Quantcast

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserdisc - The Only Format You Need

Mega-Dorky Nerd God WCPO Agent nissling's Avatar

So you think it's quite stupid to use Laserdisc instead of Dvd or Blu-Ray? In that case, it's even more stupid to play on a Sega Mega Drive instead of a Playstation 3.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    The 3:2 pulldown process can be reversed to give a nice and clear progressive picture. Most TV's these days can pull this off internally.
    That only works on NTSC video of course. PAL movies are simply sped up a bit to go from 24fps to 25fps, without any pulldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulstar View Post
    Yeah, that's really something you should say on a forum dedicated to ancient 16-bit hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    That only works on NTSC video of course. PAL movies are simply sped up a bit to go from 24fps to 25fps, without any pulldown.
    But about 90% or so of the total library of movies that was released for Laserdisc is in NTSC.

Quote Originally Posted by mick_aka View Post
    Dude. It'd be awesome to own the 'original' trilogy in a format superior to VHS tapes.

Unfortunately... the recent BluRay release didn't even bother. Looks like LD still has the best version of the un-modified Star Wars movies.

That very reason is why I won't bother upgrading the SW movies from Dvds.

Wildside Expert

I love laserdisks, ever since I got my laseractive system. I just wish that they still made them! Any movie made after the year 2000 will never see a laserdisk release, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
    Dude. It'd be awesome to own the 'original' trilogy in a format superior to VHS tapes.

Unfortunately... the recent BluRay release didn't even bother. Looks like LD still has the best version of the un-modified Star Wars movies.

That very reason is why I won't bother upgrading the SW movies from Dvds.
    They did release a special edition DVD with the Theatrical version as well as the Special Edition. That's what I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    They did release a special edition DVD with the Theatrical version as well as the Special Edition. That's what I bought.
    Indeed. And those (non-anamorphic) Theatrical Editions were in fact direct transfers from the Laserdisc versions.

The last Laserdisc that was released was Tokyo Raiders, it was made in 2000 and released in September 2001 so there are at least one movie that was made for ten years ago on Laserdisc. Even if Laserdisc is retired today, it still lives on at the real movie-nerds. If you have a Laseractive with the Mega Drive-addon, you have the best parts from two worlds in one unit. You got to love that.

Indeed. And those (non-anamorphic) Theatrical Editions were in fact direct transfers from the Laserdisc versions.
    So would you say the DVDs are better, or the original Laserdisc versions? To be honest Laserdisc has always fascinated me since I first saw one when our school used them as a lot of Educational programs were released on the format.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    So would you say the DVDs are better, or the original Laserdisc versions? To be honest Laserdisc has always fascinated me since I first saw one when our school used them as a lot of Educational programs were released on the format.
    I can't really compare, since I own neither of them, but I do know that the DVD's were considered to be of pretty poor quality. If they were in fact ported straight from the Laserdisc, then the transfer process plus the added MPEG-2 compression artifacts would probably mean that the Laserdisc versions look better. But if the theatrical versions had been transferred properly from a good quality source and in anamorphic widescreen, then the DVD versions would probably have been a good step up from the Laserdisc versions.

Unfortunately, George Lucas wants us all to forget the theatrical editions and embrace the 'improved' special editions, so we'll probably never see a properly remastered DVD or Blu-ray of the theatrical editions.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

LD may have died, but the players only died recently.. Pioneer was STILL making and selling the players till just a year or two ago.. No, seriously.. They were LD/DVD combo units.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Unfortunately, George Lucas wants us all to forget the theatrical editions and embrace the 'improved' special editions, so we'll probably never see a properly remastered DVD or Blu-ray of the theatrical editions.
    I flat out hate this about Star Wars. The Special Edition is awful if you ask me. the CGI sticks out like a sore thumb and some changes are just flat out wrong. And lets not forget that some of the effects like the Lightsabers in the 2004 Special Edition DVD look worse than the Theatrical version on the 2nd Disc.

Yea, never try and improve a masterpiece.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

Well, you can improve a masterpiece, but only if they are *minor* improvements. Look at what they did with Blade Runner for the Final Cut for example, that was absolutely fantastic.

Problem with Blade Runner, is there is way too many damned versions of that movie, I don't know what the REAL theatrical version is anymore.

Thread Information