Quantcast

Thread: Surgical Strike

Sonic Surgical Strike

Full-motion video games are a staple of any Sega CD library. Heck, you seemingly can't own the add-on without having at least one in your library. Back when Sega was betting the farm on the genre, its TruVideo line was producing titles on a regular basis. Some were decent (Wirehead), and some were Surgical Strike. I know you can't believe we found another bad FMV game, but at least try to feign surprise. For us, please? Go ahead and read our full review, and then go play some Lunar or something.

I just got this game in my CDX lot, haha. It was the only complete one, save for the beat-up Sonic CD pack-in.

Looks like I'll be selling this one at the flea market.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Why does the reviewer keep mentioning "TruVideo" ???

Mod 1 Segaphile Wildside Expert St Louie Bee's Avatar

Melf there is no "Discuss this Review" link at the bottom of the review page!

The reviewer made me laugh (especially at the ADD kid at the Play-N-Trade, I know that guy!), however I felt a little disappointed at the lack of detail in the review itself. How were the visuals? Was the music any good? What about the sound effects for all those explosions we read about? And you mean to tell me that after watching 2 intro movies (and presumably reading the manual) that you don't know what the story line is about?

Maybe I am being a little harsh, I know that because it is an FMV title we are supposed to assume that it is worthless and make fun of it, but isn't that what the forums are for? I mean if you are going to trash a game fine trash it, but tell me about the game too! Otherwise why are we continuing to review FMV's?

Does anyone agree with me or am I showing a little too much of my anal retentive side?

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I'm going to be honest here. I had this review about 85% done in December of 2008, and then found it about a month ago and finished it up.

Yes, you're being anal retentive. or should I rephrase that in a more Surgical Strikian fashion: THERE'S NO TIME TO COMMENT ON THE SOUND AND BLAH BLAH!
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Mod 1 Segaphile Wildside Expert St Louie Bee's Avatar

No offense man, it's a good review I just wanted to know a bit more about the game.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I picked up a nice CIB copy of this one recently, and when I went to fire it up, it kept glitching out or freezing during the opening sequence. So, I ordered a disc only copy on ebay for cheap, and tried it only to discover that it did the same thing. What the eff, I thought. Thinking about it, I noticed how each time the game loaded there's a prompt that says if this is the Sega CD version to press A, and if this is the 32x version to insert disc 2. So, it occurred to me to try detaching the 32x and trying the game with just the SCD connected. Lo and behold, it worked. So, I figured I should post this here for the rare chance that anyone else tries to play this game in their power tower at some point.

And is it still in vogue to crap all over FMV games? I have a soft spot for them personally, but then I love a lot of those old 80s and 90s direct-to-video action movies, so I'm right at home with these types of games on SCD and 3DO. I honestly think that Surgical Strike is one of the better FMV outings on the SCD as well. It's a blast-everything-in-sight game along the lines of T2 The Arcade Game, but with so much glorious 90s cheese. Well worth the time and lots of fun if you're ever in the mood for that kind of thing.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I've been reviewing various titles for my youtube channel over the last year and a half, and one thing I've found, is that a lot of FMV games, while yes, they're limited, they're not THAT bad, especially if you're doing RGB out to get the video as good quality as possible. The exception, of course, is crap like the Make My Video line. There's no saving those games.

Thread Information