Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyber-Cop (Corporation)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.B. Lazer View Post
    BTW, level layouts on Genesis differ from layouts on Amiga and PC.
    I see the original 1990 Amiga release got a data disk expansion the following year, bringing the stages to a total of 16? In 1991 the game was also release on DOS in what seems an improved version.

Are the Genesis levels based (at least partially) on the Mission Disk or are they completely new?

This game gets a lot of comparison with Zero Tolerance around these parts, but actually if you read contemporary reviews on Amiga magazines, the most frequent comparison was with Dungeon Master, or Captive. The computer versions don't seem to rely on auto-targeting at all, which makes the final impression more similar to an RPG since you had to move with keyboard, manually aim at each target with the mouse etc. Sure, they had implemented real-time polygonal environments (with shading), but that was basically a prettied up way to show the by-then famous formula of first person action dungeon crawler.

Sure, the framing of this and ZT seem so close down to setting, aesthetics, and even six soldiers to choose from right at the beginning. Between this 1990 title and the '94 ZT though the world had been completely changed (turned upside down) by Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. That's why the latter works so great as a no-frills shooter, while this precursor tries things that would open paths for System Shock and beyond.

Longplay of Genesis version:

https://youtu.be/IOlQ_v08EFA

Longplay of Amiga version:

https://youtu.be/jflI-riB4To

Gameplay sample of DOS version:

https://youtu.be/T8FrCnpXPq8

Overview of the three games (according to this piece, PSI powers aren't to be found in the Sega version):

http://superadventuresingaming.blogs...drive.html?m=1
    Last edited by Aleste; 10-14-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Yeah, people are quick to compare this game to other FPS's that actually came later because the player is equipped with a gun, but Corporation/Cyber-Cop is really more an RPG in the Dungeon Master mold with a sci-fi coatingrather than a shooter like Zero Tolerance or Wolfenstein. Although it's not really an RPG either; you have character stats at the beginning and inventory puzzles, true, but you lack any form of character development throughout the game. And the Genesis port is different to the Amiga- or Atari versions, but poorer for it, as it lacks the precision in controls and the impressive visuals of the computer games.

Like I said in my review, this game was in many ways ahead of its times, but the hardware was too limited to really support the scoe this game was aiming for.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

I support the general view in your review, to the extent that the game became very old very quickly. It basically wanted to improve a formula, that of Dungeon Master, which aside for a couple of Westwood efforts never really took off of not much later.

I disagree however on the hardware limitations angle. I think the hardware pretty much supported the general idea: First Person maze with a real time shooting action. This stands certainly true for the computer versions, and to a degree also for the Genesis. What really alters the outcome is a poor translation of keyboard+mouse interface. Unlike the really well done in Faery Tale Adventure, for example.

Case in point is the silhouette on the right of the screen: in the original, you actually interact via mouse with all those pockets, so you have a clear immediate idea of your belongings. On the Megadrive, the only way to see equipment and interact with it Is the botton right window, which makes the silhouette pretty much pointless.

It's also alarming how poor the icon system is conceived, with a series of desparate actions all symbolized by very generic arrows and hands.

In this general failure of design, I actually think that the auto aiming is an improvement over the original. That seemed to work well for me in the three maps I ventured on; since most of the interaction required effectively to shoot at everything, enemy or scenery regardless.

One this Is sure, they really nailed at least one aspect with this game:

Attachment 15642

Me and my brother owned this game back in the day, I can remember nothing about it bar the fact that it was our least favourite game and we almost never put it on. The main upside to this game was that it was bought second hand, whereas our second worst game, Shadow of the Beast cost my brother like 50 so that was more notorious in our household

Thread Information