Quantcast

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 454

Thread: Did you fall for the 32X hype?

  1. #16
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA had to can it, They were losing market share and development support, and really had to push the Saturn .
    The problem is that by unceremoniously dumping it as quickly as they did (and that was after some pretty half-assed support to begin with) they burned everyone who bought into the 32x. That was a shockingly poor thing to do when Sega were trying to sell a new console. A lot of 32x owners (and Megadrive/Genesis owners since it got dumped too) felt betrayed by Sega and moved on to the Playstation, and it didn't exactly inspire confidence for on the fence potential Saturn buyers.
    Last edited by Silanda; 07-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.

  2. #17
    pew pew pew!! Wildside Expert Tears of Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Age
    34
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Doom 32x doesn't have bad music until someone tells you that it sounds like farts, then you can't unhear it. After that, it always sounds bad.
    Blog (reviews, podcasts, music shows, interviews)

  3. #18
    I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,313
    Rep Power
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I think some people give the 32X music such a hard time, because Tom Kalinske in an interview made fun of other console versions that didn't feature music, and that the 32X version was the definitive console version .

    There's no getting away form the fact, that a lot of 32X games just sounded terrible.
    There's no getting around the fact that most system launches are chock full of average titles at best. Unfortunately for the 32X launch titles, and launch titles that were delayed to a later date, is basically all we got to see. Even more unfortunate is the fact that most people spouting off about how "stupid" the add-on was never played it on actual hardware. If any of these played 32X games in emulation they did so only after reading an editorial about how bad of an idea the add-on was. What they all fail to notice is that the editorials that say so are pointing squarely at system sales as the reason why we should all hate the incremental upgrade concept. Well I say that popularity and success determines next to nothing about the validity of an idea, much less a product.



    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA had to can it, They were losing market share and development support, and really had to push the Saturn . Sadly it was too late, and the damage with SEGA image, development and 3rd Party Support already done , and of course SEGA put million and millions in pushing the 32X, it seemed so sure it would be such a seller. And all machine and consoles can do wonderful things when pushed latter on (Mega Drive should this more than most) . Its a shame we never really got to see the true limits of the DC and Saturn

    I think MS is making the same mistakes with Natal , Where top brass is so sure, it can't see (that while at the start it seemed a good idea) is such a joke (exactly the same with the 32X)
    It does seem that SoJ's need to tighten its belt had a hand in the 32X's early demise. From what I can tell though, the same thing would have happened to the Genesis in 1992 had it not surprised everybody by selling out in Christmas 1991. Would we all call the Genesis a bad idea today if it only had a four year lifecycle? Based on current success oriented thought, I'd say yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tears of Ash View Post
    Doom 32x doesn't have bad music until someone tells you that it sounds like farts, then you can't unhear it. After that, it always sounds bad.
    Actually I can unhear it. Mainly because only bad Youtube audio makes it sound as such. Even if one would be momentarily convinced, the sound of a really high quality fart should take care of business.
    Last edited by sheath; 07-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.

  4. #19
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,942
    Rep Power
    111

    Default

    It wasn't hype for me. From what little experience I'd had with Doom on the computers few people in town owned and arcade time with Virtua Racing, the 32X already justified itself for me. I got it and the two games I wanted for X-Mas/birthday gifts all at once and had a lot of fun for a long time with it.

    I was disappointed that more wasn't done with it, but if I could go back I'd still get it with those games at that time.

  5. #20
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The 32X failed to sell its first run of manufacturing. Developers subsequently canceled their announced projects well before Sega "canned it."
    The 32X sold every unit put in stores. Any excess left after SOJ canceled it can't be counted the way you are. Xmas '94 was ALL about the 32X to any SEGA fan not in Japan. You got the 32X for $160, with $60 in coupons off the purchase of the launch carts, which included Star Wars, Doom, and Virtua Racing. It was one of the best "console" launches seen in a long time, and sure put Saturn's US launch to shame.

    Developers canceled titles before SEGA PUBLICLY canceled the 32X. Behind the scenes, SEGA pushed devs to stop working on the 32X and start working on the Saturn because they realized they had such a poor launch line up for the Saturn in the US. It only seems like devs canceled before the 32X was canned to uninformed gamers not in the business. This is made especially clear looking back from here in the future after reading interviews with the people involved on all fronts.

    As to Doom 32X's music, it's not the same as the PC, but it sounds good to me. I think people are spoiled by listening to the PC Doom music NOW on a modern sound card with 300 MB MIDI instruments instead of on the old FM chips used on the SB cards.

  6. #21
    ESWAT Veteran Da_Shocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cashville,TN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,254
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Chilly you my dude and all but nothing on the 32X looks as good as the first Panzer Dragoon except for maybe DarXide but it wasn't released here.

  7. #22
    ESWAT Veteran Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,744
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Chilly you my dude and all but nothing on the 32X looks as good as the first Panzer Dragoon except for maybe DarXide but it wasn't released here.
    True, that was definitely the MUST HAVE launch game for the Saturn. However, by that time, we were also playing things like Metal Head and Shadow Squadron on the 32X. I think that might be part of the reason the Saturn didn't do as well on it's launch - people were expecting far more from it given all the hype and seeing what the 32X had out at the same time. Virtua Fighter in particular really burned the Saturn. It's true that they eventually corrected the problem, but to even have it in the first place lost them much cred.

  8. #23
    Wildside Expert Txai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I honestly don't get this Doom 32X had bad music jargon.
    It could have sounded much better. Pretty sure the hardware isn't the one to blame.

  9. #24
    ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Muskegon, MI
    Posts
    1,518
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I remember just seeing the new color Genesis game boxes and wanting them..... for about a month. Then they all disappeared.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

    Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

  10. #25
    Master of Shinobi Zz Badnusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Did I fall for the 32x hype?

    Absolutely not! And I tried to tell everyone who would listen that it was a dead-end endeavor.

    The writing was on the wall. After Sega's empty promises about the "Next Level" with the Sega CD, it was clear that the company was falling apart and was desperate to stay competitive against the SNES.

    It was at that time that I realized some of my game playing friends were complete dumb-asses who would eat up anything Sega threw at them.

  11. #26
    The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,993
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    I got mine at either Hills or K-Mart for $30 in '96 or so. It was still jr. high so that seems like a good estimate. I remember that the games were all $20 so I could only get one at the time, Virtua Racing.

  12. #27
    Death Adder's minion
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Txai View Post
    It could have sounded much better. Pretty sure the hardware isn't the one to blame.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 32X add another six sound channels to the existing genesis sound set? After hearing what artists like tim follin could do with the regular sound set, it just seems like there is no excuse to me why the 32X version of doom had to sound so shitty

  13. #28
    ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,981
    Rep Power
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbledick View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but
    You're wrong.

    After hearing what artists like tim follin could do with the regular sound set, it just seems like there is no excuse to me why the 32X version of doom had to sound so shitty
    If every game music composer was as good as tim follin, then he wouldn't be so famous, would he?

  14. #29
    Death Adder's minion
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    If every game music composer was as good as tim follin, then he wouldn't be so famous, would he?
    Nope!

  15. #30
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,898
    Rep Power
    66

    Default

    It does seem that SoJ's need to tighten its belt had a hand in the 32X's early demise. From what I can tell though, the same thing would have happened to the Genesis in 1992 had it not surprised everybody by selling out in Christmas 1991. Would we all call the Genesis a bad idea today if it only had a four year lifecycle? Based on current success oriented thought, I'd say yes.
    That's why SOJ invested millions into the Mega CD development, and in 1991 started one of the biggest software projects for the development of SONIC, all ready to pull the Plug on the Mega Drive ?
    I think it was clear that SEGA Japan were behind the Mega Drive. Its not the same with the 32X.
    32X was just utterly pointless when SOJ had a better console in development, all it's Software teams were focused on Saturn development, and was using the CD medium. Why have a 32X, when I could have a Saturn ?

    Where I think SEGA went badly wrong, it not pushing the Mega Drive more, even after the Saturn. With great software deals and bundles, and pushing it on TV, as a great cheap system for kids 1st console, and so on . SOJ did drop the Mega Drive a bit too early in that regard


    There's no getting around the fact that most system launches are chock full of average titles at best
    But it most cases you can hear the improvement with the Audio. Most Mega Drive launch titles sounded notably better , same for Saturn, same for Dreamcast . 32 X just sounded like Jaguar games, very poor and in most cases terrible quality of music.

    The sound effects in Virutal Fighter on the Saturn is in a different league to that of the 32X version, and the Saturn version was rushed out

    Even more unfortunate is the fact that most people spouting off about how "stupid" the add-on was never played it on actual hardware
    Yes that really gets to me with the Mega CD.
    I have played the 32X and was given one by a mate. I think the system is terrible and sounds terrible.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •