Quantcast

View Poll Results: Did the SNES win the 16-bit console war?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it outperformed the Genesis commercially.

64 37.65%
  • No, Sega moved on to the Saturn.

106 62.35%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Did the SNES really win?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gavica View Post
    the only one you got right was japan
    {{citation needed}}

I thought that sometime in the last year, figures were released that showed total Mega Drive/Genesis sales were quite a bit higher than previously reported.

EDIT: This page, for instance, gives sales figures of 22 million for the Genesis in North America alone, and another 2 million in Brazil. The Wikipedia page for the SNES cites a figure of 23.35 million "for the Americas" (plural). The SNES sales figures are more reliable, and don't itemize Brazil separately, but that still sounds like a draw to me.
    Last edited by goldenband; 06-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I don't know much about the Super NES but the US version looks awful. Which means that by default it couldn't win. People didn't want an ugly piece of plastic to mess up their living rooms.

Seriously though, I think 1994/1995 was the end of the Genesis / Mega Drive era. Not only because of 32X and Saturn. But because the market collapsed:

http://worldofstuart.excellentconten...dge/secret.htm
    The only genuine British rarity here, Res-Q was a Mega Drive game from Psygnosis which was overtaken by developments in the MD scene (or rather, the total lack of them, as the platform's economic viability collapsed almost overnight thanks to the advent of the Playstation) before it got as far as any shop shelves.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 06-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I'm not sure why someone hasn't talked about this before.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Anyway you measure with specific details, you're bound to get people that don't agree with that definition that constitutes a 'win' or whatever.

That said, given my experiences, the SNES was the winner. Not that I cared, though. I just went on buying/importing games.

You can go by sales numbers, but how many people sold their Genesis off to buy the SNES? You'll never know those numbers (or vice versa). Such decisions were very popular back then (kids and teens have a very limited budget). You can go by the overall aura of the systems. SNES always have a leg up on the graphics (read: colors/palette) over the Genesis. Genesis fans can fool themselves all they want, but if it was the other way 'round - sure enough they'd be putting down the 'snes' graphics. Music and sound too. Genesis had a very dated sound for its music (yes, there were exceptions. But that doesn't change the fact). SNES, while many here complain about the muffle-ness, had more realistic instrument sounds. A trend in the video game industry at the time (to get as close to real music as possible). Whether you preferred the Genesis type of sound, was irrelevant. The 2D graphics on the SNES were looking pretty close to the 2D graphics on the 32bit systems. The was not the case with the Genesis. And everyone I could think of that was into games, wanted a SNES. Even my friends that were loyal Genesis/Sega fans, admitted they wanted one early on - but didn't want to admit it. And they eventually got one. I highly doubt that was mostly true for SNES/Nintendo fans.
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 06-29-2010 at 07:51 PM.

I still think that the MD's music sounds better than that of the SNES. Nintendo did have the better games though (Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.), and they did not publish "games" like Night Trap.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    ... and they did not publish "games" like Night Trap.
    But they did allow games like the CDi Zeldas and Hotel Mario, which I think puts them on par with Sega and their FMV offerings.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

I would agree but at least they were clever enough not to release them on their own consoles... ^ ^

Nintendo Dork Sports Talker Genesis#1FanGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    But they did allow games like the CDi Zeldas and Hotel Mario, which I think puts them on par with Sega and their FMV offerings.
    Not Really That was about 4 games where sega had at least 50.......

Banned by Administrators

I don't know much about the Super NES but the US version looks awful. Which means that by default it couldn't win. People didn't want an ugly piece of plastic to mess up their living rooms.

Seriously though, I think 1994/1995 was the end of the Genesis / Mega Drive era. Not only because of 32X and Saturn. But because the market collapsed:
    What? That's one of the strangest posts I've read on the forum.
    The SNES is an amazing Console and the Library is fantastic... the same can be said for the Genesis.

OP, I answered NO.

I was talking about the redesign for the US market.

This gotta be one of the ugliest consoles ever designed.

Compare that to the Mega Drive or Super Famicom:
    Last edited by retrospiel; 06-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis#1FanGirl View Post
    Not Really That was about 4 games where sega had at least 50.......
    Appox. 38 games (which does include some classics like Space Ace and Dragon's Lair, as well as a few released by Good Deal Games long after the system was dead). But considering how bad those 4 Nintendo-based games are, just one of them amounts to about 10 FMV titles.

I've played them. I'll take the Sega CD's grainy video "games" over having to suffer through the likes of Zelda's Adventure ever again. At least the FMV titles are over with faster.

Done:

Banned by Administrators

I was talking about the redesign for the US market.

This gotta be one of the ugliest consoles ever designed.

Compare that to the Mega Drive or Super Famicom:
    I knew what you were talking about... I think the Famicom looks gay. If you Love Japan so much, fucking move there.... christ.

Nintendo Dork Sports Talker Genesis#1FanGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I knew what you were talking about... I think the Famicom looks gay. If you Love Japan so much, fucking move there.... christ.
    He can't the japanese like the the ugly snes better then the genesis he wouldn't fit in :P never really got why sega wasn't big in japan

Well at least the SNES didn'y undergo something as drastic as this.

to this travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Awwwww... wook at da widdle bitty game system. You wanna pway widdle guy? Huh? Huh? Do ya?

Done:

Thread Information