Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City Heroes (Streets of Rage clone, Samsung 1993/1994, unreleased)

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Too bad it wasn't released. It could have filled the gaping hole left from streets of rage 3.

Master of Shinobi

Looks interesting. I wonder if there was more to the cancellation than simple concern about censorship though. It does look rather similar to the Streets of Rage games in certain ways and it makes me wonder if, unbeknownst to Samsung, the developers had lifted some of the graphics (or code) early on which hadn't all been replaced by the time it went gold. A small Korean release might have got away with that, but surely it would have been noticed if it had a Japanese or global release. Samsung found out and simply scrapped it rather than spending more money on it.

Total conjecture but the reason given doesn't seem that compelling. That said, Psygnosis cancelled games for lesser reasons so you never know.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Too bad it wasn't released. It could have filled the gaping hole left from streets of rage 3.
    That hole was filled with Bare Knuckle III.
    Jeff Nelson
    Video gaming since 1979 (I was an Atari Baby)

Looks nice to say the least.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Looks interesting. I wonder if there was more to the cancellation than simple concern about censorship though. It does look rather similar to the Streets of Rage games in certain ways and it makes me wonder if, unbeknownst to Samsung, the developers had lifted some of the graphics (or code) early on which hadn't all been replaced by the time it went gold. A small Korean release might have got away with that, but surely it would have been noticed if it had a Japanese or global release. Samsung found out and simply scrapped it rather than spending more money on it.

Total conjecture but the reason given doesn't seem that compelling. That said, Psygnosis cancelled games for lesser reasons so you never know.
    Game rating & censorship in Korea was crazy in the beginning (it started 1993/94). Gunstar Heroes wasn't officially released in Korea because it was denied an age rating, too.

I don't believe the game had any ripped graphics or code. I guess it is thinkable that Sega didn't approve of the game because they didn't want it to compete with Bare Knuckle 3 (although Sega was never as Nazi as Nintendo used to be with their licensing policy), as all of Samsung's Mega Drive games (well, the one that was released, anyway) were officially licensed.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by derboo View Post
    Game rating & censorship in Korea was crazy in the beginning (it started 1993/94). Gunstar Heroes wasn't officially released in Korea because it was denied an age rating, too.
    I didn't realise the situation was that bad. Maybe that was all there was to it then. It's a shame as it looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Looks really good. There was never a ROM recovered?
    Ten years later I am STILL waiting for this game to be recovered. If there was a fully finished game made, there must be a beta version on cartridge or EEPROM out there somewhere...one can only hope anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Most prototypes we found so far are from Western sources, but for this you'd need to search in South Korea.

There's also the question about whether the magazine got a copy to play with or if they were just sent screenshots from Samsung (the reason Sonic 3 prototypes were so elusive was because most magazines only got screenshots, it took us to figure out the one exception to find the prototype that got released in November). I somehow doubt that Samsung would have bothered to preserve anything.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Someone search Samsungs basement in Seoul.

Twelve years later, STILL waiting for this to show up!

Master of Shinobi

Twelve years later, STILL waiting for this to show up!
    You know it's just a graphics hack / bootleg right?

It is a custom game from the ground up, dont think they just romhacked Streets of Rage.

Master of Shinobi

It is a custom game from the ground up, dont think they just romhacked Streets of Rage.
    LOL. OK man.... don't stop believing. Hold on to that feeling

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

The discussion in the comments at Unseen64 is interesting, particularly #7, which has comments from derboo that are more in-depth than the ones in this thread:

https://www.unseen64.net/2011/06/30/...es-mega-drive/

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The discussion in the comments at Unseen64 is interesting, particularly #7, which has comments from derboo that are more in-depth than the ones in this thread:

https://www.unseen64.net/2011/06/30/...es-mega-drive/
    OK but that's just repeating what it says in the magazine. Who's actually seen this running? Let's look at Samsung's record of games on the Mega Drive. They produced one low budget shooter featuring a flying turtle with oars coming out of it... and that's it. Yet somehow within a year they put together an original beat 'em up that just so happens to look exactly like a Streets of Rage graphics hack? And then after all that work, they decide not to release it?

If we've learned nothing else on Sega-16 it's that inexperienced, low budget developers do not put out beat 'em ups on par with SoR. If that is not an SoR clone it's a clone of something else with SoR tiles.

Thread Information