Quantcast

View Poll Results: Did the SNES win the 16-bit console war?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it outperformed the Genesis commercially.

64 37.65%
  • No, Sega moved on to the Saturn.

106 62.35%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the SNES really win?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Default Did the SNES really win?

After reading yet another article saying how the SNES eventually won the 16-bit war I was thinking about how it went down at the time. Here's the wiki summary-

Despite the Genesis's head start, its much larger library of games, as well as its lower price point, market share between the SNES and the Genesis was about even in April 1992, and neither console could maintain a definitive lead for several years. The Super NES eventually prevailed in the American 16-bit console market, and would even remain popular well into the 32-bit generation.

Now the SNES might've gotten a lead at one point, but I don't remember the market drastically shifting one way enough to be considered a real victory, as in forcing the Genesis to go under or die off at all. Sega cut the Genesis off before it was done to move onto the Saturn, even counting the 32X. I also don't consider the Saturn a response to the SNES, so it doesn't count (to me) that way either.

If the SNES pummeled the Genesis like the Playstation did the Saturn, I'd consider it a true victory even though the Saturn also got yanked in favor of a successor. Even before the Saturn launched, development had already shifted towards it since publishers knew it was coming and at that point Genesis development began to dwindle. It's not like everyone abandoned the Genesis in favor of the SNES.

The only reason the SNES continued to do well into the 32-bit generation is because it was all that Nintendo was doing. Same deal as the NES until the SNES finally showed up late. If the 32X never happened, the Saturn and N64 swapped launch dates and Sega strongly pushed the Genesis the way Nintendo actually did the SNES, it likely would have also done well during the 32-bit generation until it was replaced late. Especially if Sega continued to experiment with accelerator chips like the SNES did. Hell, even if the 32X and Saturn still went the way they did, the Genesis still would've gone on strong if Sega fully backed it.

Anyways, what I'm asking on a Genesis-centric forum is did the SNES truly claim victory or did Sega simply bow out to move on to bigger things?
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 06-30-2010 at 09:32 PM.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I think the SNES won for two main reasons:

1. It had first party support even after a successor was released. The Genesis was not.
    2. The SNES is remembered for being a juggernaut of the early 90s. The Genesis (unfortunately) is not.

That to me, determines if a console is a winner at the end of the race or not. Second place finishers can still be remembered, just look at the N64 and Intellivision. However, a console war loser doesn't mean that the system was bad in this place. The Genesis was awesome, it was just DNF in the 16-bit console race IMO.

It's pretty well recorded that SNES didn't "win", it was simply supported for a longer time than the Genesis. Sega was moving in other directions at the time, and failing in that experimentation, while Nintendo was happy to rest it's laurels on the SNES until N64 came out.

So, it is irrelevant.

It's Mathmatics Master of Shinobi 64k's Avatar

In America / Canada you can call it a win.

South America, Hong Kong & UK....Megadrive slaughtered the Snes.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

this argument really does get boring...

the SNES took the lead in 94 with Donkey Kong Country, and in 95 Sega simply quit supporting the genesis. meanwhile Nintendo kept supporting the SNES with DKC sequels, Super Mario Land 2, Ken Griffey Winning Run, and Killer Instinct.

Death Adder's minion

The SNES being "popular well into the 32bit generation" got me scratching my head. If a system was popular, there would still be support, right? Just for fun I checked out the Online Rarity Guide at Digital Press and looked up what games were released in the years 1996 to 1998. Genesis had about maybe 25 titles total in that time span, with no games in 1998. SNES had 9 in that time span, with Frogger being the last game in 1998. For companies to drop games on system that's of lesser popularity and not equal to or more than the leader seems a bit odd.

From what I've read/heard over the years, the SNES probably eeked a bit more out sales wise than the Genesis. I say "probably" because there wasn't anything really concrete. It would make sense if the SNES did because of its strong first party support along with the fact that it started out on the market almost two years after the Genesis released.

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

I own a SNES and a Genesis, therefore I win. The end.

Murder Victim Master of Shinobi Why-Disciple's Avatar

I think Genesis would have still lost had they not went on to 3D anyway. Its technology was still obsolete to SNES', so there wasn't much that blast processing could do to beat it out either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Why-Disciple View Post
    I think Genesis would have still lost had they not went on to 3D anyway. Its technology was still obsolete to SNES', so there wasn't much that blast processing could do to beat it out either way.
    Alien Soldier and Vectorman called, and they said they would like to have a word with you about that. They were also holding baseball bats for some reason.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I think part of it is that the media had declared the SNES technologically superior since day one (earlier even) through to this day and that it has much better games. The attitude at the time which seems to have gotten stronger since is that people either understood that the SNES was much better overall or just hadn't figured it out yet. So when the shift in software occurred, it was like "Sega didn't bother trying to compete". Which is true, but not in the way it seems to be perceived.

The things is, even if the SNES had a stronger library for two more years after the Genesis, it also showed up two years later. They both went strong for roughly the same period.

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phosis View Post
    It's pretty well recorded that SNES didn't "win", it was simply supported for a longer time than the Genesis. Sega was moving in other directions at the time, and failing in that experimentation, while Nintendo was happy to rest it's laurels on the SNES until N64 came out.

So, it is irrelevant.
    ^ This

I personally compare it to a race. Say you (A Sega Genesis for this story) and your buddy (A SNES) wanna race to the end of the block, and you do it, and its basically a tie (maybe you're ahead by a little ) and stop, but your buddy keeps running and claims victory at the end of the next block. And that's all I have to say about that.

my dads harder than your dad

Nintendo Dork Sports Talker Genesis#1FanGirl's Avatar

The Snes won guys lol sorry but look at who sold more consoles :/

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

The numbers we know now are quite even on that regard...

I don't really care who won, for me its probably MD since I still have not found that many games on SNES I really really like.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information