Quantcast

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you fall for the 32X hype?

Default Did you fall for the 32X hype?

A resounding HELL YEAH! EGM, Gamepro and Gameplayers were really hyping this system up. Plus good ole biased Sega Visions lol. I thought the 32X was going to have more power than every other system not named Saturn, PSx or N64. I thought if Nintendo could pull DKC off on the SNES imagine what Sega could do to Sonic with the 32X using SGI graphics. I played the 32X over my friends house a few times back in 94 or 95. SWA and Doom, I had kno clue Dooms music was bad. I didn't get my 32X till either 98 or 99 brand new with Doom for 24.99 which was a steal but needless to say it didn't come anywhere close to the hype lol.

The GamesMaster Master of Shinobi JDB's Avatar

hype? I was living the dream, Virtua racing deluxe, Afterburner and Virtual fighter... Living the DREAM
    Cyber-Razor cut sir? - To be this good takes AGES - Raúl be with you.

Basically, SEGA canned the 32X before most of the hyped games were done. I was really looking forward to Rayman in particular. You are right about one thing - if Nintendo could get DKC out of the SNES, you could have gotten much more wonderful things out of the 32X... eventually... which never happened because SEGA canned it well before devs had a chance to do little more than simple demos.

pew pew pew!! Wildside Expert Tears of Ash's Avatar

Hell yeah. All the sega add-ons were amazing to me at the time. I was like "whoah cool bro!!!"

Then again, it's not like children have an income. They just see something they think is cool, and want it. I was like that. I'm sure if something like that came out today, I wouldn't buy into the hyperbole. You get more cynical as you get older anyways.

I wanted a 32x so bad when I was little, but my mom got me a Nintendo 64 instead because people at her work (a community college) were gossiping about it.

Still not sure whether to be angry or to be thankful. Maybe both.
    Blog (reviews, podcasts, music shows, interviews)

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

The 32X failed to sell its first run of manufacturing. Developers subsequently canceled their announced projects well before Sega "canned it."

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The 32X failed to sell its first run of manufacturing. Developers subsequently canceled their announced projects well before Sega "canned it."
    This. It was around 2003 when my brother brought home a 32X and I asked him "...what's that?". I was impressed by the 3D graphics but the games were another story.

The 32X was the first console I played DOOM on and that was my favorite game for the system. Little did I know that there was a superior version out for the PC with more levels, better gameplay, and better music! Virtua Racing Deluxe was also a step up from the Genesis cartridge. It had more tracks, better graphics, and even different types of cars! Not to mention that AWESOME replay music!

Other than that, playing Knuckles Chaotix, Virtua Fighter, and Star Wars left a void in my soul and an ugly-ass mushroom on top of my Genesis.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I honestly don't get this Doom 32X had bad music jargon. I find Doom 32X's music to be terrific actually, and I think the thrashing once again started because of Youtube's notoriously bad video.

I've posted the Doom 32X soundtrack from original hardware, and have yet to get sick of listening to it.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

I honestly don't get this Doom 32X had bad music jargon. I find Doom 32X's music to be terrific actually, and I think the thrashing once again started because of Youtube's notoriously bad video.

I've posted the Doom 32X soundtrack from original hardware, and have yet to get sick of listening to it.
    Yeah, sounds like Doom music to me. Not sure why it's a big deal to some people, it's not like the original Doom music was spectacular or such on the PC. It was average at best, but at least it wasn't annoying. Just.. was.. music. Not much more to say about it.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

I fell for it bad. I still had a subscription to Sega Visions, which naturally pimped it hard. I re-read the preview article countless times, and had the specs memorized. It's all I wanted for Christmas that year, I asked my parents for a 32x and a copy of either Doom or Virtua Racing. When Christmas came, I had my system, with Doom!

Now, I had played Doom on my friend's PC, and realized that the 32x port wasn't perfect, but my family couldn't afford a PC and it didn't matter, I had DOOM! It was a very merry Christmas, indeed. I rented a few other games, and in February I picked up a used copy of Virtua Racing. Now, I had played it once in the arcade, and it was fabulous, now I could finally play it at home!

To this day, Virtua Racing 32x is still one of my favorite racers. It got constant play. Later in the spring I realized that the writing was on the wall for the 32x, as the Saturn was looming and no new games were coming out. Still, I was happy. In the summer the local Blockbuster cleared out their 32x section and I bought almost all of the games dirt cheap. It was fitting since I think I was the only person who had rented them.

In the end of that year, I think I had Doom, Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, Metal Head, Star Wars, and Cosmic Carnage (blech!) Slam City, Corpse Killer, and Night Trap. Except for Cosmic Carnage, I was very happy with the system.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Night Trap or Corpse Killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Wildside Expert

I was six months old. I never thought about it.

Anyways, my parents were way too busy raising me to get a 32X. I ended up getting one some time last year with a few games (yes, Knuckles' Chaotix was one of them).

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Yeah it seemed pretty awesome at the time. It always seemed like a bad idea but one I couldn't help myself from wanting. It was sorta like a one night stand with a girl you know you shouldn't touch, but can't help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Basically, SEGA canned the 32X before most of the hyped games were done. I was really looking forward to Rayman in particular. You are right about one thing - if Nintendo could get DKC out of the SNES, you could have gotten much more wonderful things out of the 32X... eventually... which never happened because SEGA canned it well before devs had a chance to do little more than simple demos.
    Yeah, but given that Japan seemed to be pushing the Saturn for a 1994 release all the way, it's really odd that they approached SoA at all with the whole Mars design at the beginning of 1994 (of course resulting in 32x). Some seem to infer that Sega was planning to keep the 32x as the lower end platform while simultaneously supporting the Saturn, but that really doesn't make a lot of sense, more so considering the genesis and CD to support as well. (and particularly given that the Saturn and 32x weren't intercompatible, so multiplatform development would be tough -it's not like the 32x was a cart based Saturn or something like that --that might have made a bit more sense, allowing a considerable price drop especially if they but it down a little more -and especially nice if an add-on could turn it into a full saturn).
    Unless, of course SoJ had planned on releasing the Saturn later, but it seems like they'd been pushing for a 1994 release by early 1994. (so soon after the 32x design was started, if not before)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

I honestly don't get this Doom 32X had bad music jargon.
    I think some people give the 32X music such a hard time, because Tom Kalinske in an interview made fun of other console versions that didn't feature music, and that the 32X version was the definitive console version .

There's no getting away form the fact, that a lot of 32X games just sounded terrible.

SEGA had to can it, They were losing market share and development support, and really had to push the Saturn . Sadly it was too late, and the damage with SEGA image, development and 3rd Party Support already done , and of course SEGA put million and millions in pushing the 32X, it seemed so sure it would be such a seller. And all machine and consoles can do wonderful things when pushed latter on (Mega Drive should this more than most) . Its a shame we never really got to see the true limits of the DC and Saturn

I think MS is making the same mistakes with Natal , Where top brass is so sure, it can't see (that while at the start it seemed a good idea) is such a joke (exactly the same with the 32X)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Cept M$ has billions upon billions to make Natal a moderate success at least.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Some seem to infer that Sega was planning to keep the 32x as the lower end platform while simultaneously supporting the Saturn, but that really doesn't make a lot of sense, more so considering the genesis and CD to support as well.
    Well I am sure that Sega of Japan planned for 'Project Mars' to be the lower end platform, replacing the bare bones Mega Drive model 2.

and *I know* from a press release that Sega of Europe sent me that they tried to sell 32X as a poor man's 32-bit system and Saturn as a high end machine targeted at hardcore gamers and adults. Kids couldn't afford it anyway. It was the PlayStation 3 of its days.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-11-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thread Information