Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City Heroes (Streets of Rage clone, Samsung 1993/1994, unreleased)

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Sure, the best thing would be to find someone who played it. I think, though, we have to differentiate carefully between these things:

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    a graphics hack / bootleg
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    an SoR clone it's a clone of something else with SoR tiles.
    It's one thing to assert the game is a Streets of Rage "clone", which it almost certainly is. I don't see how it could be anything else.

It's another thing to assert that the game is just a pirate version of Streets of Rage 2 with a few assets changed, like one of those Pitfall ROM hacks that got sold at retail back in the 1980s. Or, alternatively, that it's a pirate version of some other beat-'em-up, reskinned to look like SOR2. I don't think the evidence points in that direction -- i.e. that City Heroes is the equivalent of "Dschungel Boy", and the whole thing is just a ROM hack.

The thing that grabbed my attention in derboo's post at Unseen64 (which, you're correct, is largely a paraphrase of the magazine article) is there are published pages of movelists that don't match SOR2, and input methods that also don't match SOR2. That hadn't been mentioned here.

Unless the industry journalists were outright lying -- which of course never, ever happens -- then it seems more likely we have something closer to to Fighter's History and Capcom U.S.A. Inc. v. Data East Corp. In other words, to me City Heroes looks like a clone, a very deliberate clone, but not copyright infringement via stolen code.

Of course none of this has anything to do with how the game plays. It could be a masterpiece or an utter piece of crap: I have no idea either way, as I don't evaluate games I haven't played.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Sure, the best thing would be to find someone who played it. I think, though, we have to differentiate carefully between these things:

It's one thing to assert the game is a Streets of Rage "clone", which it almost certainly is. I don't see how it could be anything else.

It's another thing to assert that the game is just a pirate version of Streets of Rage 2 with a few assets changed, like one of those Pitfall ROM hacks that got sold at retail back in the 1980s. Or, alternatively, that it's a pirate version of some other beat-'em-up, reskinned to look like SOR2. I don't think the evidence points in that direction -- i.e. that City Heroes is the equivalent of "Dschungel Boy", and the whole thing is just a ROM hack.

The thing that grabbed my attention in derboo's post at Unseen64 (which, you're correct, is largely a paraphrase of the magazine article) is there are published pages of movelists that don't match SOR2, and input methods that also don't match SOR2. That hadn't been mentioned here.

Unless the industry journalists were outright lying -- which of course never, ever happens -- then it seems more likely we have something closer to to Fighter's History and Capcom U.S.A. Inc. v. Data East Corp. In other words, to me City Heroes looks like a clone, a very deliberate clone, but not copyright infringement via stolen code.

Of course none of this has anything to do with how the game plays. It could be a masterpiece or an utter piece of crap: I have no idea either way, as I don't evaluate games I haven't played.
    I just look at Samsung's output on the Mega Drive (a single low quality game) and the fact that the graphics are clearly a rip off from SoR2 (the characters and BG objects look traced) and find it very difficult to believe this is an original work. It looks like a ROM hack, why wouldn't it be one? Also let's consider the state of the Korean videogame industry in the early 90s, there were no big game studios, everything was either a bootleg, a clone, a translation, or a poor quality indie game. Copyright law wasn't heavily enforced so there was little incentive to create anything original.

Then there's the obvious question, if this was a real game, why wouldn't Samsung just remove the placeholder graphics (i.e. infringing content) and release it?

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

It doesn't work like that, a game that rips off the style and whatever else from a game isn't automatically a romhack, also this is the early 90s so you'd have to dump the rom first, then what, replace all the assets? Not even worth it.
    I like 'clone' games, sometimes more than the original, the industry has been full of them, most influential games had and have a lot of clones... This would have been a cool game to check out.

Also, I've recently cleared their shmup, Uzu KeobukSeon... It was very cool! Unbalanced as heck and horrible hit detection but very very cool.

Retrogaming lore videos on YouTube

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project: beating and documenting every single Mega Drive videogame.
    All regions, unlicensed, unreleased, homebrews...

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

This game and Vasum from Treco are the unreleased games I am most curious to learn more about.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Goati View Post
    It doesn't work like that, a game that rips off the style and whatever else from a game isn't automatically a romhack, also this is the early 90s so you'd have to dump the rom first, then what, replace all the assets? Not even worth it.
    I like 'clone' games, sometimes more than the original, the industry has been full of them, most influential games had and have a lot of clones... This would have been a cool game to check out.

Also, I've recently cleared their shmup, Uzu KeobukSeon... It was very cool! Unbalanced as heck and horrible hit detection but very very cool.
    Bootleggers have been doing graphics hacks since the early 80s. It's not that unusual.

Thread Information