Quantcast

Thread: Favourite (music) track from Sonic (1,2,3, CD and Chaotix)?

16-bit Man Nameless One andrew23's Avatar

Sonic Favourite (music) track from Sonic (1,2,3, CD and Chaotix)?

Hey all,

I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought it could be fun ( and potentially dangerous)to see what are some people's favourite tracks are. And maybe why it's your favourite too.

My personal favourite is Aquatic Ruin Zone (Sonic 2).

I don't know how versed many are in musical theory, (not that I am well versed), but I think it could be fun to also see why people like certain tracks.

Aquatic Ruin Zone's music is quite interesting not many tracks I can recall use call and response much, where one instrument plays a line(calls) and another 'responds'. Also the use of syncopation (off the beat) sections are great, and tension and release (Tension and release' refers to the build-up of musical intensity that eventually dissolves and relaxes.).

TLDR, aquatic ruin zone is my favourite track because reasons, and I would like to know what are your favourite(s).

Maybe (most probably) I write too much :V

EDIT: Oh dang, forgot reference,

tension and release,
    https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/...ease-in-music/
    Last edited by andrew23; 05-28-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    Genesis all the way!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by andrew23 View Post
    Hey all,

I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought it could be fun ( and potentially dangerous)to see what are some people's favourite tracks are. And maybe why it's your favourite too.

My personal favourite is Aquatic Ruin Zone (Sonic 2).

I don't know how versed many are in musical theory, (not that I am well versed), but I think it could be fun to also see why people like certain tracks.

Aquatic Ruin Zone's music is quite interesting not many tracks I can recall use call and response much, where one instrument plays a line(calls) and another 'responds'. Also the use of syncopation (off the beat) sections are great, and tension and release (Tension and release' refers to the build-up of musical intensity that eventually dissolves and relaxes.).

TLDR, aquatic ruin zone is my favourite track because reasons, and I would like to know what are your favourite(s).

Maybe (most probably) I write too much :V

EDIT: Oh dang, forgot reference,

tension and release,
    https://www.schoolofcomposition.com/...ease-in-music/

there are so many for me, it is hard to pick a favourite

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I can just barely pick a single favorite from each game. Picking an all-time favorite is really hard, and I'll probably give a different answer every time you ask.

Sonic 1: Marble Zone. It kind of has that tension and release thing you mentioned. I always loved how the tempo of the music felt when pushing through the stage.

Sonic 2: Chemical Plant Zone

Sonic CD: Stardust Speedway bad future (Japan version)

Sonic 3: Angel Island Act II. It fits well with the burning forest environment of act II as well as being great music.

Sonic & Knuckles: Flying Battery Zone Act II. This song has a lot of energy and great drum+bass, I love whenever I play through FBZ.

Knuckles' Chaotix: Midnight Greenhouse.
    Last edited by ComradeOj; 05-29-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

16-bit Man Nameless One andrew23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I can just barely pick a single favorite from each game. Picking an all-time favorite is really hard, and I'll probably give a different answer every time you ask.

Sonic 1: Marble Zone. It kind of has that tension and release thing you mentioned. I always loved how the tempo of the music felt when pushing through the stage.

Sonic 2: Chemical Plant Zone

Sonic CD: Stardust Speedway bad future (Japan version)

Sonic 3: Angel Island Act II. I always thought it fit well with the burning forest environment of act II as well as being great music.

Sonic & Knuckles: Flying Battery Zone Act II. This song has a lot of energy and great drum+base, I love whenever I play through FBZ.

Knuckles' Chaotix: Midnight Greenhouse.
    Yeah, I agree with you with Marble Zone, it is another fantastic track. A favourite of mine too.

Maybe a favourite track by game, would have been interesting, but I think that might havr been done before (?).

I dunno, I might be a bit obsessed with Aquatic Ruin Zone.:V Not to upset anyone, but Sonic 2 is probably my least favourite soundtrack, but it holds may favourite track in all the games listed.
    I feel like it's let down by Metropolis, Oil Ocean, and Hilltop.

I get where they were going with Hilltop(and i have grown to like it), and Oil Ocean. Metropolis is short, and very repetitive.

Has a soundtrack discussion thread already been done? I feel like it may have.

I hope I am not opening an old can of worms...
    Genesis all the way!

Alright.

So I really like Sonic games. They were all a pretty big f#cking deal to me when I was a kid.

And I've never shared this on the forum before.

But I believe that Door Into Summer on Knuckles' Chaotix is the single best Sonic tune ever.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Sonic 1: Star Light Zone
    Sonic 2: Mystic Cave Zone
    Sonic 3: Icecap Zone (both acts)
    Sonic & Knuckles: Death Egg Zone
    Sonic CD: Tidal Tempest Zone (past)

Never played Chaotix so can't comment on that.

If I was forced to pick an all time fave song from all Sonic games then it has to be Icecap Zone from Sonic 3. It's simply one of the best pieces of Mega Drive music ever.

Thread Information