Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Doom 32X

U know, doom still scares the crap out of sometimes. I was walking through the hallway on nightmare and I thought I had killed all teh enemies, but this imp sneaks up on me and murders me. Made me jump out of my seat actually. Another time, I was running through this dark corridor in Doom II, and this demon runs in my face...freaked me out man. This game can be scary.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I remember playing Doom for the first time and thinking, "Wow, this game is really violent." I thought the graphics looked very realistic. Now it looks more like a cartoon but it's still got that violence factor. More important, it was a fun game that's still fun to play today.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I thought I was happy to trade it away, and yes I traded my copy away to someone here - forgot his username, MegaDrive20XX or something? Ilater repurchased it more for nostalgic/collection sakes this time around and it really wasn't too bad find another copy. Same with the other game I trade to him (Metal Head) and purchased NBA Jam TE in one purchase like a year later. Quite random, and OT but even though I hated this port back then (yes, even I knew it was awful) but I tried to have fun given the circumstances - got a 32X, and didn't have a PC at the time. Got a PC shortly after I got a 32X and I later got Doom 2 for it and no regrets.

I knew this hot person working at the school back when I was in the second or third grade that played Doom. I wish I remembered her name. That shows you the staying power Doom had.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Doom (SNES/Super Famicom and 32X comparison)

SNES/Super Famicom advantages

2. Allows for two player support via X Band.
    I wouldn't really call that an advantage. Not only was it even more sluggish than the single player game, it had no sound effects, no monsters, and no objects. Also, there was only one frame for the opposing player, just a front view that was not animated at all. You couldn't tell if you were sneaking up on the other player or if you were hitting them or anything! We played it one time but it wasn't worth playing again.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

The Atari Jaguar version was a separate development by id Software which had some differences introduced compared to the PC original, mostly regarding the wall textures and level design of some levels (the first two levels from the Inferno episode, in fact, are completely different). Some monsters like the Cyber Demon and Spider Mastermind final bosses were also absent. The 32X and 3DO versions were licensed conversions from the Atari Jaguar version and that's why they share these similarities.

The SNES version, on the other hand, was converted directly from the PC version. If there are some cuts present on it (not sure of it because I haven't played it that much), then I suppose they must have been done by Sculptured Software because of hardware limitations.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    I wouldn't really call that an advantage. Not only was it even more sluggish than the single player game, it had no sound effects, no monsters, and no objects. Also, there was only one frame for the opposing player, just a front view that was not animated at all. You couldn't tell if you were sneaking up on the other player or if you were hitting them or anything! We played it one time but it wasn't worth playing again.
    Was Doom on the SNES the first home console FPS with online multiplayer?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Wasn't Zero Tolerance online playable? I might just be thinking about split screen.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Road Rasher

Zero Tolerance used a link cable for two player support and didn't use XBAND.
    Last edited by Josh; 02-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Road Rasher

One of the screenshots on the back of the box for the U.S. Sega 32X version shows two of the zombiemen (the guys with pistols) walking in different directions from the player (not using the front facing sprites).

I think it would have had all of those details had Carmack been allowed to finish the port. I just wish they would have gone ahead and released an Ultimate Doom cartridge in 1995 to make up for this.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

If they were going to do a release of Ultimate Doom in 1995 for a Sega System, I'd much prefer it be on the Saturn. A direct PC port instead of a port from the Jag/PSX would've been nice.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I'd prefer it be both.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Throw in a Game Gear version too!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I was thinking more specifically of an optimized port for the Saturn making for a better 32X version thanks to the shared CPUs.

Does the Game Gear still have the "3D hardware" that they used for Phantasy Star? That would make a perfect Doom port too.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I think it would have had all of those details had Carmack been allowed to finish the port. I just wish they would have gone ahead and released an Ultimate Doom cartridge in 1995 to make up for this.
    Doom.wikia.com has an article about the development process of the Sega 32X port of Doom. A version called Doom RR is dated after the release of the retail version of the Sega 32X port, though very little information is known about what Doom RR was actually going to be (some speculate it to be a possible revision of the game).

Thread Information