete with a crack free box or mint cardboard box is not collectable. A collection of nothing but CD's has never been nor will it ever be considered a complete collection. No boxes, no instructions, no cases = nothing.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

What a shame. I can already imagine this dude buying every single Sega CD title, breaking open the jewel case, and discarding it alongside the back insert. It probably was something along the lines of habitually breaking-off the hanging tabs from Sega Genesis cases just because you used to do so in the past and want to remain consistent. What a shame, indeed.

I agree with one (1) post man over here:
    Quote Originally Posted by tlh View Post
    The collection has no collectors value. A Sega CD that is not complete with a crack free box or mint cardboard box is not collectable. A collection of nothing but CD's has never been nor will it ever be considered a complete collection. No boxes, no instructions, no cases = nothing.
    Lol. There's always one thread that inspires more than the rest, eh? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tlh View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what I said, only I was a bit more winded.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

for that price, the whole collection had better come with the plastic cases with inserts and instructions and the cardboard boxes with instructions otherwise it's just not worth it. the seller seems to think he has a goldmine.

$2K including shipping, all American releases CIB.
    Reviews: 4 Sega CD: Jeopardy, Compton's, Ninja Warriors, Prize Fighter.

Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good.
    -Soren Kierkegaard

I would not see a point in getting a complete Sega CD collection unless your a hardcore video game collector, you would only be getting about 20 out of 200 decent games.

Wildside Expert

like some of you, i also have been watching this auction for some time. i am totally interested if a) some fool actually buys it or b) the seller ever decides to lower the price.

now that i think about it, the seller has revised the price a few times. i think it was actually closer to 3K at some point. shit, at least have a "make an offer" button.
    Last edited by tempo; 07-14-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defolto View Post
    I would not see a point in getting a complete Sega CD collection unless your a hardcore video game collector, you would only be getting about 20 out of 200 decent games.
    It's actually 20 out of 147 (not counting the Good Deal Games releases)... Which is still a much better percentage than most consoles if you think about it. Especially the shovelware friendly variety.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    It's actually 20 out of 147 (not counting the Good Deal Games releases)... Which is still a much better percentage than most consoles if you think about it. Especially the shovelware friendly variety.
    You sure the complete collection is 147 games? I made a checklist a while back of all the American Sega CD games and I came up with 155 game, not counting combo pack games.

http://xeniczone.com/segaco/cdchecklistUS.txt

Maybe I made a mistake.

Yeah, I agree 2500 sounds like a lot for saying there are no boxes, especially because finding replacement cases isn't that easy. Your talking about 17-18 dollars per game. When most of the games for the Sega CD sell for less then 5 dollars. I know that their are a few like Lunar, Snatcher, and Popful Mail that sell for 50-150 dollars, but I don't think that would make up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    You sure the complete collection is 147 games? I made a checklist a while back of all the American Sega CD games and I came up with 155 game, not counting combo pack games.

http://xeniczone.com/segaco/cdchecklistUS.txt

Maybe I made a mistake.
    Yup, you counted the Good Deal Games releases as well as a couple others 3 Ninjas and Frankenstein that didn't have individual releases.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Thread Information