Quantcast

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Bros... for Genesis

I remember reading that the -1 glitch has to do with the way the level data is stored, and it's actually technically "world 36", and with the way the level data is stored, it pulls out other level data. Also a side note, the reason that the pipe at the end of the level doesn't function is because the screen exits are assigned within the level headers I believe, and since "world 36" isn't 2-2, it's pipe exit points at nothing.

I'm guessing that throughout the porting process, the author had to rearrange or alter the level data, so now it points to non-existent data.

I also noticed a graphical glitch in 2-3, where a random cloud and bridge tile used the question block and coins rotating palette.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

will it work in the Neo Flash Cart & the Everdrive??

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

So I'm not the only one to notice a glitched palette on the 2-3 bridges. I should have listed that one too.

At any rate, the guy needs to have the World 36 pointer lead to World 2-2, just for completeness.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

Ha, it has the same bug the NES version has in the first level!! Awesome!

If I get the star power and beat the level before the music to star power has ended, when the music ends for star power, it goes back to the overworld them instead of continuing the end level theme.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

This is jawusum!!

Someone should edit the title to reflect that this is a homebrew port, not the usual Asian pirate.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Negative world -1 almost works.. It proceeds to nearly start the level but goes black.

Awe..
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    This is jawusum!!

Someone should edit the title to reflect that this is a homebrew port, not the usual Asian pirate.

Jawsome indeed, shame it doesn't run on real hardware though..

I hope he fixes that, then he can move onto.. DUCKTALES!!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I'm not really that confident that this converter Mairtrus (main guy behind the project as the rest of you refer to) made can be used for anything other than SMB, or at least, other 40k NES games. I doubt anything that used a Memory Mapper Chip (MMC) is compatible. However, I would love to think wrong. Having almost any NES game you can think of available for porting to the Genesis with a little effort would be kick ass.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Heh, he stole my idea. That's what I get for being lazy

I'm not really that confident that this converter Mairtrus (main guy behind the project as the rest of you refer to) made can be used for anything other than SMB, or at least, other 40k NES games.
    Yeah, SMB and a few like it - are the easiest to simulate on the hardware end. All the tiles and sprites are fixed in vram, nothing ever changes (to tiles or sprite animation). Anything else, and he'll have to convert the tile/sprite data directly from planar to packed pixel (no fun and needs a lot of test code and caching). The code is more complicated and slower.

Yes, but what about a full emulator? Imagine a cart with a lock-on slot. The cart runs the
    emulator, the lock-on slot accepts NES carts.
    This isn't an emulator. This a recompile of the cpu source code. He only emulates the palette, tilemap, SAT, and audio registers on the fly. And you can't just take any old binary and convert it. He had the specific source code for this project done by Doppel (it's even mentioned on the forum link). Doppel spent hunderds and hundreds of hours build out that source code by hand, figuring out how it all works, and documenting it - and making it assembly ready. Mairtrus could have rewrote the audio and video update code, but he took the easy way out

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Heh, he stole my idea. That's what I get for being lazy

Yeah, SMB and a few like it - are the easiest to simulate on the hardware end. All the tiles and sprites are fixed in vram, nothing ever changes (to tiles or sprite animation). Anything else, and he'll have to convert the tile/sprite data directly from planar to packed pixel (no fun and needs a lot of test code and caching). The code is more complicated and slower.

This isn't an emulator. This a recompile of the cpu source code. He only emulates the palette, tilemap, SAT, and audio registers on the fly. And you can't just take any old binary and convert it. He had the specific source code for this project done by Doppel (it's even mentioned on the forum link). Doppel spent hunderds and hundreds of hours build out that source code by hand, figuring out how it all works, and documenting it - and making it assembly ready. Mairtrus could have rewrote the audio and video update code, but he took the easy way out
    Well that certianly answers my questions about simpler conversion for other games.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Mairtrus could have rewrote the audio and video update code, but he took the easy way out

Too bad he didn't do a full port, he could have replaced art with the redone art from Super Mario All-Stars.

Is it me or are Reds kinda dull colored in this port? Also black is dark gray and never truly black.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Is it me or are Reds kinda dull colored in this port? Also black is dark gray and never truly black.
    I believe that is what it really looks like on the NES. I played a rom that it appears like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Genesis View Post
    I believe that is what it really looks like on the NES. I played a rom that it appears like that.
    Very much mistaken..

NES:

This Genesis Port:

Yeah, it seems like some of the palette conversion is a bit off, I'd think 9-bit RGB had much closer matches than a lot of that stuff.

Still looks and sound great though, I'd take it over Allstars.

And is the minus world bug fixed or not? (I couldn't get it to work)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Thread Information