Quantcast

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Laserdisc - The Only Format You Need

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

^^
    Regarding sound quality. I've listened to a few DTS lasers. And in particular that of the Casper movie. Average film but fantastic sound. Really well crafted mix.
    Those for The Rock and Broken Arrow are really impressive as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Cool video. Laserdisc has that awesome analog filtered look...makes you wish they designed players or programs that just put filters on your old movies. Would be cool if PleX had a feature like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Picked up the DTS version of True Lies.

Interestingly, apart from a VHS tape release (D-Theater) there has never been any other HD physical release of this movie.
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Cool video. Laserdisc has that awesome analog filtered look...makes you wish they designed players or programs that just put filters on your old movies. Would be cool if PleX had a feature like that.
    Well, the video signal on the disc is composite so that's actually a super accurate description.

I haven't gone down the rabbit hole too much of LD on a modern screen but I've heard you can get pretty good results depending on the hardware used.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I haven't gone down the rabbit hole too much of LD on a modern screen but I've heard you can get pretty good results depending on the hardware used.
    That can be a very deep rabbit hole.

I've not tried it myself but I've heard a good "compromise" option that won't cost a fortune is the Blackmagic Design MultiView 4 HD. It's $185 new and offers professional quality processing and scaling, it'll also allow for up to 4 SD devices to be connected at once in case you want to use old consoles or other composite sources with it. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y

The best "budget" device is probably a DVD Recorder with HDMI output. Lots of people like the Panasonic ones.

Personally, I've sidestepped all that and gone down the route of the inexpensive devices which can go for as little as $25-30. Not great but they function well enough for me and I get a picture quality that I'm okay with. So at least I've accomplished my goal of getting my cheapie players and (in my case) the entry level 1080p Optoma projector working decently with each other.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I actually have a DVD recorder myself, it's a nice little way to upscale but I agree it takes up enough room to be a bit of a nuisance, but the results are solid for me. My big problem is my wife hates watching movies most of the time :P
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Mega-Dorky Nerd God WCPO Agent nissling's Avatar

Weird to see that I started this thread ten years ago. Feels more like fifty or something.

I got in and out of Laserdisc throughout the years. My peak for interest was around 2013/14, but I lost it soon after. Sold my player and most of my discs in late 2016. Sometime later I picked up another player (CLD-3380) but never got the composite input on my BVMs to work with it so once again I sold it, figured I'd never get into it again. However recently I managed to get a BKM-61D for my BVM-A series monitor that accepts composite video, so by a chance I found a local CLD-D704 at a decent price so I picked it up. Finally I'm back into the game.

TBH Laserdisc shouldn't get overhyped. I do have a tendency however of finding somewhat obscure titles that are difficult to find on DVD or Blu-Ray, leaving room for somewhat exclusive experiences on the format. This is what I find to be most fun with Laserdisc, not getting those frequent 90s flicks that you've seen millions of times already and are readily available elsewhere.

The BKM-61D offers a very solid 3D comb filter that helps cleaning up LDs big time. This, in addition to an already decent player and native resolution on the CRT, makes for a watchable experience despite the limitations being clear. Soft, noisy image and side breaks are somewhat worth it from time to time thanks to the fantastic soundtracks and often awesome artwork. I do still buy Blu-Rays and UHD-BDs. Even DVDs when there's no other rational way. I just don't like being limited by formats.

@nissling
    I remember being a lddb forum member talking about screen comparisons and I'm pretty sure you talked about component capture suggestion.

I still feel like it's 2010 in a bad way. Seems like nothing has happened on my side...

"Legend of Boggy Creek" finally catalogued on HD and bd and supposedly it's uncropped. Haven't seen this new catalog but it has been somewhat unfortunate to see many other older horror films cropped and artificially zoomed on digital formats; not to mention a redundant variety of editions and packages catalogued.

"Dawn of the Dead" has been catalogued in various cropped transfers to digital formats. The rainbow colored VHS 25th anniversary edition catalog even today is one of the better uncut variants even if vhs is low frequency.

"Evil Dead" Japanese Laserdisc Heraldgram catalog is overrated. It's true it has the most uncropped screen space which is interesting, but there's too much color/luminance crushed out and it looks like a copy from another low quality copy. The best catalog is "Anchor Bay" fullscreen on vhs or dvd imo.

Disney laserdiscs and vhs are worthwhile. Many Disney HD bluray catalogs aren't transferred very well and got corrupt; "Cinderella" on bluray is known for this. DVD usually has better quality transfers too.

Good way to overcome these problems is transcode standard definition movies from vhs/ld and put them on bdr in mp4 or mkv format. Xvid or Divx work fine and usually result in one gigabyte per hour (little more if lossless 24bit audio or multiple audio tracks). That's about 11-13 movies per bdr depending on length.

edit:
    Cinderella
    vhs
    bd Looks like colorblobs on bd but even vhs manages better texture and color. More results here https://www.boredpanda.com/disney-an...mpaign=organic

Dawn of the Dead:
    It's unfortunate this movie has so many cropped catalogs as shown in these comparisons (there's still some missing comparisons)

bd (argento cut)

bd (others)

More information here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...HD_blu-ray.htm
    Last edited by vexatious; 07-04-2020 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixed information

Some known good catalogs of "Dawn of the Dead"

HBO Cannon vhs / LD (here's the ld)
    Front HBO Cannon LD
    Back HBO Cannon LD

Republic Pictures vhs / LD (here's vhs). I don't know about this one.
    rear Republic Pictures vhs
    front Republic Pictures vhs

Anchor Bay Anniversary Edition Director's Cut vhs (mistakenly called this 25th anniversary edition previously sorry). Notice how this one is completely covered in tiled rainbow on front, side and most of rear, whereas other catalogs appear very similar but only partially covered in rainbow (some have very few and big tiles)
    Front Anchor Bay Anniversary Edition Director's Cut vhs
    Rear Anchor Bay Anniversary Edition Director's Cut vhs

There's probably more uncropped catalogs of "Dawn of the Dead" I'm not aware of, but these are good choices even on limited frequency formats. Also, sometimes the sound quality is worse on some digital catalogs.
    Last edited by vexatious; 07-04-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: more information

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

My "I'm not even trying" LD collection. Not pictured: King Ralph, which had stashed itself away in a Pioneer LD player that I bought for $10 at a rummage sale.

- Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Just acquired NEC VP-L750. Looks a lot like the Pioneer LD-717. Oddly, most of the labels are Japanese katakana too.

Front vp-L750
    Rear vp-L750

Untested but this model has EFM digital out and I/O rear plugs.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

A little something (nagware) to help you with your imaging issues.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/2bb4m9...g%2529.7z/file
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Thread Information