Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom 32X

Default Doom 32X

Hmm, what have we here? A 32-bit add-on that promises all the bells and whistles, and one of its first titles is a half-baked port of one of the big killer apps of the era? Not quite the best way to introduce hardware. Yeah, it's playable, but it's also not full-screen and it's missing levels. Buckle up friends and check out our review of Doom 32X, and don't say we didn't warn you.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-14-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Right when this came out, this game and Star Wars Arcade sold me on a 32X back in 1994, when I was a wee lad.

I put up with a crappy port until I got the PC version, and a PC many years later and was so happy to sell it recently.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Video Ninja Sports Talker RaveFury's Avatar

I played through the game in its entirety this weekend, and agree with pretty much everything in this review. However, I would have given it a five or a six. Yes, it's a half-hearted port for sure, but it controls surprisingly well. And it's still Doom - and Doom is fun.

Still, I understand the low score. Mr. Meyer is correct: Get the PC version, kids.
    Last edited by RaveFury; 06-12-2006 at 01:09 AM.

That's one brutally honest review of 32X Doom. I have that issue of EGM that Russman mentions containing the 32X Doom review, and it's honestly a joke. 32X Doom gets an abbreviated review that fails to mention any of the game's shortcomings, with scores in the 8's and 9's, whereas Jaguar Doom gets slagged with 6's and 7's and the writers bitch endlessly. Objectivity at its finest.

I hated those abbreviated reviews in EGM, they were worthless.

I wouldn't mind having this game, for super cheap, of course. I did buy it brand new when it came out. I didn't feel the game was worth the price so I returned it for a full refund (along with Star Wars). But I kept Virtua Racing Deluxe because that was good.

An old Swedish magazine called Sega Force had their final issue back in 1995 where they gave Doom full score in everything. It's a damn shame, cause they were awesome in every other regard. To think they would showcase this as the definite Sega game in their final moments...

Ceramic Arms Outrunner Kikoskia's Avatar

Well, I don't know abuot everyone else, but I liked Doom for what it was. I find playing Doom on the 32x lots of fun and I think that ultimately it still has that feeling for me that makes it Doom, as opposed to any other clone FPS.

But it seems I'm in the minority here.

Megadrive games: 254
    Kikoskia's Let's Plays on YouTube

I'm right with you on that one, Kikoskia. And the statement the review made about 'not being able to play for more than 15 minutes' - I hope that was a joke, because if it isn't then you need to go to an eye doctor or something.

Seriously, though: the review basically laid it down as it is, but IMO Doom 32X is one of those games where the sum is better than its parts.

If you think the 32X version is bad, try the Super Nintendo version. That version is the worst version of Doom that I have seen. The 32X version is not 4 out of ten material, but more like 6 out of 10 because of the missing levels. There are better versions of the game (The PS1 version is the best one), but you can do much worse.
    "O Rly"

The main problem is how everything just screams rushjob, it could potentially be over twice as good if they had taken time to work with the hardware better. The music sounds like they just threw the .mid originals through some converter without bothering with any sort of post-editing.

There's no doubt that if 32x Doom hadn't been rushed it would have rocked waaaaaay harder.

In spite of the SNES version's shortcomings it actually feels like effort was put into the port, which inspires a feeling of respect as opposed to this version.

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

Don't care; it's Doom related and says 'id software' on the box, I have to own a copy.

YES, it's crap. I had it. But...it's Doom. And it's me we're talking about.

Are you talking about 32X Doom or SNES Doom, Flash?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori
    In spite of the SNES version's shortcomings it actually feels like effort was put into the port, which inspires a feeling of respect as opposed to this version.
    I don't feel like any effort was put into SNES Doom, save perhaps the music. With effort, the framerate could've been at least somewhat better. I don't think I've ever played a game with fewer frames per second.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information